The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....  (Read 32090 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Re: Trepidatiously Moscow Bound....
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »
Have sent him an e-mail, will get back to you as soon as I get a reply...
No telling how long it will take though...

OK, noted, but I thank you for trying!

this is the Russian office of the company, you could call them and ask if they can help you with your problem...

http://rusvisa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=24&Itemid=38

Thanks for the contact, Gipsy. I've been in touch with Vladim and it he's looked into it and sounds like he's got a plan for me involving Kiev.

Turns out Vladim is the same agent that the school was going to arrange my telex business visa invitation through, so he was already a bit familiar with my case! Small world!

I was a bit skeptical and did some web research. I can find nothing but positive reviews of Vladim and his services :)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Have sent him an e-mail, will get back to you as soon as I get a reply...
No telling how long it will take though...

OK, noted, but I thank you for trying!

this is the Russian office of the company, you could call them and ask if they can help you with your problem...

http://rusvisa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=24&Itemid=38

Thanks for the contact, Gipsy. I've been in touch with Vladim and it he's looked into it and sounds like he's got a plan for me involving Kiev.

Turns out Vladim is the same agent that the school was going to arrange my telex business visa invitation through, so he was already a bit familiar with my case! Small world!

I was a bit skeptical and did some web research. I can find nothing but positive reviews of Vladim and his services :)

Glad to have been of some help.
Good luck.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Jerash

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
A have a new angle now because of my visa problems. Hopefully, the visa issues will be resolved, but I have a new question that I'm wondering if you guys can weigh in on. I'm going to pick up my visa in Kiev and then planning to take the train up to Moscow from there. Is it still advisable to carry about 5K with me?  I'm wondering because now it's Ukraine and land borders. Grateful for any thoughts on this.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2017, 10:59:15 PM »
A have a new angle now because of my visa problems. Hopefully, the visa issues will be resolved, but I have a new question that I'm wondering if you guys can weigh in on. I'm going to pick up my visa in Kiev and then planning to take the train up to Moscow from there. Is it still advisable to carry about 5K with me?  I'm wondering because now it's Ukraine and land borders. Grateful for any thoughts on this.

Never having done the route I cannot really say, however, I think that you should be okay, not all people who travel by trains are robbers...
Having said that, I wouldn't travel by train with so much cash with me, though have known wifey to go on the train with much more than $5k in her handbag...
Flying from Kiev to Moscow wold have been much easier before the problems erupted, these days however its a real ballsache transiting via Minsk...
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 03:54:17 AM »

Jerash,

I have taken that trip many times and you should be fine. I must admit, I haven't taken the trip for a few years, but as a Canadian, I can't imagine any problems if your paperwork is in order.

If you're worried about the money just travel "coupe" (not плацкарт) and believe me, most of the people travelling in that class will be more afraid/suspicious of you than you of them. :)

Coupe will have 4 bunk beds and you'll see mostly families, business people, or middle class Russians travelling in that class. If you're lucky, you'll get a cabin with 3 devs who speak English (has happened to me before). The worst that can happened is that you get a Russian guy who snores like a bear. :P

Normally what I do is put the money in a small carry on or bag and sleep with/next to it just to be sure/safe. When you settle into the cabin, you'll understand what to do.

I'm optimistic about this year in Russia and expect a good year here. As you know from our private conversations in the past, I rarely if ever meet with people from this or any forum. But, since youre actually moving here, if you want, give me a shout out and we can meet for coffee and I'll break down some things for you to help with your transition. Good luck.

Here's a little history lesson to warm you up before you get here.

https://www.facebook.com/istoriyatv/videos/675026099343023/
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »

Jerash,

I have taken that trip many times and you should be fine. I must admit, I haven't taken the trip for a few years, but as a Canadian, I can't imagine any problems if your paperwork is in order.

If you're worried about the money just travel "coupe" (not плацкарт) and believe me, most of the people travelling in that class will be more afraid/suspicious of you than you of them. :)

Coupe will have 4 bunk beds and you'll see mostly families, business people, or middle class Russians travelling in that class. If you're lucky, you'll get a cabin with 3 devs who speak English (has happened to me before). The worst that can happened is that you get a Russian guy who snores like a bear. :P

Normally what I do is put the money in a small carry on or bag and sleep with/next to it just to be sure/safe. When you settle into the cabin, you'll understand what to do.

I'm optimistic about this year in Russia and expect a good year here. As you know from our private conversations in the past, I rarely if ever meet with people from this or any forum. But, since youre actually moving here, if you want, give me a shout out and we can meet for coffee and I'll break down some things for you to help with your transition. Good luck.

