The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia is giving away free land.  (Read 18834 times)

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russia is giving away free land.
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »
^
I don't know the exact locations of the land on offer, but, you should reckon that it will not be too near any large towns/cities.

Although though they have stated that they will put in electric, it may be a fair distance from the nearest sub-station, and may also be subject to larger than normal voltage fluctuations, and possible regular cuts/wire breakages.

You will most certainly need to build a canal and sewage/cess pit system, there may almost certainly not be any water supply to the place, so a well will be needed, and the chances of a gas pipeline to the property will be small..

Then you will need to build yourself (or pay someone else) a warm home on the property and work the land in some way or another..

There is also talk of other land in Siberia being made available..

HTH

Gipsy,

I wasn't being serious. However if I was I wouldn't be worried about electrical fluctuations or gas pipeline. Small generator and a small gas tank somewhere on the land would be just fine.  Nice Aga and log fires around the house too.

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2016, 06:32:40 AM »
^
I don't know the exact locations of the land on offer, but, you should reckon that it will not be too near any large towns/cities.

Although though they have stated that they will put in electric, it may be a fair distance from the nearest sub-station, and may also be subject to larger than normal voltage fluctuations, and possible regular cuts/wire breakages.

You will most certainly need to build a canal and sewage/cess pit system, there may almost certainly not be any water supply to the place, so a well will be needed, and the chances of a gas pipeline to the property will be small..

Then you will need to build yourself (or pay someone else) a warm home on the property and work the land in some way or another..

HTH

Gipsy,

I wasn't being serious. However if I was I wouldn't be worried about electrical fluctuations or gas pipeline. Small generator and a small gas tank somewhere on the land would be just fine.  Nice Aga and log fires around the house too.

I know you were not being serious..

btw, you would also need a chain saw and an axe..   :ROFL:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  TIMBER..    :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »
^

HTH

Gipsy,

Incase of crazy Evgeni's and Ivan's?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »
^

HTH

Gipsy,

Incase of crazy Evgeni's and Ivan's?

Nah, for them you need a pump action shotgun....   :bow:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2016, 01:06:10 PM »
After reading this, I think the winters might be just a bit too cold for my liking.

Russia gives away first free land in Far East

https://www.rt.com/business/345022-russia-far-east-free-land/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2016, 03:12:17 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline SuperPanda

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Free land program gathers pace in Russia's Far East

http://rbth.com/business/2016/09/09/free-land-program-gathers-pace-in-russias-far-east_628575
I was literally just reading this before seeing your post, this seems like such a great idea to entice investment into what appears to be an under utilised part of Russia.

I do wonder if foreigners can apply, I know there are reports that you won't own the land but you can work it and I wouldn't mind that personally if it suitable for agricultural use.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
95,000 Russians Have Already Applied for Free Land in Far East Under Russia's Homesteading Act

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/95000-russians-have-already-applied-free-land-far-east-under-russias-homesteading-act

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »
95,000 Russians Have Already Applied for Free Land in Far East Under Russia's Homesteading Act

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/95000-russians-have-already-applied-free-land-far-east-under-russias-homesteading-act

BUT, according to the OP, they expected 30 million ... I would think the first 95,000 might get all the good plots.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:34 AM »

BUT, according to the OP, they expected 30 million ... I would think the first 95,000 might get all the good plots.

Which 'OP' do you mean?

Think for a second. What is the population of Russia? Do you REALLY think that 30% of the population (men, women, children, pensioners, sick and infirm) are going to up sticks within a year to go live in Siberia?

The ACTUAL, non imagined, not fantasy, goal is that by 2035 the population of the region will have doubled to  11.2 million from today's 6.2 million. Most of the earliest applications come from people who already live and farm the region. Next will come those who want to build summer homes in the area and then will come 'the rest'.

1 hectare is not a lot of land, not enough for a farm. It will add on to existing developments or become the seed of a larger development. However there's no fear that 'all the good plots will be taken'. Russia, Siberia, is not a small area like the United States and it took quite a time to 'fill up' the Wild West with settlers, yes?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!