The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Life in Russia - Locals and Visitors Discuss  (Read 38128 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Life in Russia - Locals and Visitors Discuss
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 02:50:00 AM »
The owner tends to believe that pro Putin is the same as pro Russian; no matter if the outcome of certain actions seem to harm Russia.  :biggrin:

Hope this helps and welcome.

The owner can speak for himself, thanks.  :nod:

What?!! And all this time I thought Andrew was the owner.  :coffeeread:

:chuckle:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 04:55:17 AM »

When you make people work longer in their older years, they won't go quietly.   :chuckle:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-protests/protesters-chant-anti-putin-slogans-at-moscow-rally-against-retirement-age-plan-idUSKBN1KJ0HJ

That's certainly true. The difficulty for the Russian state here is that they have certain objectives such as increasing the standard of living of pensioners through state pension schemes and also through second and third pillars of private pensions and other savings. All three pillars must be funded and, unlike the united states, and other countries the pillars must not become Ponzi schemes.

Also, the state has the demographic data that the citizens do not. Citizens do not yet see that people are living longer and do not yet understand that people who work tend to have longer, healthier lives.

There's no way that the government can double the state pension, as planned, without increasing the retirement age.

My take is that there will be a form of public negotiation running alongside lots of public education - similar to that in Estonia. The final 'offer' will be some form of compromise, possibly a staged solution, that will be acceptable to most. The current system is not good, it results in poverty for pensioners and that will worsen as life spans continue to rapidly increase. If a person can be relatively secure in the knowledge that they will have a similar pensionable period as current pensioners and a much higher standard of living then there’s not a huge problem, particularly if they have an enhanced state pension augmented by the second and third pillars with a few years of input to the latter two pillars.

All that noted, I'd be surprised if there was nit at least some agitation from a foreign supported 'agents' working to disrupt the pension process. People are more easily roused to discontent over issues that they see as being directly relevant to themselves so this is a good issue over which to agitate for discontent.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 05:14:41 AM »
Andrewfi

IF you knew Russia - you'd know that various assurances had been given re pensions - as recently as six months previously and the timing of the announcement - the first day of the World Cup - announced by the Prime Minister - along with a VAT rise only delayed the dismay until after the extravagance of the World Cup

Now, like Greece in 2004 - the questions will come as to WHY there's been on this spending on Sochi 2014 and Russia 2018, if it was known there was no money in the pot to piss in ?
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 08:13:10 AM »
     also most of the women ive dated which are middle class have taken some sort of international vacation.         

It is the definition of the middle class for you? Seriously? It costs like 300 dollars to fly, say, to Egypt/Bulgaria for one week from the European part of Russia. The RF government definition of the middle class is as follows: "The Sociology Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences considers it the 44 percent of all Russians who, as of one year ago, had incomes totaling 23,000 rubles ($365) per month per family member, including children and the elderly."
      It sounds as a complete joke. But yes, if we go by this definition at least 50% of the Russians are middle class. Middle class, my arse.:) Orwell would have written a nice book about it if he was still alive. Most of those Putin's "middle class" members are toothless though by the time time they hit 50 - one tooth implant costs around 60K rubles minimum, this "middle class" cannot afford to have teeth. But a trip to Turkey once per year - sure thing. Lol. Snowy Nigeria middle class. My arse hurts from laughing again, sorry, I must immediately adjourn to the restroom now. Jesus Christ bananas. Middle class. Ah. I got it now.
      One of the guys I know is very miserable now - his wife left for Turkey for vacation but he is jobless at the moment so he has to foot the bill by working as a taxi driver because he needs some cash desperately to cover her trip. I will ask him tomorrow, he is most likely middle class too, at least for now while he is a happy Yandex Taxi Driver.
      What I like about putinism is that everything has gotten so Orwellian, including many people around me, that all this provides a truly fascinating, free entertainment, it is like being at a hilarious standup comedy show 24/7. Up to the point till the comedian grins widely and his false set of teeth clatters onto the floor exposing his rotten and bleeding, cavernous gums.

Perhaps the current dystopia of Russian today is hybrid version of Orwellian and Braduryian as in Fahrenheit 451. Instead of burning books the Kremlin just rewrites current events for local consumption.

There is though a middle class in Russia that seems to support Putin. My brother in law would be an example. He is the Vice President in charge of day to day operations of one of the larger Russian Vodka distillers. Often though he needs to be at local distillers that have crises. His last stint was in Ufa. Divorced and remarried. Has two cars, a decent apartment inside the ring road of Moscow on the West side and enjoys watching his favorite football (soccer) team. He and his family go on vacations to Europe, primarily Spain.

For what it is worth he hates his job and feels like he is in a race with rats. Sounds like middle class to me.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 08:29:48 AM »
18 years ago there was no middle class. Now there is - by any definition of the term (and there are many).

People often misunderstand 'support' in Russia. There's an overwhelming degree of support for Putin. There's much less for the government which is one reason that Putin stood for president without party affiliation.

One of the goals since Putin was first elected was to find a way to build a genuine political system with a real and opulent opposition. That was a personal goal of Putin. It was and remains hard because the improvements in life for most Russians have been real and how does a genuine opposition grow up in an environment where the opposition has nothing to oppose?

Most of the names that are bandied about in the west as opposition have two things in common :
No support among the Russian electorate.
They are bought and paid for by external, foreign, elements.

Don't tell a reasonable person that a party or candidate with less than 5% of popular support is a real opposition.

For the poor American people who think they have a representative democracy: you don't. But Russians have the leader they want, the leader they need and who is a servant of the Russian people and country. Putin has far from absolute power, he faces opposition within the government he leads, the chances are that the pension issue was raised, as it was, by political opponents within his government but Putin can not control everything. He tries, with his cabinet, to set strategy, direction and it is hard to, rationally, disagree with the strategy or direction.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 08:41:04 AM »
But Russians have the leader they want, the leader they need and who is a servant of the Russian people and country.

Andrew while here are parts of your post that I disagree with, I would change one sentence to say to read as follows "But Russians have the they leader they need." I suspect the want is a different matter.

Russia through history has only been a strong nation when they have a leader that is strong. Witness Stalin, Catherine the Great and Peter the Great. I know it was not 'pretty' but it worked for the greater good of the country.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
If they wanted somebody else they'd have voted differently. There is no objective dispute that Putin enjoys huge popular support.

Yes, he is the leader they need and his popularity reflects the understanding of the electorate.

Offline Seasoned

• http://www.russian4bride.com
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
      There is though a middle class in Russia that seems to support Putin. My brother in law would be an example. He is the Vice President in charge of day to day operations of one of the larger Russian Vodka distillers. Often though he needs to be at local distillers that have crises. His last stint was in Ufa. Divorced and remarried. Has two cars, a decent apartment inside the ring road of Moscow on the West side and enjoys watching his favorite football (soccer) team. He and his family go on vacations to Europe, primarily Spain.

For what it is worth he hates his job and feels like he is in a race with rats. Sounds like middle class to me.               

Yes, this sounds like the real middle class to me, the question is, how many vice presidents of enterprises there are in Russia and how eager they will be to support Putin if he really needs this support, not just with a voice?:) Even this vice president seems to be tired and somewhat unhappy with his life. :)

There is no objective dispute that Putin enjoys huge popular support.         

Andrew, do you live in Russia? If not, you must relocate here asap and obtain the Russian citizenship, what you describe sounds like paradise. Don't just do the talk, walk the walk.
History knows many presidents who enjoyed even 99% of popular "support", but then something went seriously wrong. So, I am in favor of huge popular support of Putin. Actually, I want 99.99% of the Russians to support him, ideally.
https://www.russian4bride.com - Russian and Ukrainian dating

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »
       I WAS there, I DO remember and I am very happy that the social, economic and political situation in the Russian Federation is vastly improved, but not yet perfect. It is hard to see how either a business as usual, or alternative leadership (given the candidates for the job) could have done better than with Putin and his absolute focus upon rebuilding the sovereignty of what was a dissolving state and country.

