The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth  (Read 6369 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:40:53 PM »
As is no secret I am not the skinniest bloke in any room - unless that room contains a local chapter of the North American Over Eating Society.

The process started when I was in my teens when I was actually a bit of an athlete - running and sailing were my things. Sadly I broke my neck in a motorcycle accident and that put an end to pretty much any sporting activity other than darts or golf, and golf is, as a brighter bloke than me noted, nothing more than a good walk - spoiled.

So, over the years my weight has increased, very slowly from about 150 lbs to almost double that at the imperceptible rate of less than 4 lbs per year.

The light of my life who is a sporty, fit, sometime model, fitness instructor and all-round hottie decided that something was going to be done to roll back some of those years.
So, a couple of weeks ago she dragged me off to meet her boss - a bloke who runs Herbalife clubs in Estonia and countries around us.

Me the dubious one when it comes to MLM and network marketing and the products they sell, partly because, in my past, I made a living from network marketing. Also, frankly, was concerned about replacing 'real food' with shakes and powders and stuff.

But, she's the boss and I want to be the man she wants to be with, so I had a job to do.

Igor, her boss, turns out is a really pleasant fellow, genuinely so. I also met his mother she helps him run the club I attend. He has a really cool take on the system I don't know how generally the model is applied but he has something like a Herbalife cafeteria going on. Each day folks show up to partake in their daily ration of 'product' for which they pay a monthly subscription.

Anyway, they measured and weighed me and checked my BMI and other stuff. Tutting and clucking ensued. Turns out I am old before my time...

I chose to not do the daily thing, no need and I live too far away to make it fun. At the moment I go back once a week for a weigh in.

Tell you what though, they have some great success stories. Yesterday I was sitting with an old biddy, well, she didn't look so old - maybe a healthy mid 60's. Only thing was, we celebrated her 80th birthday. Another woman, dead proud of her figure, and she should be! I saw the before pics. She's 74 and looks nothing like it. I met a bloke who has lost almost half his body weight in a couple of years. Same kind of scale of task as me.

The mutual support going on there is impressive. Different people all sharing the same kind of goals -OK, my little hottie is actually trying to gain weight, but still, Herbalife covers that too!

Anyhoo, I bought myself some of the basic meal replacement shake mixes and started counting calories and drinking LOTS of water. I already go swimming most days of the week. I set myself a target of 1500 calories.
I don't know if any of you folks have tried Herbalife or similar but I was quickly struck by one thing: If one follows the program it is actually quite hard to eat as much as 1500 calories per day! The shakes are 90 calories each and there's two of those. Well, in between snacks and grazing, which suits me, it leaves me with enough calories to have a real face filler of a meal once a day.

I had expected to be a bit down on energy, but surprisingly I am not, so far at least. Swimming is fun still, work is the same as ever. I understand why I need to drink so much water but it is hard to build that habit. I am replacing the water in the food I don't eat.

There was an odd experience the other day. I really fancied a Hesburger (local chain in the countries around here) 'Mega Meal'. So I took myself off and had one. Strange thing, only a few weeks ago I could tuck one of those away with alacrity. The other day, it was as much as I could manage. But another effect was notable: the taste!
For some reason I could taste stuff in there that I'd never noticed before, layers of flavouring in the sauce they use, the flavour of the beef, even the cheese seemed to be somehow louder.

I like that the use of meal replacements makes it easier to keep to a calorie budget because choices are taken away. I don't have to count the calories and make yes, no, maybe choices or feel like I am cheating. I load up a shake, which, it has to be said, tastes very bland, chug it down and get on with the day. My main meal, although I count the calories is always easy because whatever I want will never break the budget!

So, the results!
Well, first week, apparently usually a week when big changes are seen, saw me knock off 5.5lbs. This week is on target for similar, probably 5lbs, longer term I reckon it will fall to a couple of pounds a week. That'll see me at my 16 year old weight in about 18 months. After that, I reckon if it takes me as long to put the weight back on then I don't need to worry too much about dieting ever again! ;)

Has anyone else here used Herbalife?
How did you get on with the system?

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Losing Weight: Reversing 38 Years Of Slow Growth
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »
I don't trust Herbalife, too much aggressive marketing.

I am however on the same quest as you. Weighing in over 240lbs and it should be near 170 according to the doctors.

I did buy a kettlebell to improve strength in my arms, so far it has helped me get rid of an annoying 'click' in the elbows and they feel supple again. but noticable strength, not yet.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
I am glad you went that route, i did hope she'd influence you there.  :) I used Herbalife at the time, not only basics, but the whole program and cosmetics too, it's excellent. As a product, it's great, i don't think you'll find many negative reviews on it. Some peeps do blood tests before and after, the results show. (Even if it's placebo, who cares, as long as it's working.)
Over here for some reason all the peeps who were into Herbalife, did Silva Ultramind too (this http://www.silvaultramind.net/ ),  (so did i of course ;)), combined it does give one an extraordinary empowering effect.
My cousin and wifey just discovered it all last year, gave us all hard time by trying to take everyone to lectures with them, were buying supplements for all extended family and so on... It's exciting, especially in the beginning, feels somewhat of a discovering a new religion, and the newbies sometimes get overly enthusiastic (read: bore everyone else to death  ;D).
Meanwhile, i personally gave up on all kinds of powders, shakes and such and consume only non-processed, clean food (that's just me, without a slightest desire to talk anyone into anything ;)),
but once again, my experience with Herbalife was great, i don't regret it - to the contrary, I felt great and energized while on program.
Btw, for what i remember it does reduce appetite, but i think they suggest to eat vegan vegetarian while taking it, also there was some great explanation on why they advice so. Go easy on burgers, that is.
Something else: they say shake for breakfast and dinner, lunch is normal; sometimes i'd have shakes for breakfast and lunch and eat the regular dinner, for me it didn't make any difference.
That's it, for what i can remember. Enjoy the process, i am sure it will work for you  :)

edited to correct: i remembered, fish was ok to eat, but not meat ( i think)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
I don't trust Herbalife, too much aggressive marketing.

Try it, the product is great, albeit the marketing is indeed of a new-religious-movement. (And the owner of the company died a strange and premature death, drug overdose or something, can't remember for sure.) It's very expensive too, given that you buy all the supplements and cosmetics, not only shakes (i don't think shakes alone have a profound effect. Anyway it is, Andrew's SO is involved with it and she can get everything for him on a big discount, so it's not a biggie.) That aside, product as such is great. I am not sure if it's a myth, but presumably initially it was developed for Soviet cosmonauts?
Douglas Adams

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 02:17:35 PM »
I believe there are 2 main reasons why herbalife works, that can be achieved without it

1) It forces upon you a 3-meal/day diet, no snacking in between.
2) Because the shakes digest quickly, your body reduces your stomach size, meaning that any non-herbalife food is smaller portions and you feel 'full'.

1) is easy, don't snack and eat healthy balanced diets for 3 meals a day
2) Smaller portions work here too, which also helps reduce the calory count.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
I believe there are 2 main reasons why herbalife works, that can be achieved without it

1) It forces upon you a 3-meal/day diet, no snacking in between.
2) Because the shakes digest quickly, your body reduces your stomach size, meaning that any non-herbalife food is smaller portions and you feel 'full'.

1) is easy, don't snack and eat healthy balanced diets for 3 meals a day
2) Smaller portions work here too, which also helps reduce the calory count.

Mark.

Mark, i was 58kg (i am 175cm tall) when i was taking it, i wasn't in it for the weight-loss. I like experimenting with various programs and ways of eating, and tried pretty much everything which i thought would be beneficial for my health and specific way of living (i study a lot and train a lot most of my life, so i have specific nutritional requirements.)
( I agree 100% with you, that is, as per) weight loss only - calories in/ calories out, that's all it takes. If you are a "virgin" (haven't dieted too much), Atkins or Dukan will do wonders for you, both are low carb diets, whereas Dukan is low fat too. It's good because you don't feel the hunger, and the carb-cravings go away quite soon.

Don't tell anyone i told you but if hungry - get Reduxin, the Russian med, it's miraculous ; mind you not the LIGHT one. I was taking it couple of years ago, you might feel thirsty and sleepy first week.

ETA: needless to say, various ways of eating are among my fave topics, if not the favorite. ;) Btw, low carb is best for slowing the aging processes too, sugar and carbs cause wrinkles, beside f**** up our internal organs :( May i suggest a great article from NYTimes? http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all
Douglas Adams

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips. With my current diet, my weight is stable at 106kg, not gaining not loosing. I want to hit the gym more often than I am doing now (1ce every 2 weeks?  :drunk:) And use that to turn fat to muscle. My "perfect" weight is between 80 and 90kg with my height. So i am overweight, but not yet obese.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
Markje, noooo!

