The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Rdkng07

• Trips: None Yet
Hello from Michigan
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
Hello,

I'm very glad I stumbled across this form, and I have already found it very valuable. Thank You.
I’m a 54 year old man and as the subject suggests, I live in Michigan. I was married for 30 years but my wife passed away last year. So now that I’ve decided to find another, I have been looking in the FSU part of the world. I am serious about this, and I have the means to make it a reality.

While my wife was a wonderful lady, I think women in the U.S. have changed and not for the better. (There are exceptions of course.)
I am not looking for or expect to find a Stepford wife or a Barbie doll. I’m also not looking for someone too young for me. I’m very realistic and only want to find a woman with good traditional values, such as loyalty and commitment. Now having said that, I also understand that people are people.

I have been talking to women on some of the various dating sites and it has been going very well. I have however discovered to stay away from the big city girls for the most part. Nothing wrong with them, but I did have a girl from Moscow politely tell me that she couldn’t imagine her life living in a small town after she learned that I live a small city of 30,000 people. And this was after many good conversations. Not her fault, it’s just the way that it is.

The thing I am struggling with is trying not to hurt any ones feelings. I am a polite person, so I generally answer all the texts to me unless it’s from someone young. I figure if their under 40 they can’t be serious, and I’m not interested if they are. I am not leading any one on, but some of the women seem to be getting attached and I don’t know why, especially the girls from the smaller towns. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Rodger   

Offline Steamer

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
Welcome Rodger,
I've found that gals from Moscow tend to view anything smaller than Chicago to be a "village" meaning a pop. of 50 with chickens and goats running up and down the street. It's a matter of perspective I guess.
Enjoy the forum!
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I've never seen a winner that didn't bet

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Welcome.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 02:54:35 PM »
Welcome Rodger.

I doubt anyone can give you a definite answer to that one without knowing more, sadly. They could be a fakes trying to reel you in or maybe you're such a nice guy they all want to know more?

Don't rule people out just because they're under 40, I'm sure there's plenty women in their late 30's you could be compatible with but i guess its what you're comfortable with. Just be realistic and if you know roughly what league you're playing in then its a big head start. Not that I'm suggesting you are, but this pursuit can be brutal if you're a lonely old broke guy looking for your Kournikova....I'm sure you know what I mean?!

Good luck.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »
Welcome Rodger:
You are starting this adventure close to the age I was when I did it as well.  I would not rule out anyone based on age alone as one never knows what others will find right.  One fellow I met in a rural part of Alberta was older than I am and his wife younger than mine.  They now have a family of 4 or 5 boys and enjoy life in a village of around 200 people.  It all really depends on finding the right person who in turn seeks the life you have to offer her as well.

As you are in your mid 50's have you considered taking a Spring or Summer vacation to the FSU for a week or two and getting a feel for the countries there and the ladies as well?  This would give you an opportunity to experience the culture first hand and gain experience of your future soulmate's lifestyle.  While there you might even meet some nice ladies and regardless you will have a wonderful time taking everything in.

Also do consider the Free Sites as there is no reason to spend large amounts of money in the hope some agency girl is real and not just some guy in an office taking your money and sending you emails in return.  Yes this does work as my wide and I are among many couple who met this way that post on RUA.

Now sit back explore and enjoy your adventure.  Best regards Rodger.  Wes.