The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Not Russian TV - but about ex-pat Russians..and much more  (Read 3104 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Not Russian TV - but about ex-pat Russians..and much more
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »
I've long been a fan of Misha Glenny ..  a former BBC correspondent  -  and something of an expert on the Balkans

He wrote a non-fictional book called McMafia which has been transformed into a serial on BBC1

I've only seem the first episode ..already the stage is set with beautiful FSU women, rich bankers and Oligrachs, Mossad, FSB, murders on foreign soil  ... but I'll watch more..

IF you can watch UK content   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p05pkszd/mcmafia-series-1-episode-1 - ( if not get a UK VPN - or wait for it in your nation)... 

So far, so captivating...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Not Russian TV - but about ex-pat Russians..and much more
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »
Anyone watching this?

British-raised Alex Godman, the son of exiled Russians, struggles to live an honest life free from his parents' mafia connections. In addition to Russians, Alex must confront shadowy figures from the world of organised crime, including Mexican drug cartels, Pakistani drug lords and Balkan smugglers.

Pretty good up to now, plenty of well known Russian actors in it, apparently. Plenty of Russian dialogue so your wife will like it too.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Poldark

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »
It's a good show, I can tell that there are some realities that are still happening and being shown as close as it can get before it crosses over to showing too much and therefore helps people get away with financial crime.

My main issues are the phones and sim cards, are they all stupid? You don't use your personal phone with a burner sim, the mobile's ID is easily linked and why did he travel on his own passport although that was raised so maybe he travels on a fake in future?

I also have an issue with some of the financial set up but that's more from a professional perspective than anthing, still entertaining so far.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

My main issues are the phones and sim cards, are they all stupid? You don't use your personal phone with a burner sim, the mobile's ID is easily linked...

Remember the plot .... He's the good guy and had nothing to hide ? ...    He put in the sim and used it to call the ( presumably ) sole contact on the sim.... 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic