The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Yacht Show and yacht racing in Sochi  (Read 2889 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Yacht Show and yacht racing in Sochi
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:56 AM »
Yesterday was beautiful - 24C - clear blue skies and v.little wind

SC was happy to go to the beach  and I hoped for an afternoon breeze to  pick up.

I was invited by Boris to take part of a mini regatta - a race around the cans in a small cruiser racer - An Elan210

As I had time to kill before the appointed time - I went down to the port and checked out the yachts on display .

They were mostly motor boats - not interesting for me ..but what was interesting - for the 'de-dollarisation' theorists - ALL the prices were in Dollars or Euros..

I took a photo of a v.large gin palace that was located in a 'private' section of the port - to be told that this  is 'Putin's yacht'... I'm not aware of the the veracity of this.

At the appointed time, Boris - our skipper arrived and we rigged the yacht - we tried to learn the terms in Russian and English  ;D

The yachts are hired out for various events and corporate team building. Our guests were all on holiday from Moscow and had no idea about yachting ..

I was worried how to dress and had thought this was a serious race ....not to worry - the wind was so light and fluky that 'bumps' were excused - normally penalties ensure - and everyone had a great time.

8 identical yachts took part and as we didn't have engines - had to be towed in and out of port

I want to try it -when there is wind... got a good tan

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic