The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Does your FSU wife have a job?  (Read 10458 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Does your FSU wife have a job?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
Boy oh boy, the subject of housekeeping seems to be a recurring theme within the FSU-partner discussion circles; I didn't realize how important it must be to many FSU women.

Once the maid's mother was sick (or some such thing) and we had to clean the house ourselves... quite enjoyable really (we threw a 'cleaning party' - ordered some pizza, made a day of it). I suppose it would be right to assume that when I get married, my FSU wife'll want to get rid of the help and do the keeping herself to ensure it's done properly(?). Seems goofy to me, but to each his / her own I guess. I think Jennifer does exceptional work, but then again, I'm not familiar with FSUW standards.

If you had a maid you would probably get accused of having an affair with her.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 08:18:43 PM »
I don't think a "House wife" really has much work.

One's perception changes when the housework stops getting done.

Exactly. My wife spends a month in Russia each year (as many do in the school holidays) and although I do my own laundry then, clean up the mess I make and load the dishwasher each day, etc., the place starts to look a tad grubby and she has a mammoth cleaning session lasting days when she comes back.

A housewife is a lot of work if your house is nice. It's more work if she is a mother too. The work doesn't do itself. Shirts don't magically appear in the wardrobe ironed. Things dont magically clean themselves. Kids are not gleaming, scrubbed and in fresh clothes each day just by chance.

Similarly, money does not appear in your bank each month just by chance. It happens as fruits of your labour. As a nice and organised home life that one may call housewifery doesn't happen by chance. It happens because you are productive enough that she doesn't have to work at McDonalds to make your credit payments so she can take care of mundane domestic stuff while you are out slaying the dragon to put food on the table.

Careful Moby will be along shortly to lecture you on alternative meanings of slaying the dragon:chuckle:

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »
If you had a maid you would probably get accused of having an affair with her.  :coffeeread:

Ha ha ha, not with Jennifer, she's... she has a beautiful heart and soul, we'll leave it at that.

But I get your point... the suspicion thing is always at play. Where I live I think my girl will be able to let her guard down a bit.  :laugh:
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 02:27:54 AM »
Boy oh boy, the subject of housekeeping seems to be a recurring theme within the FSU-partner discussion circles; I didn't realize how important it must be to many FSU women.

Once the maid's mother was sick (or some such thing) and we had to clean the house ourselves... quite enjoyable really (we threw a 'cleaning party' - ordered some pizza, made a day of it). I suppose it would be right to assume that when I get married, my FSU wife'll want to get rid of the help and do the keeping herself to ensure it's done properly(?). Seems goofy to me, but to each his / her own I guess. I think Jennifer does exceptional work, but then again, I'm not familiar with FSUW standards.
I had a hired cleaner for about a month or 2. Real sweatheart aged 66 who wanted to amend her pension.

Wife said: She's really nice , but I'd rather clean myself than inspect her work because that inspecting makes the wife feel bad.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
I had a hired cleaner for about a month or 2. Real sweatheart aged 66 who wanted to amend her pension.

Wife said: She's really nice , but I'd rather clean myself than inspect her work because that inspecting makes the wife feel bad.

Because the cleaning was too good or because it wasn't good enough?

Up at the golf course hotel we have a constant issue of finding maids who'll clean the rooms to a satisfactory level. When I was younger the problem mystified me, but one day my mom provided a sensible explanation: a lot of these maids live in trailers / shacks and their own level of housekeeping is lower than normal, so to them, the room IS clean (when it's really not). It's not their fault, you just have to provide standards / guidelines for them to follow.   
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »

Because the cleaning was too good or because it wasn't good enough?
No, because she had to check the work.

Usually it was good, sometimes a bit lacking but easily corrected.
OO===[][]===OO

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

I see. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that... it's good to keep hired hands in check!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »

I see. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that... it's good to keep hired hands in check!

You Fascist!  :chuckle:

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
You Fascist!  :chuckle:

:laugh:

Hey, someone's gotta do it.  :)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
Its hard to explain for me in English.

The act of "Checking the maids work" was what made her feel bad. Regardless of whether it was necessary or not (usually not).

In the end, the maid quit her job because of tragedy in her own family and my wife decided we should not re-hire her or a new maid, she wants to do it all on her own.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
Its hard to explain for me in English.

The act of "Checking the maids work" was what made her feel bad. Regardless of whether it was necessary or not (usually not).

In the end, the maid quit her job because of tragedy in her own family and my wife decided we should not re-hire her or a new maid, she wants to do it all on her own.

I would never have a maid or cleaner, don't need it! Its just a status symbol nothing more...

I can clean my own shit up thanks!!   :laugh:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AJ

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 12:16:45 AM »
 Justadude- Seems your fiancee will arrive reasonably soon?, so hopefully you already know what she'd really prefer to do regarding  work/not work.

What other people have done,or wanted, probably isnt that relevant?

I will say I think her finding work in the smaller mountain town you've decided to live in would help assimilation.

I know I would love the area,but be bored out of my mind without some type of regular employment or business.

As far as my wife,she did not need to,but wanted to work when she first moved here 7 years ago.
   She's an accountant and work here was fairly easy to find, however when we had our little one, she wanted to stay home ,and  we both agreed her time was much better spent on the 24/7 job of raising our child/homemaker..  While she really enjoys  being a mother as occupation  for now ,and it's a busy job! ,she does plan to work  again ,at least part time, after any kids are in school.
Shes certainly  far far far closer to the stereotypical *soccer mom*, than the FSU stereotypes bantered about on RW forums.
You would be really hard pressed to note a difference ,to any of our local suv child taxi/pilots, other than the accent.lol

I know this part is more relevant to your trip thread,but for what it's worth, some women would really struggle in the location you've planned to live,particularly coming from a large FSU metropolitan area, or even a provincial city. Others, while likely a small  minority, would welcome and embrace it(my wife would)
The thing is you cant know really,
and honestly she cant either until actually living it?

So,as others have advised,  if you can hold onto the suburban home and try both ,I would suggest it.
The flip side is what area she prefers in the next year or two, might change  by year 3 or 4. So just assume you can be flexible on that part...

Registration