The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.  (Read 77454 times)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
Hosting is dirt cheap these days. Dirt cheap with excellent support. The issue as you pointed out is this is not usually the case outside of the US.

Donating money is fine and dandy but there are ways to monetize the site I am sure. You have a list of almost 5,000 users. Maybe you could grow that list by offering a freebie with info? Market your users with useful offers? A nice email right before Woman's Day with the link to a reputable FSU florist where you make a commission. I don't think users will be very offended over something like this. Of course this takes a little time and minimal effort, maybe something you are limited in or lack the desire due to other ventures.

The online search for MOB and Russian women is still very high. Maybe someone with experience with traffic like Andrew has knowledge on the volume change?

Unlimited power/bandwith in UK, best I found is £50 a mo plus VAT - upto 4U, I got a SPARC T5240 in one (it's 2U tho), cracking deal but could do with something nearer home...

Netherlands do some good ones too - think it was Leaseweb  - these are all colo tho, you'd need a source an actual server, I prefer off-lease older enterprise kit, like Sun/Oracle/HP/IBM not the Dell cheap shiit. Trouble is the power, always an issue when you colo, the proper stuff draws like 800w some of these Dell's draw 80w, I suppose that's enough for web-serving but with a database back end like this site must have I'm not sure it's enough...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Perhaps commercial members could be charged a fee and afforded a modest amount of protection from the most egregious comments.

Not a bad idea. Offer them a package that includes a bit of advertising as well.

Why would commercial members want to be on RUA? Didn't we have this conversation a few years back? Andrew and Manny said commercial sites such as AFA, APW, EM etc didn't exist to match up WM with FSUW that in fact they existed to con WM out of their money via expensive video chat with women paid to keep the WM interested for as long as possible. These agencies wanted WM to use pay per letter schemes, buy nonexistent gifts for nonexistent RW, etc. All of this is still on RUA for anyone who wants to do a search.

If Manny believes this and I haven't seen any sign he's changed his mind, why would he suddenly decide to offer these agencies any sort of deal to set up shop on RUA?
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
Perhaps commercial members could be charged a fee and afforded a modest amount of protection from the most egregious comments.

Not a bad idea. Offer them a package that includes a bit of advertising as well.

Why would commercial members want to be on RUA? Didn't we have this conversation a few years back? Andrew and Manny said commercial sites such as AFA, APW, EM etc didn't exist to match up WM with FSUW that in fact they existed to con WM out of their money via expensive video chat with women paid to keep the WM interested for as long as possible. These agencies wanted WM to use pay per letter schemes, buy nonexistent gifts for nonexistent RW, etc. All of this is still on RUA for anyone who wants to do a search.

If Manny believes this and I haven't seen any sign he's changed his mind, why would he suddenly decide to offer these agencies any sort of deal to set up shop on RUA?

It does not necessarily need to be agencies.

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
Hosting is dirt cheap these days. Dirt cheap with excellent support. The issue as you pointed out is this is not usually the case outside of the US.

Unlimited power/bandwith in UK, best I found is £50 a mo plus VAT - upto 4U, I got a SPARC T5240 in one (it's 2U tho), cracking deal but could do with something nearer home...

Netherlands do some good ones too - think it was Leaseweb  - these are all colo tho, you'd need a source an actual server, I prefer off-lease older enterprise kit, like Sun/Oracle/HP/IBM not the Dell cheap shiit. Trouble is the power, always an issue when you colo, the proper stuff draws like 800w some of these Dell's draw 80w, I suppose that's enough for web-serving but with a database back end like this site must have I'm not sure it's enough...

Colo makes sense for some, not sure if a viable option for Manny or not. From what he posted it sounds like he needs managed services. Colo is something where support is usually very lacking in with most companies. Server goes down and they hook up the KVM or charge you hourly for a low end tech to work on your server. Sourcing a server is easy, but then you should really have spare parts on standby, a tech familiar with your hw, etc. We ran Dell and Supermicro gear and rarely had issues.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »

If that were to be the case I'd sign up as a commercial member just to stop the leg humping!

With regard to hosting,  some people want to get dirty hands and save a bob by doing so,  others want a site that works all the time and where, if issues arise a quick call and a bloke  paid to know what to do sorts it out. I don't know about Manny but I know that I could have my costs but I don't want to.

I think that Ste and sasha see hosting as a product,  manny and I see hosting as part of a service. The service is the making available of my websites without my intervention and with high reliability.

Our business is not websites. They are just the means of communication. So,  just as if I want to send a letter,  I buy a stamp,  with a website,  I buy the service. I don't buy the post boxes or hire the postmen.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »

Can somebody translate this into english for me please . . . . . . . . . .
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
I think that Ste and sasha see hosting as a product,  manny and I see hosting as part of a service. The service is the making available of my websites without my intervention and with high reliability.

Our business is not websites. They are just the means of communication. So,  just as if I want to send a letter,  I buy a stamp,  with a website,  I buy the service. I don't buy the post boxes or hire the postmen.

Andrew is correct. Some businesses grow to a point where managing both inhouse become a necessity. Not the case in this situation. But websites are your business, just not the hosting infrastructure. Your domains are your real estate and a method to make money.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
Hey for protection from some, I would pay for that also.
Commercial member  :)

Manny, my offer still stands, but I am willing to up the payment,
for double exposure  :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Jooky and Sculpto
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2015, 02:06:09 PM »

I recall Jooky and Sculpto's rabid attacks against HRB as though it was yesterday.

I personally don't recall any of Jooky's "rabid attacks", but in case somebody cares - he's married to an RW for about 2 years.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Olga_Mouse

Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »

Olga, why should it be different for men or women?

Well, I thought most of the RW\WM sites requiring registration demand payments from men only - for ladies registering & using chat features is free?  :knit:

My only personal experience with a European "equal payment" site (Meetic) is described somewhere here - and is a truly negative one.

So shall an access to this particular forum become paid, I'd surely leave  (:)

Offline Larry

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

Well, I thought most of the RW\WM sites requiring registration demand payments from men only - for ladies registering & using chat features is free?  :knit:

My only personal experience with a European "equal payment" site (Meetic) is described somewhere here - and is a truly negative one.

You do provide a valued service to the forum: the periodic RW tattoo report  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »
Last I noticed this is not a dating site. There is no need to encourage any particular group of people. This is not a nightclub where the women are the reason for the guys being here.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
I think it's fair to say if Manny introduces some type of fee for use service for both men and women, RUA will be limited to far fewer male members than it currently has and no female members. Some of the other RUA members will move over to another forum, if they aren't already members or simply move on somewhere else. 

The idea that a site that has as few regularly contributing members as RUA instituting a fee for membership is foolish. Take a look at the forums on the Internet. How many very small forums such as RUA have instituted a fee and survived? How many forums have fees? I bet the owners of another forum are praying for Manny to introduce fees just so their site will grow and prosper at RUA's expense.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »

Last I noticed this is not a dating site.

Last I noticed TomT and Nessibelle met here...  :innocent:

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
Last I noticed TomT and Nessibelle met here...  :innocent:

One or two marriages out of approximately 4700 registered members.  Subtract 20 or so for Moby's known aliasis.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
I think it's fair to say if Manny introduces some type of fee for use service for both men and women, RUA will be limited to far fewer male members than it currently has and no female members. Some of the other RUA members will move over to another forum, if they aren't already members or simply move on somewhere else. 

The idea that a site that has as few regularly contributing members as RUA instituting a fee for membership is foolish. Take a look at the forums on the Internet. How many very small forums such as RUA have instituted a fee and survived? How many forums have fees? I bet the owners of another forum are praying for Manny to introduce fees just so their site will grow and prosper at RUA's expense.

Hopefully, other forum members don't have the same cheapskate attitude about contributions for entertainment as you. 

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2015, 03:50:30 PM »

Interesting but not a surprise.

Women often demand "equal rights" but rarely fully accept the responsibility that having equal rights requires.   

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »

Well, this isn't a dating site, but a forum. Besides, was it you who wrote you paid 50e for a lousy manicure and tipped the "poor Serbian girl" 5e? (Which, i guess, means you are far above the poverty line.) Why wouldn't you or i pay the membership given that we participate equally, like guys do?  ??? I say, for female members, either offer some content that men find entertaining and don't mind supporting financially, or, if you insist on being a feminist and an intellectual, pay your share, it's as simple as that.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
The idea that a site that has as few regularly contributing members as RUA instituting a fee for membership is foolish.

Is it? Listen, i am from the East, presumably we are at a loss when talking money and presumably you are an expert in finances, so you tell me: for what reason would anyone give you a platform to voice your opinions for free? What's the use of it? Do you realize that promoting your personal views and gaining publicity comes at a cost?
I have problems with paypal at home (it's introduced recently and it still doesn't work properly, our cards get denied for unbeknownst  reasons), but i'll chip in next week when i am abroad.
I mean, really, don't be that cheap, it's repulsive.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »

+1

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2015, 05:42:47 PM »
The idea that a site that has as few regularly contributing members as RUA instituting a fee for membership is foolish.

Is it? Listen, i am from the East, presumably we are at a loss when talking money and presumably you are an expert in finances, so you tell me: for what reason would anyone give you a platform to voice your opinions for free? What's the use of it? Do you realize that promoting your personal views and gaining publicity comes at a cost?
I have problems with paypal at home (it's introduced recently and it still doesn't work properly, our cards get denied for unbeknownst  reasons), but i'll chip in next week when i am abroad.

The opposition group will gladly take them all, because they would like to have the membership and they are free.

Well, you did ask.

I would donate a few bucks no problem. I would need to do a search for my special paypal without membership link as I am banned for life for using it in Russia many moons ago when you couldn't.

I would prefer to see voting rights sold off. I can also easily see a thousand members moving away just because....
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Larry

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
I would prefer to see voting rights sold off.

That sounds intriguing. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »
If you utilize services or products on the internet which are 'free'....They really aren't. What is for sale is you, and your personal and membership info and advertising traffic, etc..... Ostensibly if you 'pay' for a service ones info isn't/shouldn't be for sale and the entrepreneur has more incentive to protect his clients personal and membership info.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2015, 07:09:06 PM »

Interesting but not a surprise.

Women often demand "equal rights" but rarely fully accept the responsibility that having equal rights requires.

Surely it's not a surprise for such a nightlife expert as you, Shakey! You surely know that people working in entertainment usually do NOT pay for being entertained. Same with me: either I'm on the guestlist, or I'm not attending  :biggrin:

When it goes about responsibilities, then for the moment my main responsibility is to feed 3 musicians (and their families) in one of the not-so-cheap European countries. Oh, and trying to survive myself, by the way  (:)

The weight of this responsibility is at the very edge of what my weak shoulders can stand. Can not possibly accept a financial responsibility for a virtual sandpit.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »

Yes, I am an expert in finance and let me share a little wisdom with you. There are an almost endless number of forums on the Internet that allow its members to voice their opinions on any number of topics for free. Google it, you'll see I'm right.

If Manny needs a few extra quid to cover costs for maintaining this website the most traditional method is to install a Tip Jar. Take a look at this one. I believe it's located in Scotland, so Tip Jars are probably also used in England. These Tip Jars take credit cards, Paypal, some even take Bitcoins. This website is far busier than RUA and discusses a far more controversial topic. It probably has much higher costs than RUA. Manny already has an online business so setting up a Tip Jar that takes credit cards and Paypal should be easy.

Shakey's pushing this hard so I'm sure he can be counted on for a C-note a couple of times a year. Andrew claims to be an expert on websites so I'm sure he'll also drop a similar amount. Maybe his donation will be in pounds, for a little extra.  :laugh: That should cover most of the costs that ads don't. Problem solved.

Manny must know this. He's been on forums dedicated to forum administration. Just the fact that he'd bring up this topic as opposed to quietly setting up a Tip Jar, sets off all types of red flags for me.