On the other hand, perhaps, given his business interests, Seasoned would prefer to see things back as they were in the late 90's and early 00's. As a relatively well to do foreigner in Russia one could certainly see some advantages to those days and a seller of brides stood to make much more money then than now. On the other hand, I am happy to see that Russia is rebuilding and refinding its place in the world.             

I wrote it on the other thread already - I saw thousands of young ladies eager to meet foreign men during the World Cup, nothing has changed since the 90ies in this respect, my site is extremely popular among the Russian ladies, I actually need to find more men to satisfy the frantically increasing demand among the Russian females. Read Ivan's blog for inspiration if you don't trust me - all is easy-peasy in Moscow in this respect even now, in Moscow - the richest Russian city... So, no, I absolutely have no vested interest, I am just sharing my observations. You view the situation as a status quo, I view it as dynamically changing (again, check out Magnit stock price, can give you many examples like this).
        My personal salary was actually way higher under Yeltsin in the 90ies than under Putin, I could afford way more. The salary, when I was working for someone else. Now I am working only for myself. Putin just got lucky with exorbitantly high oil and gas prices during many years, that's all, but this luck seems to be running out. As to the crime rates, I don't see them diminishing. It is true that the federal media are hushing up many things though.
What vast improvement of the social and economic situation are you talking about? Even according to the official stats the number of those living below the poverty line (it is like 120 dollars in Russia) has increased by 4 million people recently and is 24 million people. In reality I think this number is closer to 30-40 million people, out of 140 million. I see people rummaging in garbage containers hoping to find food or empty bottles every day - every time I take a smoke on the balcony.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Andrew, do you live in Russia? If not, you must relocate here asap and obtain the Russian citizenship, what you describe sounds like paradise. Don't just do the talk, walk the walk.

Please understand Andrew our resident expert on all things Russian/Ukraine has never been to Ukraine and was I believe once for a weekend an epoch ago in Pitter (St. Petersburg).

He lives in the Baltic's and calls it Russia, light.

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »

Maybe he should try his luck here, in the Russian reality, with the Russian passport, preferably in the real Russian city like Solekamsk or Magadan or at least Irkutsk (yes, you guys got it right, there is still life outside MKAD), since he adores the whole setup? Obtaining the Russian citizenship should not be hard, I would be eager to render all meaningful assistance, free of charge, hell, I will even be willing to pay him for this pleasure, in cash - after all, I have helped people obtaining the British citizenship, so I am 100% certain the reverse process will even be easier. Otherwise it all sounds rather weird. Andrew, fancy relocating to Solekamsk or to Saransk in Mordovia to enjoy Putin's Russia you are so fond of? To get the hands-on experience, so to speak. I am eager to help. 

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »

Maybe he should try his luck here, in the Russian reality, with the Russian passport, preferably in the real Russian city like Solekamsk or Magadan or at least Irkutsk (yes, you guys got it right, there is still life outside MKAD), since he adores the whole setup? Obtaining the Russian citizenship should not be hard, I would be eager to render all meaningful assistance, free of charge, hell, I will even be willing to pay him for this pleasure, in cash - after all, I have helped people obtaining the British citizenship, so I am 100% certain the reverse process will even be easier. Otherwise it all sounds rather weird. Andrew, fancy relocating to Solekamsk or to Saransk in Mordovia to enjoy Putin's Russia you are so fond of? To get the hands-on experience, so to speak. I am eager to help.
After retirement, I plan on moving to Yevpatoria, i've grown quite fond of the city.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
     After retirement, I plan on moving to Yevpatoria, i've grown quite fond of the city.         

Retiring somewhere with a bundle of cash/abundant Western pension is not exactly the same thing as living with the Russian passport as a Russian for decades here. Actually, it is a different cup of tea altogether.
You are welcome to retire there of course, only if you are ready for the increased military presence and for the military choppers buzzing right above your head on the beach (ref.: sporadic electricity/water/Internet outages (ref.: sometimes prolonged ones, for the questionable services and for unclear bank cards statuses (even Sberbank doesn't operate there as I understand, fearing the sanctions despite all the hot air). And who knows what else will happen in the Crimea in the near future. I personally think the story will keep developing, look at the history of the peninsula possession: Other than that, the Crimea is a great place with fantastic nature, I took my gf (the one who allegedly suffers from the lack of money and cell phones) three times there, she enjoyed the beaches and the sea a lot.

Offline IvanMNG

• All about Russia: women, life & language
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
I found it a bit hard to understand which points y'all wanted to make but I'll chip in with my own observations.

I live in Moscow and I need a good 90-100k RUB per month to live. And that's BEFORE I start going out and wining and dining the women.

Basically, I need a good 2,000€ net to live. That's before saving or investing money.

I honestly have no damn clue how the locals here live. Everyone's all the time out and about, restaurants here, clubs there, Thailand in winter, Cyprus in summer. I know that the wages in Russian companies are piss poor unless you work in upper management. Who the hell is paying for all this? Haven't figured it out until this very day.

And that's Moscow for you. Yes, the provinces are cheaper but the wages are minuscule as well. In PPP terms you're much better off in Moscow. Yet, take a holiday to any popular resort for Russians (basically anything that isn't Schengen zone) and they'll be burning money like there's no tomorrow. No matter where they're from.

I can only imagine that the bill literally comes later when they have to live off bread and water so to speak.

So there very much is a middle class here, I just don't know where they take their money from. I know Russians own their apartments and love to live on credit but that still doesn't add up. However, they're content with that life for now and I don't see that changing soon. Hence Putin's popularity.

One day they'll wake up to the reality of all this and then shit will hit the fan. But that's still a bit in the future.

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:20 PM »
     I can only imagine that the bill literally comes later when they have to live off bread and water so to speak.           

Exactly.:) It is even worse - like 45% of the cars, say, in Saint Pete are credit ones (official stats, the number may be higher), many people cannot even afford those credits. Some Russians go as far as getting loans from banks allegedly to buy things but they use this cash to get a mortgage instead - it is actually so widely spread that it is now discussed in the Duma:). Many Russians live like there is no tomorrow and the implosion will be drastic (catastrophic?) at a certain point, wait for 1-2 years. Think Venezuela, we are surely going there.

One day they'll wake up to the reality of all this and then shit will hit the fan. But that's still a bit in the future.   

In the near:) future. The fan has already been switched on, they have plenty of sh't and they keep throwing it at the fan. A couple of misses, but they keep trying hard.
By the way, thank you for your response, I have added some more considerations, check your PM.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »
How many middle class americans do you know that have no debt, zero debt?  I don't know any.  yet I know a few Russians with zero debt and two apartments.  live in one and rent the other for income, in addition to a regular job.  im talking about midldle class.  these are people with more disposable income than the average American and they can afford to take Svetlana to Thailand for a week, while most middle class americans cant.  Russians also tend to inherit property.  Between rising health care costs, old peoples gambling addiction, the scam of a reverse mortgage.....  americans aren't leaving much lately to the next generation. 

Yes, Russia has a large middle class.  Ive flown Aeroflot a lot, Yerevan, Irkutsk, Vladivostok, Tbilisi, etc.  And each time full of Russians.  also most of the women ive dated which are middle class have taken some sort of international vacation.

I have zero debt.  I have avoided the "three headed monster" of education, health care, and real estate which keeps going up.  Purchasing power has dropped way down over the decades.  You millennials have a more difficult hill to climb as you enter adulthood.  Many of them have a live for today mentality. :party0031:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
Think Venezuela, we are surely going there.

"The production models we've tried so far have failed and the responsibility is ours, mine and yours,"

You failed?  Really?   :chuckle:

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/wake-call-venezuelan-president-blames-himself-and-his-party-economic-failure
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »

Retiring somewhere with a bundle of cash/abundant Western pension is not exactly the same thing as living with the Russian passport as a Russian for decades here. Actually, it is a different cup of tea altogether.
You are welcome to retire there of course, only if you are ready for the increased military presence and for the military choppers buzzing right above your head on the beach (ref.: sporadic electricity/water/Internet outages (ref.: sometimes prolonged ones, for the questionable services and for unclear bank cards statuses (even Sberbank doesn't operate there as I understand, fearing the sanctions despite all the hot air). And who knows what else will happen in the Crimea in the near future. I personally think the story will keep developing, look at the history of the peninsula possession: Other than that, the Crimea is a great place with fantastic nature, I took my gf (the one who allegedly suffers from the lack of money and cell phones) three times there, she enjoyed the beaches and the sea a lot.
Crimea is a quiet Touristy peninsula now, most of that buzzing happened in 2014-2016 , now it only happens close to Belbek, but here in NL thats no different close to soesterberg (Military) or Schiphol (Civilian) :)

I haven't seen an internet outage more than once every year, so thats bearable (We do skype with mother-in-law every day) and water is stable supply since 2016 too.

There's room for much improvement in Crimea, but all the stuff cited is typicly stuff that was there for a long , long time and Russia is catching up slowly to the decades of neglect from Ukraine.

Mark.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
    Russia is catching up slowly to the decades of neglect from Ukraine.         

Catching up? Yes, the prices for groceries and many other things are almost two times higher than in Ukraine now, congratulations.:)
Yes, catching up like this: And like this (in your beloved Evpatoria):

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
Prices for groceries in Odessa (2016 but I assume they haven't changed a whole lot). We are paying at least the double price for that in Putin's Russia!  :dh:  :coffeeread: :snivel: So, Mark, tell us, what are you so happy about? The fences everywhere, the exorbitantly steep prices (in comparison with what they used to be)? I remember dining in refined Ukrainian restaurants in the Crimea in 2005 for like a couple of dollars, including beer and a delicious barbecue. Why am I supposed to pay through the nose now if I fancy going there again???! I would not feel any greatness, I would feel like a person who has been taken for a ride.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 01:16:16 AM »
    Russia is catching up slowly to the decades of neglect from Ukraine.         

Catching up? Yes, the prices for groceries and many other things are almost two times higher than in Ukraine now, congratulations.:)
Yes, catching up like this: And like this (in your beloved Evpatoria):
But so is the income of citizens on state-support (unemployed, pensions, etc.). It nearly doubled when they left Ukraine.

And how is it Russia's fault that prices have soared and what can they do about it? Think like a gov't and not blame it. Crimea is effectively an island since Ukraine closed land-access to Crimea. I expect that now that the Bridge is open, prices will become more reasonable again.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2018, 01:25:04 AM »

And how is it Russia's fault that prices have soared and what can they do about it? Think like a gov't and not blame it. Crimea is effectively an island since Ukraine closed land-access to Crimea. I expect that now that the Bridge is open, prices will become more reasonable again.

I 'see' - so the four times increase in ferry traffic made no difference ?

I'm in another 'twilight zone' part of the world where most nations don't accept it's 'existence' and prices are much LOWER than the recognised part ..  One can't fly here direct, and there's no bridge - just ferries from the one nation that does 'recognise' it's existence ....

This 'twilight zone' is a place Crimea needs to learn from, it seems

Offline Seasoned

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2018, 01:38:21 AM »

Think like a gov't and not blame it.         

No, I want the government to think like me and to do what I really want as a citizen and to have it suit my needs, not vice versa, sorry. I think this approach is pretty normal in the cizilized world.:)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2018, 02:30:05 AM »

Think like a gov't and not blame it.         

No, I want the government to think like me and to do what I really want as a citizen and to have it suit my needs, not vice versa, sorry. I think this approach is pretty normal in the cizilized world.:)

Aha, in that case all is well in Crimea. Problems are being picked up and solved and life gradually becomes better each year.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2018, 02:49:12 AM »

Aha, in that case all is well in Crimea.

for who ?