The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
This seems to be a trailer for a longer show, which sounds like it may be interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/preview-russian-president-vladimir-putin-interview-with-charlie-rose-60-minutes/
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
Re: Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Great interview.  He came off rational, intelligent, and even personable. 

I'd encourage everyone to watch if you missed it live tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vladimir-putin-russian-president-60-minutes-charlie-rose/
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »
Just watched Parts 1 & 2.  Putin, as always, comes over as suave and sophisticated.  He has always come across as a reasonable man who does unreasonable things...

I concur with his views on Syria.  The western backed regime change has failed.  Time to back the government and enable them to defeat the extremists.  After that has been achieved it is up to the Syrian people how their government evolves  As if  :ROFL: That will never be allowed to happen.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
I will be watching it this afternoon, but there is a short article on it here: http://journalitico.com/2015/09/28/putin-on-60-minutes-twitter-reacts/

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »
As usual he comes across as the guy who says 'I'm lying to you face' whilst smiling at you. His analogies are predictable and SO easy to 'pop' with a valid follow up.

Example, when he discusses Yanu's fleeing justice... If he is so certain the 'colour revolutions' and  'removal' of Yanu' was 'illegitimate' - how does he explain Yanu's Political party expelling him and two subsequent elections  making it clear how most Ukrainians felt?

There isn't a civil war going on in Europe, so the 'excuse' about Russian troops being used in Ukraine - comparing with US forces in Europe - which he ducked - should have been seized on.

I didn't see anything to change my personal - long term  - negative opinion of a guy who proves the expression 'absolute power corrupts, absolutely'

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
As usual he comes across as the guy who says 'I'm lying to you face' whilst smiling at you. His analogies are predictable and SO easy to 'pop' with a valid follow up.

Example, when he discusses Yanu's fleeing justice... If he is so certain the 'colour revolutions' and  'removal' of Yanu' was 'illegitimate' - how does he explain Yanu's Political party expelling him and two subsequent elections  making it clear how most Ukrainians felt?
this has been debated and explained extensivly, why should he do it again when it is completely off-topic to the topic at hand (ISIS/Syria)

There isn't a civil war going on in Europe, so the 'excuse' about Russian troops being used in Ukraine - comparing with US forces in Europe - which he ducked - should have been seized on.
Off-topic so both parties decided not to go there. When you have only 1 hour to debate, you have to pick/choose your topics.

I didn't see anything to change my personal - long term  - negative opinion of a guy who proves the expression 'absolute power corrupts, absolutely'
Thats your choice.

Politicians lie all the time, but putin lies the least , propaganda with the truth is the path of least resistance.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
Russia Todays headline on the interview

''The sovereignty of all states, including Ukraine, should be respected, Russian President Vladimir Putin told CBS’s ‘60 Minutes''

So, can we expect a withdrawal from Crimea after this revelation  ? :sick0012:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »

this has been debated and explained extensivly, why should he do it again when it is completely off-topic to the topic at hand (ISIS/Syria)

It's entirely relevant and Russia Today are making it their 'headline' , right now... It isn't up for debate ..Yanu's dismissal from his own political party often gets 'glossed over' by those who make excuses for direct - military - interference that in Ukraine's affairs.

Off-topic so both parties decided not to go there. When you have only 1 hour to debate, you have to pick/choose your topics.

HOW is it 'off-topic', is it was a 'response' from VVP ?. It is a typical poor analogy that I can excuse from folk that aren't well travelled...

Politicians lie all the time, but putin lies the least , propaganda with the truth is the path of least resistance.
[/quote]

Markje, the above statement would be hilarious - if it wasn't so obviously incorrect. I do not dispute VVP is the democratically elected leader - I DO remind you that he has engineered a situation whereby creating a strong, coordinated opposition is nigh on impossible ... and if one looks like a 'threat' you aren't a patriot, you'll likely have committed a 'criminal offence', be 'insane' or 'funded by a third nation's NGO' ....

Offline Wiz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »

The broken record is back to TROLL  the official F.O British bull ...... and he forgets to talk about the bombing of Iraq and Libya.... from her Majestys war mongers.

Obviously part of your ad-hoc services to .... you know who, is trolling with his broken record about Ukraine..... etc.

Sorry Moby  but, here, Nobody bites your bull.......... change your tune and stick to the skirt.

:P

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

I thought he did raise a valid point about having 25 million citizens scattered all over the FSU when it broke up.  How many of these people would have preferred repatriation to establishing citizenship in the new country?  We'll never know because that problem was not directly addressed until Crimea.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
A very good interview I thought. Although it seemed to seamlessly slice with a previous interview from 2005 without much explanation. Unless it was the autoplay. If it was, I didn't see the original conclude, so we didn't see all there was.

Also the interpreter was not reporting what he said verbatim, but not much message seems to have been lost despite that.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
A very good interview I thought. Although it seemed to seamlessly slice with a previous interview from 2005 without much explanation. Unless it was the autoplay. If it was, I didn't see the original conclude, so we didn't see all there was.

Also the interpreter was not reporting what he said verbatim, but not much message seems to have been lost despite that.

The full interview and transcript with the 'missing bits' is on RT. There was a big chunk about Syria lopped out.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
Here will do:

Kerry could not manage to be bothered to stifle his yawn during Obama's speech.
Here is HD video: https://twitter.com/RT_America

Offline Wiz

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
I watched the interview last night and also this morning and find it very interesting and good interview.

Putin was calm and relaxed and obviously has acquired the experience how to come across likeable. I do not think I have missed any of the sliced irritating episodes....... but that is America for you.

Just noticed Andrews post and tried to watch Obama.... but his style and voice staccato..... makes me want to puke, not a consummate orator .

BTW I had a look around the BBC earlier..... and no mentioned of the interview.... any where.

So the Zionist Bastion of truth ......... forgot to mention such an important interview.

Obviously the Jewish Governors of the BBC,  do not want us to hear what he has to say.........

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Yes, for one supposed to be a great orator Obama did not come across at all well. Was he nervous, or simply uncomfortable with his material? Dunno, but it was not good.

As for watching the Putin speech, that was not easy to find. RTAmerica ballsed up the translations so the English channel was showing the Russian feed. I ended up on the RT.com site. The UN interpreter, the woman, she was not very good. RT's bloke was pretty good.

The speech covered the right areas, made the right noises and, as is often the case with Putin's speeches, it served to underline actions already taken rather than talk about airy fairy future stuff - so, although he talked up proposals for working together through the UN on matter such as the environment, the stuff everybody was there to see was about Syria and there it was a confirmation of what we already know - the actions of the past two weeks have changed the way that the world's leaders look at Syria and ISIS.

This was another exhibition of 'we don't say much, but when we say it we do it'. Or, as they used to say in Victorian days: Russia has been busy suiting word to deed.
That was much less evident in the Obama speech which seemed to be about justification of past mistakes and handing around blame.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Here's Putin's speech to the UN this afternoon. This is not a transcript but the version prepared before the event and so might differ slightly from the actual words delivered.

http://gadebate.un.org/sites/default/files/gastatements/70/70_RU_EN.pdf

For those who prefer to not read here is the audio in all sorts of languages:
http://gadebate.un.org/70/russian-federation

I never thought of Obama as Maureen O'Hara, but somebody did!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »
Putin's 'lecture' at the UN is worthy of a new thread...

Personally, I agree with much that Ruth Sherlock - the US Editor of the UK's Telegraph  - writes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11897647/The-White-House-has-long-stopped-trying-to-remove-Assad-from-power.html

'We' have abandoned many Syrians, simply because an even worse threat to peaceful existence has evolved.

