Information & Chat > Visas, Legal Paperwork and Other Documentation

UK Citizen Getting Married in Ukraine - Legal Documents Required

(1/10) > >>

Chris:
Over the Christmas/New Year period this year I spent a few hours greasing palms to get the information necessary to allow me to get married in Ukraine. I was told by the Chernivsti authority office that I needed certain documentation to allow this, one being a Certificate of No Impediment, although that is not what they called it, but it is what they meant. I was also told that our Government offices could provide this for us.

This is what I was told I need:-

* Passport with Ukrainian stamp to say I am in the country legally.
    * Divorce certificate with stamp/apostille
    * Letter from employer to say only 7 days holiday or it can be flight tickets – to speed up the waiting period. (normally a 30 day in country wait is necessary)
    * Letter/Certificate/Reference from Lawyer/Government Office to say I am not currently married and it must be apostilled.

All must be translated into Ukrainian and signed by a notary

So on returning to the UK I did some research and this is what I have found to be correct:-

The Certificate of no impediment to marriage is obtained from your local registry office. Their phone number will be under whichever town/district/borough council area that you live in.

All the documents can be notorised by the British Embassy in London.
link. http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...d=1007029391440

Today I called the above offices and this is what I was told:-

I spoke to my local Registry Office, this is what they told me:-

1. You Need to book an appointment to go in and see them in person.
2. You need to take with you:-
a) Your Name / Address,
b) Your Birth Certificate
c) Your Passport
d) An original copy of your Decree Absolute which must be a stamped copy by the court who issued it
e) A bank/utility bill with your name and address on it

3. They complete a Form 48 or 48a
4. You then have to wait 21 CLEAR days and go back to see them, then they issue a Form 36 which is signed and dated, it is NOT APOSTILLED,

You also need to take with you
a) Full name spelt correctly of your Fiancee
b) Full address where she resides now
c) Her correct age
d) Occupation
e) Current Marital status

and there is a £30 fee to pay.

I asked the lady about Legalisation of the documents, she told me to call the British Embassy in London to confirm if this is needed, I told her in Ukraine they do not accept documents unless they have official stamps, so she told me then the Embassy may have to Legalise and stamp all documents then.

So I called the Legalisation Office at the British Embassy:-

The Legalisation Office - http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front...d=1007029391440

They say allow up to 4 weeks, and they CAN legalise, Certs of No Impediment, they actually say it takes 15 days but allow 4 weeks to be sure.

You can take your documents in person for same day Legalisation, waits can be up to 2 hours and each document costs £27.00, anyone can take your documents, no ID is required, but all documents must have either a signature, a seal or be notorised by an approved solicitor. No foreign documents can be Legalised.

They Attach to each document a Certificate or Apostille

Looks like a trip down to London for me then.

Thought this may help others.

Chris

MBS01:
I expect your situtation is similar to what was needed for us as well.  I covered this in detail on my topic on RWG under the heading of Another Marriage in Ukraine - or something similar in the Non-USA Section there.

Basically all of your forms and documents after being officially attested to my your country's legel department and/or Embassy will then be required to be translated into Ukranian and Notarized by the translation firms lawyer.

Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev.  This takes at least a full day to complete.  Line up early in the morning to obtain a number.  Wait a few hours until it is time to go inside.  Complete the forms and leave your documents.  Pay the Cashier and obtain a time and number to return in the evening and pick up the legalized documents.

One other document that helps things along is a letter from a doctor saying your fiance is pregnent and you wish to marry because of this.  Helps keep everyone in the marriage office happy when seeking a less than 35 days wait prior to getting married.

Good Luck and do check my and other previous threads on this process.  Wes.

bgreed:
Being a US citizen mine wa a little different, but still very similar.

You are correct that the certification of no impediment must be apostilled.  However make more than one copy as RAGS will keep the apostilled copy.  They also will keep a copy of your birth certificate.

Yes they must be translated into Ukrainian

You take your no impediment to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Kiev pay your fee to recieve your stamp. You can pick it up after 4pm the same day. (Ministry of foreign Affairs is the yellow building accross from the Foreign Trade Ministry near St Mikails cathedral. Thats the big blue church with the gold domes)

Now you get to register at RAGS in her home city. Be prepared to grease the palm of the director to get a date sooner than the usual 30days (ask me how I know)

Once you get past that point the rest is easy.

Ah yes Chris I remeber those days so well only seems like yesterday (well it was only September :party0011:)

Chris:

--- Quote from: MBS01 on January 14, 2008, 04:41:17 PM ---I expect your situtation is similar to what was needed for us as well.  I covered this in detail on my topic on RWG under the heading of Another Marriage in Ukraine - or something similar in the Non-USA Section there.

Basically all of your forms and documents after being officially attested to my your country's legel department and/or Embassy will then be required to be translated into Ukranian and Notarized by the translation firms lawyer.

Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev.  This takes at least a full day to complete.  Line up early in the morning to obtain a number.  Wait a few hours until it is time to go inside.  Complete the forms and leave your documents.  Pay the Cashier and obtain a time and number to return in the evening and pick up the legalized documents.

One other document that helps things along is a letter from a doctor saying your fiance is pregnent and you wish to marry because of this.  Helps keep everyone in the marriage office happy when seeking a less than 35 days wait prior to getting married.

Good Luck and do check my and other previous threads on this process.  Wes.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Wes,

Yes I know about them being translated into Ukrainian, I will be visiting the British Embassy in London sometime early next month after I get my Form 36 Certificate of No Impediment back to get all documents Apostilled. In fact I am going down with another guy I know who is going through the same process. He is a member on here too.

However, this bit I am unsure about "Then the said translated and notarized documents will required legalization by the Ukraine Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev." I was never told by the authorities in Chernivsti this had to be carried out in Kiev, I was lead to believe this could be done locally??

I will get my lady to check it all out and to make sure.

I don't think I will be needing the doctors letter though  ;) thanks anyway   :)

Chris:

--- Quote from: bgreed on January 14, 2008, 07:24:45 PM ---Being a US citizen mine wa a little different, but still very similar.

You are correct that the certification of no impediment must be apostilled.  However make more than one copy as RAGS will keep the apostilled copy.  They also will keep a copy of your birth certificate.

Yes they must be translated into Ukrainian

You take your no impediment to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Kiev pay your fee to recieve your stamp. You can pick it up after 4pm the same day. (Ministry of foreign Affairs is the yellow building accross from the Foreign Trade Ministry near St Mikails cathedral. Thats the big blue church with the gold domes)

Now you get to register at RAGS in her home city. Be prepared to grease the palm of the director to get a date sooner than the usual 30days (ask me how I know)

Once you get past that point the rest is easy.

Ah yes Chris I remeber those days so well only seems like yesterday (well it was only September :party0011:)

--- End quote ---

Thanks BG

Yes I did a little palm greasing over Christmas ;) and to be fair she told me what else I could do to speed matters up. When I go back I will be visiting the same lady, who I am sure will smooth things over with a little incentive or two  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version