The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Amazon Echoes, Google assistants, etc.,  (Read 4434 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Amazon Echoes, Google assistants, etc.,
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2023, 11:19:10 AM »
Eh? Recording without your permission and then mailing said rec.  to random ppl from your contact list ? I'd love to know how that happened with functional mute

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/24/family-claims-their-echo-sent-a-private-conversation-to-a-random-contact/

Would not have happened if mute was activated.
And who says that mute wasn't activated.

Look, I know there are fanboys of these devices and for good reasons, but the security and privacy concerns are very real. Many big tech-companies have been caught with their pants down multiple times. Which is why I started this thread. To warn ppl about it. From your home-setup it seems you are fairly proficient in IT-knowledge, you should at least suspect, if not outright *know* stuff like this goes on. Its not rocket science.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2023, 11:25:39 AM »
Especially for BC , with relevant quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/amazons-alexa-never-stops-listening-to-you/

After all, an Alexa speaker, like the Echo or Dot, is an always-on listening device. Although it’s designed to listen only when called upon, sometimes it doesn’t play by its own rules. And sometimes it (as well as Amazon) behaves in ways that would justifiably make anyone worry about their privacy and security, as illustrated in a recent story in The Sun that claims Alexa may be privy to your intimate moments.

I wouldn't trust it not-listening on mute except if its a hardware-turn-off mute-switch

OO===[][]===OO

Online BC

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2023, 12:37:02 PM »
I wouldn't trust it not-listening on mute except if its a hardware-turn-off mute-switch

That, of course, is a personal choice.  I'm comfortable using the mute button, which Bezos describes here at around the 5-minute mark.

https://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/5801499afd2e616c66000029/d92b17fb-e5bb-4f90-86e7-a2adc2b08bbdlow.webm

If someone wants to spy on you, they can.  With some effort, someone could watch what you type on your computer, or listen to goings on in your home by bouncing invisible lasers off your windows.  As with any technology, only you can decide if the benefits outweigh any potential risks.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2023, 02:34:54 PM »

That, of course, is a personal choice.  I'm comfortable using the mute button, which Bezos describes here at around the 5-minute mark.

https://dp8hsntg6do36.cloudfront.net/5801499afd2e616c66000029/d92b17fb-e5bb-4f90-86e7-a2adc2b08bbdlow.webm

If someone wants to spy on you, they can.  With some effort, someone could watch what you type on your computer, or listen to goings on in your home by bouncing invisible lasers off your windows.  As with any technology, only you can decide if the benefits outweigh any potential risks.

Being a veteran SysAdmin, I remember that sketch (was a techie-video by John Cleese, very funny):

2 People are going to walk through a secure door, one legit, 1 hacker:

- Marketing Dude: Opens the secure door, notices the hacker behind him and ...... holds the door open.
- Manager Dude: Opens the secure door, notices the hacker but does nothing for or against the door... hacker can sneak in by speeding the pace a bit.
- Sysadmin Dude: Opens the secure door just enough to let themselves through as modus-operandi ... hacker has no chance.

I definately fall in the 3d category, If someone wants to bounce through a door without their own keycard its not being on mine. And that is the focus on most of what I do. I rarely post on facebook and when I do, I expect it to be public knowledge whatever my security setting says. My phone is as innocuous as they come, just some games/work stuff. Same for other things. Which is why I am regularly approached by Dutch-Mil for IT work, and fail their screening because the wife is from Crimea  :ROFL: Now of course they can't officially fail me as I am spotless, but they will simply delay,delay,delay until the client drops the gig.

OO===[][]===OO

Online BC

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2023, 10:50:54 PM »
I definately fall in the 3d category, If someone wants to bounce through a door without their own keycard its not being on mine. And that is the focus on most of what I do. I rarely post on facebook and when I do, I expect it to be public knowledge whatever my security setting says. My phone is as innocuous as they come, just some games/work stuff.

Yes, this is called being prudent with your privacy.  Nothing wrong with that.  The most effective ways to maintain privacy are quite simple and start with usernames one uses on fora such as RUA.  Some folks use fairly unique usernames avatars and email addresses across multiple social networks that are easy to search.  On Facebook, I use a fake name, here as well and both are different.  Although not perfect, most modern routers are fairly secure. It's pretty easy, for example, to assign IOT-type devices that are mostly 2.4GHz anyway to the guest network instead.  Here, I use two internet connections, one I use for business, and the other for the rest of the family and guests.  I also use firefox, for example as a dedicated browser via NordVPN, and hide my email for signing up to some websites, etc.  I click all the disallow boxes when visiting websites, and report websites that make you tick more than a few boxes to privacy authorities. I also pay a network guy that sets up and checks the network from time to time.  Sure, it's not perfect, but meets my needs.  Far too many are not aware of the simple stuff they can do with standard tools available to them to maintain a bit of privacy.  This stuff should be taught in grade school.

My dad told me long ago, before the internet, to think first before opening my mouth, and not to say anything I would not like repeated by someone else.  These wise words are even more important in this cut n paste web.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2023, 02:59:42 PM »
Yeah , nothing to see here guys, move along !

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/23/01/10/1750227/roomba-testers-feel-misled-after-intimate-images-ended-up-on-facebook

God, how many times before people will realise the danger of these things.

I mean, a vacuum machine robot with a camera.... upskirt oopsie? naah will never happen.
OO===[][]===OO

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2023, 06:01:12 AM »
Yeah , nothing to see here guys, move along !

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/23/01/10/1750227/roomba-testers-feel-misled-after-intimate-images-ended-up-on-facebook

God, how many times before people will realise the danger of these things.

I mean, a vacuum machine robot with a camera.... upskirt oopsie? naah will never happen.

You'll just need to make sure that you're not wearing your skirt, when you have a tidy up mate!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »

You'll just need to make sure that you're not wearing your skirt, when you have a tidy up mate!
Good advice  :laugh:
OO===[][]===OO

Registration