The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Quality of Food in Russia and the FSU  (Read 8718 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Quality of Food in Russia and the FSU
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »
Markje..have you been to Russia?... You know the parts most nations recognise as actually being Russia..

Yes.

Well then, I find you comments - particularly about the food  - surprising...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline WestCoast

Re: Quality of Food in Russia and the FSU
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
I must have missed the news from Putin on how many Syrian refugees Russia is taking. After all Syria has been a Russian client state for years. With a declining or at best not increasing population Russia needs workers to provide for the future.

Surely if Canada can take 10,000 Syrians then Russia with 4 times the population and more than twice the land mass, can take 50,000.

Russia welcomed the Syrians with open arms (Both putin and lavrov stated so) , but the Syrians interviewed said they are not interested and headed to mostly north-west europe.

Markje where did you find  this information that Putin and Lavrov offered Syrian refugees safe haven in Russia? I couldn't find anything via Google, at least in English. I also searched RUA's media of record RT.com for any information about Putin's gesture towards Syrian refugees and found nothing going back 3 months.

In some ways I can understand Syrian refugees not wanting to go to Russia, who does want to go to Russia? If someone has the choice between Germany and Russia or the UK and Russia or the Netherlands and Russia or Canada and Russia, the western countries are going to be their choice 999/1000.

After I read a recent article about boxer Roy Jones Jr. asking for and being given Russian citizenship by Putin I decided there are westerners crazy enough to want to live in Russia even if they have the chance to live in the west. Although I somehow doubt Jones will be giving up his homes in the west to permanently move to Russia, even he can't be that crazy.  :laugh: 

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:44:16 AM »
Markje where did you find  this information that Putin and Lavrov offered Syrian refugees safe haven in Russia? I couldn't find anything via Google, at least in English. I also searched RUA's media of record RT.com for any information about Putin's gesture towards Syrian refugees and found nothing going back 3 months.

here

Looks like the word 'f-u-c-k' is even replaced when its part of the URL. Lame.

Unfortunately, that article also doesn't quote putin directly, but it does quote 'Konstantin Romodanovski' the head of the Russian immigration bureau. Perhaps googling on his name will get you more results.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 01:47:23 AM »
Well then, I find you comments - particularly about the food  - surprising...
Food is good, if you have money.

I somehow doubt that those refugees will eat in restaurants in Moscow.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:42:12 AM »

Markje, you referred to 'crap housing' and 'meagre food' ..

I didn't / don't  find the food meagre.. apart from the lack of certain cheeses that I can live without  :chuckle:

I think my reasoning - in the case of Syrians - was far more accurate  :chuckle:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:17:46 AM »

Markje, you referred to 'crap housing' and 'meagre food' ..

I didn't / don't  find the food meagre.. apart from the lack of certain cheeses that I can live without  :chuckle:

I think my reasoning - in the case of Syrians - was far more accurate  :chuckle:
Apparently, You are more easily satisfied than I am.

I can't order half of what I want when in Russia, nor buy it in supermarkets.

Just try to have good cow-meat dishes in Crimea (steak, whatever.).

Although they do wonders with pig-meat (Shaslick, Borsh) , you know how thats a nono in Islam.

OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/GMPCityCentre/status/646300126361821185

Sorry Manny, your city sucks so bad, even the immigrants want to flee  :king:
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:36:35 AM »
Markje, you have most recently stayed in CRIMEA ..which is not connected by land to Russia.

I can assure you that most foodstuffs are available.. the ban on EU based products was not being respected.... hence the 'fuss' on Russian TV News and the  hilarious need to show such foodstuffs being destroyed.. search frozen Lithuanian Geese seized and destroyed...

As there are plenty of Islamic ..11 percent?..Russians access to their form of slaughtered meat is not a problem.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 04:29:22 AM »
Markje, you have most recently stayed in CRIMEA ..which is not connected by land to Russia.
It was just an example, I have also been to Kharkov, Kiev, St. Petersburg and Moscow (although st. pete is not really recent anymore.). Try to get a good steak... or any of the more exotic bread types like 'Waldkorn dunkel' which is from Germany.

Cheese, bread, cow-meat, milk to name but a few, are severly under-represented in Russia.

In Netherlands, I can get milk with banana, strawberry, blackberry and other flavors. In Russia those are only with drink-yoghurts or activia/danoontje. But normal milk? nope. Milk and Chocolate-milk is all they have.

Other sausages like Salami are also in just a few flavors, whereas in Netherlands you can buy wine, hungarian, spanish, italian, Austrian and many other variants/tastes of Salami. In Russia however, there is 'salami'. 1 type.

The only thing I will agree upon which Russia has covered well is Sushi, raw fish-food. They are available in almost all cities and of good quality too, although I'm sure Japanese might disagree but in Europe they are almost the same as in Russia.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 04:37:13 AM »
Hi Markje, apart from a Moscow airport when were you ...recently.. in a part of Russia your govt. recognises as being Russia?

I simply do not recognise these issues having shopped in Sochi's markets or chain supermarkets..

This is certainly not a reason for a Syrian refugee family choosing another state over Russia

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »
Hi Markje, apart from a Moscow airport when were you ...recently.. in a part of Russia your govt. recognises as being Russia?

I simply do not recognise these issues having shopped in Sochi's markets or chain supermarkets..

This is certainly not a reason for a Syrian refugee family choosing another state over Russia
The no-money or 800/month in Euro might also have something todo with it.

Next time you are in sochi, won't you photograph me a picture of some hungarian salami, waldkorn dunkel bread and banana-flavored milk (not yoghurt) and I may change my mind.

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi201051/soma-waldkorn-tarwe-roggebrood
http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi121583/campina-fruitmelk-banaan
http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi369060/ah-excellent-hongaarse-salami

Or for laughter, try living a gluten-free diet in Russia.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
I know what Mark means. Finding decent steak can be a challenge, skimmed milk too, organic stuff, decent brown bread, Indian food, Chinese food, etc. Yes you can find stuff that is alright, but only what the local market is used to. Which, generally speaking isn't terribly adventurous or as diverse as we are used to.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
I know what Mark means. Finding decent steak can be a challenge, skimmed milk too, organic stuff, decent brown bread, Indian food, Chinese food, etc. Yes you can find stuff that is alright, but only what the local market is used to. Which, generally speaking isn't terribly adventurous or as diverse as we are used to.

The same here, one reason why I fill my larder with comestibles from the UK. Matters are improving and there are some shops that can supply stuff that is not available elsewhere. That said those 'rare' items are rarely fresh produce and they cost prices that mean the main buyers are embassy staff, expats living in their bubbles and a very few wealthy locals. That means outside of Tallinn one can forget all the nice stuff - but we can now get cheddar cheese in many supermarkets, even though it is often from Latvia. Stilton is available from just one shop and only at Christmas.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
Guys! When was the last time any of you were in a Russian supermarket? They have steaks from Argentina and other BRICS and former CIS nations.. skimmed milk..and bakeries that make good darker breads..you've just gotta try..

Sure you won't find so many Indian or Chinese restaurants...But they ARE to be found..

AGAIN.. how will this explain the lack of interest in refugees wanting to seek refuge in the RF ?!

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
Guys! When was the last time any of you were in a Russian supermarket?

2013. Before sanctions.

They have steaks from Argentina and other BRICS and former CIS nations.. skimmed milk..and bakeries that make good darker breads..you've just gotta try..

What you mean is you must trawl around - this stuff isn't everywhere. Someone as tenacious as you might find anything anywhere eventually.

Sure you won't find so many Indian or Chinese restaurants...But they ARE to be found..

I didnt necessarily mean restaurants - but the ones that are there are usually crap. Same as they haven't grasped pizza yet (they put dill on it for gods sake, use the wrong cheese and frozen bases).

I was referring more to ingredients to make that food. Nice noodles, decent basmati rice, chili peppers, hot sauces, etc. Just as a few examples.

Yes, I am sure if you look hard enough, or are in central Moscow, this stuff can be found somewhere. Point being it isn't readily available as it isn't commonly eaten. In the same way you wont find readily Brit style bacon, brown sauce, Branston, Marmite etc. MIL says she cant find cornflakes - wifey takes them.

But you being you will no doubt assure us that Russian shops are brimming over with Eccles cakes, crumpets, HP sauce, Black Farmer bacon, Aberdeen Angus steaks, stilton, malt loaf and the full Duchy range.  :chuckle:

I do prefer the Я orange juice to Tropicana though. Some stuff is a decent substitute.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
)))  naturally, Brit stuff such as Brown sauce is bring your own..But you don't have to be tenacious to find good alternatives ..example ..Pizza is BORING after trying Hachapuri.

I refer to a city of 400k..NOT Moscow..but it is a resort with cosmopolitan variety.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »
But you don't have to be tenacious to find good alternatives ..example ..Pizza is BORING after trying Hachapuri.

I prefer a madras to plov to be honest. Plov was about the spiciest thing I tried in Russia. I take my own chili sauce now to put on shashlik.

Not long after I first met wifey, I tooled up one day in Russia with a wok, chopsticks, and all the ingredients I needed to knock up a decent Chinese stir fry.  :king:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Plov is not generally spicy.... Adijka.... might be more up your street on your Shashlik .

Many former s.USSR dishes aren't far removed from N.Indian cuisine.

As I remember you aren't a risk taker re trying new things .. ))

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
But you don't have to be tenacious to find good alternatives ..example ..Pizza is BORING after trying Hachapuri.

I prefer a madras to plov to be honest. Plov was about the spiciest thing I tried in Russia. I take my own chili sauce now to put on shashlik.

Not long after I first met wifey, I tooled up one day in Russia with a wok, chopsticks, and all the ingredients I needed to knock up a decent Chinese stir fry.  :king:

This is me all over! Cooking a Thai curry for my girl this weekend when I visit her!

What was the reaction? Did you cook for the whole family or just wife?

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »
Sorry guys, but quality steaks are easy to find in Moscow. Beef from Argentina, and Australia all day long to boot. You can even have it delivered to your door.

There are shops around Moscow that offer up anything you want, although I will admit that some of the imported specialty items are a little harder to find these days, but most of those hard to find items wren't that popular to begin with. And yes they have gluten free products. Really, where do some of you get your information from, WestCoast? :chuckle:

I just bought a nice chunk of parmesan (from Italy) on Saturday, although I can tell you you won't find your average Russians splurging on it considering the price

Just a little skinny on the steaks in Russia. Some of the best beef to be had nowadays in Russia is being ranched in and around Voronezh, Augus beef to be exact. I don't know exactly when, but maybe 6-7 years ago Russia started recruiting ranchers from Australia, Canada, America, and Japan to revitalize the industry, which was basically destroyed going back to Stalin's days.

http://zarechnoe.ru/en .This is the link in English for you nonbelievers. (:) I can assure you the steaks are easily on par with anything raised in the West.

Stalin left the industry for dead and what was left to eat were mostly jersey cows. Great for dairy products, but a little tough on the teeth :chuckle:. If anyone wants to try some on your next trip to Moscow, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Just  make sure you're staying for more than a couple of hours :).
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »
My local Supermarket ( Okay) has good Australian and Argentinian beef and plenty of quality food. Even recently seen a large range of "Dorset Cereals" and its funny seeing the box printed in Russian , the only English text saying "Manufactured in Dorchester  UK" Just up the road from my old home in the UK made me smile.

But to be honest when your living in another country I don't see what all the fuss is about not being able to purchase some foods from your home country.
A few years ago we were in Yalta on holiday , I remember an old couple coming up to me in the street, the women was complaining about not being able to buy some Cornflakes, yes really! They had just stopped over the night on their yacht.
I just thought to myself "Pathetic women! Don't stop in Yalta then"

I often see in expat forums members complaining they cannot find a certain cheese or something. Well how sad a life can you lead if that is all you have to worry about :fighting0025:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
What was the reaction? Did you cook for the whole family or just wife?

Just her - great reaction.  :nod:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »
It is a funny thing. I first moved away from the UK in 1998, so I have been at this for a while now. ;)

There are certain things that carry reminiscences, not even on a conscious level. Kinda like most of us from the UK like a cup of creamy tomato or chicken soup when we have a cold (OK, well I do!).
I miss having a decent curry (and a home made curry is probably better quality than one gets from the high street takeaway but home made isn't the same!)

No, I will never throw a maamaa fit because I can't get cornflakes on an overnighter in a new country, but I was dead happy to be able to buy Cathedral City Cheddar cheese over here.

But, also, I quite like knocking up a cheap, quick, but tasty meal with cook-in sauces - I am not a real cook. Here we have some of them but they are very expensive and the range is tiny. I can fill the boot of my car for a couple of hundred quid and have good things to cook for the next year. Most people can't do that. :)

Would I be sad if all the contents of my pantry went away overnight and I could buy nothing that ever had an English label on it? No, not a bit of it. But having those things makes life a little more pleasant and, frankly nicer - tonight I rustled up some chicken marinated by me a few days ago and served it with the contents of one of those microwave pouches of rice that are all the thing in the UK now - we don't have them here. My guest was dead happy and has now come to enjoy the gravies I make with my instant gravy granules. ;)

Tomorrow we will be on for a Balti dish and I will live with the complaints about the thing being too spicy - Sharwoods finest!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »
Sorry guys, but quality steaks are easy to find in Moscow. Beef from Argentina, and Australia all day long to boot. You can even have it delivered to your door.

There are shops around Moscow that offer up anything you want, although I will admit that some of the imported specialty items are a little harder to find these days, but most of those hard to find items wren't that popular to begin with. And yes they have gluten free products. Really, where do some of you get your information from, WestCoast? :chuckle:

I just bought a nice chunk of parmesan (from Italy) on Saturday, although I can tell you you won't find your average Russians splurging on it considering the price

Just a little skinny on the steaks in Russia. Some of the best beef to be had nowadays in Russia is being ranched in and around Voronezh, Augus beef to be exact. I don't know exactly when, but maybe 6-7 years ago Russia started recruiting ranchers from Australia, Canada, America, and Japan to revitalize the industry, which was basically destroyed going back to Stalin's days.

http://zarechnoe.ru/en .This is the link in English for you nonbelievers. (:) I can assure you the steaks are easily on par with anything raised in the West.

Stalin left the industry for dead and what was left to eat were mostly jersey cows. Great for dairy products, but a little tough on the teeth :chuckle:. If anyone wants to try some on your next trip to Moscow, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. Just  make sure you're staying for more than a couple of hours :).

Dan, I think nobody doubts that everything is available in Moscow. One would expect no less in a major European capital. When I was last there I wanted for nothing (I was invited there this week as it goes, but no bloody visa at such short notice without much exertion, a favour and a drive to London).

Moby's recent experiences have been in Sochi; mine around Togliatti, Samara and Ulyanovsk. Provinces compared to Moscow. But probably both typical of anywhere in Russia.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
)))  naturally, Brit stuff such as Brown sauce is bring your own..But you don't have to be tenacious to find good alternatives ..example ..Pizza is BORING after trying Hachapuri.

I refer to a city of 400k..NOT Moscow..but it is a resort with cosmopolitan variety.

Hmmm nice! my wife makes it quite often, it's always well received by me.
Слава Україні

Registration