The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Brits: Suggestions for changes to visa system for Russia?  (Read 9907 times)

Offline Wiz

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Brits: Suggestions for changes to visa system for Russia?
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
Maybe there will be some easing of Russian visa regulations soon  :)

Probably not for the UK though!

http://rbth.com/international/troika/2016/03/17/tight-security-or-tourist-dollars-russias-visa-dilemma_576681

Steve,

Much as I'm sorry to shock you ...but whilst I would [ personally ] find a less arduous visa process welcome - I don't think relaxing it would bring in the tourists...even though they are missing out..

Care to explain to us why?

On the other hand, why TUI, the largest tour operator in Europe, has moved to Russia and continue supporting its subsidiary company ?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-tui-travel-russia-idUKKCN0I422D20141015

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
Maybe there will be some easing of Russian visa regulations soon  :)

Probably not for the UK though!

http://rbth.com/international/troika/2016/03/17/tight-security-or-tourist-dollars-russias-visa-dilemma_576681

Steve,

Much as I'm sorry to shock you ...but whilst I would [ personally ] find a less arduous visa process welcome - I don't think relaxing it would bring in the tourists...even though they are missing out..

Are you kidding?

The Ruble is half of what it was 2 years ago and the visa system now involves a lot of ballache as you'll know.

Remove or reduce the ballache, Russia is more appealing now than ever for those who 'might' go now.

Sure, it'll not be as popular as other destinations within the EU but there will be an affect.

You recently enjoyed a free 15 day visa free visit to Vietnam yes? That was made available to several European countries to boost tourism numbers and tourist spending......
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online msmoby

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2016, 05:21:31 PM »

Read the article and see what happened with tourists from Korea.

Ok, I'll be specific... most folk I know won't go to Russia on 'principle' .... I have a reason to go ..

You won’t make every topic about you. Think of it like containing a virus: you can’t have it infecting everywhere.

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online msmoby

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »

Are you kidding?

The Ruble is half of what it was 2 years ago and the visa system now involves a lot of ballache as you'll know.

No,I'm not 'kidding' - you are addressing someone who encourages people to see Russia for themselves .... Piter has has a cruise ship 3 day visa free regime for sometime and I've tried to get friends and family to use it as a first step...

You recently enjoyed a free 15 day visa free visit to Vietnam yes? That was made available to several European countries to boost tourism numbers and tourist spending......

Vietnam hasn't been acquiring parts of neighbours territory... No matter how hard one spins it - and all your points are valid...it's a problem of perception ..many folks think that Russia is 'dangerous' ...which - if you're not a serious political rival - it isn't - it is nonsense to think otherwise...but that is a constant 'reason' for choosing other interesting places.

I'm trying to encourage folks to come to the Russian F1 GP- they need a tourist visa- yet I wonder how many more would I persuade to attend - if the travelling to Sochi didn't need a visa - like having a ticket to the European Champion's league final - a few year's back.

I'm sure they'd have a GREAT time - and a lot of daft perceptions would dissipate - but removing the 'visa issue' - IMHO is not going to help ....   
You won’t make every topic about you. Think of it like containing a virus: you can’t have it infecting everywhere.

Online msmoby

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

On the other hand, why TUI, the largest tour operator in Europe, has moved to Russia and continue supporting its subsidiary company ?

Wiz, TUI is an existing player - it has been in Ukraine and Russia since 2010..

Perhaps you need to explain the link to foreigners needing a visa to go to these countries.... to the decision of the group to support the operation in RU/UA during a time when the folks there can't afford to travel abroad  ?

Offline Wiz

• Watched
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »
Russia should abolish the visa requirement!

Red tape is keeping away tourists which could help Russia withstand Western sanctions.
Over time, more visitors would serve to improve the skewed perception of Russia abroad.

Anybody who has visited Russia or has looked photos and video’s, must be impressed with this large and beautiful country.

Having visited Russia several times, so far, I feel very disappointed and in some ways very frustrated that the Russian Government is so blind and on the 21st century still has the siege mentality of the last century and the cold war. Despite the current political situation, sanctions etc, the behaviour and attitude of the western countries towards Russia and the insistence of the Russian government to be treated equally, I think financially, it works against the Russian interests and the people of Russia.

I also think that the Russian Federation has improved its immigration services and has very modern computer systems to check anybody arriving in the country. For years, all airlines are obligated to supply passengers manifests, at least, 24 hours before arriving in the country and the same applies for most of western countries too, thus minimising the terrorist threats.

In my view it’s about time that Russia abolish the visa requirement or at least introduce visa on arrival, unilaterally for most western countries and especially the members of the European Community. The current leadership of the country, during the past 2-3 years, has shown that is capable of making some tactical moves against the western governments that caught them by surprise. In this case they could also pull another rabbit out of the hat, introducing one of the above changes with the visa requirement and leave them stunned.

Today the EU has agreed with Turkey to accelerate the roadmap for the abolition of visas for Turkish citizens wishing to travel to the EU with target the end of June 2016, as long as Turkey fulfills all the necessary conditions.

I was hoping after the last experience with the football mach between Manchester and Chelsea that took place in Moscow, when 50000 fans arrived there for 3-4 days and the Sochie winter Olympics, that they would see the benefits that tourism brings to any country, but alas nothing happened and still we are back to the cold war mentality!

It’s obvious now that the security of the nation is not threatened by anyone visiting Russia because that type of business practiced by both, Russia, USA and the Western countries has moved to electronic means and the few individual incidents prove the rule.

In my view it is wrong, a criminal extortion and backwards mentality towards Russia and the Russian people, by their Government that they still require Visas, invitation letters and also registration with OVIR, by all visitors who have paid a lot of money to be allowed to visit Russia.

Just look Ukraine and check the tourist numbers and other benefits that the abolition of Visa requirements has brought to the country, before the regime change and all other troubles that continue plaguing the country.

I think the Russian Government should reconsider its position by abolishing the Visa and other requirements, as inbound tourism to Russia will expand dramatically and will bring many benefits to the country and its people.

Offline Manny

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2016, 01:08:31 AM »

Ok, I'll be specific... most folk I know won't go to Russia on 'principle' .... I have a reason to go ..

What drivel.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2016, 01:16:39 AM »

I know people from all walks of life even down in the West Country who would love to visit Russia , but are wrongly worried about the visa regulations along with the Western propaganda , KGB, arresting without reason, police harassing tourists all the usual lies.
My family all of them have visited many times , my parents are in their 70's my sister, husband , their kids have also been over many times. Yet before I lived here none would of dreamed of visiting! Why? because of all the usual propaganda about the country  ;D
All of them are completely surprised with how Russia is for real as would many others. Russia is full of culture , the best museums in the world , architecture and much more!

Plenty of reason to visit for anyone :thumbsup:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2016, 02:22:31 AM »

What drivel.

Nono, moby has friends around the world, that always do the exact opposite of the majority of the rest of us. He attracts that kind of friends because he himself is opposite of the rest of us.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Wiz

• Watched
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2016, 02:56:12 AM »

Wiz, TUI is an existing player - it has been in Ukraine and Russia since 2010..

Perhaps you need to explain the link to foreigners needing a visa to go to these countries.... to the decision of the group to support the operation in RU/UA during a time when the folks there can't afford to travel abroad  ?

Moby

You may forget that, I was in the travel business for nearly 40 years, I still receive the weekly TTG (Travel Trade Gazette) and as you must know old habits die hard, therefore I am well informed and you can’t teach me anything.

I posted that link, deliberately, to show the people, that despite the sanctions and downturn in business, because of the nasty propaganda of the western governments and Media, the largest tour operator has no intention to pull out of its Russian operation and long term plans.