Here's a little history lesson to warm you up before you get here.

https://www.facebook.com/istoriyatv/videos/675026099343023/

Thanks for the reassurance regarding the train.  I'm hoping I'll get three devs rather than the snoring bear in my cabin :chuckle:  If all goes well, I'll be on my way up to Moscow on February 7th.

Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way to buy my train ticket?

Thanks for the kind offer, Danchik - I'll see you soon in Moscow then :)

Will check out the clip too once I get to a proper wifi connection.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 02:47:50 AM »
Does anyone have any advice on the easiest way to buy my train ticket?

https://www.russianrailways.com

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
Danchik

I reckon the actual Russian railways site is FAR better and it is cheaper

http://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en

Why ?

In my experience it often offers more choice than your route

e.g Say you want to buy a one way from Kiev ( Kiev as Russians write it ) to Moscow with 'your' site - you aren't offer first class accommodation on the 7.33 pm departure on 16th Feb 2017

Booking an e-ticket - direct - you are ....

I regularly book  long distance trains using this site, now

PLUS .. It's far cheaper -- same train ..same dates, times

3rd class 3000 v 4390 Rub

2nd class 5300 v 6700

1 st cl 11,817 v no option for 1st class sleeping..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Jerash

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »
Is 1st Class the sleeper class or are sleepers offered in 2nd Class as well?

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
Is 1st Class the sleeper class or are sleepers offered in 2nd Class as well?

Every class is sleeper class in Russia!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Danchik

Why ?

e.g Say you want to buy a one way from Kiev ( Kiev as Russians write it ) to Moscow with 'your' site - you aren't offer first class accommodation on the 7.33 pm departure on 16th Feb 2017

2nd class 5300 v 6700

I just google and posted a site and imagine Jerash could just google a site sa well. It's not MY site. I expected a douche like you to come back with something. I tried the site you posted and got nothing BTW, becauseyou have to register. Im' sure it works, so spare me your usual I now Russia better than you do paradigm

Yeah, I guess saving $20 is FAR better. I usually buy a ticket at the station, it's relatively easy when you speak Russian. You know like you do (:).

Offline Jerash

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Danchik

Why ?

2nd class 5300 v 6700

I just google and posted a site and imagine Jerash could just google a site sa well. It's not MY site. I expected a douche like you to come back with something. I tried the site you posted and got nothing BTW, becauseyou have to register. Im' sure it works, so spare me your usual I now Russia better than you do paradigm

Yeah, I guess saving $20 is FAR better. I usually buy a ticket at the station, it's relatively easy when you speak Russian. You know like you do (:).

I had googled this question too and recognize both sites that have been posted here.  Not knowing what sites are reliable though and how well I could expect to get on at the train station buying there, I figured I'd ask.  I may just go to the station in Kiev and get the ticket there.  Not sure how well that will go - I don't know any Ukrainian, Russian tolko choot-choot, speak some Polish.  Could I hope for any English at the station?  I could also write things out in Russki before I go, it'll all work out - hopefully I'll end up with something for the right train on the right day!  :chuckle:

SOMEHOW, I managed to do it many years ago.  By the way, do they still have the Foreigners' Kasa in Russian train stations?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:56 AM »

Every class is sleeper class in Russia!

Hi Ste,

The latest 1st class double decker sleepers actually allow you to sleep - they are GREAT  ! I don't know if they operate on the Kiev-Moscow route yet..My info is just Moscow - Piter / Samara / Kazan and  Sochi ( Adler)

It's often cheaper to fly from Kiev to Moscow via an Eastern European city -such as Riga. Skyscanner / Kayak for 16th Feb are about the same price as Danchiks recommendation -2nd class

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »
Quote from: Danchik link=topic=2607[qu7.msg457328#msg457328 date=1485469130
]I just google and posted a site and imagine Jerash could just google a site sa well. It's not MY site. I expected a douche like you to come back with something. I tried the site you posted and got nothing BTW, becauseyou have to register. Im' sure it works, so spare me your usual I now Russia better than you do paradigm

Danchik

I didn't NEED to google - as I really HAVE used the site to book tickets... 

Would you rather members paid more via a third party - taking commission - or book direct ?

OF COURSE you need to register... Travelling on such trains - one is required to give your name, passport details, etc.

I am sure you speak Russian far better than me... or Jerash ... 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »

SOMEHOW, I managed to do it many years ago.  By the way, do they still have the Foreigners' Kasa in Russian train stations?

Travelling by such trains - you'll either love it or hate it ..  If you want a quiet / 'boring' life - fly via Riga on S7 !!

Booking online via the official Russian railways site ( Eng Version ) is easy - just time consuming to register .. But much of the info you give will be checked against your passport by the Russians and printed on your ticket.//So after the first time... booking is easy.

I even checked if you can book from Ukraine online.. you can ..

http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

Strangely, the prices are higher than booking via 'my' site for the same teain / dates

http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 04:31:50 AM »
]I just google and posted a site and imagine Jerash could just google a site sa well. It's not MY site. I expected a douche like you to come back with something. I tried the site you posted and got nothing BTW, becauseyou have to register. Im' sure it works, so spare me your usual I now Russia better than you do paradigm

Danchik

Would you rather members paid more via a third party - taking commission - or book direct ?

OF COURSE you need to register... Travelling on such trains - one is required to give your name, passport details, etc.

When the Trains from/to Crimea / Kiev were still going, you needed to book at least 1 day in advance. But that was also because they were sold out, every one of them.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Jerash

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »

Danchik

When the Trains from/to Crimea / Kiev were still going, you needed to book at least 1 day in advance. But that was also because they were sold out, every one of them.

I wonder if it's the same story with the Kiev Moscow route. I arrive in Kiev on the 3rd and won't be able to travel onward at least until the 6th.

By then I'm going to be so sick of airplanes and airports. Having a good sleep in the train sounds really appealing at this point. :)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2017, 06:36:44 AM »

Danchik

I wonder if it's the same story with the Kiev Moscow route. I arrive in Kiev on the 3rd and won't be able to travel onward at least until the 6th.

By then I'm going to be so sick of airplanes and airports. Having a good sleep in the train sounds really appealing at this point. :)

Suggest that you get your ticket as soon as you arrive in Kiev, as its the only direct route to Moscow, feel that it may be well patronised by both countryfolk's.
Normally, 2nd class is a coupe, and I believe that on this route, they may also have male and female only carriages..
Might be wrong of course, as I have not used the route...
Listening to Dan would be your best bet.
If your stay in Kiev is in a reasonable hotel, they may be able to help you with buying your ticket, though there may well be a multi-lingual ticket counter at Kiev station.
Otherwise, if your Russian language skills are lacking somewhat, just write down exactly what you wish for translated into Russian beforehand, and hand the paper to the booking's clerk at the station..
You will need to show your passport.
HTH..

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »

Danchik

It's not the issue. Good for you.

Do you ever read someone's post and understand the message? Do you have to consistently take someone's post/point in a direction that it need not/shouldn't go (please I don't need to hear that you were trying to save him money, I get it)

Scroll up.

Really? You must be kidding me. Thanks for this info, but I'm not travelling anywhere either, and if I were, I know the procedure. Try giving people credit for understanding basic stuff. To say it another way, I wasn't going to resister just to find Jerash the best price, he's a grown man and can do that for himself.

When people are relocating, I give advice. What I don't do is hold someone's hand to the point where all they have to do is add water. If you want me to do everything for you, you're going to have trouble dealing with things when you move here. You could give me a link to what is exactly the best price, and I'm still going to go on the internet and shop it to make sure it is indeed the best price. I think this is what most people do, and lo and behold, it's what Jerash did :nod:. I was also in a big hurry at that moment and only had time to do what I did, which was only post a link.

Jerash's also needs to start to understand how to deal with things in Russia/Russian. The sooner the better. Moving to a place where you don't speak the language nor understand the culture is challenging.

Jerash has some experience in the FSU, he's not a novice. It's not difficult to go to the train station in Kiev and it maybe even be an interesting adventure for someone alone with nothing else to do for a day in a foreign city while he waits (he's there until the 7th if I'm not mistaken) and a chance to feel more comfortable dealing with people in Russian. The more Russian speaking situations you put yourself in, the quicker you'll learn to speak and understand the language. This is important even if you have a Russian wife, but hugely important being a single man and something you should do also.

He can also check the layout of the train station, get a feel of what he'll need to do when he departs, and find out exactly where the train will be parked to avoid/reduce any stress on departure day.

I still like doing it and the train stations in Moscow are on all around the circle line so its easy for me to swing by when necessary on my daily jaunts through the city. I like holding a real ticket in my hand as well. Plus it's feel good when you deal with people in Russia, in Russian, successfully.

Non-issue. Recognize, sheesh. And please, no further response from you to me is necessary. I get it; when will you?

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »
I had googled this question too and recognize both sites that have been posted here.  Not knowing what sites are reliable though and how well I could expect to get on at the train station buying there, I figured I'd ask. I may just go to the station in Kiev and get the ticket there. Not sure how well that will go - I don't know any Ukrainian, Russian tolko choot-choot, speak some Polish.  Could I hope for any English at the station?  I could also write things out in Russki before I go, it'll all work out -
I would highly recommend this.

As I wrote unthread, go check out the layout of the train station (what else do you have to do for a week :)). You will feel a thousand times better on the day you depart and know exactly what you have to do.

The Russian you need is easy (можно один билет до Москви, пожалуйста, купе = mozhna adeen bilyet doe moskvi, pajahlusta, coupe) a ticket to Moscow please, coupe. What you will hear back normally will be, туда и обратно = tuda abratna (roundtrip), and you say , nyet, tolko tuda. She'll then ask for money and documents.  You know what the price is so be sure they don't overcharge you.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »

Danchik

I found it impossible to sleep on the train, too bumpy, rattling over points, trains on the other track whizzing by, and this isn't just in Russia. Of course you do sleep, just feels like you didn't with broken sleep, etc. It's just too noisy.

I went on the Transsiberian, coupe (two bunks) I was  :censored: ed by the time I got to the Urals. My only regret was not nicking the glass and metal coffee mug from the train, I was so naive then I was convinced the FSB had cameras trained on me 24/7...

Oh, and corridors full of sick from plaskartniy types wandering into the posh end of the train were I was!!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »

Danchik

I found it impossible to sleep on the train, too bumpy, rattling over points, trains on the other track whizzing by, and this isn't just in Russia. Of course you do sleep, just feels like you didn't with broken sleep, etc. It's just too noisy.

I went on the Transsiberian, coupe (two bunks) I was  :censored: ed by the time I got to the Urals. My only regret was not nicking the glass and metal coffee mug from the train, I was so naive then I was convinced the FSB had cameras trained on me 24/7...

Oh, and corridors full of sick from plaskartniy types wandering into the posh end of the train were I was!!
Ste, I have found the international trains to be an upgrade to the domestic ones in all the FSU regions (quieter, smoother, less crazies, etc.). Not sure what your experience is in this regard.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »

Danchik

I went on the Transsiberian, coupe (two bunks) I was  :censored: ed by the time I got to the Urals. My only regret was not nicking the glass and metal coffee mug from the train, I was so naive then I was convinced the FSB had cameras trained on me 24/7...

Ste, I have found the international trains to be an upgrade to the domestic ones in all the FSU regions (quieter, smoother, less crazies, etc.). Not sure what your experience is in this regard.

This was 2002 (I think) Moscow Kazanskiy to Vladivostok. The ticket woman tried to stiff me with the Westerner tax but I knew enough Russian to avoid that, $250 down to $80! Bought the tix at an office Arbat I remember, fighting my past the begging Red Army Soldiers. Took about 40 mins as it seemed everything was hand-written, except the ticket itself which I still have I think.

Think Putin was in charge back then too actually. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, winged it all the way.....

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2017, 07:48:32 AM »

Ste, On some routes the double deckers are seriously posh ..  I don't think they operate on international ones - due to their height..

The worst prob with Coupes is when travelling alone you worry about your valuables and never know who one will share with and just as you get to know 'em - they're gone and at 3am new folks get on and wake you up :))

My longest journey has 'only' been 37.5 hours ..but that was enough ...If the plane is the same price or sl.more... PLANE every time :)

I'm glad I've tried it, though.. It's a good way to meet people ..

Normally, 2nd class is a coupe, and I believe that on this route, they may also have male and female only carriages..
Might be wrong of course, as I have not used the route...

[/quote]

When booking online - if the coach is one sex only - it is clearly marked

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »

Danchik

This was 2002 (I think) Moscow Kazanskiy to Vladivostok. The ticket woman tried to stiff me with the Westerner tax but I knew enough Russian to avoid that, $250 down to $80! Bought the tix at an office Arbat I remember, fighting my past the begging Red Army Soldiers. Took about 40 mins as it seemed everything was hand-written, except the ticket itself which I still have I think.

Think Putin was in charge back then too actually. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, winged it all the way.....

I have used the trans sib approx. 2 times a year from 2000 up until about 2006, and again from 2009 to 2016, but have never had any such experience that you have described, nor have I ever been skimmed for the cost.. Always a restful nights sleep..
I did find that it got a little too hot for me at times..
Its possible that you have not used the trans sib, as it goes nowhere near Kazan.

Checked just to make sure that I was correct..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Railway#Trans-Siberian_line
Scroll down to "Routes"...

Registration