The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VK Ban for Ukrainians!?!  (Read 16581 times)

Offline alwayspete

• Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting!
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: VK Ban for Ukrainians!?!
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »
As a man, how happy would I be to be stalked across the Internet by some rando using my profile pics and image search? Hard to imagine many women having a more positive attitude.

One comes to understand just how it might be that some men are unable to find companions in their own country.

Guys, for those who think stalking women is OK - it isn't.

Not stalking but investigating. There's a difference because the intentions are different. Unfortunately there's no way else to find if the woman is authentic or not. It's part of the journey. You don't not want to trust a Ukrainian woman blind folded. I wouldn't.

You misunderstand. It's not the inability to find a companion in my own country, but my choice where to find her and how to live my life! There are many men who choose to do so and there's nothing wrong in it. What's really your problem?

Nobody here said stalking women is okay either. That's not the goal.

Pete :")

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 01:54:33 AM »

Those are the rules yet depending on the local owner of the site and the gal those rules might be ignored.

A gal I was writing to gave me her real address and invited me to visit on the 4th letter.

Yes I went and saw her, had a great time with a borderline nymphomaniac, but in the end she wasn’t compatible for marriage. I would say it was more like the gals on Russian social media who advertise for a guy to pay for their vacay in exchange for an affair.

However that anomaly resulted in me wasting some more cash on writing to other gals on the same site and another until I learned my lesson.

Thanks for your share! Which was the dating website you used? Was it UADreams? Wasn't the woman clear on what she wanted in her letters at first, before you went in with "expectations"? Why would you waste more cash and time on the same website after such a bad experience?! :dh: And look who advising me. But I really appreciate your input! Every bit is educative!

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 02:38:51 AM »
:dh:

Pete

You are wasting your money and kidding yourself ..

Many of us have been in the same situation as you - worn the t-shirt...

We didn't have such sites to 'wise us up' ;)

There's FAR better places to spend your money

As I had mentioned before in one of my previous posts, I did do a lot of reading & research on online dating especially Ukrainian dating before I ever registered @ UADreams. I knew what I was getting into. I wanted to know for myself and gave it a very short run. Nothing wrong in that. Experience is experience. I haven't wasted huge lumps of money, time or emotions on such websites like others have. I'm glad this website's here for all of us to share & wise up. I'm not a know it all guy. I prefer to continue educating myself and sometimes the best way to do it is to smartly participate and find out for oneself.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 02:42:53 AM »
Pete, you have received good advice.

Is it possible that either you have a hard time accepting this or are a shill for the dating site?

Yes I agree the guidance has been great so far. I'm taking it all in like a dry sponge. I don't have a hard time accepting the facts at all. Accepting the facts doesn't mean no more raising further queries or doubts to be cleared.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »

Pete,

What you've just done is paid a few bucks for tuition of the School of Hard
Knocks but you've found yourself here before you've gotten your organs
harvested, now you can get going down the right path.

Udachi !! (means good luck in Russian)

Bill

Thanks Bill for the time and efforts you've put in for that descriptive post! :thumbsup: Yes I intend to do it right Bill. Thanks for the very helpful links. Will get into that. Yes Bill I will use this website to the best. Yes we meet all sorts of people on a forum. Different attitudes, perspectives & experiences. Will definitely heed and remember this advice of yours! I don't know about the rest of the guys for sure but you are a decent man! I truly am sorry to hear that your previous relationships were messed up by complete losers. I hope you are doing well now. Stick around we surely need men like you. Udachi to you too Bill!

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2019, 03:16:02 AM »

However, unless I have made it clear that the attention is unwanted AND the attention continues, then that is not stalking.

If I am using a site set up to protect my privacy then, as far as I am concerned, anyone who chooses to suborn that model to save a dollar, or any other reason, is not somebody I want to know.

The lady I'm concerned about hasn't made it clear that the attention is unwanted. So like you say it's not stalking.

Saving a dollar is not the intention. Finding the truth of the lady and her genuineness is the goal. Unfortunately there is not other way. Especially when one has to deal with a woman on the other side of the globe.

Whether you choose to swallow down & believe every word an online dating woman says is your choice. Not mine though.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2019, 03:49:51 AM »
Pete, Pete, Pete

'doing it right' is not making excuses ... it is LISTENING to good advice - having asked for - and received it ..;)

Every cent you give this site is a waste of money and while guys like you think, "this one will be different" / "this is an experiment, worth doing for fun"  - they are a stain the dating scene
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »

Some also use the excuse of the IMBRA law recently passed to support their rule of no direct communication between the two parties.  But, the underlying reason is really just the money to run the business.

Many of the ladies on that site say that they are happy to have a "body guard" to help them and protect them in their dating ventures.  Is this really true?  Perhaps not.  I found it humorous with the hand written statements posted on the dating site by the male members.  Some look like chicken scratch.   :chuckle: You could never get in touch with the man to verify his "success story".   (:)

Thanks for sharing the information.

The IMBRA law is meant for American citizens alone, isn't it? But sure, the agencies will grab the opportunity for an excuse when they can.

Why can't the women try contacting the men directly then, if there are no punitive damages. I don't think they are backwards with computers, internet & smart phones. They already got to know a fair share of the man they have been in touch with. So if they are really interested, why hesitate? I think it will be much easier for them to find a man on a social Network website than vice versa.

You mean the ladies at UADreams said that about the bodyguard thing? Maybe it's intended as a joke. But it makes you wonder the mental frame & insecurity of the women there in general. Previous bad experiences? Maybe. I guess it takes a lot of effort on the man's side to convince & earn a good Ukrainian woman's trust. The good ones don't trust easily.

Yes it's so true. I too read several success story reviews at UADreams - the readable ones :) - to find a way to contact the men. But no contact info shared. May be they did share it but the agency took it out. Who knows? A lot of possibilities.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2019, 04:06:56 AM »

Not sure about being a promo guy for a dating site, but some may get a "high" from communicating with all of the beautiful babes, just like vaping.     :party0031:

There is no high in communicating with translators. Getting high wasn't my objective over there either.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:18 AM »
If a person joins a dating site where the communication is moderated through the site then that is a choice by the client. There are alternatives available that do not place such restrictions.

If I use such a site then I do not need to explicitly tell anyone seeing my profile to not try to find me elsewhere, it is implicit in the arrangement that both parties agreed to when they joined the site.

So, yes, you try to track me down elsewhere, using information found on the site I joined makes you a stalker.

Of course, the stalker will not see it that way, he/she will find plenty of ways to justify their unwelcome activity. Some might do it with the justification of saving some money, some will do so with the justification that it is 'research'. Neither is valid in this context.

If my profile is on Facebook and is open to you then you are free to see my profile elsewhere, that's the deal I made with Facebook. 'Research' away.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »

Those are the rules yet depending on the local owner of the site and the gal those rules might be ignored.

A gal I was writing to gave me her real address and invited me to visit on the 4th letter.

Yes I went and saw her, had a great time with a borderline nymphomaniac, but in the end she wasn’t compatible for marriage. I would say it was more like the gals on Russian social media who advertise for a guy to pay for their vacay in exchange for an affair.

However that anomaly resulted in me wasting some more cash on writing to other gals on the same site and another until I learned my lesson.

Thanks for your share! Which was the dating website you used? Was it UADreams? Wasn't the woman clear on what she wanted in her letters at first, before you went in with "expectations"?

Are you really this dumb? Spending a few weeks with an attractive and willing nympho is a highlight for most guys, but it’s easy to ascertain that this excludes you.  :laugh:

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »

Thanks for your share! Which was the dating website you used? Was it UADreams? Wasn't the woman clear on what she wanted in her letters at first, before you went in with "expectations"?

Are you really this dumb? Spending a few weeks with an attractive and willing nympho is a highlight for most guys, but it’s easy to ascertain that this excludes you.  :laugh:

Correctly deduced Einstein! Sorry to disappoint. But I'm not the fornicating type! Plus you haven't answered the important questions or you just made up a fantasy story to impress me of your genius! It's quite clear who's dumb here.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
If a person joins a dating site where the communication is moderated through the site then that is a choice by the client. There are alternatives available that do not place such restrictions.

If I use such a site then I do not need to explicitly tell anyone seeing my profile to not try to find me elsewhere, it is implicit in the arrangement that both parties agreed to when they joined the site.

So, yes, you try to track me down elsewhere, using information found on the site I joined makes you a stalker.

Of course, the stalker will not see it that way, he/she will find plenty of ways to justify their unwelcome activity. Some might do it with the justification of saving some money, some will do so with the justification that it is 'research'. Neither is valid in this context.

If my profile is on Facebook and is open to you then you are free to see my profile elsewhere, that's the deal I made with Facebook. 'Research' away.

I get the ethics part that you are stating. Okay? Save some money? You clearly have no idea how much money men have lost because of these scammers. More over money, time, mental & emotional damage. These are shark infested waters. Let me add most of Eastern Europe is dog eat dog. Not just at the high levels (politicians & oligarchs) but even street level. You might be an honest decent man. You have my respect Sir. But unfortunately your ethics & bleeding heart not only won't be rewarded in this industry, but will also get abused and trashed all over the place. I rather do a little stalking - if that's what you want to call it - or hire a private detective and find out the true whereabouts of the lady rather than swallow the illusion pill provided by the dating websites and the women in it. What these colourful dating websites and the gorgeous women sell can't be blindly trusted. I'm not a fool to invest my time, money and emotions on an illusion. Not for me. May be for you. Good luck!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2019, 11:16:03 AM »

Correctly deduced Einstein! Sorry to disappoint. But I'm not the fornicating type! Plus you haven't answered the important questions or you just made up a fantasy story to impress me of your genius! It's quite clear who's dumb here.

Aha, so our Pistol Pete is suddenly a closeted Mormon virgin, who comes here asking questions about his fantasy gal at UA fantasies. Pay close attention to his reply to Andrew, ladies and gents.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »

I get the ethics part that you are stating. Okay? Save some money? You clearly have no idea how much money men have lost because of these scammers. More over money, time, mental & emotional damage. These are shark infested waters. Let me add most of Eastern Europe is dog eat dog. Not just at the high levels (politicians & oligarchs) but even street level. You might be an honest decent man. You have my respect Sir. But unfortunately your ethics & bleeding heart not only won't be rewarded in this industry, but will also get abused and trashed all over the place. I rather do a little stalking - if that's what you want to call it - or hire a private detective and find out the true whereabouts of the lady rather than swallow the illusion pill provided by the dating websites and the women in it. What these colourful dating websites and the gorgeous women sell can't be blindly trusted. I'm not a fool to invest my time, money and emotions on an illusion. Not for me. May be for you. Good luck!

Fascinating! Pistol Pete is suddenly an expert on all things in Eastern Europe! I’ll just place his first post here.  :coffeeread:

Hi guys,

I met a lady on a dating website. Of course it's one of those dating websites that forbids the sharing of any sort of personal contacts within the website & discourages direct contact outside the website. Obviously I don't trust a lady who's interested to communicate with me only on a paid website - where everything one touches cost $$$ - & no where else. So when I asked her to contact me directly via VK, this was her response.

""I don't use the VK, it's forbidden in Ukraine because it's a Russian social network. Do you know that? It's blocked for all Ukrainians.""

Could she be telling the truth? Since when was this ban introduced in Ukraine? How strict is the ban? Are Ukrainians utterly & completely cut off from VK & are unable to access VK at all, no matter what? I ask this 'cause, even when I visited VK today, I could find 100s of Ukrainians from various states on-line & active! So if the former is true how can all these Ukrainians access VK without a problem? Like she wrote, she might have made the personal choice not to use VK. But I don't think it blocked for all Ukrainians. So to me her reply seems like a mix of truth and lie.

What do you personally think of her reply? Is there a social media platform just for Ukrainians? I found a SM website named OK. Is this Russian as well? I have no clue where to go to in order to set this website to English. So I've only managed to create an account with some effort! Please share your thoughts & tips on these. Thanks ahead to everyone. Bye for now.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
Andrewfi sits in his La-Z-Boy in Idaho, eating  :popcorn: as he learns all about Eastern Europe and how life is there from a real expert. :)

tiphat

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »

Some also use the excuse of the IMBRA law recently passed to support their rule of no direct communication between the two parties.  But, the underlying reason is really just the money to run the business.

Many of the ladies on that site say that they are happy to have a "body guard" to help them and protect them in their dating ventures.  Is this really true?  Perhaps not.  I found it humorous with the hand written statements posted on the dating site by the male members.  Some look like chicken scratch.   :chuckle: You could never get in touch with the man to verify his "success story".   (:)

Thanks for sharing the information.

The IMBRA law is meant for American citizens alone, isn't it? But sure, the agencies will grab the opportunity for an excuse when they can.

Why can't the women try contacting the men directly then, if there are no punitive damages. I don't think they are backwards with computers, internet & smart phones. They already got to know a fair share of the man they have been in touch with. So if they are really interested, why hesitate? I think it will be much easier for them to find a man on a social Network website than vice versa.

You mean the ladies at UADreams said that about the bodyguard thing? Maybe it's intended as a joke. But it makes you wonder the mental frame & insecurity of the women there in general. Previous bad experiences? Maybe. I guess it takes a lot of effort on the man's side to convince & earn a good Ukrainian woman's trust. The good ones don't trust easily.

Yes it's so true. I too read several success story reviews at UADreams - the readable ones :) - to find a way to contact the men. But no contact info shared. May be they did share it but the agency took it out. Who knows? A lot of possibilities.

Yes, the IMBRA law was passed and applies to USA residents.  However, some dating agencies have tried to use it for other residents as well. For the most part, people in the USA consider it be more "red tape".

Online dating is becoming more common than local dating.  Yes, it should be easier to contact people from all over the world more easier now than 20 years ago.  But many here in this country do not date over the internet and I am sure many overseas will not do so as well.  Dating overseas carries the implication that you will have to sacrifice your life in your native land to change direction drastically.  The vast majority of the world will not do so (not counting the migrations at the southern US border and European migration from Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, etc.) even where romance is concerned.  Note that the women do not have any contact restrictions when dating local guys, so you see the inequality being applied here?

Regarding a "body guard" during dating a stranger.  Advice has been given not to do dating with a stranger without adequate protection and supervision.  You could lose your life.  While very rare, some out there have significant mental problems.

UADreams was among one of the few sites that I looked at over several years ago.  They allow you to write a free introductory letter to any profile.  I wrote a letter to a lady who worked at a fitness center.  She later wrote back saying that she got a new job at another city and was cancelling her contract with the dating site and wished me good luck.  I guess that is how the ball bounces.   :duh:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
Genuine women choose sites that moderate communication in order that they don't have to deal with an endless flood of dick pics from no hopers, granddads, chancers, perverts and other pond life.

This deluge of incoming communication is an ongoing dating industry issue. That's why, when you stalk a woman from a private site to a public one, there's a very good chance that your (possibly) innocent bit of sleuthing will not be well received.

The problem for naive loners like our hero in this thread is that sites which enable women to protect themselves can also be an ideal environment to milk hopeful lonely guys. It's down to the bloke to communicate carefully with the objects of his desire to ensure their existence and determine their purpose.

Or, perhaps, if minded toward the 'research' approach, just use sites that do not limit one's ability to contact women and even allow one to stalk research across platforms. A vip membership to mamba.ru or one of its branded clones is inexpensive enough for almost all to afford.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
Genuine women choose sites that moderate communication in order that they don't have to deal with an endless flood of dick pics from no hopers, granddads, chancers, perverts and other pond life.

This deluge of incoming communication is an ongoing dating industry issue. That's why, when you stalk a woman from a private site to a public one, there's a very good chance that your (possibly) innocent bit of sleuthing will not be well received.

The problem for naive loners like our hero in this thread is that sites which enable women to protect themselves can also be an ideal environment to milk hopeful lonely guys. It's down to the bloke to communicate carefully with the objects of his desire to ensure their existence and determine their purpose.

Or, perhaps, if minded toward the 'research' approach, just use sites that do not limit one's ability to contact women and even allow one to stalk research across platforms. A vip membership to mamba.ru or one of its branded clones is inexpensive enough for almost all to afford.

Good post. I would add:

Hop on a plane and arrange for an English speaking guide to assist you in your travels. Think with your big head and not your little one.