This is grazers heaven!

The suggestions here are for eating every three hours, including the two meal replacements. That's stuff like fruit or a bit of protein (meat, eggywegg).

I have been finding that once the initial hunger pangs and endless thinking about food went away (about 4 days) that I have very little temptation.

I have tried to research the products and am staying away from the ones that reek of 'magic', however I already added in a protein powder to the mix and may well add a fibre supplement in some form or other. I bought their Aloe concentrate which I mix in with water, more diluted than they suggest, but I found a very nice Aloe drink that comes from the orient, costs me €2 for 1.5L and has chunks of the pulped leaf in it. The recommendation for the Aloe from Herbalife was a good one but this solution is much cheaper. ;) I dilute that 1:3 although it is supposed to be ready to drink.

I rejected the 'tea' because that is 'energising' by way of caffeine. If I need it I have a perfectly good espresso maker and a large supply of caffeine tabs for when I am driving. They want me to buy the tea though...

I reckon that I will be saving money compared to my normal supermarket raids as long as I avoid the 'magic' stuff.

Tonight, just now, I made a lovely chicken and cheese toasted sandwich and finished off my day on a calculated 1544 calories. ;)

Now, some might tell me off but this was today's menu, it isn't typical, I try to mix up the schedule:
Breakfast: Strawberry shake with protein powder                                                   113 calories
Lunch: Chicken with rice in a curry sauce 360g                                                      553 calories
Snack: Egg                                                                                                               70 calories
Post swim snack: ham and cheese wrap (with green goodness too)       estimate 450 calories   
Evening meal: shake with protein powder                                                              113 calories
Evening snack: chicken and cheese toasted sandwich                                           221 calories

Total: 1520 calories

Tomorrow is a chicken and salad day. ;)
Lots of chicken these days!

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
Interesting thread to start Andy.

I played rugby at quite a high level for many years and could eat whatever I wanted. I'd played since the age of 5 and by the time I reached my early 30's, I'd lost my hunger for the sport. This all coincided with getting married to Mrs Rosco and my business growing.

Shortly after giving up the sport, I'd joined a boxing club and got a membership at a gym for spin/pump/circuit type class. The instructor became a good friend and I soon started following an even more strict diet along with protein shakes etc which I'd taken previously. I'd turned into a gym monkey and looked fantastic. Then life became too hectic and I totally got out of the habit. Walking the dog up the hills and heading to the pub became a past time outside family life and business.

Then I noticed the belly and the before and after pictures. Seriously, it was amazing how quickly you pile on the pounds when life is good and eating out & drinking good wine is the order of the day. So, I tried herbal life on the recommendation of my friend from the gym.

It did work and I've heard both good and bad reports about the diet and it did save me money on food. I no longer take the stuff and have got back into a more balanced routine but what it did do, was give focus to what and exactly how much you eat. It's easy to scoff biscuits when you'e hungry instead of nuts or fruit and portion size can get out of hand too.

I think two things when it comes to herbal life;

1) Pyramid selling
2) Controlled calorie intake for the less disciplined among us

Now I still enjoy the good things in life but follow a diet not too dissimilar to my rugby days through the week. Poached eggs or home made muesli for breakfast, salads/wraps/soups for lunch and fish/chicken/steak for dinner with salads or potatoes. Portion size is everything, drink lots of water and snack on nuts and fruit in between meals if you get hungry. I try to cut out sugar where possible and avoid alcohol unless it's the weekend or a special occasion. I always find it hardest when I'm travelling with work too.

Moderation I think they call it but like you say.....bad habits over a period of time finally catch up and its difficult to cut it out. Eat clean and train dirty....then spoil yourself at least once a week with junk food!

I make it sound easy!!  :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
Just a thought, Herbalife do NOT do pyramid selling.

Pyramid sales is a specific (and usually illegal) form of con trick.

Herbalife is marketed through Multi-level Marketing (MLM), often called Network Marketing. Pyramid selling is practically and mathematically different to MLM. I used to earn my living doing MLM, I'd never have been involved with a pyramid sales scam. ;)

The guy who Ira works for is 'President Level' within the Herbalife system but he does not make a song and dance about selling and signing folks up as agents. His model intrigues me as it is very heavily based upon retail of the products. He runs something like ten of these Herbalife 'clubs' within driving distance of Tallinn.

By the way, Ira is not an agent, she works for him as an employee doing fitness classes and motivation stuff, I am happy to pay full whack for the products until such time as I choose to become an agent and get an immediate 25% discount on them. As I see it I am getting a service in exchange for my money.

===============================

Early days yet but it seems to me that Herbalife is making me concentrate on what I show down my gullet in a way that I did not do before.
I'd liken it to the ways we spend money.

Some people get money and spend it, without thinking (that's how I was eating).
Some people get money and then consider how to spend each pound to get the best benefit (that's Herbalife and, I guess other similar systems)
When I started I thought that Herbalife was for folks who hate food. I was wrong, it is for people who want to get the best benefit for the food they eat.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about the motorbike accident, sounds nasty! Least you lived to tell the tale!

Golf you summed up nicely.

Herbalife is a big pyramid scheme and I'm dubious about the results lasting long term (as with any fad diet) but if the shakes are working for you and helps you to slim down then go for it I say.

Everybody is different, I'm 6ft2 and 82kg so about 22 ish on the BMI scale but I have an active job and as a younger guy a much faster metabolism than you likely have.

Post herbalife Andy I'd recommend you try a low carb high fat diet and you'll experience the same as you are currently. Less hunger and weight loss, though this diet is maintainable longer term and allows you to eat out and not out of a bottle.

Carbohydrates are great but they just spike your sugar levels so high that when they crash you crave more. Swap the starchy potatoes for sweet potato, white rice for brown and if you need fibre try a weetabix biscuit or 2 each day - high source of fiber and wholegrains are a better carb.

Good luck and I wish you success in your endeavour. Keep us updated, I wonder if we'll be seeing washboard abs as your avatar by January  :chuckle:

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
I was very lucky with the broken neck. It was exactly the same injury as paralysed Christopher Reeve (Superman) but unlike him the diagnosis was not made for many weeks when I was back in training to qualify for the county cross country team. If I had fallen while training I'd have been like Superman, or worse!

No washboard abs likely, but I did get my favourite belt 'edited' yesterday!

The swimming has built up muscles that are not visible but can be felt, if one pokes hard enough.
Herbalife ain't a fad, it has been around for too long for that to be true.

Oh yes, those Beatles, this popular music thing is just a fad it''ll never last...
50 years on and what have you got.

Online NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
I can relate, I broke my back on a motorcycle when 18.
I was fortunate to be able to still play sports, just not at as high a level.
Also I never had to worry about weight until I hit 40.
Now I need to work at more.

But if this is working for you, do it. You will feel better, have more energy
which will likely make your whole life happier. :thumbsup:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
Now I still enjoy the good things in life but follow a diet not too dissimilar to my rugby days through the week. Poached eggs or home made muesli for breakfast, salads/wraps/soups for lunch and fish/chicken/steak for dinner with salads or potatoes. Portion size is everything, drink lots of water and snack on nuts and fruit in between meals if you get hungry. I try to cut out sugar where possible and avoid alcohol unless it's the weekend or a special occasion. I always find it hardest when I'm travelling with work too.

I've been away from SC for too long and the type of diet rosco recommends - I gained some weight. I am ashamed.

Perhaps I'm just lucky - but unless you have a low metabolism - or a physical impairment prevents exercise  - most of us are plain FAT because of life-style choices and a like of discipline.

I think it is almost disrespectful to desire a woman - who has a great body and expect her to fancy a fat git...

I'm now back on my diet of nuts and tasty salads ..  I strayed.. I don't think I need the likes of Herbalife to live healthily.

We make excuses. We are weak .. Such companies thrive on this weakness and certainly provide a service.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:16 PM »
I was very lucky with the broken neck. It was exactly the same injury as paralysed Christopher Reeve (Superman) but unlike him the diagnosis was not made for many weeks when I was back in training to qualify for the county cross country team. If I had fallen while training I'd have been like Superman, or worse!

No washboard abs likely, but I did get my favourite belt 'edited' yesterday!

The swimming has built up muscles that are not visible but can be felt, if one pokes hard enough.
Herbalife ain't a fad, it has been around for too long for that to be true.

Oh yes, those Beatles, this popular music thing is just a fad it''ll never last...
50 years on and what have you got.

I need to use both hands to count the number of people I know who've sold it. Some have been successful and done well and others not so well. All were sucked into the sales hype and frenzy they create at their little American style seminars where Ronaldo appears to collect his 2 million cheque etc. BS! The smarter guys look back and realise how stupid they were and have moved on.

If it works for you then go for it, but nothing is better than a well balanced healthy diet regardless of what agents, managers or distributors of a food replacement product try to claim in their chase of a commission.

I don't remember our ancestors being obese so I'm saying the healthy diet fad ain't shifting anywhere anytime soon.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »
Stop with the motorbike accidents please! I have been looking forward to spring and getting the bike out again  :offtopic:

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
It's a good topic!

(I know Americans think in pounds, but do they have stones?)

I used to be rather large, about 15 years ago I was nudging 20 stone [125kg] I am quite tall and wide so it isn't as grim as it sounds - but still way too big. I was holidaying in the US very often at the time and started clothes shopping there. It wasn't good - they sell like 7/8/9/XL there.  :snivel:

Then life changed (we call this phenomenon 'dating new women') and I cut out fast food and chocolate and drank gallons of water, I soon lost 10kgs.

Later, while being married, comfort - even with wifey-inspired healthy foods - puts on pounds.

Quote from: Rosco
Seriously, it was amazing how quickly you pile on the pounds when life is good and eating out & drinking good wine is the order of the day

Rosco is bob on.

I tried the 5-2 diet. It works, I lost 10kgs on that again as well. But as soon as you stop, some of it goes back on.

Meanwhile, earlier this year, wifey found some woman in Russia espousing this herbal life stuff. She wanted to lose a few kilos (like 3) so she spends a ton of money on this stuff. I read the ingredients and decided it was mostly made of shite and chemicals and wasn't healthy. I sell stuff online, I did the sums, people are earning big £ from this crap. I suggested she put it in the bin. She argued, so I suggested she get a second opinion and ask her trainer at the gym. He read it and told her to put it in the bin. It was 2-1 so she did.  :chuckle:

She came back from her trip to Russia this year heavier than she preferred (late 50's kg). Since then, she dumped carbs: potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. She did more gym stuff and stopped eating after 6pm. This was fearsome Soviet-style personal discipline kicking in. Like 10% of body weight in a month or two. Worrying weight loss really. She is now 51-52kg. Which for her height, is a little on the skinny side actually. She is now a UK 6. 6 is nice, but a curvier 8 is OK too. Never before did I say to a woman: "Relax, have some wine, have a burger if you want, you have a kilo to play with.........."

Since August, the result of a house with food mostly devoid of potatoes, rice, pasta and bread has made me effortlessly lose 8kgs too. I joined the gym again too; nothing too serious, just swimming (20 lengths) and 30 mins of cross training and a lot of sauna and Jacuzzi stuff (relaxing). I am buying smaller clothes and drilling holes in belts again, so nothing to complain about there. For my height and build, if I went below 100kg (16 stone), I would look sick. 17 stone (107 kgs) suits me, and I am only a few kg away from that again. Jan/Feb will see me at target without pain, still drinking wine and eating bacon butties (but much less of both than before) Its not rocket science: eat less shit, move more.

But the Herbal Life stuff? An overpriced chemical cocktail of unhealthy stuff that is an Amway/Avon style pyramid selling racket. Yes, it may work for some (as Andrew claims), similar to the Slimfast stuff that was popular here in the 90's. But read the ingredients, do you really want to drink a cocktail of e-numbers and stuff you never heard of that ends in "phate" and "cide"?  :sick0012:

I've seen Andy both quite big and quite slim. When quite slim, he was under a lot of stress. I've been in both places too over the years. We probably all have. If he can pin down a healthy eating girlfriend to cook his meals who knows about this stuff, she will take the thinking about it away from him and leave him to do his £ earning stuff - as my wife does. The Herbal life might be a step on the path, but it isn't the answer.

For me, cutting out the carbs was key. Herbal life may work for some, Atkins for others, 5-2 for more still. Everyone is wired different; why there is no "one size fits all" diet book. The bloke who can write that will be richer than Bill Gates.

TomT is probably the man whose considered opinion we want on this topic.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
If you insist...

Gimmicks usually only work for a short time, then the status quo sets in. Calorie restriction will only take one so far before the starvation mode takes over anyway. Then, making additional progress requires a Herculean effort. Moreover, maintaining nutrient levels can be tricky if one cuts down too much. Just to be clear, I am speaking of across-the-board calorie restriction. Restriction of processed foods, sweeteners and saturated fats is always a good thing. Artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated fats should be considered to be toxins.

Consistent physical activity is the weight-loss regime of choice. The key is to find an activity that is personally enjoyable so that it is likely to be performed regularly. For those who enjoy sports, including running, and still have the knees for it, that's great. Cross-country skiing, swimming and hiking are excellent alternatives that are lower impact, therefore more tolerant of old injuries. Ballroom dancing works for me and has the extra benefit of getting some socialization with one's exercise.

Unfortunately, many younger people are too busy with their careers to find the spare time and older people often don't give a damn anymore. Be that as it may, developing a program in mid life is necessary so that it becomes a habit and so that one's condition doesn't get so bad that the task becomes insurmountable. I often see morbidly obese older people at the gym... for a few days; then they disappear. They should have started a decade sooner.

"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 07:49:01 PM »
Years ago when I was carrying about 20 pounds (9 kgs) too much I bought a treadmill. Best decision I ever made for my health. Burned off the 20 pounds in 2 months using the treadmill and jogging outside when the weather was good. I like to jog and during the summer I do it often. However, I don't like to run in the rain, so I use the treadmill when the weather's bad.

The best aspect of the treadmill is it can be used anytime. No changing to go to the gym. No fighting traffic. Just get on the treadmill and run. Walking's OK also. Sometimes I'll do 2 or 3 shorter runs on the treadmill. Sometimes I'll use the treadmill just to relax when I'm trying to solve some problem.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips. With my current diet, my weight is stable at 106kg, not gaining not loosing. I want to hit the gym more often than I am doing now (1ce every 2 weeks?  :drunk:) And use that to turn fat to muscle. My "perfect" weight is between 80 and 90kg with my height. So i am overweight, but not yet obese.

Markje, you are very tall, 106 kg is ok for you, if you have a lot of muscles.

Gross, i know, but here it is:

(Btw, the fat can't be turned into muscles, they are different "animals", it can be only burned by serious working out and/or lost via dieting.)
I do kettlebell work outs too (it's a very Russian thing to do  ;D ), and lift heavily, and may i (from experience) suggest you use measuring tape instead of weighting yourself?
Also, get one of those clippers that measure body fat, you might be at higher weight, but at optimal body fat percentage, lifting is tricky that way ;)

Given the interest, i think we could start a fitness/ weight maintenance accountability thread, seems it'd be popular. :)

Back + Biceps for me this morning (it's 5 am), on empty stomach of course  :8)
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
Akaluke, I ain't planning selling Herbalife, but at some point I will choose to take a discount rather than pay for service. That's simply a rational choice, :-)

The figures for success in MLM are not good if one looks at a breakdown of compensations butting most MLM businesses most people are just taking personal discount which distorts the overall figure hugely. Back when I was making a living at it the company I worked with reckoned that of the people who were agents only 5% would ever earn a wage replacing income. That looks tiny but it is better odds than for Internet Marketing and not terribly bad when personal buyers are excluded.

However the product is what I am buying. On the whole its method of distribution is not important to me. Interestingly, here at least, the pricing is competitive with supplements and meal replacements that can be bought at supermarkets. I checked. :-)

Most of the products I would use are made with surprisingly 'normal' ingredients. I already take a daily mineral and vitamin supplement so I won't use theirs but that's the least 'natural' product  of theirs that I have seen and I and millions of others take 'em every day. The products are pretty similar to the supplements that folks doing weight training and body fitness often use so any trainer would be familiar with whats in them. Their gym sells competing products. :-)

By the way, I alluded to but didn't make clear, in this guy's organisation at least the exercise and fitness combination with calorie control is fully integrated. They run fitness sessions several times a week and make a big thing of the importance of exercise. I don't do that with them, I prefer my daily spa sessions.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »
I already take a daily mineral and vitamin supplement so I won't use theirs but that's the least 'natural' product  of theirs that I have seen and I and millions of others take 'em every day.

Andy, i am proud of you. Way to go! May i suggest something? I don't really believe in vitamin overdose, but do check what vitamins are in the shakes already, i believe it's suffices, without adding on it. (Or at least, given that you are drinking a lot of water and probably after 12h have 'washed down' whatever vitamins you took, take the additional ones long before or after the shakes.)
Great topic btw, kudos for starting it  :)

(What i do last couple of years is vitamin B12 shots, i know it's controversial and probably isn't for everyone, but it works for me. If i wasn't a chicken, i'd try HGH injections, as my friends have awesome results with it, alas, i can't risk that much. :hidechair: )
Douglas Adams

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »
i'd try HGH injections, as my friends have awesome results with it,

I think stuff like hormone injections are unnatural and very unhealthy.

