The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: U.S. scales back Russian visa operations after Putin cuts embassy staff  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russians may experience a bit more difficulties in getting a visa to visit the United states.
How long before Russia will do the same?

U.S. scales back Russian visa operations after Putin cuts embassy staff

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKCN1B10V6
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

US embassy in Russia temporarily halts issue of non-immigrant visas

https://www.rt.com/news/400346-us-embassy-russia-visas/

State Department's Petty Revenge: No More US Tourist Visas in the Russian Provinces

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/state-departments-petty-revenge-no-more-us-tourist-visas-russian-provinces/ri20711
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Texan77

Come on Tom! What would expect? Do you think the US would send home spies or the people to make visas if they had to choose. The US government would love Russia to make it hard on US people visiting Russia. It would be another sanction that would hurt the Russian economy and not cost any political clout.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
I think TC reads what he wants to read ..

The Russians seek the US has the same number of staff here in Russia as the RF has in Washington ...

Q which way has more applications ?  I THINK it'll be RU to USA, no ? ..

Now we have Sergy Lavrov saying the US response is 'trying to make Russians think bad of their govt' ..... Well HELLO the staff who must go are RUSSIANs employed by the US... 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Given the manner in which U.S consular services are organised it is no surprise that they have been hit by the imposed staffing cuts. From what I have seen the 'official' Russian reaction reflects an understanding of that. Of course there is inevitable noise making, but that's normal and to be expected. Outlets such as Russia Insider are bound to pick that up and amplify it, that's what they do!

In a similar situation Russia would be much less affected because they outsource most of the consular work related to visas.

I can understand the need to suspend the service for a few days given that all work is going to have to be centralised to Moscow, that will not be a small task to organise and implement just before most of the staff leave and hand over the work to a skeleton staff. Whatever happens I am sure that the U.S will absolutely not compromise on their consular protocols even if it causes significant inconvenience to tourists. I can not fault them in that regard, that's exactly as it should be!

Which mode of operation is most effective depends upon the needs of the country but it seems as though the Russian model, after some years of inefficiency, is now working reasonably well. The U.S system has always been very inconvenient for those seeking a visa to that country. So, on the whole, status quo applies.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Does anyone know Russians affected by this stunt ?  I do ..  Good friends of ours have paid to go to the USA and applied for their Visas before this nonsense.

He's been before - his partner, not ....  They received correspondence that due to enforced staff shortages - their applications cannot be processed and therefore cannot be processed.

They have to pay 100 Euros each to change their tickets with Turkish Airlines and now plan to go to ...... Montenegro !!! 
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
A year ago, obtaining a U.S. tourist visa could take less than a week. Now, it comes with an eight-month delay.

“Putin doesn’t suffer, Trump doesn’t suffer, but people like me suffer,”

“If you get beaten up enough,” he said, “you will begin to defend yourself, and it doesn’t matter who started it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/frustrated-at-visa-holdup-russians-turn-their-backs-on-america/2018/04/22/067f8bc2-4633-11e8-8082-105a446d19b8_story.html

Yep.  It's always the "little man" that suffers.   :duh:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Registration