The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chinese Language  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Chinese Language
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Mod note: split off from another topic.

Confed, you know how moby is.  Dude is constantly arguing with everyone about everything.

:laugh:   tiphat

Ni how ma?  Sh’i sh’i

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Chinese Language
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
Confed, you know how moby is.  Dude is constantly arguing with everyone about everything.

Me, I got no issues with anyone on this forum except for him.  And maybe Wiz when he's drunk.

Ni how ma?  Sh’i sh’i

That I understand that must mean I’m assimilating on some level.

Moby will be along in a minute to tell you that you spelled it wrong, at what inflection to pronounce the “ma” (somewhat raised IIRC) and he just happens to be sat with 76 Chinese people who will correct you in case of doubt.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »

Of course I know you will now claim multi million dollar Chinese deals and fluency in Mandarin. Or perhaps ‘natural’ Cantonese.......
All while sitting alongside a gaggle of Chinese friends who are sagely nodding along in agreement with our very own KnowledgeTsar.

Huan ying lao dao zhong guo! Welcome to China!  Trust me the Chinese would be most repulsed by a character such as Moby. a loud mouth know it all with no "guan xi" and "mian zi".  The concept of "giving face".

I am sure my Cantonese brethren would utter the phrase "gwei lo" at Moby, literally "white devil"...a crass but acceptable term for a foreigner in China.

Online Guile

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »

Me, I got no issues with anyone on this forum except for him.  And maybe Wiz when he's drunk.

Ni how ma?  Sh’i sh’i

Moby will be along in a minute to tell you that you spelled it wrong, at what inflection to pronounce the “ma” (somewhat raised IIRC) and he just happens to be sat with 76 Chinese people who will correct you in case of doubt.

Bu yong bu yong! No need to be polite my Taoist friend...

If you really want to get proper, the ping yin would be "Ni hao ma? xie xie...  The "ma" in this case is a neutral tone....considering I teach Chinese to Russians I ought to know hahahah :chuckle:

Manny hope you get some good dim sum and noodles while in China.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 07:33:18 PM »
I am sure my Cantonese brethren would utter the phrase "gwei lo" at Moby, literally "white devil"...a crass but acceptable term for a foreigner in China.

That’s like laowai in Mandarin, right?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Guile

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »

That’s like laowai in Mandarin, right?

Dui! (correct)...although lao wai is a more neutral term.  It literally means "old foreign". 

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:35:09 PM »

Ni how ma?  Sh’i sh’i

Bu yong bu yong! No need to be polite my Taoist friend...

If you really want to get proper, the ping yin would be "Ni hao ma? xie xie...  The "ma" in this case is a neutral tone....considering I teach Chinese to Russians I ought to know hahahah :chuckle:

Manny hope you get some good dim sum and noodles while in China.

Thanks buddy that’s awesome. I can say it pretty well however was just guessing at spelling. When are you going back to Russia? Being fluent in Chinese nowadays is prolly better than being fluent in English.  tiphat

Online Guile

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »

Thanks buddy that’s awesome. I can say it pretty well however was just guessing at spelling. When are you going back to Russia? Being fluent in Chinese nowadays is prolly better than being fluent in English.  tiphat

no worries man! I don't like the romanization systems of Chinese, it has no relation to the English alphabet
xie would be better written as "shye" .  Hope to be back soon man, may have a cool gig lined up.

English on a global scale is still the most useful language but I have seen a huge interest in people wanted to learn Chinese as a 2nd or 3rd language.
I have some Russian friends who studied in China and are quite fluent.  I met a German guy while traveling who spent a year there too, very surprised when he started talking to me in Chinese! 

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:01:14 AM »
Quote from: Guile link
I don't like the romanization systems of Chinese, it has no relation to the English alphabet
xie would be better written as "shye”

I met a bloke yesterday I’m planning to do some business with, added him to the WeChat like you do, and the dude is called Xu. I immediately edited his contact name to Xu (Shoo). He asked me why I did that, and we had that very conversation....

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
dubbed his philosophy “669”.

Is there a "third wheel" during sex?   :evilgrin0002:   :loving:

Isn't there enough people already in China?   :chuckle:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/14/alibaba-founder-jack-ma-says-staff-should-have-sex-six-times/
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 06:29:49 PM »
No, not enough people in China. At least, not enough young ones.

Jack Ma seems like a bit of a strange cove though.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Guile

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 03:12:20 AM »
Quote from: Guile link
I don't like the romanization systems of Chinese, it has no relation to the English alphabet
xie would be better written as "shye”

I met a bloke yesterday I’m planning to do some business with, added him to the WeChat like you do, and the dude is called Xu. I immediately edited his contact name to Xu (Shoo). He asked me why I did that, and we had that very conversation....

that's why the ping yin system is flawed..English or european speakers need to learn specific chinese sounds...like in pingyin, zhi, shi, ci, xi, zi are pronounced different. i laugh when western reporters say President Xi's name.."shee" is what they say usually, but it should be more a "shyee" sound..not "sh".

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
i laugh when western reporters say President Xi's name.."shee" is what they say usually, but it should be more a "shyee" sound..not "sh".

Yeah, glad I'm not a reporter, I'd pronounce it eleven and move on.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
lei pook gai!

仆街? How charming.  (:)

or diu lay lo may heigh!!! 

𨳒你老母? Equally charming.  (:)

Online Guile

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 10:45:25 PM »
lei pook gai!

仆街? How charming.  (:)

or diu lay lo may heigh!!! 

𨳒你老母? Equally charming.  (:)

Cursing in Cantonese is an art form.  :chuckle:

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Is there a "third wheel" during sex?
  Just ran across this one...Ask Eric Swallwell.... Feng Feng [Fang Fang] What's her name?---" Oh Airec ..Never mind tape recorder...I like to listen our fun...tell me what you do...I love you long time."