The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Best Current Offline Translator?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Best Current Offline Translator?
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
I've been using Google Translate for a while and now as I prepare to travel I wanted to install an offline translator onto my iPhone. iOS still doesn't seem to support offline translation for Google Translate, so with that said does anyone have any recommendations?

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Best Current Offline Translator?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
I've been using Google Translate for a while and now as I prepare to travel I wanted to install an offline translator onto my iPhone. iOS still doesn't seem to support offline translation for Google Translate, so with that said does anyone have any recommendations?

If you're going to Ukraine and want to use a translator  then ensure your phone is unlocked or buy a cheap unlocked smartphone and take a local sim out on arrival.

I only visited Kiev so Kiev star was good for me. Not super fast data but adequate and it cost peanuts. 5 us and it lasted me 2 3 day trips.

You'll want data to browse for places to eat, things to do,arranging meetings etc.

But finding women who speak some English is a great start.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:34:38 AM »

If you're going to Ukraine and want to use a translator  then ensure your phone is unlocked or buy a cheap unlocked smartphone and take a local sim out on arrival.

Good advice...plenty of recent model androids can be picked up for silly money and you'll have UA and Russian languages offline ...

Do remember to download the offline languages  - before leaving - using home wifi  :chuckle:

I only visited Kiev so Kiev star was good for me. Not super fast data but adequate and it cost peanuts. 5 us and it lasted me 2 3 day trips.

You'll want data to browse for places to eat, things to do,arranging meetings etc.

But finding women who speak some English is a great start.

Main UA mobile / cellular providors

Kievstar is a national cellular provider..the largest. It is largely UA owned. http://www.Kievstar.ua/en/kr-620/mm/ - largely Russian ownership

MTS is a largely Russian owned company, http://www.mts.ua/

Life is majority controlled by Turkcell http://www.life.ua/en/

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »
Thanks Luke. I'll have a local mobile phone while there and will keep my iPhone in airplane mode taking advantage of wifi when possible. Agreed though....access to data is a must when visiting a foreign country.

Offline mogurx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
OK folks use smartphones and so on.

What is a good off-line translator for a laptop?  (Windows OS)   I have millions of pictures and son on laptop and take it with me on trips to FSU.

The possibility exists that the laptop will be without internet access.

Are there any "free" translators for laptops? 

Any suggestions?  Curious.
Serious error.
Screen. Heart. Both are blank. 
You are 404

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »

What is a good off-line translator for a laptop?  (Windows OS)   I have millions of pictures and son on laptop and take it with me on trips to FSU.

Stick to English speaking women will save lots of hassle.. who needs online translators? Actually who need the trouble trying to communicate with a women who speaks no English.. FSU Countries are full of women speaking English..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline yankee

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 06:27:38 AM »

Stick to English speaking women will save lots of hassle.. who needs online translators? Actually who need the trouble trying to communicate with a women who speaks no English.. FSU Countries are full of women speaking English..

My wife does speak/read/write English.  it is the other people in Russia that do not speak English that I would need a translator for.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Ангелина1234Т

• Spouses Country: Украина
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
I am very grateful for the translator. Often it happened that a translator was needed and the phone ran out of Internet. And immediately fear and panic.
Now I will not have such problems