The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Back to The Ukraine Girlfriend...but not Ukraine  (Read 18400 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Back to The Ukraine Girlfriend...but not Ukraine
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
Slo, 

Thank you for writing and completing a memorable trip report.   :travel:

Cheers mate   tiphat

Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2018, 03:05:10 AM »
Thanks for a wonderful thread SL - these types of holidays are our fav...

We encountered something similar when returning to Gocek,  in Turkey .... the wind involved circling waiting for one's turn to enter the Marina and a Russian charter tried to jump the queue .... but we had our trusty Erol in a rubber dory who nudged them aside - the queue was monitored by the Marina and they were ordered to the back of the queue ;)   Never seen such behaviour before or since ,,,  you were unlucky ((

Moby, Thank you for confirming that on a pond with a four boat fleet you can not race or sail. In this fleet to be OCS is an accomplishment only you can be proud of! I assume the Solo won the first mark and perhaps this race. Av

I LOVE sailing on ponds as the wind gusts and is variable ...  and the 'fleet' was somewhat larger'

The fleet was 2000 strong  -  around the world !

https://www.bartsbash.com/results-by-region?year=2018   

We're hoping we've broken the Guinness World record re competitors ..

10% of which were sailing std Lasers  - like me

A Topper won at our club - 17 competitors  - beating me by 10 secs - hardly surprising given my giving away over a minute being - eventually  - signalled over at the start ...

The first 'SoSlow' was sixth - I believe ...

Always appreciate your 'guessimations', though
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
Sea Bass is  Lavaraki  ( in Greek ) translit and the easiest way to cook it is to simply gril it with salt and pepper and to peel back the skin and eat it ))

Disagree, the skins brilliant when its crisp and seasoned well with a squeeze of lemon.  :-X

LAVRAKI STO FOURNO

Agree with you ROSCO

Only few people know how to eat Fresh sea Food!

:thumbsup:

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
Sea Bass is  Lavaraki  ( in Greek ) translit and the easiest way to cook it is to simply gril it with salt and pepper and to peel back the skin and eat it ))

Disagree, the skins brilliant when its crisp and seasoned well with a squeeze of lemon.  :-X

LAVRAKI STO FOURNO

Agree with you ROSCO

I could easily sit and pick away at that with a cold Mythos.  tiphat

Offline yankee

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
I agree with you but I know that some folks just can't stomach the eating of fish skin, no matter how well prepared. I used to be one of those people.

I agree that it depends on how it is cooked but is also dependent upon the type of fish.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Manny

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »
Nice TR SL.

I made a coffee and read the thread for the first time today. An interesting holiday with your girl, not necessarily everyones cup of tea but I bet it was action packed. The Greek islands are stunning and I'm sure you had a few life is good moments out there.

I was about to say the same.

Laughed my socks off at Moby trying to hijack it though, posting photo's of himself sailing on a reservoir and the usual semi naked ones of SC. Yawn....... :offtopic:

No more would have got through.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
Slo, 

Cheers mate   tiphat

Av

X2.... really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
Slo, 

Cheers mate   tiphat

Av

X2.... really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

XXX.....:chuckle:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:13 AM »

My 'bad' The flesh sticks to the skin and that opens up the fish .. I eat the skin, too ...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2018, 02:20:27 AM »

Laughed my socks off at Moby trying to hijack it though, posting photo's of himself sailing on a reservoir and the usual semi naked ones of SC. Yawn....... :offtopic:

Not that you'll ever see this here... but  IF you'd bothered to read my post - it was written to back up how AvHdB  tried to describe ( incorrectly ) how to deal with a gust and my pics certainly show what a genoa and roller-reefing, better .. it was educational... ;)

As for the 'semi-naked' photos of SC - ( 'yawn' ) - the click through ratings for the images since posted here suggest you may be in the minority ;)

Offline Wiz

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2018, 04:06:30 AM »
SLO

Congratulations for the excellent travel report......that I managed to read in full and enjoy it!

I am glad that you enjoyed the Greek food and also the Greek Hospitality.....because as they say.....

"Hospitality in Greece, is a duty willingly performed!"

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »
Sea Bass is Lavaraki  ( in Greek ) translit and the easiest way to cook it is to simply gril it with salt and pepper and to peel back the skin and eat it ))

LAVRAKI STO FOURNO

Agree with you ROSCO

I could easily sit and pick away at that with a cold Mythos.  tiphat

Small Correction ..... for Moby!

Sea Bass is not called Lavaraki  ( in Greek ) as Moby states but it's Greek name is "Kefalos" ! ;D

Offline SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »
Hi,

While cooking dinner I remembered something:

On the 2nd morning I had to cook I made pancakes from scratch.  The batter mix recipe called for melted butter.  We had the right amount left in one of the butter tubs.  However, we didn't have a microwave for me to melt the butter.  I ask T if she could help.  She looked at me as if I was kidding.  When she realized I was serious, she came over, got a bowl, poured hot water into it from the kettle,  and placed the tub of butter into it. 

Instead of ridiculing me for something so obvious, she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and got out of the way to let me continue making the batter mix.

I love her. :loving:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »

Sea Bass is not called Lavaraki  ( in Greek ) as Moby states but it's Greek name is "Kefalos" ! ;D

While I would not depend 100% on cooking journals I suspect sea bass is in fact known as lavraki. It is not the easiest finned thing to catch.

A white firm flesh that is neutral in flavor as opposed to say Salmon or Swordfish.

> http://milos.ca/features/lavraki < is a link.

Offline SL0413

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2018, 05:57:30 PM »
I remember some news articles a while back that showed that some restaurants were caught serving generic white fish and calling them sea bass to mark up the prices.

P.S. To clarify, this was in the US - some American restaurants were caught mis-labeling.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
I remember some news articles a while back that showed that some restaurants were caught serving generic white fish and calling them sea bass to mark up the prices.

P.S. To clarify, this was in the US - some American restaurants were caught mis-labeling.

The fish in question is Talipia > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia < It is often incorrectly identified and sold. It is largely farm raised world wide, including Greece.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2018, 05:04:03 AM »

I’d know instantly if it wasn’t sea bass. It’s remarkably more subtle in both flavour and texture, compared with a generic white fish from say the cod family.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2018, 05:34:06 AM »

I’d know instantly if it wasn’t sea bass. It’s remarkably more subtle in both flavour and texture, compared with a generic white fish from say the cod family.

Tilapia, is a fresh water farm raised fish from around the world. The texture is a bit rubbery and has small flakes. I strongly dislike fresh water fish, and only occasionally eat trout. As for the fish that are popular in Ukraine, Poland, and Russia that one seas in swimming around in grocery stores, I pass. Oddly enough on The Sea of Azov and along the Eastern seaboard we have Bluefish, another inedible fish in my opinion, but what a great sport fish on light tackle.

A delicious fish either grilled or pan served is so called stripped bass, even more delicious if you caught it your self.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2018, 01:11:14 AM »

Small Correction ..... for Moby!

Wiz, I realise you ARE Greek, but as it is one of my Favs and I've ordered IN Greek on a Greek island  ) not just Cyprus) and got what I asked for AND just checked on Google Translate ....

Perhaps you can explain ?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
Moby

KEFALOS

Read here:

http://www.homefood.gr/fishes/fish.asp?l=215&id=18

LAVRAKI

Read here:

http://www.homefood.gr/fishes/fish.asp?l=203&id=25

They are very similar but "Lavraki" has a larger mouth, ....... but translate and read......the recipes.

They are both very tasty........ :nod: ;D :thumbsup:

Online AvHdB

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »
Wiz, Thank you! Not trying to be a PIA but can you tell us the Latin classification of the fish noted? Unfortunately the web site you note does not give the Latin genus naps name. Bass is a vey generic name. I am just curious.

The top version is remarkably like the stripped bass of North America.

Stripped bass with the correct seasoning grilled is delicious.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
Wiz, Thank you! Not trying to be a PIA but can you tell us the Latin classification of the fish noted? Unfortunately the web site you note does not give the Latin genus naps name. Bass is a vey generic name. I am just curious.

The top version is remarkably like the stripped bass of North America.

Stripped bass with the correct seasoning grilled is delicious.

Translate and read here about LAVRAKI:

http://psaremakaieidhpsariwn.blogspot.com/2016/10/blog-post_8.html

http://psaremakaieidhpsariwn.blogspot.com/2016/10/blog-post_72.html

Fishing Kefalos.

Kefalos is a fairy-tale fish and paradigm, as one can taste our bait so that everyone else can imitate it.

Well that is all I can help you....... :coffeeread:

Offline SL0413

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
Ok, I got curious, so I looked up Sea Bass.  The one that I like is not even a Bass - Chilean Sea Bass.  It is Patagonian Toothfish.  And it should be avoided due to overfishing.  That explains why I did not like the sea bass from Greece. 

I am sure Greek Sea Bass and Striped Sea Bass (both are true Bass, apparently) are delicious, but I do not like fish that much. 

Online AvHdB

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »
Wiz, Thank you for your link. It defines what the fish genus is. Bass is a generic name for fish so there is a fair bit of confusion. I suspect the stripped fish you pictured (Kefalos) is a young stripped bass, native to North America. The dorsal fins seem to match up, but I am not 100% certain.

Dicentrarchus labrax

Here is part of a Wikipedia article:

The European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) is a primarily ocean-going fish native to the waters off Europe's western and southern and Africa's northern coasts, though it can also be found in shallow coastal waters and river mouths during the summer months. It is one of only six species in its family, Moronidae, collectively called the temperate basses.

It is both fished and raised commercially, and is considered to be the most important fish currently cultured in the Mediterranean. In Ireland and the United Kingdom, the popular restaurant fish sold and consumed as sea bass is exclusively the European bass. In North America it is widely known by its Italian name branzino.

European bass can reach sizes of up to 1 m (3.3 ft) in length and 12 kg (26 lb) in weight, though the most common size is only about half of that at 0.5 m (1.6 ft). Individuals are silvery grey in color and sometimes a dark-bluish color on the back.

Juveniles form schools and feed on invertebrates, while adults are less social and prefer to consume other fish. They are generally found in the littoral zone near the banks of rivers, lagoons, and estuaries during the summer, and migrate offshore during the winter. Despite being a sought-after gamefish, it is listed as Least Concern by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature because it is widespread and there are no known major threats.

Offline SL0413

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
There is something fishy going on with this topic...   :ROFL: