The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: List of scams  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
List of scams
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
I think it's good if we can all collectively make a list of scams a western tourist might encounter either while traveling or dating. 

I've read that while traveling it is common for someone on the streets in Russia to "accidentally" drop a wallet with money.  The unknowing tourist is tempted to pick it up and try to return it and is then accused of stealing part of the money.  I actually had this happen in Moscow in 2017 and since I had read about this I ignored it and continued walking but at a faster pace. 

Something I am always fearful of is for my wallet / phone / watch / passport to be stolen while I sleep.  this can obviously happen if you don't know the woman you're bringing back to your apt. 

Can anyone contribute anything else? 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: List of scams
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:11 PM »
Never saw this as an attempted scam..and I would simply inform the owner.. Honest, sl. negligent people do drop wallets /  purses / leave their passports /  plane tickets and are grateful to be informed..

I will wager far more instances than scam stunts

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »
Can anyone contribute anything else? 

Contribute money? Are you trying to scam us?

Years ago I had a guy walk next to me in Kiev. Spoke to me in Russian or Ukrainian. I replied back in English and he asked if I was American and a tourist. After a few minutes of conversation he said it was nice to meet me and walked faster leaving me behind. He dropped a small wallet and I picked up and returned it to him. Soon another guy walked up and flashed a badge saying he was police and ask the guy to open his wallet. Nothing was in it and supposedly I robbed the guy. The police wanted my wallet and some money. I was getting incredibly angry and wanted to punch somebody. The two guys gave each other the look to abort mission and they walked different directions quickly.

Ukrainian police today are supposed to be better since the overthrow of Yanukovych but before that I walked in a tunnel late at night. Two cops were in there and told me they need to inspect me. One padded me down and pulled out my wallet. I watched him holding my wallet but the other cop quickly turned me around but I turned around again to keep an eye on my wallet. I can't remember how much I had in the wallet but I suspect they took at least one large bill. I told my girl and the US embassy of this incident and they told me I shouldn't be walking in tunnels at night because the police could be in there.

Was in St Petersburg with my girl waiting for the subway. The wrist strap of her phone was hanging out of her pocket. Many thieves hang around the subway. Right before the subway doors closed, a thief goes in and pulls her phone out of the pocket after grabbing on the strap. I reach for his hand and barely missed it before the doors closed. If I got his hand, I would've broke it.

I stayed in an apartment on the top floor in Tashkent Uzbekistan right next to the presidential house. It's against the law for foreigners to stay so close to the president so a resident there reported me. Cops came to my apartment numerous times but I never answered as my girl instructed me not to but I opened the door one day when I thought she was to arrive and it was the cops. Seconds later she showed up and told me to stay there while she talk to the cops downstairs. One cop stayed with me but after 30 minutes I told him lets go downstairs. Basically I was told I was living there illegally and $100 will make everything alright. I made the owner of the apartment pay the bribe.

I've read numerous stories of shit happening to others. One guy got shot by a rubber bullet after pissing off a guy driving in an expensive car. One guy visited a girl and her boyfriend beat him up and robbed him. Girl disappeared after the beating so obviously a set up. Girls make a guy take off their pants and tell them to shower before sex. When the guy gets out of the shower, the girl and pants are gone. Andrew may want to repeat the story on someone knocking him out with his head bleeding in the snow. Fortunately he woke up the morning after. Other than the occasional BS in the FSU, there's nothing to worry about.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online Guile

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 12:31:36 AM »
Omega stop being so paranoid. I lived in Russia for long periods of time and not once did I encounter anything. no wallet drop. a few babukshas asking for money but nothing you wouldn't see in a NY subway or stateside.

It's not if you get scammed. it's using your brain and figuring out if it is a scam.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 01:23:47 AM »
By the way Billy, in Uzbekistan it is against the law for a tourist to stay in an apartment.  hotels only for tourists.  so technically you did break the local law. 

I've never heard of anyone getting beaten up though. 

I would say the fsu is safer than dating in other parts of the world. 

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 03:59:30 AM »
Belarus has always been clean, safe and very honest. I'm told that if any of the locals attempted to scam you, they'd get hammered by the state.

Ukraine was a bit different though, at least down the deep south. Numerous times I saw people in public areas putting notes down in front of you as you walked through. Common sense tells you that there's little point in picking up the equivalent of a £2 on a set up.

I also felt there was a tourist tax applied to much of the food, drink and taxi's too.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 04:45:17 AM »
I have never been scammed by police or otherwise on my FSU travels. I must just be lucky.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 05:35:00 AM »
I had the wallet scam run on me at Domodedovo airport near Moscow. It is a simple scam that relies upon the dishonesty of the mug. When it happened to me I simply told the guy that we shouldn't split the money, that he should take it the security desk. That buggered him up. Then his mate rolled up to 'reclaim' the wallet, tried to involve me. I said, OK, there's a problem, let's go have a chat with the police officer over there. They looked at each other, looked at me, smiled and said goodbye to me - walking off together. I knew what was going on from the moment I saw the wallet. I did not get upset or act annoyed but was level headed, polite and friendly and at all times, pretended that these two crooks were ordinary guys.

Gents, there's a simple rule of thumb - you can only fall victim to a con by being greedy, by expecting something more than you deserve for less than the required effort.

Getting mugged in Tallinn was my own fault and I was very lucky - my only lasting issue is an inability to spell certain words correctly, although for some months I was unable to write without producing a stream of gibberish. I broke one of my own rules - I was not situationally aware. I walked away from my usual path and did not keep my eyes on what was going on around me. I paid the price. Given the sub-zero weather, the state of my clothing and where I was left on the ground, I was lucky to not suffer from exposure and hypothermia. These days, I take taxis when I am going home late at night.

In Saint Petersburg, many years ago, I have had fake police trying to shake me down. I was always polite and made it clear that rather than put my possessions in anybody's hands that I would, instead, prefer to be taken to the police house. That was a lesson learned after losing a little money from a wallet handed over on request from a 'police officer'. After learning my lesson I was stopped once or twice but my refusal to hand anything over led to smiles and me being left to go on my way.

In Lithuania, I was once stopped by the police for speeding.  I had been speeding. They asked for money. I told them I had none but was willing to accompany them to an ATM to get some Lithuanian money. They were, quite obviously, going to make more money by stopping other cars than mine so I was allowed to proceed with smiles and good wishes.

If one is situationally aware then one is usually quite aware when something bad might be about to happen. Don't get mad, stay calm and, in my opinion, do not let on that you think they are trying to con you. Go along with the story but simply refuse to engage.

Also, when walking in a strange place, particularly at night, be ready to run out into the middle of the road if under threat. If the people you are concerned about are for real, it is most unlikely that they will follow you and call attention to themselves. Cars might hit you, but almost certainly will not. But if cars stop then it is even less likely that your attackers will follow you. The trick is to call attention to yourself and thus make yourself a high-risk target. When I got mugged I made a mistake of moving away from the side of the road and toward the side of a building that was several meters away from the road - silly, very silly!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 05:37:20 AM »
Oh, I forgot, somebody tried to scam me out of money when staying in an apartment in SPb. It was silly, the result was that I left the apartment an hour or so sooner than I planned and left the doors unlocked behind me. Lesson re-learned was to never, ever, let a local person book one's apartment. Even if it costs more, do it for yourself.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
I have never been scammed by police or otherwise on my FSU travels. I must just be lucky.

Driving a non RU plated car in Russia..it is VERY unlikely you will be stopped

Drive a new car..without plates (tags).. especially at night and you can bet you will be stopped..

I have never paid a bribe in Russia....locals get the crap...foreigners mean paperwork

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
By the way Billy, in Uzbekistan it is against the law for a tourist to stay in an apartment.  hotels only for tourists.  so technically you did break the local law. 

Well then, I broke the law multiple times. Come to think of it, the apartment manager asked for my passport every visit so he can take it to a hotel to get me registered.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »

Well then, I broke the law multiple times. Come to think of it, the apartment manager asked for my passport every visit so he can take it to a hotel to get me registered.

That used to happen in Russia too. Bung the receptionist a drink and you're sorted.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
I don't do scams and I'm 100% scam proof..

Never had any problems though..in Russia or any where .. if anyone wants to try and steal my bag or wife's bag go ahead.. ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Guile

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 01:08:47 AM »
Never saw this as an attempted scam..and I would simply inform the owner.. Honest, sl. negligent people do drop wallets /  purses / leave their passports /  plane tickets and are grateful to be informed..

I will wager far more instances than scam stunts

Shows you haven't been to Moscow or Russia. it's a WELL known scam. Google it.  then again when's the last time you were in Russia?

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
I've heard that before that Belarus is generally safer than Ukraine thanks to their president. 

Minsk is one of the few capitals where one can walk freely at night in the city center without any problems.  Its quite refreshing. 

So if a woman scams a western tourist or simply steals from him in any way, and one can identify her, would the local authorities favor the tourist or the local? 

Those of you that got beat up, did you report this to the authorities? 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
I've heard that before that Belarus is generally safer than Ukraine thanks to their president. 

Minsk is one of the few capitals where one can walk freely at night in the city center without any problems.  Its quite refreshing. 

So if a woman scams a western tourist or simply steals from him in any way, and one can identify her, would the local authorities favor the tourist or the local? 

Ah so, Belarus is safer thanks to President  'Luka Should go' ? ))

You should mention this to BL folk who seek an alternative - they get cameras in their faces

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »

If you was a Westerner and been scammed by a women you went to meet I don't think any countries authorities would care.. they would probably just laugh at you..probably best Not to report it..

But it is a different case if your a tourist and some one beats you up.. they police would not find that amusing and probably the perpetrator would get ten buckets of shit kicked out of him whilst in the police cell..

But how often does a tourist get beaten up?? never I would say , as people know the consequences of doing it, so little chance of walking down a dark street and getting beaten, unlike in the US..

But of course it is a different matter again if your a tourist out on the town, pubing it and clubbing it and happen to get a bit mouthy, but that's no different anywhere in the world...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 05:19:06 AM »
if your a tourist out on the town, pubing it ..

Steve,

I agreed with your assertion that Russia is safe for tourists but want to know what is 'pubing' - it is grabbing ladies private parts ? ;)

I'll stick to 'pubbing' it - in moderation ;)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 06:17:58 AM »
if your a tourist out on the town, pubing it ..

Steve,

I agreed with your assertion that Russia is safe for tourists but want to know what is 'pubing' - it is grabbing ladies private parts ? ;)

I'll stick to 'pubbing' it - in moderation ;)

oooohhh shit!! its like visiting 4/5 pubs in a night.." PUBING "   :laugh: :laugh:

You'r thinking about Pubic hair I think? Or public hair? Im totally confused  :sick0012:

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
If you was a Westerner and been scammed by a women you went to meet I don't think any countries authorities would care...  they would probably just laugh at you...

:nod: You'll look like a fool - and a fool (in strict accordance to jungle law, which is the main law in our part of woods) deserves being used (eaten).

probably best not to report it...

Unless you like to look stupid.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.