The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?  (Read 8422 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 10-20
Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
I have been doing a little reading on I-864 and I find it to be troubling if not terrifying. By signing this binding document, which is essentially a contract between you and the federal government, you agree to support the beneficiary for life at 125% of the poverty level. Yes you read that right. There are a few specific things which can absolve you of this responsibility, most notably the beneficiary decides to abandon residency status or the beneficiary works for 10 years. However, the beneficiary is obligated to do neither. It is not like normal alimony where you can have imputed income or other court ordered motivation to have the person work.

I have read reports that say this is not enforced very often but further reading seems to suggest that enforcement is on the rise. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this? I read a blog by a sponsor was very worried that it was going to be enforced on him. Have you been on either end of an enforced I-864? If so, can you detail what happened? I appreciate other comments but firsthand knowledge is so valuable. 
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline yankee

Re: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
If you don't like the  I-864, don't sponsor someone.  Bring them in illegally. I think every alien that enters the USA should be required to have a sponsor. If you are not willing to sign one for your future wife then don't bring her here.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »

I have read reports that say this is not enforced very often but further reading seems to suggest that enforcement is on the rise. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this? I read a blog by a sponsor was very worried that it was going to be enforced on him. Have you been on either end of an enforced I-864?

Everybody in America who brings a spouse over signs an I-864. It's not enforced often but chances are, your alimony to your ex will be longer and greater than normal since English is her second language and she's probably not very employable.

There's a certain amount of risk to marrying any woman. If the risk outweighs the rewards, then you shouldn't marry the woman.

Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 03:02:37 AM »
If you are concerned about taking responsibility for this woman then don't do it.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:31:52 AM »
Why don't you just find a women in the USA????
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:46 AM »
You worried about her taking you to the cleaners  :chuckle:

You want to worry how much the remodelling of the house, the buying of clothes for her, plus all the other woman's needs in the first 0-12 months of having your honey there with you matey

Way more than your expecting  :chuckle:

Now stop being a prize DICK and man up  :'(
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline justadude

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA. Perhaps it's because this forum is primarily about male-female relationships, which are inherently emotional. Then again, I've experienced it on automotive enthusiast forums as well. (And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets rediculous)

Still, it's hard for me to imagine getting emotionally involved in the affairs of someone I've never met in person. I'm fascinated by this.

But back to the question. I'm hoping to find input from someone who's actually signed an I-864. Since some of the respondents are married, presumably you have, unless you're not American or your spouse is not yet living in the states.

Anyone?
two 90 day fiance visas, one 73 day fiance. Lived in Lvov and Odessa for 2 years. California native now on the Oregon Coast

Offline yankee

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA. Perhaps it's because this forum is primarily about male-female relationships, which are inherently emotional. Then again, I've experienced it on automotive enthusiast forums as well. (And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets rediculous)

Still, it's hard for me to imagine getting emotionally involved in the affairs of someone I've never met in person. I'm fascinated by this.

But back to the question. I'm hoping to find input from someone who's actually signed an I-864. Since some of the respondents are married, presumably you have, unless you're not American or your spouse is not yet living in the states.

Anyone?

You are correct. Every American that has sponsored a foreign spouse has filled out an I-864 form or had someone else sponsor the person.  My first wife was foreign and my current wife was foreign.  So, yes, I have filled one of them out before.  What is your problem with it?

Online Guile

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:55 AM »
His problem is that she'll break up with him and he'll have to pay support again and be broke.  Simply money.

justadude better to end it now. you aren't in any frame of mind to be getting married let alone dating.  you just want all the goodie but none of the work.

that you are asking about prenups and affidavits so late shows you are not prepared.  this stuff should have been done ages ago.

Ask yourself how likely is this girl going to leave you if she doesn't get her way?  figure out the answer and act appropriately.

Online 2tallbill

Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »

Anyone?

I signed it.

I believe in my wife and she believed in me enough to move to North Dakota
(we've since moved away). She moved away from her family, friends, her country,
her culture, her language because she wanted to be my wife. It's a big commitment
and it's certainly not for everyone, but it was for me. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »
I signed it.

Most Americans do not know what an I-864 is. Most family court/divorce court judges don't know what an I-864 is. Most divorce lawyers don't know what an I-864 is. Chances are, nobody is going to make you honor your commitment to the I-864 you signed since most people don't know it exists.

In the event of a divorce, most judges may award a higher amount and longer lasting alimony if he/she feels your soon to be ex needs a longer time to adjust to the single life in a country she's not familiar with. That is where you will pay big and if your ex doesn't adjust to life with your money within the time a judge gives her, you can count on us, your fellow taxpayers, to take care of your mistake.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline yankee

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 11:45:26 AM »

Anyone?

I signed it.

I believe in my wife and she believed in me enough to move to North Dakota
(we've since moved away). She moved away from her family, friends, her country,
her culture, her language because she wanted to be my wife. It's a big commitment
and it's certainly not for everyone, but it was for me.

