The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Safety  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Safety
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
Curious how people feel. I lived In one fo the safest cities in Canada, and although I can’t report any serious issues, I feel even safer in Moscow. In fact, Moscow feels to me the safest place I’ve ever been. No worries of issues nor even any apprehensions.

I imagine it could be different in the US since everyone is packing. The idea of it simply chills me.

In terms of safety, what are other countries like? How do people feel in the countries they are living in?

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
Curious how people feel. I lived In one fo the safest cities in Canada, and although I can’t report any serious issues, I feel even safer in Moscow. In fact, Moscow feels to me the safest place I’ve ever been. No worries of issues nor even any apprehensions.

I imagine it could be different in the US since everyone is packing. The idea of it simply chills me.

In terms of safety, what are other countries like? How do people feel in the countries they are living in?

Engaging thoughts Jerash. As a person who has not yet visited Moscow, your words are encouraging to me. Would you care to elaborate on why you feel Moscow is such as safe place? What city did you come from in Canada? Without incriminating Moscow, I do have personal experience in Canada (we own a cottage in the Madawaska Valley, Ontario) and I can't imagine a people / place being more friendly, hospitable and safer than up there.

Yes, the concealed carry concept doesn't sit well with many foreigners. I can only suggest you try it and it may cure your chills. Just as many foreigners don't understand our need to carry guns, I don't understand how people often argue, 'self defense is not a valid reason to carry.' Have those folks never run across a bear before? We get bears in our driveway all the time. 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Jerash

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »

If you have bears in your driveway, you have a need for a gun.

I don't, I live in a city, there's nothing wild here.  No one here has a gun and there's no safety issues.  I'd hate to be the first with a gun here.  I'd rather shoot myself than someone else.  I don't believe in killing.

How to elaborate on Moscow?  I lived in Ottawa, one of the safest cities in Canada. As I said, no real problems there, but I feel even safer here.  I don't worry about walking home at any time of day, and I imagine girls would feel the same.  Nothing at all ever came up.  Yesterday there were some drunkards yelling loudly.  We hurried up so as not to interact with them  but the bizarre thing is since I've been is Moscow, thats the first time it happened.

I just feel very safe here.  People are very civilized.  I've been in many parts of Moscow and it's all the same.  Sometimes in Ottawa, I would get nervous about something; that doesn't even come up here.

Engaging thoughts Jerash. As a person who has not yet visited Moscow, your words are encouraging to me. Would you care to elaborate on why you feel Moscow is such as safe place? What city did you come from in Canada? Without incriminating Moscow, I do have personal experience in Canada (we own a cottage in the Madawaska Valley, Ontario) and I can't imagine a people / place being more friendly, hospitable and safer than up there.

Yes, the concealed carry concept doesn't sit well with many foreigners. I can only suggest you try it and it may cure your chills. Just as many foreigners don't understand our need to carry guns, I don't understand how people often argue, 'self defense is not a valid reason to carry.' Have those folks never run across a bear before? We get bears in our driveway all the time.

I don't, I live in a city, there's nothing wild here.  No one here has a gun and there's no safety issues.  I'd hate to be the first with a gun here.  I'd rather shoot myself than someone else.  I don't believe in killing.

How to elaborate on Moscow?  I lived in Ottawa, one of the safest cities in Canada. As I said, no real problems there, but I feel even safer here.  I don't worry about walking home at any time of day, and I imagine girls would feel the same.  Nothing at all ever came up.  Yesterday there were some drunkards yelling loudly.  We hurried up so as not to interact with them  but the bizarre thing is since I've been is Moscow, thats the first time it happened.

I just feel very safe here.  People are very civilized.  I've been in many parts of Moscow and it's all the same.  Sometimes in Ottawa, I would get nervous about something; that doesn't even come up here.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 05:16:08 PM »

Madawaska country is very beautiful and i've often been through there on the way to Algonquin Park.  I'm sure everyone up that way owns guns, and I have no issue with it!

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »
Madawaska country is very beautiful and i've often been through there on the way to Algonquin Park.  I'm sure everyone up that way owns guns, and I have no issue with it!

Algonquin park - Alright! It's interesting to converse with someone from the same general area. Often when I talk with someone from Canada they're from a city I've never heard of before. Ottawa is a wonderful place that we've spent some time in as well.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »

I understand what you mean about killing - I feel the same way. Have never had to defend myself with a gun and hope it remains that way (but if the situation would happen to arise, it would most likely be against an animal - I sure hope anyway). Here in the US we have those who'll abuse our liberal firearms policies by carrying powerful rifles in public simply because they can. Of course we also have issues with massacres, police brutality, gang shootings and accidents, but that comes with the territory I guess.

Because of sentiments like yours, my attitude toward Moscow is changing... can't deny that it has an intimidation factor in my mind, but I think a visit will remedy this feeling. If the worst you have to contend with is an occasional group of shouting drunkards, I'd count myself lucky! Moscow, St. Petersburg and Sochi are on my visit list.   

Offline Jerash

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »

I understand what you mean about killing - I feel the same way. Have never had to defend myself with a gun and hope it remains that way (but if the situation would happen to arise, it would most likely be against an animal - I sure hope anyway). Here in the US we have those who'll abuse our liberal firearms policies by carrying powerful rifles in public simply because they can. Of course we also have issues with massacres, police brutality, gang shootings and accidents, but that comes with the territory I guess.

Because of sentiments like yours, my attitude toward Moscow is changing... can't deny that it has an intimidation factor in my mind, but I think a visit will remedy this feeling. If the worst you have to contend with is an occasional group of shouting drunkards, I'd count myself lucky! Moscow, St. Petersburg and Sochi are on my visit list.

You would be very welcomed. Muscovites are very open to tourists, not like other places in Europe where they are annoyed or worse by your presence.

As I said, it’s very safe, I work here and use the metro every day. Even at rush hour on the metro, everyone is normal, just understand it’s each man for himself and no apologies are given nor expected.  In rush hour, there are a lot of people, everywhere, that’s the issue. 

Sochi will be lovely , and I’m sure Peter too. Moscow is great. I guess it’s like New York but twice the size. Piles of 24 hour options and lots of English. You won’t have a problem if you were considering visiting. As I said, I never even think about the hour when I’m walking in the streets.  Nothing happens, which is how I want it!))

Offline Jerash

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »
While I lived in Ottawa and its environs for 11 years, I think Algonquin Park was the most beautiful place around, and certainly where many of my best memories are.  Where abouts in the Madawaskas?  The Polish area?

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:27 AM »
You would be very welcomed. Muscovites are very open to tourists, not like other places in Europe where they are annoyed or worse by your presence.

As I said, it’s very safe, I work here and use the metro every day. Even at rush hour on the metro, everyone is normal, just understand it’s each man for himself and no apologies are given nor expected.  In rush hour, there are a lot of people, everywhere, that’s the issue. 

Sochi will be lovely , and I’m sure Peter too. Moscow is great. I guess it’s like New York but twice the size. Piles of 24 hour options and lots of English. You won’t have a problem if you were considering visiting. As I said, I never even think about the hour when I’m walking in the streets.  Nothing happens, which is how I want it!))

I've never lived in a large city before, but I can understand the 'every man' concept - fairly universal I would imagine. But it's good to know that Moscow is friendly to tourists; that's important to me. Of course speaking English and having access to those 24-hour establishments is also a major benefit. Perhaps Moscow will be my first destination in Russia. 

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »
While I lived in Ottawa and its environs for 11 years, I think Algonquin Park was the most beautiful place around, and certainly where many of my best memories are.  Where abouts in the Madawaskas?  The Polish area?

Our cottage is situated on Kamaniskeg lake (between Barry's Bay and Combermere). Yes, Algonquin is a tranquil, gorgeous place. The calm waters of the area's glacial lakes are good for rowing and the pristine column visibility makes for excellent diving opportunities (lots of old wooden steamers to check out).

Do you have any plans to eventually return to the Ontario region?   

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
)))

You driven in Moscow  ?
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 05:21:49 AM »

You're welcome to stay in Canada, then, where, the way things are going, you will get carted off to Maoist Re-Education Camp for referring to a man in a dress as "he".  Good luck with that.

