The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Allegation of Theft of Bank Deposits in Russia  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Allegation of Theft of Bank Deposits in Russia
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
We have a new member Penfold, who appears to be located in Russia; I assume an expat. He hasn't introduced himself as such (not that we insist on that) but on one of the two posts he has made, he made an interesting allegation about his own experiences:

1. Theft of deposits by (multiple) banks.

I'd like to welcome Penfold to the forum and ask him if he might expand on this and hopefully name the banks concerned.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Allegation of Theft of Bank Deposits in Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
We have a new member Penfold, who appears to be located in Russia; I assume an expat. He hasn't introduced himself as such (not that we insist on that) but on one of the two posts he has made, he made an interesting allegation about his own experiences:

I'd like to welcome Penfold to the forum and ask him if he might expand on this and hopefully name the banks concerned.

While cartons, except the occasional political one, are not my thing is the sidekick of Mighty Mouse, Penfold a gerbil or squirrel. Mighty Mouse was a popular child's carton series from the 80's I think.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »

While cartons, except the occasional political one, are not my thing is the sidekick of Mighty Mouse, Penfold a gerbil or squirrel. Mighty Mouse was a popular child's carton series from the 80's I think.

I think you mean Danger Mouse's sidekick, Penfold. That is likely where he found the name, indeed. Not that it's especially germane to the topic mind you.........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

I think you mean Danger Mouse's sidekick, Penfold. That is likely where he found the name, indeed.

My excuses!  :bow:

Glad to see you are on the up and up with cartons. Now if only we could get some other posters to this same level. From there we could move onto political discussions.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline penfold07

• Spouses Country: russia
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »

For two of the three they are not allegations since we went to court and had the matter  judged in our favour.
These were for OTP and Sverbank.
Sverbank in particular was a hard fight to win.

I have since been in discussion with someone  who works for the European part of Sverbank and he did not seem particularly surprised because we live in the regions. For large companies and government the regions tend to act like small feifdoms and do their own thing.

The third bank I will not name directly as to do so could actually be dangerous. But it was not  a bank retail customers  normally deal with. The money  from there was not actually stolen by the bank itself but third parties.

Offline penfold07

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
BTW, how many of you know that Russian law was recently changed to make it easier for Russian  banks to keep deposits?

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
BTW, how many of you know that Russian law was recently changed to make it easier for Russian  banks to keep deposits?

Can you expand on that and maybe provide a link?

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »

For two of the three they are not allegations since we went to court and had the matter  judged in our favour.
These were for OTP and Sverbank.
Sverbank in particular was a hard fight to win.

I have since been in discussion with someone  who works for the European part of Sverbank and he did not seem particularly surprised because we live in the regions. For large companies and government the regions tend to act like small fiefdoms and do their own thing.

Would you mind expanding on this too? Many members here have deposits with Sberbank, my wife and I included.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Has anyone figured out who actually Penfold07 is?

:thumbsup:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Has anyone figured out who actually Penfold07 is?

:thumbsup:

Well, there are two members that both have the same "gender, spouse's country, Status, and Trips" entries.    :nod:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline penfold07

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »

Can you expand on that and maybe provide a link?
In essence the bank can decide your deposits are the proceeds of crime and or terrorism and you then  need to prove they are not. There have been recent incidents of people having the  proceeds from the sale of  apartments and cars being confiscated.  My wife found the reports (she was trained in law and is published).

Offline penfold07

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »

Would you mind expanding on this too? Many members here have deposits with Sberbank, my wife and I included.

I'm not sure what you want expanded upon. We had an incoming transfer to the Sverbank account.
It never arrived. We were able to prove that it had been sent and that all transfer details were correct. (Had it been an overseas transfer we  probably would have been unable to do this to satisfy Russian law. But this was an internal Russian transfer).
The bank used stalling tactics in court never actually denying they didn't receive the funds.
They lost and the matter was decided against them.

As I mentioned the guy I spoke to in Vienna who works for Sverbank was unsurprised  because we are in the regions. If you are in Moscow or St Pete's then they will probably behave slightly better.

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 02:12:12 AM »
So that would be internal theft by an employee then in the Sberbank case?

Registration