The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth  (Read 22932 times)

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »

Calorie counting has not been mentioned much lately. Really it is the thing to do. I heard Rush Limbaugh say that to lose weight for a man he should restrict himself to 1500 calories a day.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »
Seems to me it is the fundamental!

One can fiddle around the edges but the simple truth is that the greater the deficit between calorie input and calorie output the greater the rate of weight loss.

1500 calories per day is a commonly noted figure but also this idea of the amount of calories per unit body weight makes sense because it accounts for the differences between people.

For example, for me to limit myself to 1500 per day is MUCH more significant than it would be for Ira for whom that amount is close to her normal requirement given her weight relative to mine.

A small skinny person is not going to lose much weight on a 1500 calorie diet if their maintenance level for input is only 1700 calories (a 140 pound person who does not exercise much). They'll take about 18 days to lose one pound on that level of intake! In the same period I'd lose 10lbs!

Seems that 1500 for men is kind of a line between going it alone and needing medical support - as a general guideline. While some days I drop below that figure, other days I exceed it.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
Andy, when you hit plateau (which won't be soon), you'll incorporate more fitness. Eventually, the body adapts to lower weight and moves on.  Btw, do you walk? It's great, if one can, it's really important, it can be long walks at regular pace, not necessarily hikes.
As per maintenance, if you've kept the weight off for 5y, that means you lost it for good. I think what mattes the most is that you get it it's about permanent change, it's about changing oneself (as we are made of our habits) permanently. Peeps who drink must quit drinking, people with screwed sleeping patterns (like myself) must keep that under control, if one binges at social gatherings - then one doesn't attend social gatherings... :duh: For myself, if i had couple of drinks (let alone calories in them), it's easy to say yes to carby and fatty foods (at parties, dinners etc.) If i don't sleep, i can't workout, or the muscles don't recover properly. The biggest challenge for me personally though is travelling and work, and there i don't have the solution. If i am travelling for the sake of it, i can manage, but if it's for work, with crazy hours, no possibility to plan meals, eating on the go and so on - then i am doomed  :duh: Also, my problem is that it doesn't end there, it usually takes couple of weeks until i go back to the norm  :duh: Oh, well... ;)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
I'll be doing more fitness soon anyway.

When I am in the UK I will be at the pool most days again and then I will be starting to use the full gym facilities when back over here.

The way I figured things is this: when I hit a level that makes her majesty and me happy I will stop and find the best strategy to maintain weight. I reckon though that habits formed now will be the best aid I can possibly have.

Avoiding temptation though seems to be a key, and as you note, it applies to most things in which we overindulge. I don't want to make that choice though hence my desire to get some good habits in me and get use to thinking of what I eat as coming out of a fixed budget and then being able to account for what I spend. Today, for example, even after my MickeyD visit this morning it is hard to see how I will manage to eat more than 1300 calories - making the day overall a positive in the accounts!

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »
When I am in the UK I will be at the pool most days again and then I will be starting to use the full gym facilities when back over here.

As a former competitive swimmer, I recommend. 

As we age, swimming becomes a more appealing exercise, for reasons dealing with stress on joints and aging muscles and connective tissues.  Jogging used to be a sure fire way for me to lose weight when needed, but my knees have recommended that I choose another path.

Keep plugging away, no matter what.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »
I agree with Andrew and BB, I also swim, not only because I always did, but as you age you start to notice high impact stuff you always previously ignored. With swimming, its low impact and you don't notice so much the effort you are using so much as the water keeps you cool.

I find the stretching before and after in the gym tedious, the coaches say its necessary but a swim at the end negates it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
Yes, I am 'banned' from running due to my neck but there are plenty of machines that do not necessitate impact or jarring of the kind that could put me in a wheelchair. Plus, yes, my knees would fight me all the way - overweight and a decade or so of doing some heavy duty carpet re-fitting make sure that one's knees are not as young or healthy as some other people's.

Offline GreyScales

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »
Before I ever met Manny or was introduced to the RUA culture, I decided I needed to lose some weight.  At the time, I was caring for my mom in an addition to my house so being gone for long stretches was difficult.  Not being one to go spend hours at the gym, I found a used treadmill and good walking shoes.  Every night for close to a year, I either walked on that treadmill or went for a bike ride.

End result? Roughly 50 lbs lost.

Now, Mrs GS wants me down from 110 kg to somewhere in the 88 to 90 kg range.  I'm back on the treadmill a couple of time a week and bike when the weather permits.  When I bike ride, I find listening to music helps me pass the time and takes my mind off any discomfort.

Walking on the treadmill has got to be the most boring activity I can think of.  So I turn on the television and find something "entertaining" to watch.  I don't want to disturb anyone while walking with the TV volume high so I can hear the program over the noise of walking.  Since I have Bluetooth headphones for biking, I found an RCA to Bluetooth adapter on Amazon for like $15.  Kind of nice to "hear" what I'm watching without disturbing everyone.  AND, if I want to watch TV at night when everyone is in bed, I can cheat with the headphones.

