The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 178 times)

Offline civi68

• Trips: 5-10
Vitamin D
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:28:55 AM »
I wanted to share some information about vitamin D from a group called Grassroots Health. They are a group of the leading Vitamin D researchers. This is excellent information for you and your wife. Basically, 2000 IU of vitamin D is needed for overall health and disease reduction. On a personal note, I had a vitamin D deficiency several years ago that resulted in a health issue that affects my ability to travel to the FSU even to this day. So, it greatly affected my life.
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs187/1102722411090/archive/1122493542305.html
Mike

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 06:09:46 AM »
I wanted to share some information about vitamin D from a group called Grassroots Health. They are a group of the leading Vitamin D researchers. This is excellent information for you and your wife. Basically, 2000 IU of vitamin D is needed for overall health and disease reduction. On a personal note, I had a vitamin D deficiency several years ago that resulted in a health issue that affects my ability to travel to the FSU even to this day. So, it greatly affected my life.
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs187/1102722411090/archive/1122493542305.html

:laugh: effected your ability to travel to the FSU ???? How is that possible?? :sick0012:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
Get yourself somewhere sunny, those supplements don't do thing!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »

:laugh: effected your ability to travel to the FSU ???? How is that possible?? :sick0012:

Unlikely but maybe he got cancer or his mental health was affected such that he was not fit to travel. CLICK HERE!

From the linked article:
Symptoms and Health Risks of Vitamin D Deficiency
Symptoms of bone pain and muscle weakness can mean you have a vitamin D deficiency. However, for many people, the symptoms are subtle. Yet, even without symptoms, too little vitamin D can pose health risks. Low blood levels of the vitamin have been associated with the following:

Increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease
Cognitive impairment in older adults
Severe asthma in children
Cancer

As he isn't dead cardiovascular disease ain't it!
The guy isn't a kid!
So we got cognitive impairment or cancer.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 07:58:15 AM »
There is no condition that will stop you from travelling a friend of a friend has 18 months to live , they are travelling the world, climbing mountains and doing all sorts of stuff and he's got pretty frail now.

His mental health would not matter, look at all the US soldiers who have travelled to Europe recently they all have mental health problems!

Sounds interesting, lets try to get to the bottom of this ?

From what what I can understand even if you have Embola you can travel?

If I was just a stump in a wheelchair with no legs and arms I would still arrive in Russia :party0011:

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
There is no condition that will stop you from travelling a friend of a friend has 18 months to live , they are travelling the world, climbing mountains and doing all sorts of stuff and he's got pretty frail now.

His mental health would not matter, look at all the US soldiers who have travelled to Europe recently they all have mental health problems!

If I was just a stump in a wheelchair with no legs and arms I would still arrive in Russia :party0011:

You're pretty sharp aren't you, Stevie Boy? Never one to miss a chance at an anti-American dig.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »

You're pretty sharp aren't you, Stevie Boy? Never one to miss a chance at an anti-American dig.

:thumbsup: Thanks for noticing

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
We sometimes place limitations upon ourselves that are more to do with our attitude than with reality. yes, Steve, you are right, folks do all sorts with all sorts of handicaps or illnesses - others, well, they can't. Both variants are real for the people experiencing them.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
Yes its just an interesting topic. Over about ten years I have heard of so many stories from guys why "They cannot travel to any FSU country" its un real and very amusing.

Probably one more reason so many women give up searching a foreign husband after hearing some of the stories :chuckle:

Of course the guy here may have a genuine reason, if so Im sorry for him. Life's a botch some times.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
civic68

Forgive some 'us' for mocking what seems to be really important subject to you.

Many, many years ago I studied Human Biology to an advanced level and we had a guy in our lectures called Rickets -  who's nick became 'Vitamin D deficiency'

We were taught that natural sunlight should normally provide all the vitamin D necessary and that this ailment was common in women folk who dressed in black from  head to foot. ..thus not receiving enough sunlight.

Surely, you'd have to be really unlucky - have an inability to absorb vitamin D - living in a western nation with vitamin D present in foods and a few trips outside... ?

Personally, my concern for my future Mrs, is her inability to comprehend the danger of too MUCH sunlight  :coffeeread:

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline civi68

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 05:12:13 AM »
Due to my vitamin D deficiency, I ended up with a sun allergy that I can't go out during the day even with sun protective clothes and sunscreen on without my skin breaking out in a severe rash. It's called Polymorphic Light Eruption. Anti-histamines help but I found them unpleasant to take. January is the only month I can be out during the day. In any case, the purpose of my post was to share health information and not my health problem.
Mike

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
We were taught that natural sunlight should normally provide all the vitamin D necessary and that this ailment was common in women folk who dressed in black from  head to foot. ..thus not receiving enough sunlight.

You mean the Muslim sub species, also know as females??

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:15:15 AM »
I wasn't aware Orthodox widowed Greek ladies switched reglion on losing their husbands...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Registration