The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Save money - Wash in the 'English style'  (Read 1004 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Save money - Wash in the 'English style'
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:45 AM »
One of the first things I noticed that 'shocked' me was how FSU folk washed up ( if no dishwasher )

When I first came to Cyprus (  the mainly ethically 'Greek' rump Republic of Cyprus - sometimes needs to ship in water in tankers from Greece - while the 'occupied' ethnically Turkish zone has water piped from the Taurus mountains of Turkey under the sea ) I realised how precious water was - asking that madam please wash up the 'British way'  Wash in the sink, then rinse after - rather than no plug and just running water, constantly

Now, I came across this Russian article on how to save over the long holiday of New Year and the Orthodox Christmas

https://www.9111.ru/questions/777777777367453/?&utm_source=law-instructions&utm_medium=mail_hot_face1275&utm_campaign=readtitle367453#header_top

Water can also be saved if you "wash in English.( wash the English way) ", says Valery Puzanov from Vladimir.

A guy can fill  the sink to half full with water, shaves and then washes it with the same water

Such are the tips we get in our mailbox ;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Save money - Wash in the 'English style'
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
How is this the English way?

Although a Dutch pal of mine used to laugh at the English fondness for baths, suggesting that we wash our face in the same water we wash our arse in and it makes no sense. I can't say I entirely disagreed with him; when we remonted our bathroom we did away with the bath altogether in favour of a big posh shower.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
It's probably not so easy to have a nice bath in Western Europe where they meter you for your water.. when I visit the parents they are always telling me to economize with the water ... :laugh:

Its a different story here, you can sit in your bath or Jacuzzi for a few hours relaxing with non stop hot water running and the plug out , so its perfectly clean..and costs nothing.. I can't think of anything more relaxing than a few hours in the bath with a glass of wine and of course the laptop.. :chuckle:

I can't understand anyone enjoying a shower.. to much hard work standing up..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »

Although a Dutch pal of mine used to laugh at the English fondness for baths, suggesting that we wash our face in the same water we wash our arse in and it makes no sense. I can't say I entirely disagreed with him; when we remonted our bathroom we did away with the bath altogether in favour of a big posh shower.

What about guys who take a pee while taking a hot bath? Asking for a friend.  :laugh:

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:03 AM »

What about guys who take a pee while taking a hot bath? Asking for a friend.  :laugh:

Than again there is this (in Dutch, but who needs to understands the words)

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
I can't think of anything more relaxing than a few hours in the bath with a glass of wine and of course the laptop.. :chuckle:

I can't understand anyone enjoying a shower.. to much hard work standing up..

You start showing ... your age .......  :ROFL:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
Bath or sauna, that's my standard!

A shower is for hygiene only. A bath is for relaxing, as is a sauna. Personally, if I have a bath, I also shower down afterward. Just as I do after getting out of a spa bath.

Yes, I know that Manny has a sauna and I bet that it meets the same need as it does for me.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
Yes, I know that Manny has a sauna and I bet that it meets the same need as it does for me.

Wifey and sproggs use the one at home mostly now. My gym has a nice sauna. jacuzzi and also a steam room so I get in those most days.  :nod:

The only time I see a bath now is occasionally on holiday.

Wifey misses the bath at home actually. As we know women like to spend ages in there with champers, candles while prodding the phone. She now takes bath salts/bombs when we go on holiday.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.