The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Scam Involving Anastasia Local Agencies  (Read 3686 times)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Scam Involving Anastasia Local Agencies
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
So this was reported to me by a traveler I met on my last visit in December.  I was stuck for a few hours at the Odessa Airport and met up with an older guy there by chance.  We were both traveling to Kiev.  Anyway, he also happened to be staying in the same hotel as I and I ran into him there, and he shared the following with me.

He was using Anastasia (pause to let the booing and hissing subside).  Upon arrival, he was informed by the interpreter (apparently by phone when he was arranging the meeting) that there was a "$70 fee" for the date, which included a certain amount (up to 2 hours?) of interpreting, plus a per hour thereafter.  This is, evidently, Anastasia's "Date a Lady" service, which he had not requested, but evidently his lady (whose English was actually quite good, although she wasn't 100% confident in it) had been told by the agency that they were "required" to use it (false) and apparently threatened her with being black balled from the agency if they didn't.

As he did not request this service, he refused, as he (correctly) surmised that it was being imposed on him by the local agency as a method of extracting some more dollars, so, for those who use agencies, be forewarned, as I expect it will become more common.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Scam Involving Anastasia Local Agencies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 01:19:16 PM »
What a sucker!! If you shouted at these guys till they are blue in the face it wouldn't matter, how many times do you need to say "Do not use any agencies"?

It gets really boring reading all these sob stories , I see no point in even publishing these stories. :'(

Another example of the Ukrainian brides industry :Zzzzsleep: :Zzzzsleep:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
Did he meet the woman B.B. ???

My guess is no.  Reinforces the point we both made on another thread.  Separate the woman from the agency ASAP.

Do not do business with any agency which will not release personal contact info (if the woman agrees).

Some agencies charge for the release of personal contact info.  As long as the charge is reasonable OK.  $70 is not reasonable to my mind...

Better still make contacts by other methods as Steve points out.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
Did he meet the woman B.B. ???

Actually, he did.  They had each other's contact info already, but the agency strong-armed her right before his visit....dosed her up on evil spirits about how it might be 'dangerous' to meet him alone, blah, blah, blah.  All an excuse to extract more $.  I think they intentionally waited to spring this on him when he was already in country.  It was a bullshit move.

I saw them in the lobby later in the week and he introduced me to her.  She was shy about her English, but it there was nothing wrong with it.  It was certainly better than my Russian, and I get by.  I chatted with them for a bit, and sometimes she would ask us to talk more slowly or repeat something, but it was ok. 

Reinforces the point we both made on another thread.  Separate the woman from the agency ASAP.

Completely agree.  Either don't use agencies or separate woman from agency as soon as possible.

B/B
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »
It gets really boring reading all these sob stories , I see no point in even publishing these stories. :'(

You're not actually required to click on threads, you know.  I posted it as a warning to the unwary.

What makes you think this is somehow limited to Ukraine?

B/B

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:15:24 AM »

You're not actually required to click on threads, you know.  I posted it as a warning to the unwary.

B/B

Its not just limited to Ukraine! But its a little like drugs, drugs are every where! But you could say the drug capital of the world is Columbia.

Scammers are every where, but Ukraine is the scam capital of the world.. :)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:33:50 AM »

B/B

Its not just limited to Ukraine! But its a little like drugs, drugs are every where! But you could say the drug capital of the world is Columbia.

In full agreement with you.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:18 AM »

B/B

I think Nigeria would be the front runner for that ubiquitous title.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 09:32:49 AM »
Not many Ukrainian 'women' marketing themselves to foreigners in Nigeria. Different type of a scam in Nigeria.

For people seeking Russian speaking wives Ukraine is surely the epicentre of both the business and the associated scams.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 05:52:25 AM »
I can't understand the attraction to Ukraine to start searching a women , but for some crazy reason guys are lining up to go there and become victims of scammer, then as usual return and tell everyone about their sob story which gets soooooooooooo boring you could fall to sleep..

Im often thinking the Ukrainian brides thing is just about finished or on its last legs at least! But some how I think it will probably continue for a few more years yet due to the fact there are so many stupid men in the world, and when I say stupid! I mean "Really stupid"

I think if Ukraine had a great economy ( Unlikely ever ) and most women suddenly woke up in the morning finding themselves middle class living in a nice apartment and having a good job and salary..Still men would be travelling to Ukraine to search a young dolly bird bride, still guys in their 60's and 70's would be travelling to the usual scam shit holes "Odessa" "Nikoli" and still being so disillusioned that they really think they can find a women 30/40 years younger than them selves.. pretty sad really  :Zzzzsleep:

What will happen finally is these guys will join sites and just be chatting to thin air..whilst still rubbing their balls on the hope of the dream coming true.

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »
You guys got to know. We have a lot of scamming women right here in the USA. Gee, I think they are everywhere. Go into any top less bar here and throw some money around that they will be young women who will want to make over you and be your girlfriend/wife what ever until they get all the money they can. Have enough money they will follow you home and beg for a ring. Some men seem to go to the Ukraine and treat it like a topless bar and wonder why they do not get different results.

There are a lot of young Ukraine women who would like to find foreign man and be a real wife.  First there is the problem to separate the business women who this hunting for men is a career form from those looking for a husband. It is time consuming, expensive but not really all that difficult. Finding a suable person is not easy anywhere and the Ukraine is surely not an exception. Even when you find a real person that wants a foreign husband it still is not easy. She will have personality traits that maybe you will not be happy with or the other way around. That will turn out to be true most of the time. Gee, if she is a real catch why isn't she already married. There are exceptions but not as many as one might think.

What Steveboy is dealing with are men from America who no body wants for good reason. He not a real catch for a Russian/Ukrainian girl neither. Then try to pair him up with a Russian woman who nobody wants. No wonder he is frustrated and hate the USA.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
You guys got to know. We have a lot of scamming women right here in the USA. Gee, I think they are everywhere. Go into any top less bar here and throw some money around that they will be young women who will want to make over you and be your girlfriend/wife what ever until they get all the money they can. Have enough money they will follow you home and beg for a ring. Some men seem to go to the Ukraine and treat it like a topless bar and wonder why they do not get different results.

There are a lot of young Ukraine women who would like to find foreign man and be a real wife.  First there is the problem to separate the business women who this hunting for men is a career form from those looking for a husband. It is time consuming, expensive but not really all that difficult. Finding a suable person is not easy anywhere and the Ukraine is surely not an exception. Even when you find a real person that wants a foreign husband it still is not easy. She will have personality traits that maybe you will not be happy with or the other way around. That will turn out to be true most of the time. Gee, if she is a real catch why isn't she already married. There are exceptions but not as many as one might think.

What Steveboy is dealing with are men from America who no body wants for good reason. He not a real catch for a Russian/Ukrainian girl neither. Then try to pair him up with a Russian woman who nobody wants. No wonder he is frustrated and hate the USA.

Those exist?  You've got to be kidding!  :laugh:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Registration