The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Victims of Political Terror - Stalin  (Read 3501 times)

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
Victims of Political Terror - Stalin
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:21:23 AM »
An incredibly grim list:

http://lists.memo.ru/index1.htm

Makes you wonder how many on this enormous list are relatives that could be traced to those currently in power in The Kremlin that seek to rehabilitate (partially at least) Stalin.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Victims of Political Terror - Stalin
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:29:46 AM »
An organisation called Последний адрес (Last Address) has started putting up plaques around Moscow to commemorate some of the victims.

Maxim Kats from Echo Moskvy covered the erection of plaques at Dolgorukovskaya Ulitsa 5, where at least 65 people were disappeared, on his Livejournal page.

There's an article about it in English in The Moscow Times.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:40:18 AM »

There's an article about it in English in The Moscow Times.

The patronymics on the memorial which is photographed, Abramovich, and the profession (pediatrician) puts it in context (the notorious"Doctor's plot ")  :(
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:46:55 AM »
For those that aren't aware of it, this is what Volshe is referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors'_plot

I don't think Vladimir Nikolayev can have been involved in that since he was shot in 1938.

You can see lists of the disappeared divided by addresses here.

Offline jake11

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
That is why I always wonder why American leftists hate USA and praise Stalin. They find fault in the American way of life but none in Stalin. The worst that American politicians did was bug the Watergate. Stalin murdered millions of peasants. Compare it with the worse an American politician had done. ;D
There are only three professional spies in the world: Vladimir Putin, Vladimir Putin, and Vladimir Putin.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Victims of Political Terror - Stalin
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 10:37:16 PM »