The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: North Korea.  (Read 41210 times)

Offline Guile

Re: North Korea.
« Reply #475 on: November 19, 2020, 11:30:38 PM »
Good video Texan, I watched most of it.  Good way to learn Russian and Chinese! although their accents are quite harsh.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #476 on: November 24, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »
Manny I though you might enjoy this video on North Korea, Russia and China about fishing in the area. 

Very interesting, Tex. Thanks.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #477 on: December 05, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
There has been some stuff in the news recently about very high suicide rates in South Korea.

On social media, accounts from the North (or their supporters), have been posting stuff like this.

I suppose it does raise the question, is life in North Korea as bad as the western media tells us? And more to the point, South Korea, which IIRC is the 14th richest country in the world, what there is so bad that so many people want to commit suicide?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #478 on: December 05, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
There has been some stuff in the news recently about very high suicide rates in South Korea.

On social media, accounts from the North (or their supporters), have been posting stuff like this.

(Attachment Link)

I suppose it does raise the question, is life in North Korea as bad as the western media tells us? And more to the point, South Korea, which IIRC is the 14th richest country in the world, what there is so bad that so many people want to commit suicide?

Probably a very high cost for housing in relation to income.

Capitalism does have some drawbacks.

Online Texan77

« Reply #479 on: December 11, 2020, 10:43:30 PM »

The highest income earners in the USA such as dentist, investment bankers, lawyers and doctors have a high suicide rate. It is the pressure and stress of success. Probably the highest suicide rate is Japan.

Is Kin Jon Un dead? This question never goes away. This woman say he had been slowly poison. That is why we saw less of him over the last year. Until North Korea selects a new leader they have a double that does not meet anybody just shows up at events to make everything look good. She claims China killed him. She claims North Korea will not meet any world leader until a new leader has been selected.  Until then all we will see is Kim Jon Un cut ribbons, wave and show up for big events where he does not do or say much. 

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »
He just recently did a long address to the people, I think they'd have noticed a fake Kim.

The video wasn't made a day later, it was live in front of thousands. The potbelly she refers to his father and grandfather had.

That is South Korean (US) propaganda. Going back through her videos, she claims the US is about to attack NK and Trump will win the election. Her claims tend not to age well.

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #481 on: December 15, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »

Is Kin Jon Un dead? This question never goes away.
He just recently did a long address to the people, I think they'd have noticed a fake Kim. 
No one dare talk The guy in the video [crying?] looks like a double to me. Esp after seeing earlier videos. Also...the wife seems to be missing---

Voice of North Korea by Yeonmi Park--------RNK lady who defected to the south. 
Thank you for helping me to shine a light on the darkest place in the world!
So grateful for your subscription to my channel.

Offline Manny

Offline tfcrew

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #483 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
As a side ...I have been watching this movie [made in South Korea with subtitles] I am totally...completely impressed with the entire production.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_of_the_Sword

Offline Manny

« Reply #484 on: December 17, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
If you like Korean films, especially with North Korea as a subject, look up Crash Landing on You, it's on Netflix. It's a great watch.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2020, 10:17:27 PM »
Yeonmi Park

A US asset.

The Strange Tale of Yeonmi Park
A high-profile North Korean defector has harrowing stories to tell. But are they true?

Clearly not very convincing narrative and Definitely a US propaganda Asset!

The comments below are from the article of the link you gave above:

"Yeonmi Park is backed by the American Libertarian non-profit organization, Atlas Foundation. She’s one of its Young Voices and has recently started her own foundation based in New York – you can donate online through PayPal, but what exactly your money will be used for is not clear. What is clear though, is that “Yeonmi is travelling and speaking in 2014” and “is available for international speeches.”

“I want the world to know my story so they will know and remember the story of North Korea” the foundation’s website reads.

But can the world rely on the memory of a 21 year old who left North Korea when she was thirteen? And what are the consequences if her memory has failed her and the picture she’s presenting of her life in North Korea and her escape to South Korea is not accurate?"

:reading:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2021, 02:23:41 AM »

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #487 on: January 04, 2022, 03:16:28 AM »
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1826007172/noord-koreaanse-overloper-kon-met-zijn-baan-als-schoonmaker-nauwelijks-de-kost-verdienen

Looks like someone from North Korea defected to the south and after a year went back because he could not earn enough to buy food with his job as a cleaner.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #488 on: January 04, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »
The article notes 30 people have been recorded as returning under their own steam in the past ten years. I bet Yeonmi Park won't be making a video on that:prophead:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2022, 10:32:06 AM »
The article notes 30 people have been recorded as returning under their own steam in the past ten years. I bet Yeonmi Park won't be making a video on that:prophead:

I liked the part about how he crossed the border twice and nobody saw him do it
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #490 on: January 04, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
If you look at the DMZ, where the blue houses are, I don't think it'd be so hard.

Certainly not if you're a border guard. Or are repairing the blue houses or can otherwise access the inside of them or the area. Or have another valid reason to be there.

There's no fence there. Even if you make a run for it from the bottom of the steps, it's only maybe 50 yards. Those guards aren't exactly on high alert. They are mostly smoking and chatting.

This is looking from the South side.

The way the land is laid out near the border is probably quite accessible as it's farmland on both sides of the road with lots of tree cover on the approach road.

The border elsewhere is heavily guarded with cameras and watchtowers. Probably better to do it in plain sight.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #491 on: January 04, 2022, 12:04:12 PM »
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online Texan77

« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2024, 07:58:19 AM »
I just thought I would make a note here. The big winner in war in Ukraine is North Korea. The selling weapons to Russia has been a big boost to their economy. Who would ever thought that would happen? One of the fastest growing economies in the world. 
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Registration