The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?  (Read 8467 times)

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »

Unless they hoodwink the authorities and cheat the taxpayer by not getting divorced and pretend on paper that they are still a functioning married couple. I am sure nobody here knows anyone who would do such a thing.  :whist11:

OK, so so ARE as daft as BillyB

This is not the first time you've posted this bollox...

1/ There was no hoodwinking - the Home office were informed of the separation t the time AMD change of address and when applying for permanent residency

2/ The tax payers were not cheated - my step-son took out a student loan. On his application form my address was listed in Northumberland - his Ma's in London - status SEPARATED

3/ No pretence was made in any, way shape or form that we were a 'functioning married couple' ... in fact you tried to make hay out of the fact we were extremely dysfunctional  :coffeeread:

4/ V (and my step-son) came to this country using the freedom of movement Directive 2004/38/EC - NOT the UK national route you used

You really should have understood that I'd know it's in's and out's rather better than you

It's really ironic that a guy that delights in not paying his licence fee - boasting about it - would suggest someone doing something quite LEGAL isn't playing by the book ;)

Your post was a bit like posting a picture of one's missus' that's not flattering ....  you're not doing yourself any favours !

Oh, did you think I meant you?  :laugh:

I liked the suggestion that you’re not paying a BBC bully tax (£150.50) whilst ignoring the fact you pay income tax/corporation tax/capital gains!! It almost suggests you aren't paying your own way??  :chuckle:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
I completed the Affidavit for Support forms in the past for relative immigration purposes.  The Government does not want any "freeloaders" coming into this country so they drop the responsibility on the petitioner (or others named on the petition).  Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?  Probably so because you put your financial ID information on the form as well as evidence of your assets. So they can track down any deadbeats.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »
Are you sure it's for life? 

I thought it was for ten years. 

The clock starts ticking once she stars working.  Once she is credited with 40 quarters of work - ten years if consecutive - then the obligation ceases, however....Plot twist!...per the BCIS website, it also vanishes once the immigrant becomes a US citizen.  That can happen substantially sooner.

B/B

I don't believe that the regulations have changed, but you can apply for citizenship after residing in the country for five years and you have removed the conditional permanent residency status on your visa.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 01:32:28 AM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA...

(And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets ridiculous)

I guessed that one correctly didn't I?!  :coffeeread:

Except that he's not very good at it. The trolling, if it exists at all, seems to be entirely consistent with everything else he shares with us.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
In Canada is  3 years for a spouse and 10 years or age of 18, which ever comes
first, with a minimum of 3 years also. Through divorce your wife would be entitle
to half of your assets also. I suspect there is more if one were to contact a divorce lawyer
to find out. This is what I read at time of doing the paper work.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »
 Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?

Is it safe to assume, then, that it wasn't an I-864 that you signed?

As mentioned above, passing time, in the absence of the beneficiary working and accruing social security credit, does not free one from the obligation, according to my reading of the rules.
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline yankee

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 06:44:39 AM »
Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?

As mentioned above, passing time, in the absence of the beneficiary working and accruing social security credit, does not free one from the obligation, according to my reading of the rules.

Please read BB's comments
This question
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
You know life really is to short to worry about any of this shit.. you could die tomorrow!

Don't waste your life thinking about "what if". Just do..

I could spend half my life wondering if Im going to die in road accident every time I take a taxi as they drive like idiots, last weekend a car just missed us by inches ! I always wear a belt in the back and ready for the brace position.. yeah really.  :laugh:
But I'm not going to waste my time thinking about what happens if we do get hit.. I will cross that path if it happens, well I will try to if Im able to walk!!

Whats the worst that can possibly happen to you? There are kids in Africa 3 years old who haven't eaten a proper dinner for 6 months and your working about if some women you haven't even married yet may take your "Salt and pepper pot"
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »

I haven't filed the I-864 recently, so do not know if any of the regulations have changed.  Going back decades, filing the form obliged the sponsor to provide financial assistance to the beneficiary without government assistance.  But, there was a time limit applied to this obligation.  I don't recall the exact amount, but it was not until the death of the beneficiary.  There is also another immigration form similar to I-864 that obliged the petitioner to assume financial responsibility for the beneficiary, but I don't recall the form number.

That is how it was also applied decades ago.  The beneficiary was blocked from becoming a "freeloader" on welfare during the time period specified on the petition.  If you tried to circumvent the rules and got benefits, they could come after the petitioner.