The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ten reasons why Russians don't smile much.  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Ten reasons why Russians don't smile much.
« on: January 15, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
Knowing when, and how to smile could help make a good first impression.

ten_reasons_why_russians_dont_smile_much_31259
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Ten reasons why Russians don't smile much.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »

https://www.rbth.com/arts/2013/11/29/ten_reasons_why_russians_dont_smile_much_31259

Glad you broached this interesting subject Tom Cat. Another member here at RUA was telling me that, by and large, Russian ladies don't like to see photographs of men smiling... news to me!

I would have thought just the opposite; women are looking for a smile to indicate a sunny disposition - goes to prove how wrong I can be. I had to come up with a headshot where I am looking disgruntled and ferocious, hence my new avatar (and you can see how well that went over). I can't help that I'm a happy-go-lucky kind of guy... sue me for being pleasant why don't you?  ;D 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »

https://www.rbth.com/arts/2013/11/29/ten_reasons_why_russians_dont_smile_much_31259

Glad you broached this interesting subject Tom Cat. Another member here at RUA was telling me that, by and large, Russian ladies don't like to see photographs of men smiling... news to me!

I would have thought just the opposite; women are looking for a smile to indicate a sunny disposition - goes to prove how wrong I can be. I had to come up with a headshot where I am looking disgruntled and ferocious, hence my new avatar (and you can see how well that went over). I can't help that I'm a happy-go-lucky kind of guy... sue me for being pleasant why don't you?  ;D

You look like a hobbit with a large prop from Game of Thrones.  :king:

Lose the prop and start over. Just be yourself and use photos of yourself smiling.

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »

Lose the prop and start over. Just be yourself and use photos of yourself smiling.

:laugh:

Well I had that cute one of me on the ski slopes when I was about seven years old, but after learning of the 'smile law' I figured that was too obvious a display of joy. I'm just not very photogenic I guess.

And the axe face of that prop did a nasty job on my finger when I was trying to 'pose' for that picture. I also nearly poked my mother's left eyeball out with the speartip... it would appear that I'm actually less dangerous with a gun in my hand than a halberd.

Alright Confederate, I'll smile for the next one. But meantime, let us see your pearly whites.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »

:laugh:

Well I had that cute one of me on the ski slopes when I was about seven years old, but after learning of the 'smile law' I figured that was too obvious a display of joy. I'm just not very photogenic I guess.

And the axe face of that prop did a nasty job on my finger when I was trying to 'pose' for that picture. I also nearly poked my mother's left eyeball out with the speartip... it would appear that I'm actually less dangerous with a gun in my hand than a halberd.

Alright Confederate, I'll smile for the next one. But meantime, let us see your pearly whites.

https://goo.gl/images/zRkgGG

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »

Offline Contrarian

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:02:03 AM »
Look at this image:

Tell me it doesn't imply a warmth in the direction of the  recipient and a twinkle..

Learn the male equiv and forget this daft article ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:22:52 AM »
I was reading some guy from the UK's blog about Russia , a little piece about why Russians do not smile all the time. seems pretty good to me..

"I have a theory about Russia. Any foreigner who comes here will ask about the locals, “Why is it that people don’t smile, what’s wrong with them?” I’ve noticed it too of course. I asked my Russian friends and they said, “What, you think we should be like those stupid Americans? Walking around smiling at every stranger in the street, and looking like some kind of retard?” Well, I thought about it a bit and came to this conclusion: Russian society is tribal. If people don’t know you, if you aren’t “one of them”, then you are an outsider. Nobody’s going to help you just because, or for that matter smile just because. But you can become “one of them”. It’s not that hard. There’s no one clear formula to success here. Sometimes, it can be a very long process; but at other times, all it might take is one simple joke or deed of some kind. But once you become accepted as “one of them”, the bond is far closer than when you make friends in England. I have good friends in England, and we have fun together, but there is a line… Here, people are far more loyal to their own, more compassionate, they give you more. Two years ago I found out I had cancer and I went to England for treatment. My English friends called and wrote wonderful messages full of hope: “If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know”. But right off the bat, my Russian friends wrote, “What can I do to help? Do you need money? Time? Connections?” It is so much more – and more valuable – than our English approach of, “If there’s anything I can do to help…”

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
From my experience in Russia,  if you have  small children accompanying you,  most Russians will be more  receptive.
Women  especially  will  assist you with  directions, ECT.

You can  almost always get a  smile  from  Babushkas when you offer an arm to help them across an icy  street, or on stairs 
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
I was reading some guy from the UK's blog about Russia , a little piece about why Russians do not smile all the time. seems pretty good to me..

"I have a theory about Russia. Any foreigner who comes here will ask about the locals, “Why is it that people don’t smile, what’s wrong with them?” I’ve noticed it too of course. I asked my Russian friends and they said, “What, you think we should be like those stupid Americans? Walking around smiling at every stranger in the street, and looking like some kind of retard?” Well, I thought about it a bit and came to this conclusion: Russian society is tribal. If people don’t know you, if you aren’t “one of them”, then you are an outsider. Nobody’s going to help you just because, or for that matter smile just because. But you can become “one of them”. It’s not that hard. There’s no one clear formula to success here. Sometimes, it can be a very long process; but at other times, all it might take is one simple joke or deed of some kind. But once you become accepted as “one of them”, the bond is far closer than when you make friends in England. I have good friends in England, and we have fun together, but there is a line… Here, people are far more loyal to their own, more compassionate, they give you more. Two years ago I found out I had cancer and I went to England for treatment. My English friends called and wrote wonderful messages full of hope: “If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know”. But right off the bat, my Russian friends wrote, “What can I do to help? Do you need money? Time? Connections?” It is so much more – and more valuable – than our English approach of, “If there’s anything I can do to help…”

Saying (in the West): “let me know if there’s anything I can do to help” is fake. They say it to make themselves feel good. Try to actually take them up on it and you’ll soon find out who is genuine and who is fake.

• Supporting Hero Member

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »

Glad I'm figuring this stuff out now. Look like a *snip*, learn some Russian, buy some real estate and you're in like Flynn.  :laugh:

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:37:18 AM »

Saying (in the West): “let me know if there’s anything I can do to help” is fake. They say it to make themselves feel good. Try to actually take them up on it and you’ll soon find out who is genuine and who is fake.

Fairly accurate Confederate. Providing a (false) cell phone number really pumps up the perceived sympathy! :ROFL:

Joking aside, where I live we do send out a lot of flowers, fruit baskets and such. People are croaking all the time, it's pathetic.   

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 03:30:53 AM »
But right off the bat, my Russian friends wrote, “What can I do to help? Do you need money? Time? Connections?” It is so much more – and more valuable – than our English approach of, “If there’s anything I can do to help…”

Absolutely spot on...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen