The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Anybody get recently married from Canada?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Rockstar77

• Spouses Country: Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Anybody get recently married from Canada?
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:49:54 AM »
Hey everyone. In early 2017 I'm going to be getting married to my fiancée finally after going through one hell of a divorce game. It's funny how the ex wife that wanted and initiated the divorce and then wanted to be friends but turned into the worst thing in the universe. I've waited 1 year for her to sign the papers and finally get them processed. I was told they were always to busy and if Netflix is considered busy...my god...it sucked. Excuses after excuses. It took 2 days for the papers to be signed and that's it... wow one year later finally things can get real. But now I'm just waiting for it to get into the judges hands. I was suppose to be married last august because when I asked for the papers to be signed in October of 2015. A desk divorce is pretty quick and can take 3 to 6 months giving me plenty of time to get ready. Well 2017 is almost here and everything is finally awesome. When I met my Ukrainian sweetheart. I was separated for quite a while and never going back. But Things went hot fast. Before I knew it we were engaged after my second visit. Her consistency was something I never encountered but we had know each other prior six months to my first visit. I've spent almost 300 days living with her in Ukraine when that visa free thing lets me. Also I'm heading back in 11 days for another 40 days. So it's all cool. I looked up the information on the Canadian government website and it seems legit but what I'd love to know, is if any Canadians on here recently got married after divorcing their ex wife and know all the documents needed. I'm sure we can figure it out but any information is appreciated.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Anybody get recently married from Canada?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
Congratulations!

I can not help you on the Canadian side. But if you lived with her some 300 days in Ukraine, there might be some problems. Perhaps get a new passport. Your finance needs to handle the local details but you will need a so-called Apostille on your birth certificate and divorce 'decree' this is recquired from the Ukraine side. (Ukraine 'civil service')

On the other hand are you ready for a new relationship at this point? Two visits? Curious do you live in an area of Canada with a large Ukraine population.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Anybody get recently married from Canada?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
HI Rockstar:
Just came across this topic and noted you plan to marry in early 2017 as in NOW!!!  So how are things going is it on, or have you already married ? 

There are great flights twice weekly from Toronto to Vienna and directly to Dnepr. the following day so great from here and likely easy for you to get from the west to Toronto as well.  We did this last year and planning to do it again in 2017 as well.  Of course the flights from Vienna to and from Dnepr. are daily so as long as you get from home to Vienna you can make this happen as well.

For us we did it back 14 years ago, but expect the process is still the same over there in Dnepr. with visits for both of you to Kiev before and afterwards to complete the documentation for marriage and prior to your wife's visa and departure for Canada.