The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth  (Read 6373 times)

Online Guile

Re: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2020, 02:32:59 AM »
how's that weight loss coming along?  if you need some advice I do fitness and weight training.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2020, 09:09:15 AM »
Thanks for the offer. Things are going very well. Cardiologist and GP both happy with progress with weight but even more so with the way that a relatively rapid weight loss has improved both kidney and heart function and encouraged revascularisation in those organs as well as to my body as a whole - tl/dr I stopped looking pasty. I am now free to move off the angina drug at a time of my choosing. I have chosen to stay with it for a while longer. Its rather nice. ;)

As a result I have to to decline your professional offer in favour of my existing program.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2020, 04:36:05 PM »
I just weighed myself on my own scale for the first time since before starting my Christmas travel and vacation.

Without any dieting, just a conscious choice to moderate my own portion control, I have lost just over one kilo. That's not huge, but comes at a time when most people are piling on the pounds.

That tells me that my own food management has improved a lot. That's more important than any weight I may have lost.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »
Losing 1 KG over the Christmas holidays is actually really good.  I am sure I put on a a couple or 4.
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2020, 01:38:54 AM »
Yes, I was both pleased and surprised by that. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Online Guile

« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »
Could be just water weight.  try to play some sports and regular weight lifting.  I eat what I want when I want and haven't gained weight since my college days.

Online Guile

« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2020, 01:51:42 AM »
Look up intermittent fasting or the warrior diet. or eat what Koreans do, rice, noodles, kim chee, vegs, small bits of chicken or beef. breakfast lunch and dinner.

Never saw an obese person in Korean, almost everyone is stick thin. They don't eat dairy or fried foods. Took my roommate for a western dinner and he hated pizza cause of the cheese.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
eat what Koreans do, rice, noodles,

It is a curiosity that with all the carbs they eat, Asian folks don't gain weight. Why is that?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2020, 06:24:55 AM »
They do 'gain weight'. For example, in South Korea, there's not much obesity at only around 4%.on the other hand about 30% of the population is overweight. That's expected to rise to 35% over the next five years.

For comparison, across the EU, about 52% of the population is overweight.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2020, 06:28:46 AM »
In China and N Korea they eat shedloads of rice and not many fatties.....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Online Guile

« Reply #835 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
andrewfi, 30% of South Korea is not overweight, not even close.  You've never even been there, I've lived there.  Basically almost no one is even slightly overweight like in America or the UK.  No idea where you are pulling those stats from.

It's not carbs that make you fat, it's all the processed stuff, fast food and sugar drinks. They don't eat dairy and very little fried foods.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #836 on: January 20, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »
Guile, I do not give two hoots what you think you might have seen. When dealing with aggregates I will trust expert surveyors over the limited observations of one man with an unknown context, visual acuity and observational skills.

https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/obesityandtheeconomicsofpreventionfitnotfat-koreakeyfacts.htm

Whilst noting the inadequacy of a single viewer's opinion of a population that he cannot possibly have seen, I can say that the Korean people I have worked and studied with could not be described as skinny. However, compared to most of their USAain cousins they sure as hell would.

You see, the problem you, dear Guile, have is that you are always going to refer to your own experience and only ever have a limited universe of observations. Researchers do not go by what they see walking down the street or accompanying them at a nightclub. The way it works is they weigh people. They weigh a large enough sample of people to have a representative sample. These researchers keep records over time so that comparisons can be made.

So, nope, I do not need to rely upon your limited observation skills, I do not even need my own. I can rely on direct evidence provided by researchers using objective measurements.

By the way, you might want to do some learning about nutrition rather than spout bollocks.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #837 on: January 20, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
Today I bought a doughnut without sprinkles. This diet thing is hard.

Jesting aside, on the last day of 2019 I weighed some 99 kilo's. While still too much, a lot better than where I was, a year or so ago. The weather this year has not helped with regular exercise and I have a dislike of gym's, but that will be the plan and goal.

I stayed with the basic's, unprocessed food, no Golden Arches or Bugger King, lots of muesli, fresh fruit and veggies plus meats.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #838 on: January 20, 2020, 03:45:59 PM »
I stayed with the basic's, unprocessed food, no Golden Arches or Bugger King, lots of muesli, fresh fruit and veggies plus meats.[/size][/font]

I’ve recently discovered that grapes make a wonderful snack food between meals. Sweet, tart and tasty with a low caloric density (trying to eat healthier myself).
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online Guile

« Reply #839 on: January 20, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »
andrewfeefi you talk alot of junk dude.  Learn to humble yourself.  I lived in Korea and saw with my own eyes.  You've never even been there.  Who knows what that survey was.

As for nutrition, you are severely obese. I could run circles around you.  Pick any sport and I play it better than you.  I'd be more worried about your heart and lungs than me.  Don't be lazy and learn real nutrition.  Otherwise why would you be so fat.

Online Guile

« Reply #840 on: January 20, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »
I'll give you some advice that you should take to heart.  Do some martial arts.  Confed knows, he practiced.  I studied Bruce Lee's art and also kung fu.  At your age I would suggest tai chi and go easy on the joints.  There's a reason Asians are more healthy in general than the rest of the world.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #841 on: January 21, 2020, 06:04:10 PM »
There's a reason Asians are more healthy in general than the rest of the world.

I could be wrong, but I thought that supply and demand was one factor the Asians being less in weight than other groups.  When you have a huge population with limited resources, many will end up with little to eat.
Many of the lower classes tended to have less to eat while the upper classes had ample supplies.  The type of dietary intake may also play a big part on the weight since sea food is more part of the regular diet in Asian countries.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Guile

« Reply #842 on: January 21, 2020, 09:29:47 PM »

I could be wrong, but I thought that supply and demand was one factor the Asians being less in weight than other groups.  When you have a huge population with limited resources, many will end up with little to eat.
Many of the lower classes tended to have less to eat while the upper classes had ample supplies.  The type of dietary intake may also play a big part on the weight since sea food is more part of the regular diet in Asian countries.

Asia is so huge that supply and demand may factor in, but it's more due to the type of diet.  Many asians are lactose intolerant so don't drink milk or eat dairy products.
And fried food wasn't so big until recently. 

Steamed rice and veggies don't tend to make you fat.  We'll eat meat too but not double pounders or texan sized steaks.  Even most of my Asian friends who grew up in America tend to be thinner than their white counterparts.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #843 on: January 22, 2020, 12:39:55 AM »
I stayed with the basic's, unprocessed food, no Golden Arches or Bugger King, lots of muesli, fresh fruit and veggies plus meats.[/size][/font]

I’ve recently discovered that grapes make a wonderful snack food between meals. Sweet, tart and tasty with a low caloric density (trying to eat healthier myself).

Strawberries without sugar , also very low-calory density.

Expensive buggers though :-(
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline dnhptrs7

• Visa Help
« Reply #844 on: January 24, 2020, 02:36:35 AM »
Years ago when I was carrying about 20 pounds (9 kgs) too much I bought a treadmill. Best decision I ever made for my health. Burned off the 20 pounds in 2 months using the treadmill and jogging outside when the weather was good. I like to jog and during the summer I do it often. However, I don't like to run in the rain, so I use the treadmill when the weather's bad.

The best aspect of the treadmill is it can be used anytime. No changing to go to the gym. No fighting traffic. Just get on the treadmill and run. Walking's OK also. Sometimes I'll do 2 or 3 shorter runs on the treadmill. Sometimes I'll use the treadmill just to relax when I'm trying to solve some problem.

On the picture you have posted it looks in every  1lb muscle is equal to 5lb fat in size.