Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/rwadvent/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 900

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/rwadvent/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 908

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/rwadvent/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 920

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/rwadvent/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 932

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/rwadvent/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Editor.php on line 934
Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion, Travel & Information Forum - Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.

The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.  (Read 78273 times)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Site Funding. Supporting Members. Q & A.
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
B.O.T.

And the PayPal pay now button is located where (link?)

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »

If it brings in 10 paying members that's 10 more than now.

It may also reduce the number of armchair posters who've never stepped foot in the FSU from clogging up the board with shite.

Time will tell.

What about the others that clog up the board with shite??  Especially those that enjoy posting personal attacks when they don't like what is said.

Let them eat cake!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »
B.O.T.

And the PayPal pay now button is located where (link?)

After the third post on 10% of topics. If you cant find it, I'll send you a link.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »
Personal, I say do as you wish, let each person decide for themselves.

Labelling someone or insult, because they don't want to pay for  what has always been free and is built on the backs of members is just low.

Site like these exist because of the members and what they share.
One should becareful how and what they charge for what.
If membership falls that sort of defeats the purpose also.

Of course if you prefer a private club style forum, thats a whole different thing.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2015, 04:40:54 PM »
I can't envisage charging those who contribute working, they'll just disappear to other sites.

What you do have is a shop front, with circa 1000 viewers per day, if that was a high street shop with near on 1000 visitors per day (entering your shop as in this case) you'd hope they'd be something you could find worth stocking that at least 1% might buy.

If you take the A-Date business model then perhaps webcam type links might be more fruitful, if that's what they want and that pays the bills why not, content will remain similar.

Sure a few will be offended, but they're hardly offering to pay the bills anyhow, damned if you do blah blah blah.

As an aside, with the new UK regulations on importing wives I can only see this type of site being appropriate to those across the pond anyhow, how many of those realistically get on a plane and visit must be below 1%, that's not an insult but realistic if you take account distance and lack of annual holidays if employed.

Another option might be expanding the site incorporating other area's, perhaps expanding into dating etc, seems that is still a profitable business in the FSU search with most of the more reputable or should I say sincere ladies participating, most don't mind a couple hundred quid annual subscription, maybe more hassle than it's worth.

Good luck with which ever route you decide Manny.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
One approach which could work is to have 2 classes of members -

Free - Maximum 10 posts a week
Paid - Unlimited posting

Remember the vast majority of RUA members would not be effected by such a posting limit. 

As for me I will send Manny a donation.

Nice idea but take the current amount of posters, say with a charge of $50, that's perhaps $500 per annum, being generous $1000?

Can't see that being worth the effort either, surely Manny wants this site to be producing an income in excess of £500 per month to make it worthwhile (I'd imagine that's below minimum wage btw for time spent here and administering), that's a lot of members or a much higher charge.

If it's about the site breaking even and more of a hobby, then as Westy suggests a tip box might be more appropriate, say when a new member arrives with a problem that's resolved a tip might be appropriate, or asked for.

Seems those type members are few and far between nowadays which might be a slight problem, so you're back to those who contribute in written form contributing.

So it's really back to making a profit out of the daily visitors or shut up shop and let another site pay for the privilege of others talking about FSU women.  :hidechair:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Jooky and Sculpto
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »
... but in case somebody cares - he's (Jooky) married to an RW for about 2 years.

I don't care; I've had enough of his histrionics to last for two lifetimes. I realize that you were addressing a larger audience, though, some of whom might appreciate the news. I think that most members, especially those who were members of R-W-G, would be more interested in how you have been doing.

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
There is nothing on this site that can't be found elsewhere for free. Makes no sense to make it a pay website.

The way I see it is this way. This site is a business and was started to make money. Like any business some are successful, some not so much.

Now what if this site had become a windfall of cash?   How much money would Manny be sharing with the members? :o

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »
Lonedrake, there's a big difference between giving people an option to help support the site and being a paid site. The first is a voluntary option with possible bonus benefits where the people paying understand the value of the community,  as a community. The second is an enforced payment for the use of a service.

To the best of my knowledge, the former is under consideration and not the latter. So,  if you don't want to support the community you'd get to see ads or have a slightly less optimal view of the site than somebody who does support the community.

Seems reasonable.

===================
Westcoast, if you were not such a freeloading tight arse you'd already know about the existence of a 'tips jar'. Turn off your ad blocker, locate the relevant banner and pay the man. We know,  because you told us,  that you are in favour of that idea so we can expect to see a change to your info to the side of all your posts,  yes?

My guess is that even if you looked at the banner you'd then claim to have some aversion based upon your career as an international  banker to using PayPal. ;)

But go on Westy, show us that you are not a blowhard and make a donation to support this site!
Please, prove me wrong. :)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline tonton

• RIP
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2015, 12:25:18 AM »
I'd prefer to donate indirectly in the form of wine with Manny, his Mrs and a few other lads here--it's more fun. But, count me in for chipping in even though I rarely post here now days.

Offline Manny

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »
I'd prefer to donate indirectly in the form of wine with Manny, his Mrs and a few other lads here--it's more fun.

Aye, its been a while.  :BEER:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
I'd prefer to donate indirectly in the form of wine with Manny, his Mrs and a few other lads here--it's more fun.

Aye, its been a while.  :BEER:

The two things would not, I am sure, be mutually exclusive?

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »
Why not move this to a public thread or start a new topic and
get all members 2 cents worth, many have lots of posts, even if not here.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Manny

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2015, 04:29:27 PM »
Why not move this to a public thread or start a new topic and
get all members 2 cents worth, many have lots of posts, even if not here.

This is a public thread.  :rolleye0009:

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
To (sic) funny!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »
Manny,
Is there another way besides PayPal to make a donation?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2015, 03:53:14 AM »
Just found this response of Westy's to Manny's std - you are a 'troll' - when a valid counter is made ... 

Am I seeking a FSUW? No.

As for being a troll, let's see what the definition of a troll is from Manny's own source a "self proclaimed expert". Who does that sound like? Who has repeatedly been labelled a self proclaimed expert?

That's Andrew. He's been repeatedly called a self proclaimed expert by a number of RUA members. Posting on all manner of topics from the US military, Russian military, aviation, the CIA, marriage, etc, etc. If there's a thread on any topic you can bet Andrew's the expert on that topic.

Andrew was more than willing to argue with Mendy about Russian topics despite the fact that Mendy is not only married to a RW, he also speaks the language, lives and works in Russia. And Andrew? Andrew isn't married to anyone, Russian or otherwise. Doesn't speak Russian. Doesn't live or work in Russia. Yet somehow Andrew felt he knew more than Mendy. Andrew is the classic definition of a troll.   

What about Manny? The other half of the entity we call [derogatory term removed]. Is he a troll? Let's take a look. He was more than willing to argue with Halo about the Ukrainian government's deals with its energy supplier. Halo is a lawyer (Canadian) speaks the language, lived (worked?) in Ukraine for years, is married to a FSUM. Manny OTOH, doesn't speak the language, never worked or lived in Ukraine. His claim to fame is that he's married to a RW and has a holiday home in Ukraine Estonia. I'm sure visiting Estonia a couple of times a year is the same as living in Ukraine for years.  :laugh: Once again, it seems Manny is at least close to the definition of a troll. True he doesn't fit it as well as Andrew, but then who could?  :laugh:

Manny, as for contributing a few quid to RUA's upkeep? Who would send money to someone on the Internet when their only connection to that person is some Internet posts. Isn't that rule #1? Don't send money to someone you've never met in person.

Manny, I appreciate that you - and others - DO point in a lot of work behind the scenes and would WILLINGLY contribute - via paypal  (  :chuckle: ) a regular contribution - if you can accept that your definition of a 'troll' covers most of us - including yourself .

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2015, 05:37:05 AM »
Very few, if any, of those who claimed they'd stop being freeloaders changed their status I see.

The integrity is not deep with this crowd I think.

At least Anathema kept to his word. ;)

Offline Anteros

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2015, 08:04:42 AM »
Very few, if any, of those who claimed they'd stop being freeloaders changed their status I see.

The integrity is not deep with this crowd I think.

At least Anathema kept to his word. ;)

Where is the link to fund the site?  I would probably like to make a small donation.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:43 AM »
There's a banner between posts with a PayPal logo on it. Click and be free.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »

Pardon however I am not seeing it. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »

Its on a rotator, it will come up one time in ten on pages with four or more posts on. I didn't want it in peoples faces.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »

Its on a rotator, it will come up one time in ten on pages with four or more posts on. I didn't want it in peoples faces.

If you have time, please send me the link in an email or PM.

Offline Manny

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline Anteros

« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
This link should work

Done.  Please update my status to "contributing member".   :party0011:   :laugh: