The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: wiring an electric plug in Russia  (Read 13916 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: wiring an electric plug in Russia
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
I added a 220v outlet for my clothes dryer four years ago and I'm still alive and the house hasn't burned down. :-))) In my first marriage we bought a huge Victorian that had wires and pipes that led to nowhere, Manny. It's crazy how they tried to fit things into those old big houses. As part of closing we had the seller rip out and replace all that crap. It was a buyers market :-)

I heard of 220v outlets in the US before, but I think they are not common? What were they typically used for?

Clothes dryers, Electric Stoves (Ovens). Water Heaters and Central Air Conditioning have 220V direct lines (no outlet).

Is that pretty universal or just in older houses?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Boris

« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
I added a 220v outlet for my clothes dryer four years ago and I'm still alive and the house hasn't burned down. :-))) In my first marriage we bought a huge Victorian that had wires and pipes that led to nowhere, Manny. It's crazy how they tried to fit things into those old big houses. As part of closing we had the seller rip out and replace all that crap. It was a buyers market :-)

I heard of 220v outlets in the US before, but I think they are not common? What were they typically used for?

Clothes dryers, Electric Stoves (Ovens). Water Heaters and Central Air Conditioning have 220V direct lines (no outlet).

Universal, as far as I know. Washing machines, home fridges and other appliances are 110V.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »

Universal, as far as I know. Washing machines, home fridges and other appliances are 110V.
Might be similar to the appliances (induction stove for example) we have here. Some require 380V if I recall correctly and they use 2x 220V for that ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:30 AM »

The Yanks typically have centre tapped transformers which allows 110/240ish from the same supply. All those 2 pin pronged plug sockets run at half the Voltage and the power thirsty appliances such as ovens (and generally items that produce heat) run at the higher voltage.

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2015, 12:14:11 AM »

Might be similar to the appliances (induction stove for example) we have here. Some require 380V if I recall correctly and they use 2x 220V for that ;-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities

The 380/400v generally requires a 3 phase supply which is uncommon in most domestic properties Some countries such as Switzerland do differ. You may have 3 phase in your home in NL?

In a situation where you have 2 terminals in a hob or oven but a single phase supply typically the manufacturer will provide a link piece of copper to join them up so they run off your 220/240 supply.

This allows the manufacturer to produce 1 unit for sale across all of Europe.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »
11 pages when all you had to do is ask the "old" retired gent in the complex (or nearby) to do it for 3-500 rubles.

I tried wiring some new switches my landlord gave me to replace the old ones only to find that the switches were different than the ones I was replacing (thought i'd just put them in simply by duplicating the wiring process :chuckle:).

After a few failed attempts, and not wanting to risk bodily harm :), I called a pensioner I had met shortly after I moved into my complex. Not only did he charge me just 300 ru., he enjoyed having something to do and feeling useful, and having someone to talk to, not to mention his feeling of superiority over "helpless" me :laugh:.

Even when I have simple jobs around the flat that I can easily handle, I'll called him to take care of it. At his pension, his fee and age, it's a win-win all around for all concerned.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2015, 04:03:21 AM »
11 pages when all you had to do is ask the "old" retired gent in the complex (or nearby) to do it for 3-500 rubles.

+100

That's what i used to do  :)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2015, 04:26:10 AM »

I tried wiring some new switches my landlord gave me to replace the old ones only to find that the switches were different than the ones I was replacing (thought i'd just put them in simply by duplicating the wiring process :chuckle:).

After a few failed attempts, and not wanting to risk bodily harm :), I called a pensioner I had met shortly after I moved into my complex. Not only did he charge me just 300 ru., he enjoyed having something to do and feeling useful, and having someone to talk to, not to mention his feeling of superiority over "helpless" me :laugh:.

Even when I have simple jobs around the flat that I can easily handle, I'll called him to take care of it. At his pension, his fee and age, it's a win-win all around for all concerned.
Seeing the quality of work from the "locals", I prefer them not to touch things that concerns my safety ;) First hand experience at my MIL: Cable was split and twisted together, insulated with Tesa to make a branch. Connecting a too powerful device could easily lead to a short circuit and fire. No thanks ;) Other experience was floor heating which should be connected in parallel according tot the instructions, however the helpful neighbor thought that wasn't necessary. I rewired it properly after he was gone :P

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2015, 04:35:40 AM »
Never had  problem in 11 years, even at first when the guys I called (masters) would show up drunk. The pensioners that help maintain buildings here are well versed in plumbing, electrical, etc., IMO, and are often asked for assistance by most of the building tenants. I'm not talking about pulling some "old" guy out of his daily slumber, or the "helpful" neighbor.

Your situation seemed to call for a more experienced person.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline cdnexpat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »
It seems the situation is the same here, in the Stans. Russian masters do all the wiring, and it is poorly done. The floor main switch room is a real mess, and only one breaker is used for the whole flat. It would probably never trip, in case of a short or fire. Earth protection is inexistent, and the electricians do not understand it anyway. :'(
I had to ground a few appliances myself, so that it got done.

Registration