The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: US Navy in 'Freedom of Navigation' Provocation  (Read 965 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
US Navy in 'Freedom of Navigation' Provocation
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:22:28 AM »
US Navy Sails up Right to Russia's Main Pacific Fleet
Base in 'Freedom of Navigation' Provocation

It's as if Washington is trying to be as offensive as possible

An American destroyer sailed off the Russian coast, near the Pacific Fleet base in Vladivostok, in a first such stunt since the Cold War. Another US ship is expected in the Black Sea soon, amid tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

The USS MCCampbell (DDG-85) went into the vicinity of Peter the Great Bay to “challenge Russia's excessive maritime claims and uphold the rights, freedoms, and lawful uses of the sea” enjoyed by the US and others, Lieutenant Rachel McMarr, a spokesperson for the US Pacific Fleet, said in a statement.

The US Navy calls such stunts “Freedom of Navigation Operations” (FONOP). The last time a FONOP was conducted in this area was 1987, at the peak of Cold War tensions with the Soviet Union.

“These operations demonstrate the United States will fly, sail and operate wherever international law allows,” McMarr said. “That is true in the Sea of Japan, as in other places around the globe.”

Peter the Great Bay was named after the first emperor of Russia, and is dotted with bases of the Russian Pacific Fleet. The presence of a US destroyer in the area is comparable to a Russian sail-by of San Diego, California or Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Washington does not recognize Russia’s territorial claims in the Sea of Japan, with a Navy official telling CNN they far exceed the 12 nautical mile limit guaranteed by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). While Russia has ratified the convention, the US has not.

That is not all, however. The US Navy could also be planning to send a warship into the Black Sea in the near future. CNN reported that the State Department has notified Turkey of the intent to send a warship through the Bosporus and the Dardanelles, which requires a 15-day notice under the terms of the 1936 Montreux Convention.

The 1936 treaty also limits the presence of ships from nations that don’t border the Black Sea to a maximum of 21 days. The US last had a ship in the area back in October.

Anonymous US officials told CNN the move was a response to last month’s incident between Russian coast guard ships and three Ukrainian vessels in the Kerch Strait, which connects the Sea of Azov to the Black Sea.

“We routinely conduct operations to advance security and stability throughout the US 6th Fleet area of operations to include the international waters and airspace of the Black Sea,” fleet spokesman Commander Kyle Raines told CNN.

The US has also repeatedly sent ships to the parts of East China Sea claimed by Beijing, drawing repeated protests from China - most recently last week, when the guided missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG-62) sailed through the area.

Source: Russia Today
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: US Navy in 'Freedom of Navigation' Provocation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
Washington does not recognize Russia’s territorial claims in the Sea of Japan, with a Navy official telling CNN they far exceed the 12 nautical mile limit guaranteed by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). While Russia has ratified the convention, the US has not.

Wiz, You already explained elsewhere the Law of the Sea and I corrected some points. By the very article you site the US Navy and for that matter any other Navy has a right to be there. Get over it.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »

Wiz, You already explained elsewhere the Law of the Sea and I corrected some points. By the very article you site the US Navy and for that matter any other Navy has a right to be there. Get over it.

To be fair, I think there’s a difference in having a right to do something and choosing to do something to provoke.

I’ve got every right to walk wherever I choose down the street but getting right up in peoples faces is provocative. I would only do so if I was looking for a reaction.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:27:54 AM »

To be fair, I think there’s a difference in having a right to do something and choosing to do something to provoke.

I’ve got every right to walk wherever I choose down the street but getting right up in peoples faces is provocative. I would only do so if I was looking for a reaction.

Quite. Unless their destination was vladivostok there is no reason to sail there other than to provoke a response.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Wiz

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »
Washington does not recognize Russia’s territorial claims in the Sea of Japan, with a Navy official telling CNN they far exceed the 12 nautical mile limit guaranteed by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). While Russia has ratified the convention, .... the US has not!.

Did you see any comments of mine?