When TUI moved into the Russian market, they secured the inbound side of the business by acquiring “Intourist” and they are running a very good, price wise, outbound operation to several countries, including Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Italy, Spain etc. Not to forget that only in the UK they have a fleet of 60 aircraft and on order another 40, making them the 3rd airline in the UK, in passenger’s numbers. Of course they have bases and operations all over Europe.

If the Russian government abolish the visa requirement can you imagine how many charters will arrive in Shochi, Moscow, St Petersburg and Crimea, for starters?

And that is only one company!   :P :biggrin:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2016, 07:34:46 AM »

Are you kidding?

No,I'm not 'kidding' - you are addressing someone who encourages people to see Russia for themselves .... Piter has has a cruise ship 3 day visa free regime for sometime and I've tried to get friends and family to use it as a first step...

Vietnam hasn't been acquiring parts of neighbours territory... No matter how hard one spins it - and all your points are valid...it's a problem of perception ..many folks think that Russia is 'dangerous' ...which - if you're not a serious political rival - it isn't - it is nonsense to think otherwise...but that is a constant 'reason' for choosing other interesting places.

I'm trying to encourage folks to come to the Russian F1 GP- they need a tourist visa- yet I wonder how many more would I persuade to attend - if the travelling to Sochi didn't need a visa - like having a ticket to the European Champion's league final - a few year's back.

I'm sure they'd have a GREAT time - and a lot of daft perceptions would dissipate - but removing the 'visa issue' - IMHO is not going to help ....

N Vietnam acquired S Vietnam, and some parts of Cambodia only a few years ago, or have you a short/selective memory?
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Manny

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
A back of the net shot there for the Pikey. Lets see Moby try to swerve out of that one.  :coffeeread:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
A back of the net shot there for the Pikey. Lets see Moby try to swerve out of that one.  :coffeeread:

Merci Monsieur.

Pikey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

Pikey is a slang term, which may be pejorative when so intended, used mainly in England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales to refer to people who are of the Traveller Community, a lower-class person, regarded as coarse or disreputable.

:Stickouttongue2:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »

N Vietnam acquired S Vietnam, and some parts of Cambodia only a few years ago, or have you a short/selective memory?

Wasn't the reunification of the Vietnams in the mid 70's and the Cambodian incursion to remove the Khmer Rouge?

I'll have a google but Rugby is beckoning!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »

Wasn't the reunification of the Vietnams in the mid 70's and the Cambodian incursion to remove the Khmer Rouge?

I'll have a google but Rugby is beckoning!

Moby falsely stated, Vietnam hasn't been acquiring parts of neighbours territory.

No matter when it was...

Offline Manny

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »

Pikey is a slang term, which may be pejorative when so intended, used mainly in England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales to refer to people who are of the Traveller Community, a lower-class person, regarded as coarse or disreputable.

Also used interchangeably with gipsy.  :-X

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »

я знаю   tiphat

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »

я знаю   tiphat

Always struck me as odd that the Russian word for Gypsy is very similar to the Swedish word and the German word.

цыганский (Tsiganskiy) - zigenare - Zigeuner, wonder why that is?

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »

я знаю   tiphat

Always struck me as odd that the Russian word for Gypsy is very similar to the Swedish word and the German word.

цыганский (Tsiganskiy) - zigenare - Zigeuner, wonder why that is?

Da ein Zigeunerschnitzel  ist wunderbar

Online msmoby

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »

Moby

You may forget that, I was in the travel business for nearly 40 years..

wiz, the thread is about scrapping the visa requirement for foreigners to come TO Russia...NOT about the plight of the Russia outward travel industry.. :coffeeread:

To remind you..

''Perhaps you need to explain the link to foreigners needing a visa to go to these countries.... to the decision of the group to support the operation in RU/UA during a time when the folks there can't afford to travel abroad  ?''

Online msmoby

« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »

I know people from all walks of life even down in the West Country who would love to visit Russia , but are wrongly worried about the visa regulations along with the Western propaganda , KGB, arresting without reason, police harassing tourists all the usual lies.
My family all of them have visited many times , my parents are in their 70's my sister, husband , their kids have also been over many times. Yet before I lived here none would of dreamed of visiting! Why? because of all the usual propaganda about the country  ;D
All of them are completely surprised with how Russia is for real as would many others. Russia is full of culture , the best museums in the world , architecture and much more!

Plenty of reason to visit for anyone :thumbsup:

Steveboy,

I don't disagree with the reasons TO visit..You just won't see that the reasons people give not to visit are helped by recent Russian 'away games' in Ukraine, etc.

you call this 'western propaganda'   :coffeeread:

Online msmoby

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2016, 05:59:35 PM »

No,.. it helps to have BEEN to the places...Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand .... sometime crossing land borders..

Many of the border disputes occurred as a result of the normalisation / reunification of the 'Vietnams' in the 70's

Some light reading for you...

https://aseas.univie.ac.at/index.php/aseas/article/view/506

Then you might like to read up the SE Asian version of the EU ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations

So, these nations relationships are sound, and with no risk of border incursions or war...

The South Chins Sea - Spratley Islands dispute with China is the biggie....

Now, with that little fail at deflection aside...

Offline Wiz

• Watched
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2016, 11:48:19 PM »
Moby

You may forget that, I was in the travel business for nearly 40 years..
wiz, the thread is about scrapping the visa requirement for foreigners to come TO Russia...NOT about the plight of the Russia outward travel industry.. :coffeeread:

To remind you..

''Perhaps you need to explain the link to foreigners needing a visa to go to these countries.... to the decision of the group to support the operation in RU/UA during a time when the folks there can't afford to travel abroad  ?''

On my post 105 -  "Russia should abolish the visa requirement!" , I have already addressed the subject in general terms, and why the need of the visa to be abolished!

On my post 109, that you refer, I was more specific to the TUI operations...... but then you have missed all that or choosed to ignore and you comeback, like a broken record, with silly comments. :evilgrin0002:

Who can blame Gipsy and Steveboy or anybody else for that matter calling you stupid?

You already have acknowledged this fact!  :'(

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »

No,.. it helps to have BEEN to the places...Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand .... sometime crossing land borders..

And YOU are the only person in the world who has BEEN to these places... Amazing..

Many of the border disputes occurred as a result of the normalisation / reunification of the 'Vietnams' in the 70's

Some light reading for you...

https://aseas.univie.ac.at/index.php/aseas/article/view/506

Then you might like to read up the SE Asian version of the EU ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations

So, these nations relationships are sound, and with no risk of border incursions or war...

The South Chins Sea - Spratley Islands dispute with China is the biggie....

A reunification after a long war, which cost over 4million peoples their lives..
The reunification of Crimea was therefore very cheap.

Now, with that little fail at deflection aside...

Little deflection..   :ROFL:

Online msmoby

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2016, 12:17:36 AM »

On my post 105 -  "Russia should abolish the visa requirement!" , I have already addressed the subject in general terms, and why the need of the visa to be abolished!

Fibber - post 105 was your WORD FOR WORD copying and pasting of Manny's spin on RI -

On my post 109, that you refer, I was more specific to the TUI operations...... but then you have missed all that or choosed to ignore and you comeback, like a broken record, with silly comments.

the 'silly comments' was your introduction -  then repetition-  of a total red herring - TUI's propping up a sick RU/UA OUTWARD travel market ... bugger all to do with INBOUND .. the subject of this thread..

Who can blame Gipsy and Steveboy or anybody else for that matter calling you stupid?

You already have acknowledged this fact!  :'(

They are entitled to their opinion, of course.. but based on the quality of their - and your - 'attempts' at ripostes - my feelings aren't likely to be dented  :chuckle: .

I missed such an acknowledgement.. I've done some daft things - including indulging you...but I'm the kind sort that pities and still hopes to educate through patience and kindness   :coffeeread: