The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: SkyUp Airlines - UA low cost airline  (Read 3444 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
SkyUp Airlines - UA low cost airline
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Have seen some good deals using this airline to get to Georgia - when others are rip off over Easter

Anybody used them ?

http://skyup.aero/en/
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: SkyUp Airlines - UA low cost airline
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
More to the point, would one be prepared to trust a low-cost Ukrainian airline?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:17:20 AM »

Sighs, on what basis are you making this 'point'?

I asked the Q based on anyone having EXPERIENCE  of them.. not your 'opinion' of Ukraime...

Plenty of Antonov's ( made in UA ) are still moving heavy tanks around and were good enogh for the MoD to lease to get UK tanks moved from Iraq to Afganistan...

I have used UIA, the departed Aerosvit and some small firm I forget the name of that flew me in a beat up AN 26 turbo prop to Cyprus from Belbek, Sevastopol, Crimea ( with some Cypriots praying for their safe arrival) and am still here .

Having flown on some ancient Russiam made aircraft ( that were banned from EU airspace) on Russian airlines ... I work on the premise that the pilots want to make a safe landing.))

I guess this lot are too new?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »

No problem, as long as the flights were based and serviced from somewhere, not in Ukraine, all fairs were held in escrow, or reliably bonded and all the flight staff were from some place other than Ukraine - then, nope, no problem at all.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »

Sighs, on what basis are you making this 'point'?

I asked the Q based on anyone having EXPERIENCE  of them.. not your 'opinion' of Ukraime...

Plenty of Antonov's ( made in UA ) are still moving heavy tanks around and were good enogh for the MoD to lease to get UK tanks moved from Iraq to Afganistan...

I have used UIA, the departed Aerosvit and some small firm I forget the name of that flew me in a beat up AN 26 turbo prop to Cyprus from Belbek, Sevastopol, Crimea ( with some Cypriots praying for their safe arrival) and am still here .

Having flown on some ancient Russiam made aircraft ( that were banned from EU airspace) on Russian airlines ... I work on the premise that the pilots want to make a safe landing.))

I guess this lot are too new?

Yep I have used both many times and still do and will be doing in a few months,  and also flown turbo prop planes usually internally in Ukraine lots, no problems so far! Bukovyna Airlines flying in and out of Chernivtsi International can be a bit hairy, especially on landing over that hill in the runway and trying to miss the cabbage patch at the end that some enterprising Ukrainian has built to harvest veg, but all adds to the adventure  :laugh:

Слава Україні

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »

No problem, as long as the flights were based and serviced from somewhere, not in Ukraine, all fairs were held in escrow, or reliably bonded and all the flight staff were from some place other than Ukraine - then, nope, no problem at all.

..and look who arrives to ( dare I point out the bloomin' obvious ) troll a perfectly serious Q?

I'm very happy to fly Russian airlines - AeroFlot, Redwings and Pobeda ( are all the same group - I think... but if you read these:

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/the-worlds-10-deadliest-airlines/

https://www.thetravel.com/10-safest-airlines-and-10-most-accident-prone-airlines/

Would you want to ?

Seriously, Skyup have flights to a few EU locations so would have to prove they are safe - as do the Russian firms

Found a flight to Georgia with Wizz for £24 - travelling light - so the question is academic - for now

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
I would rather pay more and arrive in one piece ..life is to valuable to die for some cheapskate who forgot to put some fuel in the bloody plane!! :ROFL:

Pobeda do a flight to Standstead from Pitter at just 30.00GBP some times , no way would I risk it! Were off to the UK in June and booked with Rossiya they have a new direct flight to Gatwick daily for around 70.00GBP and im a bit worried even flying with them.. BA is often not bad but June is usually more expensive..

I can't use any airline any more belonging to a EU country on principle .. they ain't having my cash!
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 01:29:16 PM »
I would rather pay more and arrive in one piece ..life is to valuable to die for some cheapskate who forgot to put some fuel in the bloody plane!! :ROFL:

So would I, however, sometimes there is little option, you either take the only carrier into an airport and an 80 minute flight or a 10 hour road trip spent dodging potholes.
Слава Україні

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »

Pobeda do a flight to Standstead from Pitter at just 30.00GBP some times , no way would I risk it! Were off to the UK in June and booked with Rossiya they have a new direct flight to Gatwick daily for around 70.00GBP and im a bit worried even flying with them.. BA is often not bad but June is usually more expensive..

I can't use any airline any more belonging to a EU country on principle .. they ain't having my cash!

I fly Aeroflot this summer, for about $700 per person :P beat that, its a night-flight too, if I wanted daytime i could only book business-class for $4000 total
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 06:46:31 AM »
I fly Aeroflot this summer, for about $700 per person :P beat that, its a night-flight too, if I wanted daytime i could only book business-class for $4000 total

Sure, because economy class tickets to SIP (as well as KGD, KHV, VVO and some other directions) are kind of "sponsored" by Russian government.

Thus you can purchase either a "flat" economy tariff (no upgrades to biz with miles possible, only 25% miles earned) - or full rate business.

https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-ru/sabre/manual_tariffs/new_dsu/flat_e
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Olga_Mouse

SkyUp Airlines - UA low cost airline
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
I would rather pay more and arrive in one piece.. life is to valuable to die for some cheapskate who forgot to put some fuel in the bloody plane!! :ROFL:

Pobeda do a flight to Standstead from Piter at just 30.00GBP some times, no way would I risk it!
Were off to the UK in June and booked with Rossiya they have a new direct flight to Gatwick daily for around 70.00GBP and i'm a bit worried even flying with them..
Both Pobeda and Rossija belong to Aeroflot group, so are presumable quite safe.
Though Pobeda has many humiliating rules and is simply uncomfortable.
Rossija operates on the old SU and UN planes, and has quite a small distance between seat rows.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 06:51:10 AM »

I'm very happy to fly Russian airlines - AeroFlot, Redwings and Pobeda ( are all the same group - I think...)

Hi Moby,

you're right about Pobeda, but not about Red Wings.

The airlines members of Aeroflot group are Aeroflot, Rossija (hub: LED), Aurora (Far East) and Pobeda (discounter).

https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-ru/about/subsidiaries

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »

Sure, because economy class tickets to SIP (as well as KGD, KHV, VVO and some other directions) are kind of "sponsored" by Russian government.

Thus you can purchase either a "flat" economy tariff (no upgrades to biz with miles possible, only 25% miles earned) - or full rate business.

https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-ru/sabre/manual_tariffs/new_dsu/flat_e

I wouldn't want to know what my flights would cost 'unsponsored' then  :o I already thought this was outrageously expensive. Last year I paid $1500 total, instead of the ~2500 this time.

Flights to Italy/Spain/Greece etc, are all far cheaper than this one
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 12:36:27 AM »

I'm very happy to fly Russian airlines - AeroFlot, Redwings and Pobeda ( are all the same group - I think...)

Hi Moby,

you're right about Pobeda, but not about Red Wings.

The airlines members of Aeroflot group are Aeroflot, Rossija (hub: LED), Aurora (Far East) and Pobeda (discounter).

https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-ru/about/subsidiaries

Thanks for the info, Olga

Sorry, I missed the response, until now

A scary thing about RU aviation  disasters...how many times do we hear 'pilot
error '?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:29 AM »

I only recently was saying about dangerous on Russian carriers.. I was on this flight last night, about 20,000 feet up on decent in to St Petersburg the ******** started nosediving nearly, just shooting down like in a movie where the plane has been hit and bombs on down to the  ground on fire.. just for a few mins probably less, not sure what happened engine failure or some thing but the cabin crew looked terrified whilst chucking bags and cases in to the toilets and strapping them selves in emergency seating near escape exits , I was in the very back seat, looked at the girl and she was ***** bricking it!! Must of only lasted 90 seconds .. but a lot happened and when you hear on the speaker "Emergency landing Emergency landing " at 20,000 feet it is not nice..lucky I'm a survivalist so had a plan ...Must of been 50 fire engines on the ground when we landed with their lights flashing ready to rescue our burning bodies  :laugh:

Checked the news when I was home to see what happened :

https://topspb.tv/news/2019/05/15/smiekipazh-samoleta-iz-londona-v-peterburg-podal-signal-trevogi-pered-posadkoj/?fbclid=IwAR21LBKmvkR2j1jPKFET4j7ylUNAJyDBRl_nu_UCsOLK1-xWmkMzJrFQkI4

I can say again.. be carful flying in Russia..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Steveboys' scary flight
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:27:39 AM »
SH-It.. no wonder they were bricking it  - *I* would have been

You were in a AirBus -A319

At approx 19:05 GMT your plane fell from 35000 ft to 5000 feet over a few mins  - then completed the journey at c.200 feet  and travelling much slower than high altitude velocities

All info - including a playback of your flight available in the Flightradar 24 app

Before - over Finland

After the rapid descent:

Well, at least you are still with us ;)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:31 AM »

I only recently was saying about dangerous on Russian carriers.. I was on this flight last night, about 20,000 feet up on decent in to St Petersburg the ******** started nosediving nearly, just shooting down like in a movie where the plane has been hit and bombs on down to the  ground on fire.. just for a few mins probably less, not sure what happened engine failure or some thing but the cabin crew looked terrified whilst chucking bags and cases in to the toilets and strapping them selves in emergency seating near escape exits , I was in the very back seat, looked at the girl and she was ***** bricking it!! Must of only lasted 90 seconds .. but a lot happened and when you hear on the speaker "Emergency landing Emergency landing " at 20,000 feet it is not nice..lucky I'm a survivalist so had a plan ...Must of been 50 fire engines on the ground when we landed with their lights flashing ready to rescue our burning bodies  :laugh:

Checked the news when I was home to see what happened :

https://topspb.tv/news/2019/05/15/smiekipazh-samoleta-iz-londona-v-peterburg-podal-signal-trevogi-pered-posadkoj/?fbclid=IwAR21LBKmvkR2j1jPKFET4j7ylUNAJyDBRl_nu_UCsOLK1-xWmkMzJrFQkI4

I can say again.. be carful flying in Russia..

Glad you made it out alive Steve!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:24 AM »
Steve,
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Please carry on!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
Now personally, I’m not bothered by a little atmospheric turmoil, but that sounds like it got pretty fun pretty quick. Ever ridden in a Pitts Special? Like a trackless roller-coaster.

I’m sure the majors are dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s but no one is perfect either.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online AvHdB

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
Decades ago I flew from the New York area to Toronto, City Island airport which is downtown. Off we took in a sunny day the Haviland did not have a lot going for it twin propeller made of corrugated aluminum. It was an ugly looking plane. As we flew to our altitude we went through one cloud on exiting we heard a resounding bang and the entire plane shook there were some 12 passengers mostly business types on board stewardess, pilot and copilot.

The stewardess came down the aisle and offered us drinks, coffee or tea at 9 AM. Again we went through a cloud and again the plane shuddered as we exited. Sufdenly the curtain was thrown back from the cockpit and the pilot informed us it was nothing to worry about, ice would form on the wings in the clouds and would fall off once the sun was again on the wings.

We all had a couple stiff ones.

Eventually after an hour and a half of this we landed in the fog at City Island. Customs and immigration were a little bit pertrubed by the fact that we were mostly mildly inebriated in the morning, but we passed through and got to the ferry. Only problem The ferry was not running because of the fog. We were stuck on City Island for about an hour waiting for the fog to lift.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
Steve all the best on the lucky landing... any reports as to what the real problem was?

Sounds eerily like the problems with the damned Boeing 737 max and their undocumented Stall Prevention technology that turns seat of the pants trained pilots into crash and burns - just saying anything like that or just dodgy maintenance on the airframes and power plants?

Scandals several years ago where Spare Parts suppliers were certifying Engine and Airframe parts as tested for stress cracks etc that were never tested and put back on planes resulting exploded mid-air engine problems...

Sounds like a possibility with lesser known airlines under maintenance cost control pressures.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
Decades ago I flew from the New York area to Toronto, City Island airport which is downtown. Off we took in a sunny day the Haviland did not have a lot going for it twin propeller made of corrugated aluminum. It was an ugly looking plane. As we flew to our altitude we went through one cloud on exiting we heard a resounding bang and the entire plane shook there were some 12 passengers mostly business types on board stewardess, pilot and copilot.

The stewardess came down the aisle and offered us drinks, coffee or tea at 9 AM. Again we went through a cloud and again the plane shuddered as we exited. Sufdenly the curtain was thrown back from the cockpit and the pilot informed us it was nothing to worry about, ice would form on the wings in the clouds and would fall off once the sun was again on the wings.

We all had a couple stiff ones.

Eventually after an hour and a half of this we landed in the fog at City Island. Customs and immigration were a little bit pertrubed by the fact that we were mostly mildly inebriated in the morning, but we passed through and got to the ferry. Only problem The ferry was not running because of the fog. We were stuck on City Island for about an hour waiting for the fog to lift.

And now it's a good story!  tiphat

A couple of De Havillands bought it in a midair just the other day up in Alaska... too bad but those are great little airplanes.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »
I don't know what happened, but I can still hear the gushing noise as we were going down pretty dam fast, It never even sounded like the engines were running wether he was emptying fuel or what , you never seen such a petrified cabin crew chucking every thing in to the toilets ..absolutely crazy

There was lots of claps and cheers on landing and a few tears..and Im flying with the same bloody airline second week of June back to the Uk with the wife.. I will not be coming back with them for sure.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
Steve all the best on the lucky landing... any reports as to what the real problem was?

Sounds eerily like the problems with the damned Boeing 737 max and their undocumented Stall Prevention technology that turns seat of the pants trained pilots into crash and burns - just saying anything like that or just dodgy maintenance on the airframes and power plants?

Scandals several years ago where Spare Parts suppliers were certifying Engine and Airframe parts as tested for stress cracks etc that were never tested and put back on planes resulting exploded mid-air engine problems...

Sounds like a possibility with lesser known airlines under maintenance cost control pressures.

No, Mikey..

The Boeing 737 Max issue was being raised months before and the sensor issues occurred during rapid ascents  - as in during take-off and swiftly climbing to altitude

AA pilots didn't even know MCAS was installed on their Max'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48281282

Steve's plane was an AIRBUS A-319 - NO fatalities in a long service - one of THE safest planes to fly in

This was either a maintenance issue ( lack of ) or something serious  - which could be due to the former as the Pilot had a reason to try to lose height so quickly

It flew a long way at c.2500ft and did not try to regain altitude - VERY interesting

An engine failure normally does not result in a dive - one engine is enough

I am meeting a BA 777 pilot, later - I'll ask him

Online AvHdB

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
My first flight to Ukraine back when you needed a visa with an American passport. A cold wintry day as we landed on a KLM airplane at KBP the entire plane erupted in . . .

. . . applause.