Anyone who goes to a gym can pick out the "hormone guys" a mile off. Yeah, they probably look OK for a while, and some women seem to like that stuff, but the long term effects don't seem so swell. Mood swings, aggression, heart stuff, ED and all kinds of nasties await most of those blokes. I recall reading gym forums full of blokes on hormones buying Viagra and other stuff to make their equipment work and control their moods and aggression. All that stuff seems a price too high to pay. Why take loads of drugs and injections to look like Charles Atlas if after it all your cock doesn't work?  :rolleye0009:

Makes no sense to me.......
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
Volshe, yes, you are right, there's a shedload of minerals and vitamins in the basic shakes (Formula 1) and two goes is just about a full RDA of the included goodies.

On the other hand I have been using the same multivit/mineral tabs for years and, so far, kept scurvy and rickets at bay. The Herbalife bloke wants me to buy their multivitamin mineral tablets but I refused on the grounds that I have that side of things covered already.

I normally take my vitamins along with blood pressure meds as my breakfast. ;)

Manny, one needs to be taking large doses of testosterone for that to happen. Setting aside the benefits or otherwise of HGH it isn't the one that causes tiny testes and 'roid rage! Two different things but seemingly used for the same purpose.
Oh, I can't be certain of course, but I don't think Volshe has a penis.  tiphat

Damme, it is getting hard to hit 150 calories now!
Toasted cheese and chicken sandwich, big Caesar salad, banana, double dose of Formula 1 and still only 1000 calories today.

I think I see a bit of a treat in store for tomorrow!

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
i'd try HGH injections, as my friends have awesome results with it,

I think stuff like hormone injections are unnatural and very unhealthy.

Anyone who goes to a gym can pick out the "hormone guys" a mile off. Yeah, they probably look OK for a while, and some women seem to like that stuff, but the long term effects don't seem so swell. Mood swings, aggression, heart stuff, ED and all kinds of nasties await most of those blokes. I recall reading gym forums full of blokes on hormones buying Viagra and other stuff to make their equipment work and control their moods and aggression. All that stuff seems a price too high to pay. Why take loads of drugs and injections to look like Charles Atlas if after it all your cock doesn't work?  :rolleye0009:

Makes no sense to me.......

Manny, i am female for goodness sake!!!  :eeekk:

But i get your concern, and i think along the same lines ;) If i didn't have family and pets who depend on me, i might have experimented, but as it is, i mustn't. HGH in females does wonders though... All my friends who inject it have amazing results from it, and for what i observe, no particularly nasty or debilitating effects. All work at high-responsibility jobs, where no one would tolerate rage or similar escapades. The things is that no one knows what HGH does long term, and that's where i am a chicken. I risk here and there, but with way milder stuff, like with that med i mentioned above (Reduxin/  sibutramine, it's illegal in EU, but used to be sold over the counter in Russia; i trusted my gut feeling & that the Russians know better and i didn't regret it), same with B12 shots. I won't risk more than that though.

Volshe, yes, you are right, there's a shedload of minerals and vitamins in the basic shakes (Formula 1) and two goes is just about a full RDA of the included goodies.

On the other hand I have been using the same multivit/mineral tabs for years and, so far, kept scurvy and rickets at bay. The Herbalife bloke wants me to buy their multivitamin mineral tablets but I refused on the grounds that I have that side of things covered already.

I normally take my vitamins along with blood pressure meds as my breakfast. ;)

Manny, one needs to be taking large doses of testosterone for that to happen. Setting aside the benefits or otherwise of HGH it isn't the one that causes tiny testes and 'roid rage! Two different things but seemingly used for the same purpose.
Oh, I can't be certain of course, but I don't think Volshe has a penis.  tiphat

I don't (as much envy as the lack of the above mentioned organ, according to Freud, presumably induces in females) :snivel:

Damme, it is getting hard to hit 150 calories now!
Toasted cheese and chicken sandwich, big Caesar salad, banana, double dose of Formula 1 and still only 1000 calories today.

I think I see a bit of a treat in store for tomorrow!

:THUB:

Way to go, Andy!
Douglas Adams

Registration