No matter how much time a guy spends here there’s no replacement for getting your feet onto the ground of whatever country you wish to visit. In fact time spent at a forum is mostly wasted.

Have a backup plan which includes access to some emergency funds. Be willing to be flexible and have a good attitude. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

And if you’re a prude who doesn’t like to fornicate stay home as the number of 18 year old virgins in Ukraine is prolly lower than most other countries around the World.  :chuckle:

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2019, 02:02:01 AM »

Aha, so our Pistol Pete is suddenly a closeted Mormon virgin, who comes here asking questions about his fantasy gal at UA fantasies. Pay close attention to his reply to Andrew, ladies and gents.

Just a normal honest Ukrainian girl. I've got no fantasies like you do.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2019, 02:06:32 AM »
Andrewfi sits in his La-Z-Boy in Idaho, eating  :popcorn: as he learns all about Eastern Europe and how life is there from a real expert. :)

tiphat

Enjoy your popcorn. I'm enjoying my green tea. I'm no expert. But I'm no fool. I keep learning.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2019, 02:18:48 AM »

Fascinating! Pistol Pete is suddenly an expert on all things in Eastern Europe! I’ll just place his first post here.  :coffeeread:

It's Pete! And yes please do read my reply to "Mr. Know it all Andrew". I'm not an expert 'Mr. Confederate'! I've admitted it before & I never claimed to be. So stop it with your labels. My first post was meant to be my introduction to this tread wise guy.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2019, 03:44:33 AM »

Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I appreciate it. I'm am alone but not lonely. Not naive either. Neither a hero! Yes it's a shame that women in general are highly objectified and treated as sex objects by indecent men with no dignity, virtue, respect or family values. I strongly dislike such men. They are a shame to mankind.

Your point that must be highlighted is "websites which enable women to protect themselves can also be an ideal environment to milk hopeful guys" This guaranteed protection claimed by the dating websites are plain scam. Their men & women clients are adults who can protect themselves. Their aim is to keep you on the website and mint money by making sure of no direct communication. I don't recommend such a website to anyone. Especially pay per letter, video chat services offered by such websites.

You cannot determine a ladies purpose or ensure their true existence if you only choose to communicate on a website with a translator. In most cases yes you are corresponding with the translator not with the lady you see on the photograph. The lady on the webpage is unaware that she's getting letters from you. Hence if you meet her on a public platform, she will be surprised to see you chatting her up as if you were previous acquaintances. She'll just tell you straight out "I don't know you!". But by that time the naive type of man would have lost huge sums of money & time trusting an addictive website! Due to these reasons it's only wise to find other alternatives to find out the authenticity & motives of the lady one's interested in. Thanks for the tips on other websites that allows direct contact with their female clients. Helpful to many.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2019, 03:50:27 AM »
Nope, you're wrong.
But what do I know. I just sit in my Lay-Z-Boy in idaho, crossing swords with an obvious expert; well clued up on online dating, international relationships and life in Eastern Europe.  :popcorn:

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 04:08:14 AM »

Hop on a plane and arrange for an English speaking guide to assist you in your travels. Think with your big head and not your little one.

No matter how much time a guy spends here there’s no replacement for getting your feet onto the ground of whatever country you wish to visit. In fact time spent at a forum is mostly wasted.

Have a backup plan which includes access to some emergency funds. Be willing to be flexible and have a good attitude. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

And if you’re a prude who doesn’t like to fornicate stay home as the number of 18 year old virgins in Ukraine is prolly lower than most other countries around the World.  :chuckle:

If you had carefully read my previous posts, you would have understood that I am planning on trips to Ukraine. My posts on this thread is evidence enough to prove that I think with the right head. Time on the forum is only wasted when useless posts are made. I wouldn't recommend anyone to just hop on a plane and visit a country one wishes to visit especially Eastern Europe. Always people, try and do at least some research. But other than that, yes obvious but very good pointers overall for people who do not travel globally.

For your information I'm not prude. What others do with their bodies is not my concern. Women are not the reason I travel. There are more interesting things like experiencing in person & improving ones exposure to a country's history, language, people, culture, local food etc. than mindless sex. If you have to leave your country for just sex that's pathetic, isn't it?!

Registration