The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How to say in Ukrainian...  (Read 12778 times)

Offline Fashionista

Re: How to say in Ukrainian...
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

I am not going even to check this source.
What Abraham Lincoln could say about Internet, if he was born in 1809???

Good catch  :)

It was in jest.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »

I think we’re talking about etymology here, I read the Ukraine stems from U krai - something like ‘at the edge’ so at the border, borderlands is reasonable.

Seems you are right:
Согласно основной версии, распространённой в академической среде (в том числе и самой Украины), название «Украина» происходит от древнерусского слова «оукраина» — приграничная область, земля у края княжества (тогда как слово «окраина» имело значение территории по краям всего княжества)[1]). Слово «украина» изначально применялось к разным приграничным землям Киевской Руси и русских княжеств. В этом значении этимология слова Украина рассматривается у российских[2], а также у наиболее влиятельных украинских и западных учёных, таких как Орест Субтельный[3], Пол Магочий[4], Омельян Прицак[5], Михаил Грушевский[6], Иван Огиенко[7], Пётр Толочко[8] и других. Её указывают как основную Энциклопедия украиноведения[9] и Этимологический словарь украинского языка[10].

[from https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Украина_(топоним) ]
as sources, among others are listed:
↑ Этимологический словарь Фасмера
↑ Orest Subtelny. Ukraine: A History. University of Toronto Press, 1988
↑ A History of Ukraine. University of Toronto Press, 1996 ISBN 0-8020-0830-5
↑ From Kievan Rus' to modern Ukraine: Formation of the Ukrainian nation (with Mykhailo Hrushevski and John Stephen Reshetar). Cambridge, Mass.: Ukrainian Studies Fund, Harvard University, 1984.
↑ Грушевський М. Історія України-Руси. Том II. Розділ V. Стор. 4
↑ Історія української літературної мови. Київ — 2001 (Перше видання Вінніпег — 1949)
↑ Толочко П. П. «От Руси к Украине» («Від Русі до України». 1997
↑ Енциклопедія українознавства. У 10-х томах. / Головний редактор Володимир Кубійович. — Париж; Нью-Йорк: Молоде життя, 1954—1989.
↑ Етимологічний словник української мови: У 7 т. / Редкол. О. С. Мельничук (голов. ред.) та ін. — К.: Наук. думка, 1983 — Т. 6: У — Я / Уклад.: Г. П. Півторак та ін. — 2012. — 568 с. ISBN 978-966-00-0197-8.

But i don't think one needs to be a linguist or native speaker to hear how similarly sound "окраина" и Украина"..

[from https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Украина_(топоним) ]

I would not put that much trust in Wiki as a credible source of scientific knowledge. In the area that I studied in depth a good part of what you can find in the wiki is incomplete, questionable or pure garbage. As Abraham Lincoln once said [1], don't trust every statement posted on internet even if it is supplied with a reference source. It's good for forum chats though.

[1] Basler, Roy Prentice, ed. (1946). Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings. World Publishing. OCLC 518824

In the area that I study in depth, I write paper after paper.
Yes Wiki is not credible source of scientific knowledge. Literally, I will not get a credit if Wiki in on reference list.
But, very often I use Wiki to find credible source. It means I use reference list from Wiki to find scientific information.
It is exactly what Volshe did.
Yes, she found a scientific explanation, and referred to a long list of credible sources.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
There are a number of cities called Derby, each pronounced in a very different way.

Here are some Wiki links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby,_Connecticut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby,_Kansas

Without doubt each native says there hometown in a different way. Sort of like the Russian language. I know this because I have been to all three.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »

It was in jest.

That's what I thought.  :ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:
But you sounded so serious!!!!
OK. You won!!!!   :laugh:

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »

It was in jest.

One can never be too sure though. Photographic evidence follows

https://historytech.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lincoln-and-cell-phone1.jpg

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »

It was in jest.

One can never be too sure though. Photographic evidence follows

https://historytech.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lincoln-and-cell-phone1.jpg

:ROFL:  :ROFL:  :ROFL:

Thank you!
What a wonderful morning!

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Fashionista is a Fascinating read! Welcome.  :bow:

Welcome back, Fashionista!
How's your son? Is he dancing?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
Hello. I hope I can find here Ukrainian people.

Most of us on RUA are people, some are even human though I have doubts about a few. It would be great if you engaged, there is no opinion to crazy.

We discuss A. Lincoln cell phone, and elsewhere the wives of the Prophet M and girl friends of the president JFK. But mostly issues related to Russia and Ukraine.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »

I would want to know, how to write in ua, expression Have fun/ enjoy

I don't trust translators online, each one saying different thing, and I just can't get it wrong.

Back to the original post.

In Ukrainian.

Have fun - розважайся   (really it's nearer  - have a good time as there is no direct translation)

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

tiphat
Слава Україні

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
There are a number of cities called Derby, each pronounced in a very different way.

Here are some Wiki links

Without doubt each native says there hometown in a different way. Sort of like the Russian language. I know this because I have been to all three.

And oddly, I was born on Derby Street, Bolton in the UK and we always said it the US way, for the city as well (or town as it was then), and football team, who again oddly played at The Baseball Ground.

Next town to Bolton is Bury, normally pronounced as Berry but we say it as Burry.

Cholmondley is pronounced Chumley and Featherstonehaugh is Fanshaw.

Don’t try places such as St. John’s Town Of Dalry or Haugh of Urr.

We also have Ae in Scotland and Llanfairpwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwllllan­tysilio­gogo­goch in Wales.

. Pro
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »

I don't trust translators online, each one saying different thing, and I just can't get it wrong.

In Ukrainian.

Have fun - розважайся   (really it's nearer  - have a good time as there is no direct translation)

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

tiphat

As Volshe says:  are you trying to pour on our parade, aren't you?!

Offline Chris

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 10:01:59 AM »

Here are some Wiki links

And oddly, I was born on Derby Street, Bolton in the UK and we always said it the US way, for the city as well (or town as it was then), and football team, who again oddly played at The Baseball Ground.

Next town to Bolton is Bury, normally pronounced as Berry but we say it as Burry.

Cholmondley is pronounced Chumley and Featherstonehaugh is Fanshaw.

Don’t try places such as St. John’s Town Of Dalry or Haugh of Urr.

We also have Ae in Scotland and Llanfairpwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwllllan­tysilio­gogo­goch in Wales.

Ha!  I am less than 30 minutes from there at the moment. In fact a couple of hours ago I was parked outside the station and took a picture, but for some reason I can't upload it with my internet connection at the hotel we are staying at.

Touring round North Wales at the moment with the in laws from Ukaine  :)

PS just looking for a really nice restaurant for tonight.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »

In Ukrainian.

Have fun - розважайся   (really it's nearer  - have a good time as there is no direct translation)

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

tiphat

Sorry Orchid didn,t want to spoil your fun  :laugh:  back to normal programming now  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »

But i don't think one needs to be a linguist or native speaker to hear how similarly sound "окраина" и Украина"..

Not that much, first off the stress in Украина is on Украи'на, while in окраина is on окра'ина. By the same token  one can argue that топо'р (axe) sounds very similarly to то'поль (poplar). Very little difference in spelling and stresses are only one syllable off  :).

Stresses are important for sounding "similarly". I know when I am wrong with where I put the stress in English words the locals don't understand me. At all. Just give me a blank stare.

Secondly, in modern Russian окраина doesn't mean borderlands, it means outskirts. As in окраина города, окраина леса.

Guys, really. That's why internet is so fascinating. :)

Yes, indeed.  ;D You won't find in academic linguistics people claiming anything only because they are presumably native speakers. At least not in Russia, as they take their language quite seriously. But, internet is full of quasi-linguists, and that, among else, makes it such a fun place to be.

I am not sure when you studied, what or where. But, while wiki is not listed as source, the references listed in wiki are, worldwide. It suffices to check the 1st source listed under the Ukraine, so not to come across as...   :dh:

Этимологический онлайн-словарь русского языка Макса Фасмера:
(За основу были взяты четыре издания «Этимологического словаря русского языка» М. Фасмера.)

Украина
Украи́на — до 1918 г. так называлась только вост. часть страны, без Галиции; укр. Украḯна, др.-русск. окраина «пограничная местность», напр. Украина Галичьская (Ипатьевск. летоп. под 1189 г.) — название области Волынского княжества, пограничной с Польшей (см. Первольф, AfslPh 7, 600), Украина — название ю.-зап. окраины Московского государства (Разорение Моск. государства 24, Курбский; см. Соболевский, Serta Borysth. 15); Котошихин 64, 151, Псковск. I летоп. под 1481 г. (украина за Окою), Украина «пограничные земли Пскова», Сказ. Мам. поб. 4 (Шамбинаго ПМ 96), Псковск. 2 летоп. 7. Совр. диал. Укра́йна Терская — название южн. побережья кольск. полуострова, арханг. (Подв.), там же — укра́й «с краю, на берегу», укра́йной «крайний». См. край. Отсюда производные украи́нец, украи́нский, укр. украḯнець, украḯнський, первонач. только о жителях вост. Украины, затем распространено на всю территорию, называвшуюся прежде малорусской (см. Дурново — Ушаков 108 и сл.). Ср. Малоро́ссия.

tiphat

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »

He is  >:( Chris is know for that  :snivel: :snivel: :snivel:

Hadn't you interfered, Chris, we could have invented all new theories of not only etymological provenance of Ukraine, but a whole new language!!!

p.s. Kidding! Soooo glad to see you!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
Chris, one more question for you!

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

This дж in насолоджуйся, is it pronounced like a single sound?  (We have it in Serbian Cyrillic, it's Џ . But, written in Latin, as we use both, it's 

Thanks in advance!  :)
Douglas Adams

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »

Yes, indeed.  ;D You won't find in academic linguistics people claiming anything only because they are presumably native speakers. At least not in Russia, as they take their language quite seriously. But, internet is full of quasi-linguists, and that, among else, makes it such a fun place to be.

not really sure what you are trying to suggest here. "presumably" native speakers? That having been born and raised in Russia in academic environment is not enough but you have to be a professional linguist to know for sure how Украина is properly pronounced in Russian? If that is so, and I sincerely hope it is not, it's beyond ridiculous. But hey, if you want to be this forum's expert on everything Russian, I don't mind at all. Have at it. Geez. Back to cooking sites it is.

I hope that answers your question, AvHdB.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

This дж in насолоджуйся, is it pronounced like a single sound?  (We have it in Serbian Cyrillic, it's Џ . But, written in Latin, as we use both, it's 

You should thank his in-laws. They know the answer.
But I am not sure that it is the proper question when they soak in a new culture, enjoy excellent views and new food.
The proper question would be "How's local drink compare to горилка?"
And I know the answer: "Горилка is better."
It is because the whole nation has brought this drink to the state of art.  :)

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »

not really sure what you are trying to suggest here. "presumably" native speakers? That having been born and raised in Russia in academic environment is not enough but you have to be a professional linguist to know for sure how Украина is properly pronounced in Russian? If that is so, and I sincerely hope it is not, it's beyond ridiculous. But hey, if you want to be this forum's expert on everything Russian, I don't mind at all. Have at it. Geez. Back to cooking sites it is.

I say presumably, because i don't know. People can claim all sorts of things.

"...been born and raised in Russia in academic environment is not enough"
Well. If one doesn't distinguish "etymology" from  "pronunciation"...  They might be indeed feeling more at home at cooking sites, given that their expertise in cooking exceeds that in linguistics. :biggrin:
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

Enjoy - насолоджуйся

You should thank his in-laws. They know the answer.
But I am not sure that it is the proper question when they soak in a new culture, enjoy excellent views and new food.
The proper question would be "How's local drink compare to горилка?"
And I know the answer: "Горилка is better."
It is because the whole nation has brought this drink to the state of art.  :)

Orchid... I am anyway nostalgic by default, but your posts make me feel homesick for places to which i've never been and they make me crave things i've never tasted... If in some alternative universe, i'd be an  Eskimo and you'd be selling refrigerators - i'd buy them all from you ;D ;D ;D

I had to google Горі́лка ,  as i was only 4y old when we left Ukraine:

(іноді в народі вживається слово горівка), або оковита (лат. aqua vita — вода життя, жива вода)— міцний алкогольний напій з очищенного спирту.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Горі́лка

Now i am dying to taste it. Seriously.  :snivel:
Douglas Adams

Offline Fashionista

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
They might be indeed feeling more at home at cooking sites, given that their expertise in cooking exceeds that in linguistics. :biggrin:

As opposed to dating sites which provide a great platform for the battles of linguists.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

I say presumably, because i don't know. People can claim all sorts of things.

"...been born and raised in Russia in academic environment is not enough"
Well. If one doesn't distinguish "etymology" from  "pronunciation"...  They might be indeed feeling more at home at cooking sites, given that their expertise in cooking exceeds that in linguistics. :biggrin:

And I hope your Russian is better than your English.  :'(

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »
They might be indeed feeling more at home at cooking sites, given that their expertise in cooking exceeds that in linguistics. :biggrin:

As opposed to dating sites which provide a great platform for the battles of linguists.

And RUA would be a dating site?  :ROFL:
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »

At times I think the name of RUA should perhaps change > Slavic dating 101 or (dating) Russian women for the challenged.

Some might be happy to get at least a date.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

At times I think the name of RUA should perhaps change > Slavic dating 101 or (dating) Russian women for the challenged.

Some might be happy to get at least a date.

Avvy, dearest, you don't see many Russians (and Slavic women in general) dating challenged people... We usually pick crème de la crème for ourselves  :KISSSS:
Douglas Adams