I simply posted the article...... and you go mental.......  to earn your keep and more wine.....! :ROFL: Well take notice of the red text, then ask Haiffa for help and comeback! :P

Here is something, that I came across, for you  to comment: :P

I hope that Russia sends a fleet to sail around the Gulf of Mexico.
Just to watch the Israel Firsters go crazy,

:fighting0025:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: US Navy in Freedom of Navigation' Provocation
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
)))

These comments remind me of UK newspapers when the Soviets and now Russians 'need to be intercepted' as they are approaching UK airspace

Get over yourselves

I pointed out - last week t- hat Russia trying to claim rights it doesn't have in the Sea of Azov would have repercussions

Some of us STILL don't get the long standing rules and those pushing their luck need to be reminded

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »

There is nothing the United States or Mexico could do to prevent. Assuming they use the Sombrero Channel and stay south of Cuba.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

There is nothing the United States or Mexico could do to prevent. Assuming they use the Sombrero Channel and stay south of Cuba.

If they do, i can already hear the media crow about 'russian agression'
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »

It is only 'aggression' if you are afraid. Common sense says Russia would behave and say hello and wave good bye.

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »

It is only 'aggression' if you are afraid. Common sense says Russia would behave and say hello and wave good bye.

The US and Russia have been playing this game forever. It's more of a 'poke' than actual aggression.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
US Navy in 'Freedom of Navigation' Provocation
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 05:26:26 PM »

Imagine there are three guys named Tom, Dick and Harry.

Tom is a short guy but as nice as they come, Dick is a bit of a dick and sort of
a bully, and Harry is one of those big happy lug types that most people like
most of the time.

Tom has a very nice back yard and his cute wife likes to sunbath there and
grow tomatoes. Dick likes to stare at Tom's wife's ass, drink beer and pass
enormous amounts of gas.

Everybody is fine and nobody is bothering anybody else, BUT one day Dick
decides to block the path to Toms back yard and thinks he might want that
little section of yard for himself and maybe go a couple rounds with Tom's
wife.

Tom attempts to go to his back yard but Dick shoves him to the ground in
the mud and tells him that this path is closed and he can't come this way
ever again.

Dick get's discouraged and heads over to his friend Harry's house. Harry knows
that the path is public and that Dick is being a Dick by blocking it, so he decides
to walk up that path and see if Dick feels like pushing him in the mud.

Dick is relatively happy to shove Tom in the mud, but if he were going to push
Harry in the mud, he might get his nose punched and that doesn't seem like a
fun time at all. So when Harry walks down the path Dick decides that he likes
his nose the way it is and goes back to drinking beer and farting and lets Tom
travel freely up the path.

An objective observer might note that Harry had no reason to go check out Toms
back yard or travel down that path or he might decide that there are too many
Dicks out there and it would be a bad precedent to let various Dicks tell everyone
who can and can't travel down the paths to their own back yard.

Imagine there were three countries named Kuwait, Iran and USA. Kuwait liked
to travel up the Persian gulf to sell their oil. One day Iran decided that it might be
profitable to them to close that little gulf and tell Kuwait they had to pay a fee
to pass by.

This has happened all over the world a hundred times.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Wiz

Re: US Navy in Freedom of Navigation' Provocation
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »
)))

These comments remind me of UK newspapers when the Soviets and now Russians 'need to be intercepted' as they are approaching UK airspace

Get over yourselves

I pointed out - last week t- hat Russia trying to claim rights it doesn't have in the Sea of Azov would have repercussions

Some of us STILL don't get the long standing rules and those pushing their luck need to be reminded

MOBY

Get over from your usual self and answer a straight question without your usual swerves...........

When two Nations sign an international Agreement should both adhere to the articles of the agreement or they can change the rules and its application at will?

If Russia is trying to change the rules and rights deriving from this Agreement,  I guess there must be a Legal way (article), incorporated in the Agreement on how to resolve problems between the two participants and  Ukraine could take Russia to the relevant court.

So what UKraine did sofar, against the Russians causing problems to boats going to Mariupol .... before trying their bravado action?

Is Porky following the advice from his masters in USA / CIA

or he is acting indepentetly?

:coffeeread:

Offline Wiz

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
2Tallbill

I am a bit thick this morning so can you tell me who is,

Tom, Dick and Harry

in the original post that I made?

:coffeeread:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Why doesn't Wiz pay attention ?
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 11:10:13 PM »

When two Nations sign an international Agreement should both adhere to the articles of the agreement or they can change the rules and its application at will?

Naturally, answer one

Do you need me to list the international agreements the Kremlin has broken in the list five years ?

We are discussing one,

Then there's the Budapest Memorandum

The Kremlin has now over-taken Turkey in European Court of HR findings of 'wrong doing' ...

The only 'swerving' I see are those who will not see...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic