The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Return to Kiev  (Read 27817 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Return to Kiev
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 03:43:09 AM »
Ste this must be really new as I flew internally on a different airline -UTAIR - and the ban was only only drinking your own booze  :chuckle:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »
The DS household is in chaos, chemadans being packed and unpacked in the vain hope of squeezing just that little bit more in.
I shake my head and keep well out of the way.  :hidechair:

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »

Men's tactic to avoid doing the actual work, while inducing guilty trips on everyone else!  :GRRRR:

if seriously, i know the frustration - you personally really need so many things, then you want to bring more things your family there does need, THEN gifts... and weight limits are painfully low and strict (AND extra luggage usually quite expensive) :duh:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »

Men's tactic to avoid doing the actual work, while inducing guilty trips on everyone else!  :GRRRR:

if seriously, i know the frustration - you personally really need so many things, then you want to bring more things your family there does need, THEN gifts... and weight limits are painfully low and strict (AND extra luggage usually quite expensive) :duh:
Well, if I try and suggest some practical( manly) ways to pack it would result in a very FSUW meltdown lol, hence my escape.
Would you believe about 5kg of lemon curd is being packed. :'(

Offline cdnexpat

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 11:20:59 AM »

Well, if I try and suggest some practical( manly) ways to pack it would result in a very FSUW meltdown lol, hence my escape.

My FSU wife starts packing when we request a visa. She is mostly done when I buy the tickets. But she repacks almost everyday, until departure. Very confusing!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:28 AM »

I would  (:) we take various assortments of cheese, including stilton that I have got the outlaws craving for now, tends to be quite a few Kg's, plus numerous other edible treats. Having said that, 5Kg of lemon curd is a bit OTT, does someone over there have a craving for it?  :chuckle:

Tell Olga no one needs that much lemon curd, unless she is starting a local farmers market of her own  :chuckle: 

PS hope you all have a good time, I bet the girls and your lad can't wait.
Слава Україні

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
a very FSUW meltdown lol,

I occasionally resort to those, they are the most effective tool in existence  ;D

My dear friend, you are talking to a woman who is known to fetch up to 13 kg of borodinsky bread, kvas powder, herring, basmati rice, buckwheat etc. on the way out of FSU AND even more kg of cheeses, olive oil, wine, sweets and cakes, turkish coffee, pastrami and pittas on her way there ;)

My FSU wife starts packing when we request a visa. She is mostly done when I buy the tickets. But she repacks almost everyday, until departure. Very confusing!

Au contraire! It's the only way to pack!!!  :GRRRR:

I would  (:) we take various assortments of cheese, including stilton that I have got the outlaws craving for now, tends to be quite a few Kg's, plus numerous other edible treats.

:thumbsup: :laugh:
Douglas Adams

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »

I would  (:) we take various assortments of cheese, including stilton that I have got the outlaws craving for now, tends to be quite a few Kg's, plus numerous other edible treats. Having said that, 5Kg of lemon curd is a bit OTT, does someone over there have a craving for it?  :chuckle:

Tell Olga no one needs that much lemon curd, unless she is starting a local farmers market of her own  :chuckle: 

Cheers Chris.

Yes, we are doing the cheeses too.
It's my MIL whose developed a taste for lemon curd plus some gets distributed to her circle of friends/colleagues, hence the 5 kgs, sigh.
Kids are all mega hyper. Last day at school tomorrow, well they're skippibg the last day as will be travelling.

Offline Chris

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »

Cheers Chris.

Yes, we are doing the cheeses too.
It's my MIL whose developed a taste for lemon curd plus some gets distributed to her circle of friends/colleagues, hence the 5 kgs, sigh.
Kids are all mega hyper. Last day at school tomorrow, well they're skippibg the last day as will be travelling.

:-X  don't be admitting to that these days, they will be waiting to arrest you at the airport   :)
Слава Україні

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:49 PM »
:-X  don't be admitting to that these days, they will be waiting to arrest you at the airport   :)

Oy vey... Chris, are child protective services in UK like that too?  :(
Douglas Adams

Offline Chris

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »

They don't like you taking kids out of school except during school holidays these days, in fact they can fine you for it, even if it's only a day, in the past we have managed to get the school to allow us to take our daughter out by asking the head teacher, because her attendance is always in the high 90%'s but even ours (no matter what her attendance is like) are getting a bit silly about that now.
Слава Україні

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

They don't like you taking kids out of school except during school holidays these days, in fact they can fine you for it, even if it's only a day, in the past we have managed to get the school to allow us to take our daughter out by asking the head teacher, because her attendance is always in the high 90%'s but even ours (no matter what her attendance is like) are getting a bit silly about that now.
Haven't had any problem so far. Our head is sensible about stuff like this.The PC brigade are held at bay in our school and common sense still prevails.

Offline Chris

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »

Haven't had any problem so far. Our head is sensible about stuff like this.The PC brigade are held at bay in our school and common sense still prevails.

Maybe because it's a Junior school, they do tend to get a bit more uppity the older the child(ren) get.
Слава Україні

Online sparky114

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Mango Chutney/ HP sauce/ Branston pickle seems to be a regular on the list with lemon Curd too, PG tips is always a must as i dont care what anyone say liptons or Greenfields is not English tea,  (:)

Yes the cheases always go brie /Camembert seem to be regulars mostly requested.

This time i am taking a "Rip Curl" cabin bag that someone cant get for a decent price in Russia, and also on the list this time is a built in 15cm wide 7 bottle Wine fridge to be fitted in our Ikea  kitchen  :laugh:

The good thing about having a house over there is that i dont need to take many clothes as what i need is mostly there
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Chris

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
Mango Chutney/ HP sauce/ Branston pickle seems to be a regular on the list with lemon Curd too, PG tips is always a must as i dont care what anyone say liptons or Greenfields is not English tea,  (:)

Yes the cheases always go brie /Camembert seem to be regulars mostly requested.

This time i am taking a "Rip Curl" cabin bag that someone cant get for a decent price in Russia, and also on the list this time is a built in 15cm wide 7 bottle Wine fridge to be fitted in our Ikea  kitchen  :laugh:

The good thing about having a house over there is that i dont need to take many clothes as what i need is mostly there

My lot prefer Tetley tea, I guess if we had first given them Lidl's own brand we would be taking that over now instead, still better than theirs  :chuckle: and we also take drugs, lot's of them  (Beachams all in one etc)  :-X but we also bring lot's back too. (pills for stomachs, heads, sore throats you name it)  :-X  :-X  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »

This.

and we also take drugs, lot's of them  (Beachams all in one etc)  :-X but we also bring lot's back too. (pills for stomachs, heads, sore throats you name it)  :-X  :-X  :-X

And this too!  ;D

Douglas Adams

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
I agree with the packing it can be amusing to watch.
I just remind her of the weight and that its that much both ways (:)
Otherwise, I enjoy the performance.
WE went away for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago.
Should have seen the packing for that  :chuckle:

Then she asks what I need pack, thats even funnier.
I pack light most often. Seems the biggest ticket food wise
is natural, local maple syrup, can't haul enough of it.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »
If you like good tea, buy from here. It's run by an old friend of mine. For quality tea, I recommend it.

http://www.hampsteadtea.com

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
All bags packed and weighed,
Ready to go
Урааааааа.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Ready to go
Урааааааа.

:party0011: :party0011: :party0011:
Douglas Adams

Online sparky114

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »
Ready to go
Урааааааа.

Have Fun :)
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
Ready to go
Урааааааа.

Have Fun :)
Дякую  :)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
yes, you could do with chilling out  :chuckle:

Really, meeting family an friends over 'here' is a great part of the 'experience'
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 02:33:24 AM »
Ready to go
Урааааааа.

Have a great trip, I will be flying in 2 days as well.

Урааааааа.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
Re: Return to Kiev -Day 1
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
What a chaotic travel experience it has been.
As I mentioned in a previous post Mrs DS and children were travelling in the day, departing at 1220 hrs, while I and my son were catching the night flight to Kiev, departing at 2300 hrs.
We left at 0900 for the airport, a short trip of 60 miles, expecting to be at the airport for 1015. A few miles up the motorway, the South bound carriageway was shut, being used as a parking lot for lorries unable to travel across the channel due to ongoing migrant problems and strike action by the Frogs. I knew my return journey was going to be a long one.......
About 20 miles into our journey, traffic grinds to a halt, there has been an accident 3 exits ahead and the carriageway is closed, down to one lane.
For the next one a half hours we stew in this jam. I have a sinking feeling that the flight will be missed. There is much Whatsapping going on and I can see that Mrs DS is visibly upset. As time passes I warn her to prepare her for the worst. The girls overhear and the back seat is ringing to their wails and tears.
At about 1110 we finally clear the mess and I get the revs up and hit the gears, pedal to the metal. I have about 40 miles to go.
We get to the airport at 1140. 40 mins to departure. I don't know if it's enough time.
I try to park the car but it's the start of the holiday season and there's nary a place so I keep driving up the levels of the car park until I finally find a place.
We decamp from the car, post haste, I get a trolley for the load of baggage and we head for the lifts. The next life is fairly full but enough space for Mrs DS and kids so I tell her to head to the check in desk and I will follow with the bags. I get the next lift and run with the trolley to Zone E. There is a long queue. No sign of Mrs DS and the children Where could she be? I get in the queue and call her. It goes to answerphone.vA few minutes later I see her turn the corner. She had got off at the wrong level from the lift. Still, we are all at the desk and it is still open but nothing seems to be happening. We wait, it is now 1200. I ask what the problem is? ' Oh, the system is loading' comes the answer. Don't worry, you will get on the flight.
We finally get checked in at about 1215 and get the boarding passes. But wait, we have to take the buggy to Zone K to drop off.
As we leave the desk, 2 passengers who had checked a few minutes before, coming running back, distraught. They have been denied entry through security check.
The tension is palpable all around. The check in agent says he will take them. However, we have to drop this buggy off. So off we go. There is a man at Zone K who is completely uninterested in doing his job. I wonder at his origins and in my mind am screaming vile epithets at him and his mother.
I leave the buggy knowing that I will probably never set eyes on it again but I have other pressing matters to attend to....

Registration