I couldn't agree with you more!  My  wife gave up the chair of a university department and her life long love of teaching to come to the USA to marry me.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:44 PM »
I have not signed one but TBH I don’t think it’s a whole lot different than an American guy getting married to an American gal. If she’s a stay at home wife and mother who doesn’t work, in the event of a divorce he’s going to be ordered by a court to financially support her.

I think you should take a novel approach and stop thinking of negative “what if’s” and start thinking of positive what if’s.

Take some time and read about 2TallBill’s life since he got married and how he and his wife have made a life together. Sort of reminds me of the movie “It’s a wonderful life” but better because it’s real.

Then again 2Tall is totally dedicated to his wife, we haven’t seen that attitude of love and devotion out of you.

Last but not least life has a funny way of matching our expectations.

Online Guile

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
I
Then again 2Tall is totally dedicated to his wife, we haven’t seen that attitude of love and devotion out of you.

exactly...you need to put in the effort and cater to her.  She's the one moving to a strange new country, not you.  About my translating I wish I could help more but as I said I am out of the area and my fee is probably too high for you.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »

I think you should take a novel approach and stop thinking of negative “what if’s” and start thinking of positive what if’s.

Take some time and read about 2TallBill’s life since he got married and how he and his wife have made a life together. Sort of reminds me of the movie “It’s a wonderful life” but better because it’s real.

JustaDude, For a while now you have spoken only about the risks, but never the rewards. Maybe an attitude adjustment is needed?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline justadude

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
Thanks Yankee, Bill and Billy. I appreciate the first hand perspective.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA...

(And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets ridiculous)

I guessed that one correctly didn't I?!  :coffeeread:

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
What's the poverty level in California? 

Are you sure it's for life? 

I thought it was for ten years. 

Does this exist in the UK/EU? 

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Are you sure it's for life? 

I thought it was for ten years. 

The clock starts ticking once she stars working.  Once she is credited with 40 quarters of work - ten years if consecutive - then the obligation ceases, however....Plot twist!...per the BCIS website, it also vanishes once the immigrant becomes a US citizen.  That can happen substantially sooner.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »

Nope ...   The poor FSU partner can find themselves being 'asked to leave' if the relationship doesn't work out ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »

Nope ...   The poor FSU partner can find themselves being 'asked to leave' if the relationship doesn't work out ..

Unless they hoodwink the authorities and cheat the taxpayer by not getting divorced and pretend on paper that they are still a functioning married couple. I am sure nobody here knows anyone who would do such a thing.  :whist11:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Halo

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
I had to sign a similar obligation when I sponsored my husband.  At that time, it was a 10 year obligation, citizenship did not matter.  It's less now, though I can't be bothered to look it up.  I'm still married, so obviously, it was never an issue.

You are worrying about almost nothing.  As I posted in your other thread, FSUW generally do not sit on welfare.  If you pay for her education and things go south later, she will  work, and will probably be a citizen by then in any event.  Further, if you are worried about this, then you can't afford an FSUW.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »

Unless they hoodwink the authorities and cheat the taxpayer by not getting divorced and pretend on paper that they are still a functioning married couple. I am sure nobody here knows anyone who would do such a thing.  :whist11:

OK, so so ARE as daft as BillyB

This is not the first time you've posted this bollox...

1/ There was no hoodwinking - the Home office were informed of the separation t the time AMD change of address and when applying for permanent residency

2/ The tax payers were not cheated - my step-son took out a student loan. On his application form my address was listed in Northumberland - his Ma's in London - status SEPARATED

3/ No pretence was made in any, way shape or form that we were a 'functioning married couple' ... in fact you tried to make hay out of the fact we were extremely dysfunctional  :coffeeread:

4/ V (and my step-son) came to this country using the freedom of movement Directive 2004/38/EC - NOT the UK national route you used

You really should have understood that I'd know it's in's and out's rather better than you

It's really ironic that a guy that delights in not paying his licence fee - boasting about it - would suggest someone doing something quite LEGAL isn't playing by the book ;)

Your post was a bit like posting a picture of one's missus' that's not flattering ....  you're not doing yourself any favours !
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »

Aha! Be sure the truth will out. Now it all makes sense. Moldy!  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »

OK, so so ARE as daft as BillyB

This is not the first time you've posted this bollox...

1/ There was no hoodwinking - the Home office were informed of the separation t the time AMD change of address and when applying for permanent residency

2/ The tax payers were not cheated - my step-son took out a student loan. On his application form my address was listed in Northumberland - his Ma's in London - status SEPARATED

3/ No pretence was made in any, way shape or form that we were a 'functioning married couple' ... in fact you tried to make hay out of the fact we were extremely dysfunctional  :coffeeread:

4/ V (and my step-son) came to this country using the freedom of movement Directive 2004/38/EC - NOT the UK national route you used

You really should have understood that I'd know it's in's and out's rather better than you

It's really ironic that a guy that delights in not paying his licence fee - boasting about it - would suggest someone doing something quite LEGAL isn't playing by the book ;)

Your post was a bit like posting a picture of one's missus' that's not flattering ....  you're not doing yourself any favours !

Oh, did you think I meant you?  :laugh:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.