Fine and dandy in the US.  I've owned guns for more than 40 years.  Afraid of my firearms?  Then don't break into my house.  There are literally tens of millions of gun owners in the country. If you want to be amazed by something be amazed by how law-abiding we are. 

In the US, the only place you need to be worried are places where guns are banned - liberal, Democrat-run shitholes like Detroit, New Orleans, St. Louis, Newark, Baltimore, etc.

More here:

Number One With a Bullet

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »

You're welcome to stay in Canada, then, where, the way things are going, you will get carted off to Maoist Re-Education Camp for referring to a man in a dress as "he".  Good luck with that.

Fine and dandy in the US.  I've owned guns for more than 40 years.  Afraid of my firearms?  Then don't break into my house.  There are literally tens of millions of gun owners in the country. If you want to be amazed by something be amazed by how law-abiding we are. 

In the US, the only place you need to be worried are places where guns are banned - liberal, Democrat-run shitholes like Detroit, New Orleans, St. Louis, Newark, Baltimore, etc.

More here:

Number One With a Bullet

B/B

+1

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
I'm sure there are areas in Moscow that are not very safe,  but I  never felt  threatened even walking alone in the  middle of the night.
How you dress and looking out of place can lead to problems as the  bloke in the article found out while in Kiev.

HIPSTER HATE CRIME Brit tourist, 23, beaten unconscious by Ukraine thugs had teeth knocked out ‘because of his bright pink hair and piercings’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/5398197/british-tourist-attacked-ukraine-pink-hair-piercings/amp/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm sure there are areas in Moscow that are not very safe,  but I  never felt  threatened even walking alone in the  middle of the night.
How you dress and looking out of place can lead to problems as the  bloke in the article found out while in Kiev.

So, here's the thing: It's basically like the 80s  there.  Don't do anything you wouldn't do in Manhattan or Philly, and you'll be fine.  Do dumb shit like get hammered, grope unwilling women, or act/dress like a gay guy and yeah, you might get roughed up.

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »

Our cottage is situated on Kamaniskeg lake (between Barry's Bay and Combermere). Yes, Algonquin is a tranquil, gorgeous place. The calm waters of the area's glacial lakes are good for rowing and the pristine column visibility makes for excellent diving opportunities (lots of old wooden steamers to check out).

I think I've stayed on Kamaniskeg Lake once before.  It's all nice country out that way.  Have you ever made it to Wilno?  It's the first Polish settlement in Canada (Wilno being the Polish name for Vilnius) and there are some nice views there.

I doubt I'll ever return to that part of the country other than to visit.  If I do move back to Canada in the future, I expect it would be further West, where my folks are.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
)))

You driven in Moscow  ?

Never actually been in the driver's seat here (although it felt like it once being the passenger in a car made for the British market))).  But I've been driven around in one (not counting cabs) about a couple of dozen times.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »

HIPSTER HATE CRIME Brit tourist, 23, beaten unconscious by Ukraine thugs had teeth knocked out ‘because of his bright pink hair and piercings’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/5398197/british-tourist-attacked-ukraine-pink-hair-piercings/amp/

I imagine that Moscow has some less safe neighbourhoods, like any city would.  But I haven't found them yet.  One thing to keep in mind is how fast this city has changed and developed; sometimes I talk to locals who will give advice about what all the bad areas are, but it is based on 5-10 year old information that is no longer current.  Sometimes people say this about the east side of Moscow, where I've lived my whole time since arriving here.  I've never had an issue and have never really ever even felt uncomfortable.

As to thugs attacking a hipster, it's really hard for me to imagine this happening in Moscow.  First, I never see the "types" that I'd imagine would be game for that and, second, hipsterism is very alive and very well here in Moscow.  Certainly, "tourist" would never cross my mind if I saw someone with dyed-hair and piercings.  See it every day here and they're all Russian youth.  As is so often the case, there's probably more to the story than the media reports and I wouldn't be surprised if there are additional factors beyond just appearance that led to a 23 year Brit getting a walloping in Kiev....

I've been to Kiev 3 times, including twice in the last year.  Overall, Kiev didn't really strike me as an unsafe place, but definitely a bit dingier, and I do feel safer in Moscow.  Of course, I also said earlier that I lived in one of the safest cities in Canada and that I feel safer in Moscow. 

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »

I think I've stayed on Kamaniskeg Lake once before.  It's all nice country out that way.  Have you ever made it to Wilno?  It's the first Polish settlement in Canada (Wilno being the Polish name for Vilnius) and there are some nice views there.

I doubt I'll ever return to that part of the country other than to visit.  If I do move back to Canada in the future, I expect it would be further West, where my folks are.

Very cool! Yeah, it is definitely 'God's country' up that way. Yes, we frequent Wilno while we're up there, though I didn't know of the Polish connection - good to know. We like to eat at a place called the 'Wilno Tavern' - legend has it that Wilno is one of the towns where young men from the US fled to escape the draft during the Vietnam conflict.

I know this is a little off-topic, but as an example of just how clean the water is up there, get this: a neighbor up on our lake had lost a 10 HP outboard motor off his fishing skiff in 2013 (clamps weren't tight, apparently). We didn't get up to the house in 2014, but when we went up in 2015, dad and I mounted a little search and recovery effort (purely for our own entertainment). After a bit of searching, we found the outboard in about 18 feet of water, brought it to the surface, dried it out with alcohol and had the motor running again within a day - no joke! The cold, clean water combined with a hard-clay bottom (which kept the engine sitting on top of the lakebed) prevented corrosion and allowed the motor to be easily spotted. How no one else saw it before two years went by is beyond me. But when dad threw it on our little dinghy and went cruising across the bay, our neighbor nearly crapped himself. Actually we were all pretty surprised... two years! Of course we returned it to the guy and he was quite pleased (though he'd already bought a replacement motor).

If you're ever interested in returning to the area for a visit, let me know... we could put you up in the little guest cabin.     

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
Here's something interesting... the battle of Wilno (I learn something new every day man, I'm telling you). So Vilnius is a city in Poland; I did not know that. Thanks for mentioning this Jerash... the learning process in action! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wilno_(1939)

I love weapons but I'm terrible with military history (probably should brush up on this stuff, eh?).   

Offline Jerash

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 01:57:42 AM »
Here's something interesting... the battle of Wilno (I learn something new every day man, I'm telling you). So Vilnius is a city in Poland; I did not know that. Thanks for mentioning this Jerash... the learning process in action! 

I love weapons but I'm terrible with military history (probably should brush up on this stuff, eh?).

Stop the presses!  Vilnius, is not a part of Poland. It is the capital city of Lithuania. But there is an important connection with Poland - it was the capital of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (mid 16th century to the end of the 18th century).  This was the period when Poland was at its most glorious and powerful.

It is telling that Poland’s most famous and beloved piece of literature, Pan Tadeusz by Adam Sienkiewicz, begins with the words: “Oh Lithuania, my homeland”.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 02:52:52 AM »

Stop the presses!  Vilnius, is not a part of Poland. It is the capital city of Lithuania. But there is an important connection with Poland - it was the capital of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (mid 16th century to the end of the 18th century).  This was the period when Poland was at its most glorious and powerful.

It is telling that Poland’s most famous and beloved piece of literature, Pan Tadeusz by Adam Sienkiewicz, begins with the words: “Oh Lithuania, my homeland”.

Oops! In my defense, I've ordered a world map on amazon, it's just not here yet.  ;D

Okay, Lithuania, not Poland - thanks for setting me straight. I'll have to look up 'Pan Tadeusz.'

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »

More here:

Number One With a Bullet

B/B

I already previously pointed out to Jaresh that Honduras has gun control. Looks like there are problems in Sweden as well.  :coffeeread:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-23/sweden-hell-armed-migrant-teens-roaming-kalashnikovs-military-may-be-deployed

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
I already previously pointed out to Jaresh that Honduras has gun control. Looks like there are problems in Sweden as well.  :coffeeread:

"From my cold, dead hands...."

B/B