So far, I've dropped from the 110 kg area to about 103 kg.  Problem is, I need to drastically change my diet to get over this hump.  It also doesn't help that the holidays has way too many sweets in the house - lol.

GS

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
Finding that balance is the tricky thing, seems you are managing this well.
Swimming is considered one of the best forms of exercise, low impact
works more parts of the body than most others. As always the end gets near,
having a solid plan in place to maintain. I agree it gets harder, just being more determined and whatever you do, if you have a small setback, don't fall of the wagon. With holidays coming that is a challenge, but if you don't lose one week, not the end of the world, but I have seen many quit over less.

Side Note: I read yesterday egg Mcmuffin with cheese is only 330 Cal.
( no meat) I had one also, don't tell the wife  ;D

Edit, maybe we need to set up the RUA challenge, I suspect most on RUA, could afford to lose a couple of lbs. Post weight and weekly weigh in see how we do  :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »
Yes the egg mcmuffin was a fortunate,  accidental choice.  I blame her majesty for the eating of it though. I had dropped her off at the health centre and was at a loose end, worse yet I had not had any breakfast.  I had thought to drop into the Herbalife cafeteria for 'breakfast' but she had nixed the idea.

About ten minutes after eating the bloody, lovely, thing phone rings,  her majesty is finished and would I like to go to Chez Herbalife for breakfast? What could I say except 'yes my sweet,  that' ll be nice'.

Words to the wise, a full Herbalife session (aloe water, Formula 1 and funny tea) on top of an egg mcmuffin and fries is not a recipe for intestinal quiet. As we went shopping for Xmas party gear my guts were a torment of bubbles,  belches and farts.

To cap it all the buggers insisted on weighing me and my numbers showed the effect of having just eaten and drunk a belly full. Numbers up in red on my wall chart.

===

I kinda like the idea of getting some in home exercise machinery and in the same way as you Greyscales, problem is that I don't watch much TV,  indeed not much sitting on my arse downtime at all and so fitting it into life in the way you do isn't immediately practical. Life has taught me that I am not supposed to use wheeled vehicles with fewer than 3 wheels,  so your way,  the only way in my opinion,  is not so easy. It is why going to the spa/health club is a good thing for me to do.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2015, 11:45:15 PM »
Seems that 1500 for men is kind of a line between going it alone and needing medical support - as a general guideline. While some days I drop below that figure, other days I exceed it.

I think that you are cutting it too close to the medical-support line.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 11:53:41 PM »
Well,  in a few days time I will be checking in with a quack on the process. I have committed myself to following his guidance in the meantime blood pressure is good.  The stuff measured (guessed at) by the electronics in my scales is looking OK and my energy levels and mental and emotional capabilities seem to be at least as good as before.

But yes,  1500 per day does seem to be the lower bound for 'normal' calorie reduction and while it'd be easy to drop lower using Herbalife support products I have no intention of doing so. Nor is Igor, my club's owner suggesting it.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2015, 01:52:32 AM »
my energy levels and mental and emotional capabilities seem to be at least as good as before.

Is is just me, but since andrewfi started this diet - he seems more 'oblivious' of his hilarious lecturing style ..

We have a friend on the same diet - she is all over the place... as the Kgs 'disappear' 
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
A famous Las Vegas Magician has lost about 105 lbs. recently.  Here's an article about how he did it.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/04/09/penn-jillette-weight-loss-105-pounds-diet/
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »
A famous Las Vegas Magician has lost about 105 lbs. recently.  Here's an article about how he did it.

No pizza and beer? I'd rather run an extra mile or two than not have pizza and beer.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »

No pizza and beer? I'd rather run an extra mile or two than not have pizza and beer.

I wish it was that easy to burn those...  :(

Alas,

Calories in Pizza Hut Pepperoni pizza (1 pizza, 833 grams) - 2 570 cal

Domino Cheese Pizza (1) - 2 488 cal

1 bottle or can of beer  (for example)

Heineken   148 cal

Guinness Extra Stout   176 cal

Stella Artois   154 cal

jogging at moderate pace (5 mph), in one mile 135 pound person will burn about 103 cal

(person of 165 pounds burns about 126 cal)

Basically, you'd burn the beer if running one mile, what about pizza? Heavy lifting burns 500 cal per hour, that would be 5h of lifting ... Normally it takes a week to do it.  :duh:
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »
Swapped chicken kebab and rice for pizza. Not a great loss. Chicken doner is starting, at last,  to make inroads here.

There's some things that no longer fit the calorie budget. Loaded pizza is one of the things I can't afford. Alcohol in general is a pleasure that I largely forswore several years ago.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:45 AM »
Swapped chicken kebab and rice for pizza. Not a great loss. Chicken doner is starting, at last,  to make inroads here.

There's some things that no longer fit the calorie budget. Loaded pizza is one of the things I can't afford. Alcohol in general is a pleasure that I largely forswore several years ago.

Well, if one can stop themselves after only one slice  and goes for a long walk afterwards, it's ok. I used to do it in my 20ies. After certain age though, our sugar levels are not a stable as they used to be, hence
 1. you don't stop after 1 slice; 2. you can't (or are too lazy to) run after it; 3. that one pizza can start a binge cycle  (:)
Besides, if you (generic you) cut off the carbs, the cravings stop. I can't avoid going to pizzeria from time to time, because it's "the thing to do" here. I opt for a beefsteak.
The beer i like, as a taste, but i can't. I have couple of drinks on some festive occasion, not more than once in couple of months. Still, given my genes, i need to do more than that, more restricting, more fitness   :'(
Accountability: Chest and Back last night (1h app., i count the breaks in between) ; 50 min low intensity cardio this morning (on empty stomach. ) Need to run errands today, will walk downtown and back (2km app.) Boiled eggs for breakfast, chicken breasts + cabbage (квашенная капуста) for lunch, i might have some curd cheese for snack AND i'll probably cheat tonight because it's Shabbat, Hanukkah, and i have guests over ;)
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »
I have gave up the pizza!

There used to be a routine. I got to do the shopping, there's a food court place, used to be labelled Sbarro,  not any longer though. Pizza didn't change.

I'd often stop by and have a slice. No longer. Now I might have chicken doner with rice. Funny thing though. When I started out it seemed like a decent size meal. Yesterday I was unable to finish the meal and, for the first time in years, I left food on the plate.

Also, at last, swimming is kicking in. I noticed a couple of days ago that I was unconsciously holding my stomach muscles in. Relaxing the blubber has become the conscious act. It makes a difference to the shape of my still terribly pear shaped outline. I didn't realise what I was doing until I tried to pull my belly in and found that I was already doing it. It was a disconcerting moment.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2015, 12:59:02 AM »
Well,  in a few days time I will be checking in with a quack on the process. I have committed myself to following his guidance in the meantime blood pressure is good.  The stuff measured (guessed at) by the electronics in my scales is looking OK and my energy levels and mental and emotional capabilities seem to be at least as good as before.

But yes,  1500 per day does seem to be the lower bound for 'normal' calorie reduction and while it'd be easy to drop lower using Herbalife support products I have no intention of doing so. Nor is Igor, my club's owner suggesting it.

I think that you ought to check (online) how many calories that you require to maintain your basal metabolic rate. Going below that threshold isn't sustainable. You will discover that maintenance of your basic body functions requires more than 1500 calories. My basal metabolic rate, for example, has been measured at 2500 and I'm only 70 kg. 

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2015, 12:59:38 AM »

I'd often stop by and have a slice. No longer. Now I might have chicken doner with rice. Funny thing though. When I started out it seemed like a decent size meal. Yesterday I was unable to finish the meal and, for the first time in years, I left food on the plate.

Thanks goodness! Your stomach is shrinking! Right, we forgot to mention that, that's one of the perks of eating less... ;)

Couple of days of cheating are enough to sc*ew up my sugar levels (i mean, not only mine, everyone's  (:)), i'll be taking this supplement https://www.evalar.ru/shop/olidzhim/ (Russian, but i can get it hare as of lately  :party0011: ), it does help with that and, thus, reduces the appetite. At the time, a Russian acquaintance recommended it to me and i was quite reluctant to try it, but it is great.

Also, at last, swimming is kicking in. I noticed a couple of days ago that I was unconsciously holding my stomach muscles in. Relaxing the blubber has become the conscious act. It makes a difference to the shape of my still terribly pear shaped outline. I didn't realise what I was doing until I tried to pull my belly in and found that I was already doing it. It was a disconcerting moment.

Your core is waking up ;) I don't believe in doing crunches, but i do core work outs (wight weights, like "chop wood", Russian twists etc. + all known variations of planks, mountain climbers, burpees, push ups and so on) at least 2x a week, it does improve posture.
Douglas Adams

Offline Manny

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:35 AM »
Is is just me, but since andrewfi started this diet - he seems more 'oblivious' of his hilarious lecturing style ..

Its just you.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »
Yes Tom but you scoot about like an agitated ant, a capability of which I am envious.

However up thread I shared the calculation to get the number. Bodyweight in pounds multiplied by 8 (calories) gives the required number, 2400 calories. It falls as weight drops.

However,  because I am a wobbly mass of blubber my body has a fuel supply other than that which I cram into my piehole. From what I have read it seems that as long as I keep 'on hand' 1500 calories or so of foody calories I will be fine.

If my muscle mass takes a kicking then I need to up the foody calories. I hope that the steps I am taking in that regard work out.

I have to say that if I were as fat free as you are then I'd not do as I am doing. My heart would be eating itself in a couple of days! But then I'd not NEED to do as I am doing.

Odd thing though, on a day to day basis, now that I have set my budget it seems hard, without belly busting restaurant meals, to imagine eating 2400 calories. Perhaps my inner anorexic is finding his voice?

Offline Manny

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »
Bodyweight in pounds multiplied by 8 (calories) gives the required number,

Where did that calculation come from?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2015, 02:05:16 AM »
Wouldn't we need a 'before' and 'after' photo?

I'm willing to put up one from Crimea 2015, and again Crimea 2016. at the beach of course.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria