The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Natural Remedies for Health Problems and Increased Longevity  (Read 4121 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Natural Remedies for Health Problems and Increased Longevity
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »
The only thing Nadia really misses from home is Ryazhenka, like fermented milk -

This was one of the items my wife also missed. We finally found a Russian store about 45 minutes away that carries it.

You can get it at any Indian market. Look for it in the big blue plastic bottles.

You can also get it by climbing up a ladder.   :hidechair:
I have about thirty in the front yard waiting to be taken away.

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
Wife and many of the local FSU women are very much into natural remedies. I won't flood the forum but a few we incorporate into our lives are papayas and red rice yeast. Papayas are one of the healthiest foods out there and having some for breakfast or adding to a shake or smoothie provides these benefits. Red yeast rice lowers cholesterol naturally. I take several per day to keep mine in check.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
Wife and many of the local FSU women are very much into natural remedies. I won't flood the forum but a few we incorporate into our lives are papayas and red rice yeast. Papayas are one of the healthiest foods out there and having some for breakfast or adding to a shake or smoothie provides these benefits. Red yeast rice lowers cholesterol naturally. I take several per day to keep mine in check.

Sasha, would you mind sharing more about red yeast rice?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2015, 11:57:03 AM »

Red yeast rice is a natural supplement used to lower cholesterol. I take two 600mg pills each day and it has helped reduced my LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. I also take fish oil capsules daily which supposedly helps as well. Some good info on studies can be found on the link below.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/red-yeast-rice

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »

Red yeast rice is a natural supplement used to lower cholesterol. I take two 600mg pills each day and it has helped reduced my LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. I also take fish oil capsules daily which supposedly helps as well. Some good info on studies can be found on the link below.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/red-yeast-rice

Thanks, Sasha! Last check up, my GP said all was good, but "bordering cholesterol"  :hidechair: He recommended me some kind of lower carb/ lower fat diet, but i am anyway on much stricter diet that that (it's those printed materials they hand out, there was like no pork, no white sugar, no white bread... i do not consume any of those anyway  :( )
Douglas Adams

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
1. home made kefir

Kefir is supposedly very good for weight loss and your digestive system. As an American it initially took me took a bit of getting used to the thought (and consistency) of drinking spoiled dairy so I would add it to whey protein shakes or purchase a fruit flavored variety.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/331818-weight-loss-with-kefir/

Offline yankee

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »
1. home made kefir

Kefir is supposedly very good for weight loss and your digestive system. As an American it initially took me took a bit of getting used to the thought (and consistency) of drinking spoiled dairy so I would add it to whey protein shakes or purchase a fruit flavored variety.

I would lose weight too if I drank Kefir.  awwwwwwfulllllll
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »

I love it! AND the home made one has even stronger/ sharper taste than the industrial one, but i am used to it, i love what it does to my taste buds  ;D

1. home made kefir

I would lose weight too if I drank Kefir.  awwwwwwfulllllll

Yankee, lol! I understand, i think most people who are not used to it would agree with you! (And many did have the "weightloss" experience you mention. Not sure why it happens, but i've heard it's far from pleasant  :( )

I've started making my own quark cheese/ tvorog, because it's not available here, it's yummy  :loving:
Douglas Adams

Offline yankee

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »

I've started making my own quark cheese/ tvorog, because it's not available here, it's yummy  :loving:

tvorog I like

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »

tvorog I like

Oy!  ;D Then i am not going to tell you how is it made, because it's half milk, half... something else  :-X

(At least that's how i make it lol! Funny though, i do know several people - not from Eastern Europe originally, but been around the block,  who don't like kefir, but love tvorog... Myself, i simply can't discriminate between the two! ;))
Douglas Adams

Offline yankee

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

tvorog I like

Oy!  ;D Then i am not going to tell you how is it made, because it's half milk, half... something else  :-X

(At least that's how i make it lol! Funny though, i do know several people - not from Eastern Europe originally, but been around the block,  who don't like kefir, but love tvorog... Myself, i simply can't discriminate between the two! ;))

we make it at home.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 02:46:57 PM »

tvorog I like

we make it at home.

Awesome!  :thumbsup:

Douglas Adams

Offline civi68

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 05:19:52 AM »
What I find beneficial and there is much research to back it up are 2000 to 4000 IU (whatever it takes to get your levels between 40-60 ng) of vitamin D, 200 mcg of vitamin K2 (very low in American diet, keeps the calcium in your bones and not in your arteries), and Astaxanthin, which is a carotanoid similar to beta-carotene, lycopene, etc, from salmon and the algae they eat. Also, eating a high magnesium diet or getting it from spraying magnesium chloride on your skin.
Mike