The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Options for overseas communications  (Read 11825 times)

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Options for overseas communications
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »
I can only, once again shake my head in disappointment and disbelief and thank whatever deity that might guard over me that I live in over here in civilisation.

If I were so worried about my fellow citizens that I was scared to use a mobile phone then I think I'd understand that I lived in the wrong place and surrounded myself with the wrong people.

Time to be moving on from the Home Of The Brave and toward a civilised society.  :'(  :plane:

Not going to go into a lengthy debate as to where the Utopian society is located.  Since the end of the Pax Romana, the continent overseas has been riddled with wars by numerous factions and competitions for control of resources and territory.   >:(   :fighting0025:   :GRRRR:

As for living in a particular location and surrounding myself with the wrong people, note that I have "ingrained myself" to this foreign land and do not have any close ties to any country on this planet.  The "wrong people" is the result of the "melting pot" of ethnic and cultural groups in this region.  Of course, it would be ideal to "eliminate" those type of hooligans or get away from them.   :whist11:  But unless you are moving to Antarctica, it will be difficult to completely avoid them.   :nod:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »
I think WhatsApp   Are bringing video chat in soon. They have already nearly killed off sms/texting over less than 24 months..

Todays news is old news very fast.. I used to use ICQ about 14 years ago, loved it..they could of gone a long way. Not sure if it was a Russian company. Lack of investment and spending the profits probably ended that. I think Mail.ru own it now.

The next big thing will be wearable technology.. The Ukrainian women will be in your pocket all day..thats probably better than your wallet though.

I used ICQ back when I first got online back in 1997.   ;D First IM service that I registered with that many users in chat rooms would use.  Also used AOL IM, Yahoo messenger, and MSN chat programs.  ICQ was owned by an Israeli company, Mirabilis I believe, back in those days.  Their website was among the most cluttered webpage that I had ever seen at the time.   :eeekk:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 06:00:07 AM »
Has anyone tried the "Tin can " phone.. I think thats FREE   :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!