The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Soviet cuisine: sausages and cabbage  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Soviet cuisine: sausages and cabbage
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »
Me too Nessi, my wife cooks them with bacon which she fries first, then adds water, throws in the sprouts cut in halves and chopped spring onions and then some coarse grain French or Dijon mustard, this Christmas we have converted a few non sprout eaters to asking us for more  :)

PS you can also add chestnuts and/or walnuts, hmmmm, delish!

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would have never thought to add mustard and chestnuts!

tiphat  She also uses a wholegrain mustard, it seems to give the dish that little bit extra.

PS I know of someone else who actually adds a little vinegar to their sprouts, I have never tried it myself but they reckon its very nice.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Soviet cuisine: sausages and cabbage
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 09:55:14 AM »
Funny how bacon is the key to many successful veggies being cooked and eaten :chuckle:

True. Bacon and butter are two of the great flavor-enhancers, especially for vegetables.

Try this one on for size next time you get a chance to grill.....slice jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise (remove seeds)...fill the halves with cream cheese (spiced with chili powder, a touch of crushed garlic and some dill) and wrap each halve with a slice of bacon.  Place them on the grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes each side, or until you see the edges of the bacon start to blacken.  Not only will these make your eyes shine but they are quite tasty too.  Great as an appetizer before tossing some steaks on the grill.

The filling can vary according to taste of course, but that is a good starter.

I'm liking that as a pre-steak starter, Mike. Thanks.  tiphat
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Registration