Assad should be standing trial for crimes inflicted on his people - not being 'supported'.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 02:22:36 AM »
Personally, I agree with much that Ruth Sherlock - the US Editor of the UK's Telegraph  - writes

Assad should be standing trial for crimes inflicted on his people - not being 'supported'.
I agree with almost nothing written down. It is civil war down there, civilians against government. We [as in the west] should stay out of it.

Clearly Assad wasn't on the winning side and he decided to bomb his opponents. Just like Kiev is doing now.

Unfortunately, ISIS is a bigger threat and removing it is more pressing than removing Assad. However removing assad is also not a solution because warlords will stand up and claim victory, as demonstrated with ISIS.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 05:28:06 AM »
Putin's 'lecture' at the UN is worthy of a new thread...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11897647/The-White-House-has-long-stopped-trying-to-remove-Assad-from-power.html

'We' have abandoned many Syrians, simply because an even worse threat to peaceful existence has evolved.

Right Fascist Newpaper....... and nothing more.

With that out of the way let's go to a serious subject.... and do not push your luck...... (Andrewfi would love to read certain comments of yours but I am not a "Malakas" like you!) with your obsession of trolling and presenting lies. You can continue barking, as long as you like but the facts remain the same and the truth always comes out!

The word DEMOCRACY, is a Greek Ancient word and nobody can understand or know its correct meaning, if he/she is not fluent in Greek, more over in Ancien Greek language.

So you, your Masters and the Monkey from over the pond cannot talk about such ideals ...... The word "Democracy" derives from the word "ΔΗΜΟΣ" (DEMOS) Meaning the people. The Super power and its puddle do not know any other way how to "Democratise other poor Nations" than the rule of gun Politics! Does that remind you of your Empire past? Those days are over.

According to the UN charter, (go and read it) the people of Crimea had the right to hold a referendum for self determination, they did and choose to join motherland Russia. (read the history).  CRIMEA was a Greek colony, (the ancient Greeks were the first to name the region Taurica or Tauris), became part of the Ottoman empire and in 1983 was acquired by Russia, after defeating the Turks, following the suggestion of the British Empire. READ MORE HERE

Kossovo on the other hand did not  follow the legal avenue ...... because they did not comply to the terms of the charter for self determination ...... so Clinton and it NATO allies bombed the Serbians out of their territory, destroyed Yugoslavia, keeping Germany happy for destroying the "Silk Road", and the US and UK recognised the illegal referendum and twisted the arm of many other nations to recognise too. When ever the US and the UK cannot pass a resolution in the UN .... they use NATO to do their dirty work. See Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and so many other countries. So wherever they tried to impose "Western Values and Democracy" they created complete destruction of the country, millions of dead and destitute people etc.

Unfortunately some little short bagger, with atomic arsenal in his hands, has destroyed all their plans for Crimea and Ukraine and lately in Syria, the last remaining victim that they have been trying to democratise for few years. That little bagger, a Dictator in his country with an 85 % approval of its people (See the CBS interview) has managed the impossible against the SUPERPOWER, culminating with last night' speeches in the UN.

So it is ....

GAME (Crimea) - SET (Iran) - (and last night in the UN ) MATCH (Syria)!

:dh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »
It is civil war down there, civilians against government. We [as in the west] should stay out of it.

Ah, let's stand by and do nothing .... That worked out well in places like Sarajevo and Srebrenitsa...   

Clearly Assad wasn't on the winning side and he decided to bomb his opponents. Just like Kiev is doing now.

Ah, yes, that 'ol chestnut ... Kyiv can't respond like Moscow did - big style - in Grozny..

Unfortunately, ISIS is a bigger threat and removing it is more pressing than removing Assad. However removing assad is also not a solution because warlords will stand up and claim victory, as demonstrated with ISIS.

So, you are in favour leaving a dictator in charge because fear of the regime brings 'stability' ..

If 'we' could put aside our national interest aims - like keeping one's bases intact - we might get both ..

This is what happens when a US President is a 'lame duck' in political terms...

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »

Right Fascist Newpaper....... and nothing more.

Well, we can now see you didn't read the article .. it wasn't fawning to US foreign policy in the style certain posters - that includes you - might suggest ..

With that out of the way let's go to a serious subject.... and do not push your luck...... Andrewfi would love to read certain comments of yours but I am not a "Malakas" like you!)

I am most certainly a ''Malakas'' at the mo, Wiz... such are the joys of enforced absences  :chuckle: But what has my sexual frustration got to do with andrewfi ?..Spit out your dummy and speak your mind.

with your obsession of trolling and presenting lies.

I didn't write Putin's speech .

You can continue barking, as long as you like but the facts remain the same and the truth always comes out!

What 'truth'..  ? Your 'truth' is that we are all controlled by Zionists who even run the BBC  :laugh:

The word DEMOCRACY, is a Greek Ancient word and nobody can understand or know its correct meaning, if he/she is not fluent in Greek, more over in Ancien Greek language

So you, your Masters and the Monkey from over the pond cannot talk about such ideals ...... The word "Democracy" derives from the word "ΔΗΜΟΣ" (DEMOS) Meaning the people. The Super power and its puddle do not know any other way how to "Democratise other poor Nations" than the rule of gun Politics! Does that remind you of your Empire past? Those days are over.

No more so than a former Spook who is earning nicely at the expense of his people while ensuring 'democracy' means no opposition and controlling the national TV stations...  But thanks for the reminder..

According to the UN charter, (go and read it) the people of Crimea had the right to hold a referendum for self determination, they did and choose to join motherland Russia. (read the history).  CRIMEA was a Greek colony, (the ancient Greeks were the first to name the region Taurica or Tauris), became part of the Ottoman empire and in 1983 was acquired by Russia, after defeating the Turks, following the suggestion of the British Empire.

Wiz, prior to your return from exile, I patiently explained to those who were interested the influence of the Greeks in the region- specifically the Pontian Greeks - who were given Greek passports when the USSR fell apart and were treated like excrement by many Greeks and Cypriots..

However, Crimea ended up as part of the Ottoman Empire and then the Russian Empire... As you'll know, only one of those chose to oppress and ethnically cleanse the indigenous Tatars...  importing / planting Russians...

I am aware of the UN Charter and also aware of the part that mentions that third nations physically interfering in the affairs of their neighbours - circumstances of which precluded the 'referendum'  Could that be the reason the UN voted 100 -11, and 13-1 - only the 'villain of the peace' using it's veto  - stopped Ukraine's plea being the UN's message being a 'must comply'

Thanks for reminding us of the strength of revulsion for the action.

Kossovo on the other hand did not  follow the legal avenue ...... because they did not comply to the terms of the charter for self determination ...... so Clinton and it NATO allies bombed the Serbians out of their territory, destroyed Yugoslavia

Your version of 'history' ignores the fact that Kosovo sought independence and the bombing by NATO was a last resort action to stop Milosovic from killing 'Yugoslavs' - for seeking to be free of Serb rule.

Unlike you, I have been to both Kosovo and Abkhazia - Russia's 'answer' for Kosovo's recognition. I like to see things for myself, instead of allowing the 'mantra' of one particular viewpoint clouding my judgement..

See Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and so many other countries. So wherever they tried to impose "Western Values and Democracy" they created complete destruction of the country, millions of dead and destitute people etc.

Yup, another leave 'em to it ... better the devil we know, apologist ....

Unfortunately some little short bagger, with atomic arsenal in his hands, has destroyed all their plans for Crimea and Ukraine and lately in Syria, the last remaining victim that they have been trying to democratise for few years. That little bagger, a Dictator in his country with an 85 % approval of its people (See the CBS interview) has managed the impossible against the SUPERPOWER, culminating with last night' speeches in the UN.

Wonderful, Wiz - you just explained why Ukraine might be regarded as having been unwise to give up her Nukes and become non-aligned and explained why stopping the likes of the Taliban from exercising control and possibly destabilising Pakistan - gaining control of Nukes - was necessary ...

Always glad to debate with you :chuckle:

Crimea , Iran - and last night in the UN  (Syria) 'game set and match' !

This -I hope - demonstrates who is a 'troll' .... I see people ending up as refugees as a lose, lose... :coffeeread:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 06:51:22 AM »
Ah, let's stand by and do nothing .... That worked out well in places like Sarajevo and Srebrenitsa...   
You can't compare that to Syria, other than that the muzzies started the fight [as usual] There is no resemblance whatsoever.

So, you are in favour leaving a dictator in charge because fear of the regime brings 'stability' ..
No I am in favor of letting a country decide who its leadership is, instead of us barging in and doing more harm than good.

Look at Iraq, look at Afganistan, look at Egypt. Wonderful enlightened places since we stuck our arm in and removed the leaders.
OO===[][]===OO

Online cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 08:22:52 AM »
Egypt, Syria, West bank, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Tunisia, Eritrea, Somalia, greater Boko Haramia, Pan Arab "Spring" Sahara North Mid and South are all the way the Global elites want them to be as the more they are in Chaos the more afro and arab islamist refugees migrate to Europa the more Chaos and ISIS terror is spread the less resources and energy are available to wipe Israel off the map at least for the time being.

Rampant antisemitism across greater Europa has now been replaced by absolute panic at the 3 Million+ military aged and sexually energetic Islamist Allahu Wahkbars invading with promises of two blonde women each in the here and now so why wait for 69 virgins in paradise?

No more rampant European Anti Semitism and no more 3 Million+ Military Aged Islamist Warriors poised to invade Israel.

Yin and Yang in total balance.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »

You can't compare that to Syria, other than that the muzzies started the fight [as usual] There is no resemblance whatsoever.

Wow, history  - as most know it  - is being re-written. Kindly, point out to me how followers of Islam 'kicked' off the last Balkan crisis... are you getting mixed up with WW1  ?

No I am in favor of letting a country decide who its leadership is, instead of us barging in and doing more harm than good.

Fine, so based on your premise - Russia had what 'right' to remove the Republic of Crimea Prime Minister, take control of TV / radio stations and surround Ukraine Military bases, THEN hold a 'referendum'  ?

Look at Iraq, look at Afganistan, look at Egypt. Wonderful enlightened places since we stuck our arm in and removed the leaders.

Iraq.. the idiot -Saddam Hussain - was told by Hans BliX to stop boasting he had WMD

Afghanistan.. I'm sure most young ladies who are now 'allowed' to be educated might think differently .. The problem is what happens when the help leaves ... as the unfortunate residents of Kunduz will now.

Egypt. ..  I don't remember when the west sent force to remove a leader... enlighten me

Online cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:19 AM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/28/putin_to_un_america_is_destroying_the_world_and_only_we_can_stop_it.html?ref=yfp

Article makes some thought provoking points...

Considering the Obamunists have forced all 250 of the senior US Admirals and Generals to retire in favor of LGBTQ sensitivity trained modern thinking Politically Correct military leaders and the Obamunists managed to spend $500 million USD on a New Syrian Resistance Army of which only 4 or 5 troops are still in the fight or more likely dead and all the rest surrendered their weapons to Al Qaeda or ISIS forces...  Congress was dumb founded... $500 Million to train 5 fighters. WTF?

The Politically Correct yet completely incompetent Obamunistas would have done better by paying a $1 Million USD bonus each to retire the top 500 islamist militia leaders to Riyahd or Mecca to relax with their 4 wives each.

Obamas wannabee tough Chicago ghetto ego just can not envision being out played but V. Putin who he compares to Stalin and who is the only world leader who knows how to pacify muslim Oblasts and rebellious regions.