The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Value of the Ruble  (Read 26517 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: The Value of the Ruble
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
Sadly, many folks get all mixed up because they think that the only use for oil is to make their car work.
There's a fair few of those people here, posting upthread.

Pretty much anything that is made of plastic used oil in its creation.
The roads you drive on are made with oil.

In fact here's a partial list of stuff made with oil:
Clothing                    Ink                            Heart Valves           Crayons
Parachutes            Telephones           Antiseptics           Deodorant
Pantyhose            Rubbing Alcohol   Carpets                   Hearing Aids
Motorcycle helmets   Pillows                   Shoes                   Electrical tape
Safety glass           Nylon rope           Fertilizers                   Hair coloring
Toilet seats           Candles                   Credit cards           Aspirin
Golf balls                   Detergents           Sunglasses           Glue
Fishing rods           Linoleum                   Soft contact lenses   Trash bags
Hand lotion           Shampoo                   Shaving cream           Footballs
Paint brushes           Balloons                   Fan belts                   Umbrellas
Luggage                   Antifreeze                   Tires                           Dishwashing liquids
Toothbrushes           Toothpaste           Combs                   Tents
Lipstick                   Tennis rackets           House paint           Guitar strings
Ammonia                   Eyeglasses           Ice chests           Life jackets
Cameras                   Artificial turf           Artificial Limbs           Bandages
Dentures                   Ballpoint pens           Nail polish           Caulking
Skis                           Fishing lures           Perfumes                   Shoe polish
Antihistamines           Cortisone            Dyes                   Roofing

Only about 50% of oil, in the USA is used for making cars and trucks work. The rest goes for other purposes. Even if cars run on electricity then oil is used so all that happens is the direct usage shifts a little but the volume remains the same. Many transport, heating and energy usages can not be, economically, substituted.

You guys are going to be sucking at the teat of Mother Earth for a while longer.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:24 AM »
Jerash, I do not know what your goals are but, whilst there is some truth in what you suggest the following also applies:
1) For roles that require high standards of English there's plenty of Russians with a high standard of English.
2) Where foreigners are employed, and, yes they are, the formerly applicable foreigner premium is no longer paid. You will get paid, in most cases, no more (and often less) than a local candidate. Your problem is that you are not fluent in the native language and that is a huge limiting factor.

And, OMG, $5K is NOTHING!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:32 AM »
I have 2500 hryvnia left from my last trip. I think I'll put it in my shoe...Thanks SB for the tip...:-))

I was only kidding!!  :chuckle: I don't ever carry any cash or cards on me..I certainly haven't got time to keep bending over to take my shoe off in a shop.. :ROFL:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
Jerash, I do not know what your goals are but, whilst there is some truth in what you suggest the following also applies:
1) For roles that require high standards of English there's plenty of Russians with a high standard of English.
2) Where foreigners are employed, and, yes they are, the formerly applicable foreigner premium is no longer paid. You will get paid, in most cases, no more (and often less) than a local candidate. Your problem is that you are not fluent in the native language and that is a huge limiting factor.
Nonsense.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »

And, OMG, $5K is NOTHING!

That's an interesting comment Andrew.

On point one, yes there are highly qualified Russians to teach English. I am taking a certification course with them right now.

I also know that Native Speakers are exotic and interesting and offer a different style of teaching. Like a breath of fresh air. I also know that some Russians feel they are wasting their money to go to English courses if they can't have a Native Speaker.

On your second point, I just don't know where you are getting this information. All my experience so far points in the opposite direction.  A Russian teaching English does not get paid more than a Native Speaker. That's just a straight forward fact.

Finally, 5K is not nothing. Without any other form of income, it is 5-6 months of living if I'm careful. That's s lot - 5 months to allow me to land on my feet properly and get going. That's 5 months unemployed.  Yet, I can start generating income next week if I want, which stretches it even farther.

I'm not a rich old geezer looking for my gold digger. I'm a young enough man with the courage to go do something completely new, and put the energy into it to be successful. For that, 5K is plenty.

Offline Chickenbrah

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »

That's an interesting comment Andrew.

On point one, yes there are highly qualified Russians to teach English. I am taking a certification course with them right now.

I also know that Native Speakers are exotic and interesting and offer a different style of teaching. Like a breath of fresh air. I also know that some Russians feel they are wasting their money to go to English courses if they can't have a Native Speaker.

On your second point, I just don't know where you are getting this information. All my experience so far points in the opposite direction.  A Russian teaching English does not get paid more than a Native Speaker. That's just a straight forward fact.

Finally, 5K is not nothing. Without any other form of income, it is 5-6 months of living if I'm careful. That's s lot - 5 months to allow me to land on my feet properly and get going. That's 5 months unemployed.  Yet, I can start generating income next week if I want, which stretches it even farther.

I'm not a rich old geezer looking for my gold digger. I'm a young enough man with the courage to go do something completely new, and put the energy into it to be successful. For that, 5K is plenty.

I wouldn't go to moscow to teach English, only reason being , there are plenty of russian guys in Moscow earning what you earn as a teacher, or several times more. But you certainly have balls, and nobody can advise you on life, you are living it and know what is right for you. I was discussing relocation with somebody, maybe living abroad permenantly, but what the other person told me, i tend to agree with, raising kids in russia is tough, you will need to ensure they have funds to study in the west, can get into a career abroad if they choose to go to the west.Buy them a house, as property prices are just going to get worse. You will need a good investment portfolio for when you choose to retire, as medical treatment in your old age may not be around in russia, and neither will there be support for you as a foreigner. Pretty tough, but doable.

Regarding qualifications etc, it is not really what you know, but your background. You are a native westerner and will be regarded more qualified than a Russian who probably can teach better than you, but in other people's eyes, seen not as qualified as you.

Wish you all prosperity for your massive life changing experience.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
Thank you Chickenbrah for your kind wishes. On Moscow, I don't think there are plenty of native speakers here anymore. Yes, they are here for sure. But my senses so far tell me that they are not in plentiful supply. I see an opportunity, but I'll have to hustle for it.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:20 AM »
Thank you Chickenbrah for your kind wishes. On Moscow, I don't think there are plenty of native speakers here anymore. Yes, they are here for sure. But my senses so far tell me that they are not in plentiful supply. I see an opportunity, but I'll have to hustle for it.

I don't know what the rate is for teaching English in Moscow but for example in that expat forum there is always people looking to pay about 2000Roubles per hour, I don't think thats bad..

You can always go pimping  :laugh:  I think thats a good rate about $200 an hour I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy Russian women in Moscow willing to pay :)

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
Jerash, I was not referring to teaching English when referring to pay differentials but 'proper' career stuff.

Teaching English is its own little 'thing' as you will discover.

Remember, teaching English is what every broke, itinerant, English speaker does. Every Russian who wants to learn English knows this, as does every language 'school'. That will create some interesting challenges for you, if you want to make your life in that niche.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 02:34:43 AM »
Jerash, I was not referring to teaching English when referring to pay differentials but 'proper' career stuff.

Teaching English is its own little 'thing' as you will discover.

Remember, teaching English is what every broke, itinerant, English speaker does. Every Russian who wants to learn English knows this, as does every language 'school'. That will create some interesting challenges for you, if you want to make your life in that niche.
полный бред

Really, some of the things I have read on this forum and in this thread in particular are hilarious. Andrew, you simply don't know what you're talking about. Yes, guys like that exist, but it ends there.

Jerash, when we meet next week, i'll give you some of the low-down on the reality of the situation. Whilst I'm sure Andrew has it all figured out (:), listen to me when we talk.

I've been reading this nonsense from him for years.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
On my first ever day in Chel. I was offered $8/hr or so (was a while back) to teach English at the local school, of course I wasn't interested. They wanted someone with native British English, all the kids seemed to speak what English they knew with a US drawl, perhaps Texan77 has been to the Chelyabinsk?

All the books were in British English, 'Ship or Sheep', 'Live or Leave'........

I did help out though, for free, the young kids hard work (not interested, parents forcing them to attend, spent almost all the time dicking about until receiving a UK-style full-on bollocking). Adults no problem, liked to learn slang and idioms.

Actually enjoyed it now thinking back, there's more to it though than just be able to speak English....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
Danchik, what specifically would you disagree with?
Remember, just the other day, you shared a potted, and buffed up, history of your time in Russia. I didn't see anything there which would counter that which I wrote.

As always, I am keen to learn from an expert and note, as a compliment, how your written English has improved considerably since you started teaching.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 04:55:51 AM »
 I've been asked to teach English because I speak it with the perfect Upper Midwest American accent. The kind national newscasters are supposed to speak. I figure because of this I can charge between $100 and $200 an hour. And somebody told me it is a good way to meet college age girls   :knit: :party0011: :knit: :party0011: :knit:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
I wish you luck in getting that kind of money!

Offline Maxx

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 07:03:12 AM »
I wish you luck in getting that kind of money!

Yes, I know I would need it unless I get a manager.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 07:04:35 AM »
I've been asked to teach English because I speak it with the perfect Upper Midwest American accent. The kind national newscasters are supposed to speak. I figure because of this I can charge between $100 and $200 an hour. And somebody told me it is a good way to meet college age girls   :knit: :party0011: :knit: :party0011: :knit:

Maxx, Let me manage you and I am certain we will make $300 an hour, I only want 10% in pay and 50% of the college girls.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Maxx

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:51 AM »

Maxx, Let me manage you and I am certain we will make $300 an hour, I only want 10% in pay and 50% of the college girls.

It's a deal  :thumbsup: 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
What do you imagine to be the requirements placed upon you in order for you to be worth, in local terms, huge sums of money?

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 07:30:15 AM »
Don't you think you are over pricing by about a factor of 100?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
..and a grandad chasing after college girls.

This is some kind of fantasy, I think.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
Btw, what happened after the other day when you were unwell? Did you get to a clinic and get seen?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »
..and a grandad chasing after college girls.

This is some kind of fantasy, I think.

Wow you are smarter than a turtle in hibernation.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
Think you are all forgetting Online Forum rule 1.

1. Never tell the truth on forums.....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »

:)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »

The truth is I do not give a flying fig.

Registration