The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Leviathan - Russian Film on iPlayer - Левиафан  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The Leviathan - Russian Film on iPlayer - Левиафан
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:14:24 AM »
Browsing through iPlayer I encountered this Russian film (English subs) called The Leviathan from 2014.

Wifey said it was a well known director and actors, so we watched it.

Ignore the image on the cover, it's not about that; thats symbolic. It's about a bloke with a house and the local mayor wants to CPO it for a fraction of its value. And his fight to try to keep it. A must for anyone who has never encountered Russian bureaucracy. It's not one to watch with the kids BTW - too much swearing.

This is an arthouse type of film. It moves quite slowly too. Not my usual type of film perhaps, but worth a watch IMO.

I won't give away the plot, but the subtext of the story perhaps explains why a defeatist attitude when dealing with authority is to be found in some Russians. Also, if you have never been to Russia, it gives a good look at a typical Mud City (shot somewhere near Murmansk).

If a Brit, you'll currently find it on iPlayer. Everyone else will find it online somewhere if you know how.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: The Leviathan - Russian Film on iPlayer - Левиафан
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:13:07 AM »
Browsing through iPlayer I encountered this Russian film (English subs) called The Leviathan from 2014.

Wifey said it was a well known director and actors, so we watched it.

Ignore the image on the cover, it's not about that; thats symbolic. It's about a bloke with a house and the local mayor wants to CPO it for a fraction of its value. And his fight to try to keep it. A must for anyone who has never encountered Russian bureaucracy. It's not one to watch with the kids BTW - too much swearing.

This is an arthouse type of film. It moves quite slowly too. Not my usual type of film perhaps, but worth a watch IMO.

I won't give away the plot, but the subtext of the story perhaps explains why a defeatist attitude when dealing with authority is to be found in some Russians. Also, if you have never been to Russia, it gives a good look at a typical Mud City (shot somewhere near Murmansk).

If a Brit, you'll currently find it on iPlayer. Everyone else will find it online somewhere if you know how.

Don’t forget to pay the licence fee before you do!

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:34 AM »
The cover shot looks like it’s in Scotland.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »

Won't be any of that going on.  :chuckle:

Does anyone happen to know where to get more of Andrey Zvyagentev movies with English subs?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »

Won't be any of that going on.  :chuckle:

Does anyone happen to know where to get more of Andrey Zvyagentev movies with English subs?

I’ll have a look, usually have to find the subs yourself and they are usually crap and go out of sync.

We’re doing the opposite, created a channel on my Plex server full of BBC stuff MIL loves. Last time she was here she got addicted to Happy Valley...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
Give her a password and let her stream whatever you share on your Plex server.

You can afford the bandwidth.  :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 01:49:36 AM »
Give her a password and let her stream whatever you share on your Plex server.

You can afford the bandwidth.  :)

She doesn’t speak English so we are just ring fencing off these things and adding Russian subtitles. Total technophobe too.

Plus not sure she’d be interested in the On The Buses film trilogy!