The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
As we have lots of folks from the US here a good topic I thought. An observation from the last year or two: Many Brits have either relocated, are thinking of doing so, are laying groundwork, etc. It's something I'm seeing more and more. I'm wondering if its a wider trend or just a coincidental bubble of folks I happen to know.

Example: Chap I know, lots of cash, pleasant wife, successful business, nice house, grown up kids. He trots off to GA and starts the carbon copy of his UK business, now has a house, daughter in uni there, identical cars (and even number plates) both sides of the pond, and spends time in both places.

Example: Bloke who works for the guy above: Regular chap, decent job and £, settled, wife, teenage kids etc. Told me recently he plans to sell up when he retires and go live in GA or FL.

Example: Chap I know who has a very successful business, I called in to see him the other day, saw instead his son who said Dad was "at his house in the US where he now spends as much time as he can" - I asked where in the US and his son changed the subject (good lad - he doesn't know me).

These are not isolated folks. This subject is cropping up quite often. When someone is "abroad at his other house" that always meant Spain, France, Portugal or somewhere European. Now it seems to be the US more and more. 

I'm wondering firstly where they're all going. FL has been the traditional stomping ground for Brits, but Atlanta seems to be cropping up in conversation too. And secondly, why? Maybe weather, maybe with Corbyn and another several million Muslims on the horizon, people are getting the hell out and preparing a second life before it all hits the fan.  :chuckle:

Brits used to like to go to Oz and Canada. Oz is notoriously difficult to live in and Canada is so PC, leftist and peculiar since Trudeau got in that nobody goes there now. So the US seems to be the English speaking country of choice again.

I wondered if anyone has any observations or thoughts on the subject?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Brits Relocating to the US – Is This a Trend?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
No way would I ever move there!!

I could not stand all those accents every where I went,, it would drive me nuts!!!! Mostly OAP's from the UK go there don't they? Buy some gated house with a golf club.. it would be worse than living in Spain with all the fish and chip shops..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
 I'm guessing that Atlanta would be popular because the real estate would be cheap there compared to places like Florida or California. And the climate would still be quite mild. It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

House prices might be a factor why Canada isn't such a popular destination anymore either. They have really gone crazy the past 5-10 years here. So much so that there are many people here now who are working just to pay their mortgage and car payments. If they lose their income they are only 2-3 months away from financial difficulty. So those pounds of yours would go a lot further moving down there instead... enough so that you lot would be willing to give up our wonderful winter weather here.  ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm guessing that Atlanta would be popular because the real estate would be cheap there compared to places like Florida or California. And the climate would still be quite mild. It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

House prices might be a factor why Canada isn't such a popular destination anymore either. They have really gone crazy the past 5-10 years here. So much so that there are many people here now who are working just to pay their mortgage and car payments. If they lose their income they are only 2-3 months away from financial difficulty. So those pounds of yours would go a lot further moving down there instead... enough so that you lot would be willing to give up our wonderful winter weather here.  ;D

It's quite dark there and there will be areas where you would not want to venture to which is probably a big reason why the pricing is down but I'm sure you could find a lot of nice places there in the suburbs that would be safe.

That sums up the US.. if you want to move there make sure you take a shot gun with you... :laugh:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
I chatted with a lady from England over 20 years ago in a chat room.  She hated the UK weather (too cloudy and cold) and later moved to Hawaii where she likes to sunbathe.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:17:48 PM »
I chatted with a lady from England over 20 years ago in a chat room.  She hated the UK weather (too cloudy and cold) and later moved to Hawaii where she likes to sunbathe.

Blimmey!! How old are you? :laugh:

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

Most likely older than you.    :laugh:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »

That English women who moved to Hawaii she is probably knocking on 70 now? Yuck must look like an old prune now sunbathing especially if she's into topless..  :laugh:

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
I don't think topless sunbathing is much o a thing over the pond, Steve.

Grim English weather may be one thing to escape from I suppose.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:24 AM »
As we have lots of folks from the US here a good topic I thought. An observation from the last year or two: Many Brits have either relocated, are thinking of doing so, are laying groundwork, etc. It's something I'm seeing more and more. I'm wondering if its a wider trend or just a coincidental bubble of folks I happen to know.

Didn't you ask them WHY ?

I'll bet some will say 'Brexit' ;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
I don't think topless sunbathing is much o a thing over the pond, Steve.

Grim English weather may be one thing to escape from I suppose.

But your Pro Russian ? For Mother Russia!! So if your thinking of leaving the UK Russia should  be your number 1 choice ??

You could have a very very good life in Russia.. why wouldn't you come to the Mother land?  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Given enough ackers one can make a nice life in either place. If I were thinking of retiring/retreating to someplace else and the two choices were Russia or the US then if I had enough money (and it'd need to be a fair chunk) the U.S. would probably win. That's for two reasons:
1) language is easily understood by me in places with nice weather and good living standards.
2) well, that's about it.

But then, unless pushed, I would not choose either. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
Some Brit just moved to St Petersburg a few weeks back but is living the country life out on a Dacha with his wife, chickens and all.. fair play to him..

Out out tonight with some friends from Moscow and some English guy helping him work out how he can come live here..

I have no intentions of leaving, will probably be buried here.. :laugh:

Unless they chuck me out for some thing then it will be Moldova .. can live a nice life there..

I could never live in the USA .. its ok to visit but live no.. If I did move their I would be a hypocrite and that I am not for 100%!!!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
Some Brit just moved to St Petersburg a few weeks back but is living the country life out on a Dacha with his wife, chickens and all.. fair play to him..

Out out tonight with some friends from Moscow and some English guy helping him work out how he can come live here..

Unless they chuck me out for some thing then it will be Moldova .. can live a nice life there..

I could never live in the USA .. its ok to visit but live no.. If I did move their I would be a hypocrite and that I am not for 100%!!!

Yes but we have the best kryogenics facilities for freezing your dead body until science can bring you back to life!  :chuckle:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »

Yes but we have the best kryogenics facilities for freezing your dead body until science can bring you back to life!  :chuckle:

mmm ok I can be a hypocrite  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 11:24:34 AM »

Osiris Cryogenics Miami, Florida. 

Many biological specimens, including whole insects, many types of human tissue including brain tissue, and human embryos have been cryogenically preserved, stored at liquid nitrogen temperature where all decay ceases, and revived.

http://osiriscryonics.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JTzwMuc3AIVEb7ACh3ycgZuEAAYASAAEgKA8PD_BwE

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »

That English women who moved to Hawaii she is probably knocking on 70 now? Yuck must look like an old prune now sunbathing especially if she's into topless..  :laugh:
I  lost contact with the lady from two decades ago.  She was married to an American and had a son and she did mention about topless sunbathing since she was living out in a place not close to the major cities on the Big Island (the one with the erupting volcano). She most likely is hitting senior age now, but she never liked the dismal weather in England (not enough sun).

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »

Be careful.  An egg processing lab had its freezing equipment malfunction recently and the temperatures rose which destroyed the frozen embryos.  You could prematurely thaw out and then start to decompose again.   :laugh:   :o :sick0012:

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »

I know sensible people. I bet none of them would say Brexit. A couple of them might say Trump, though.

But your Pro Russian ? For Mother Russia!! So if your thinking of leaving the UK Russia should  be your number 1 choice ??

You could have a very very good life in Russia.. why wouldn't you come to the Mother land?  :)

I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption. Alright some of the inhabitants are a bit dim and getting shot is a possibility. Plus the US does not check people out so overstaying is easy, as is residence. Not so in Russia. Russia would win on food quality (as it isnt laced with chemicals, corn syrup and hormones) and women though. Proper fluency in the language is necessary in Russia unless you use a woman as a crutch.

Online Steamer

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »
I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption.

We have a lot of Brits in my area (auto industry) and they are all about money. They have contracts with engineering shops, make all the cash they can and head back. Sounds like a winning plan to me.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption.

We have a lot of Brits in my area (auto industry) and they are all about money. They have contracts with engineering shops, make all the cash they can and head back. Sounds like a winning plan to me.

Odd that isnt it? I'd have thought the US had plenty of engineering expertise in the automotive field and wouldn't need to import it. Unless something specialist where homegrown skills are thin on the ground.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »

I know sensible people. I bet none of them would say Brexit. A couple of them might say Trump, though.

I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption. Alright some of the inhabitants are a bit dim and getting shot is a possibility. Plus the US does not check people out so overstaying is easy, as is residence. Not so in Russia. Russia would win on food quality (as it isnt laced with chemicals, corn syrup and hormones) and women though. Proper fluency in the language is necessary in Russia unless you use a woman as a crutch.

More than a few are dim, the inability to distinguish between a democracy and a communist dictatorship on this very forum is ample evidence of that.

Organic food without the crap you mentioned is easily available however it’s become a bit of a ripoff. Getting the government to certify something as organic is a big part of the cost.

Land is so inexpensive in many areas that you can buy 5 acres and grow your own healthy food like 2TallBill does.

Eastern Europe as a whole has hordes of slim attractive women who take pride in being beautiful.

American women have lost their way and they seem to take pride in going out in public dressed like homeless people with their bellies hanging out and all the disgusting tattoos proudly littering their grotesque bodies.  :sick0012:

Online Steamer

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »

Odd that isnt it? I'd have thought the US had plenty of engineering expertise in the automotive field and wouldn't need to import it. Unless something specialist where homegrown skills are thin on the ground.

It's about having a flexible workforce. When they develop a new model they need a lot of eng's for a year or 2 and as it goes into production not so much. That way they need a smaller full time staff.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »

I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption

earning capability. You can earn what you want from any where in the world if you want, don't need to go to US to earn lots of cash..

language. Nearly every one speaks English in the big cities ..4 million tourists a year in Pitter so its pretty normal even in business.. Easy if you have a Russian partner.

healthcare Private healthcare in the cities is as goos as any where in Europe even  better Im sure ask ( I forgot his name now, but lives in Moscow)

infrastructure. Coming on very very fast over the last 10 years.. I travelled all over the US and not every where is so perfect..

If you moved to the US you would be  traitor to the Motherland.. it would be impossible for you to run the forum.. ;D

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »

I suspect the US wins on earning capability, language, healthcare, infrastructure and corruption

earning capability. You can earn what you want from any where in the world if you want, don't need to go to US to earn lots of cash..

language. Nearly every one speaks English in the big cities ..4 million tourists a year in Pitter so its pretty normal even in business.. Easy if you have a Russian partner.

healthcare Private healthcare in the cities is as goos as any where in Europe even  better Im sure ask ( I forgot his name now, but lives in Moscow)

infrastructure. Coming on very very fast over the last 10 years.. I travelled all over the US and not every where is so perfect..

If you moved to the US you would be  traitor to the Motherland.. it would be impossible for you to run the forum.. ;D

Steve, I suspect you are mixing up countries.

Private healthcare is fine in each country. I suspect 'public' health care is superior in America to Russia, and allot more expensive. But this is a guess.

The US infrastructure is under incredible stress and is failing at multiple points. The Russian infrastructure has lagged behind the West and is struggling to catch up. Both countries have made attempts to catch up.

It is helpful in Russia to speak Russian and in the United States, some sort of English is a popular language to communicate in.

Earning Capability depends on your skills, but I suspect the average day labour in a major metropolitan area in the United States earns allot more than in Russia. On the other side the cost of living is less outside of say Pitter or Moscow.

Corruption is prevalent in both countries just codified in different ways.

I suspect you are thinking of Jerash? or perhaps Gypsy? Would be interesting to hear there 2 kopecks.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration