The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Location of Znamensk  (Read 3148 times)

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
Location of Znamensk
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
Does anybody know the correct location of this town? Yes, I know it's in Russia. Some searches come up by Kaliningrad and others come up by Volgogrod? (hope I didn't misspell any city names)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Location of Znamensk
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
Does anybody know the correct location of this town? Yes, I know it's in Russia. Some searches come up by Kaliningrad and others come up by Volgogrod? (hope I didn't misspell any city names)

Russia's biggest search engine Yandex puts it near Volgograd.

Yandex maps
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline heijdenj

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »

As far as I can tell there are two places called Znamensk in Russia (Kaliningrad Oblast and Astrakhan Oblast, i.e. the one close to Volgograd). Additionally there is one in Kazakhstan. So it seems both options are possible.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
Tried searching under Знаменск..

I cannot find any new ones  :chuckle:

The one near Astrakhan Oblast - region - seems to be a 'closed' city ... Foreigners might have problems visiting ...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
It can happen in Russia that two places have different locations but the same name. You will not know for sure unless you ask what Oblast.

Komsomolsky is such an example, there are loads of them.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline bigdaddy71978

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »
Tatiana emailed me back it is by Volgograd. Thanks  :)

Offline bigdaddy71978

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
Need a quick reference, Russian Cell numbers +7 --- --- -- -- Is this correct number of spots for a Russian cell number? Reason I ask is Ira/Elena cells in Ukraine have more numbers?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »
Need a quick reference, Russian Cell numbers +7 --- --- -- -- Is this correct number of spots for a Russian cell number? Reason I ask is Ira/Elena cells in Ukraine have more numbers?
Why such short and specific questions? From my point of view it looks like a valid russian cell number.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline bigdaddy71978

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
Why such short and specific questions? From my point of view it looks like a valid russian cell number.

The reason I asked this specifically was because Tanya emailed me her number. Like I said, my friends Ira/Elena cell numbers are longer so I wasn't sure. I just tried calling Tanya but it said it was out of network coverage? Is this a fairly common thing in smaller towns/rural areas of Russia?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »

The reason I asked this specifically was because Tanya emailed me her number. Like I said, my friends Ira/Elena cell numbers are longer so I wasn't sure. I just tried calling Tanya but it said it was out of network coverage? Is this a fairly common thing in smaller towns/rural areas of Russia?
yes it is. That bothered me too when i was dating. Patience is the key
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:32:23 AM »

That's the correct - calling from abroad - format .. the next three digits may reveal which network and region the mobile is from.

If you see the format 8 xxx xxx xx-xx used - that's the internal format - used within Russia

Ukrainian mobile numbers are SHORTER - it is the extra two digits of the international country code that makes it appear longer - when dialling from outside Ukraine.... calling from abroad the format is +380 xx xxx xxxx

The first two xx may denote the mobile provider.

Calling to Ukraine mobiles and landlines normally costs more than Russian equivalents.. Belarus is horrendous - thanks to the kind regime refusing to reduce termination fees... and was an incentive for the  Belarus contingent for developing Viber.

''Out of network''  messages ? Time for sms / texts .. IF the lady becomes 'in' to you - she'll find a way to keep in touch - or let you know when she'll be off the grid.
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:52:25 AM »
''Out of network''  messages ? Time for sms / texts .. IF the lady becomes 'in' to you - she'll find a way to keep in touch - or let you know when she'll be off the grid.
Still using sms, also be wary that some of them will 'dissappear' even with positive-delivery report turned on. I asked my Dutch mobile provider about that and they refunded my 'sms' , but it never became clear what happened.
OO===[][]===OO

Registration