The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Life in Russia - Locals and Visitors Discuss  (Read 38125 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Life in Russia - Locals and Visitors Discuss
« Reply #625 on: August 23, 2018, 11:41:28 AM »
Have a great life Seasoned. I hope that you find a way to have your own home and some dreams of your own that are a little more positive than the nightmares that seem to be your lot. Just remember, you are in control of your destiny.

One day a bank might trust you with a credit card. I hope so.

The 'forum intellectual' still behaving like a petulant bully when dealing with folk who know more about life in Russia than he ever could ?
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #626 on: August 23, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
Moby, I don't know if you are aware of the following: the UK pound sterling and the euro are not the same thing. For this reason they have different exchange rates against each other and other currencies.

:'(
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Annushka

« Reply #627 on: August 23, 2018, 09:23:47 PM »
Have a great life Seasoned. I hope that you find a way to have your own home and some dreams of your own that are a little more positive than the nightmares that seem to be your lot. Just remember, you are in control of your destiny.

One day a bank might trust you with a credit card. I hope so.

The 'forum intellectual' still behaving like a petulant bully when dealing with folk who know more about life in Russia than he ever could ?

Voice of the people! tiphat
I do not understand how my potato, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes and other vegetables at the cottage will not grow because of American sanctions. Pigs grow. Meat will be. Fish doher. I'll eat scallop and squid. And the fact that Vekselberg loans will not be given? Yes, potatoes - then what does it have to do with sanctions? :chuckle: :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/bmxPIuvw13MxTQo/status/1032568583908470784

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #628 on: August 23, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
Moby, I don't know if you are aware of the following: the UK pound sterling and the euro are not the same thing. For this reason they have different exchange rates against each other and other currencies.

More than happy to concede I was inattentive and crap eyesight

You should try acknowledging your ( frequent ) errors, too - that IS honesty ...

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #629 on: August 25, 2018, 05:15:04 AM »

You should try acknowledging your ( frequent ) errors, too - that IS honesty ...

Is that an apology?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #630 on: August 25, 2018, 05:27:27 AM »

Are you talking to yourself again Mobs?

Offline Wiz

« Reply #631 on: August 26, 2018, 03:45:30 AM »

Moby has acquired the typical reply of all  Russian women, when you point out a mistake  or dare to criticize them!

WHAT ABOUT YOU ?

"You should try acknowledging your ( frequent ) errors, too "

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #632 on: August 26, 2018, 04:29:42 AM »
More Moby dishonesty. As it happens I had, a couple of days ago, acknowledged an error I made in respect of some twaddle he had posted.

Moby appears to be engaged in projection, a state where a person projects upon others the shortcomings that actually apply to themselves.

That's something that we can see a lot in the United States right now.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #633 on: August 26, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »

Moby has acquired the typical reply of all  Russian women, when you point out a mistake  or dare to criticize them!

It's criticise in UK English and if you cannot understand "More than happy to concede I was inattentive and crap eyesight " ...  back to school, for you..

More Moby dishonesty.

How CAN an admitted mistake be dishonest ? ..Only in your world ...

As I said ... you might like to try fessing up to your frequents howlers and deliberate dishonesty ... You post bollox about folks lives with (near) impunity on here.....  I missed where you conceded that Russian Paypal users ( Dollar denominations )  CAN and DO exchange monies - within Russia - and the money ends up in the bank as Roubles ... something you told us was 'illegal'  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #634 on: August 30, 2018, 02:45:19 PM »
A while back we had some posts about the Russian government plan to change the pension system in Russia. At the time I said that the initial announcement would be the opening round of a negotiation process between the government and citizens. Today I have been proven to be a good prognosticator.

Putin, today addressed the nation and told them that the program proposals were to be modified, taking on points raised by the people and opposition.

I have only seen the precis offered by RT at this time but it is clear that the negotiations are fully under way: https://www.rt.com/politics/437112-putin-on-changes-in-russian/

What I saw seems to be sensible and reassuring.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #635 on: August 30, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

It's criticise in UK English and if you cannot understand "More than happy to concede I was inattentive and crap eyesight " ...  back to school, for you..

I don't need glasses to read, like you admitted for your self but I was referring to the last part of your post, which obviously in your usual style deliberately ignored ..... proving my point!:

Please put your glasses on before reading further!

"Moby has acquired the typical reply of all  Russian women, when you point out a mistake  or dare to criticise them!

WHAT ABOUT YOU ?

"You should try acknowledging your ( frequent ) errors, too "

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #636 on: December 17, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #637 on: December 17, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »

"You should try acknowledging your ( frequent ) errors, too "[/i]

'Frequent' ...  ? Since when has Manny's suggestion made something fact ? ;)

Now, THIS thread is about life in Russia - somewhere you won't go ... based on a BS 'pretext' - as IF you had a GR passport you could feel in the application form - 1 page of single-sided A4 and no excuses

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #638 on: November 01, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
For your information Crimea was discovered and became a Greek Colony before the Roman Empire and its name was/is "Tavrida"

For what it is worth the Krim was not discovered by the Greeks it has had civilizations living there before. But the Greek influence is clear to see even today. There are Turkish influences also evident.[/font][/size]

Yevpatoria was founded 2500 B.C. Thats a looooooong time ago. I took an interest in the city history after I came across a dig-site in the open street , i think it was close to pushkin ulitsa.

They explained everything there on a plaque whilst it was behind glass to protect it from the elements. Quite nice to read it all.

Care to guess what the name is of a party boat you can book for 1,5 or 2,5 hour cruises from its docks? It doesn't go anywhere, just takes on passengers and stays out at sea for 1,5 hours (to the other dock) and then back to the first dock in 1 hour more.

It is a fun experience because it goes out to sea really far and you can feel the movement of the sea and you can actually get seasick on it   :king:

Mark, Will not take you as crew except on Loosdrecht.  :laugh:

The Krim has been inhabited for donkeys ages, but it was a principal outpost of the Greek city states in early antiquity. In fact there is a treaty that I think gives some claim to Greece to its sovereignty signed in I think the 19th century.

I think the history line goes Crimerians > Scythian's (those gold objects stuck in Amsterdam) > Tartar's > Greek's > Turk's > Greeks > and so on to Russian's > Ukrainians > Russian's. One needs to add German's Roman's, French and some Persians along the way.

It is something for Wiz to explain or he can do a copy and paste!

Update there was recently a court desiscion regarding the Scythian artifacts stuck in Amsterdam. A subject of competing claims, primarily Russian and Ukraine. Below is the news report.

AMSTERDAM (AP) — An Amsterdam appeals court ruled Tuesday that a trove of historical treasures from Crimea that have been stored for years at a Dutch museum must be given to Ukraine, saying they are “part of the cultural heritage of the Ukrainian state.”

Ukraine’s president hailed the decision as a victory for his country.

The judgment, which can be appealed to the Dutch Supreme Court, upheld a lower court’s ruling and was the latest development in a protracted legal tug-of-war about the fate of the artifacts that stems from Russia’s annexation of Crimea.

Russia annexed the Crimean Peninsula from Ukraine in 2014, a month after the Allard Pierson Museum opened the “Crimea — Gold and secrets of the Black Sea” exhibition, sparking a dispute over where the borrowed treasures should be returned to. The exhibits have been stored in Amsterdam pending resolution of the dispute.

I suspect Russia will appeal and the lawyers will get richer.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration