The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moldovan Expedition  (Read 2049 times)

Offline FredHill

Moldovan Expedition
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
OK, getting ready for my winter vacation. Got two months coming up, plan to spend them in Central Asia and Eastern Europe.

January: A few weeks in Kyrgyzstan, checking out Bishkek and the northern provinces. As mentioned in an earlier post, this will be part of a "reconnaissance" expedition, taking in the lay of the land, so to speak. Particularly looking forward to seeing the Tian Shan mountains, which by all accounts are quite spectacular in winter.

Late January - mid February: several weeks in Chisinau, Moldova. The more I've read about this country, the more intrigued I've become by its natural beauty and rich historical background. A number of people here have suggested it's some kind of cultural backwater not worth the effort of visiting, but I simply don't believe that.

Planning to explore the north of the country as far as Balti. Not so sure about Tiraspol, have read conflicting reports regarding the political stability of Transnistria. Will probably take a trip down the west bank of the Dneister for the scenery.

This is more or less the first step in my long term reconnaissance of the FSB. Over the next five years, I intend to spend my vacations exploring Eastern Europe, using Moldova as my base camp. Assuming anyone here is interested, should I relate my experiences when I return, or will I be reviled as a "pervert" and a "douche bag" as I was was in earlier posts?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Moldovan Expedition
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »
Several weeks in Moldova during the winter no less? Wow, you might be a tad challenged for entertainment value, but all it takes is meeting one lovely lady to change all that I suppose.

I'd recommend a jaunt down the Carpathians in Romania and Brasov in particular. It's relatively close and the scenery and mountains can be quite beautiful. What about a quick trip up to Lvov? I haven't been there but apparently it's the prettiest city in Ukraine.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »
Several weeks in Moldova during the winter no less? Wow, you might be a tad challenged for entertainment value, but all it takes is meeting one lovely lady to change all that I suppose.

I'd recommend a jaunt down the Carpathians in Romania and Brasov in particular. It's relatively close and the scenery and mountains can be quite beautiful. What about a quick trip up to Lvov? I haven't been there but apparently it's the prettiest city in Ukraine.

I echo that also, in fact I am off there in the early hours of the morning for the umpteenth time, we will be based in Chernivtsi WU and off to the Ukrainian Carpathians a few days later. I have posted a few threads in the culture and travel sections on these areas if you are interested.

Lvov - AKA Little Paris

Chernivtsi - AKA Little Vienna
Слава Україні

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »

I'd like to see Vlad the Impaler's castle in Romania. Maybe just to say I seen it. Then sometimes the little things like quant little villages can be interesting to. Many here are only interested in the World Sites, Red Square or the Hermitage as examples. Lvov in western Ukraine is said to be an interesting and beautiful city. You might want to check that out Fred. Good luck on your exploratory trip.

Offline WOVO

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »

I'd like to see Vlad the Impaler's castle in Romania. Maybe just to say I seen it. Then sometimes the little things like quant little villages can be interesting to. Many here are only interested in the World Sites, Red Square or the Hermitage as examples. Lvov in western Ukraine is said to be an interesting and beautiful city. You might want to check that out Fred. Good luck on your exploratory trip.

Been there.  It is called "Bran Castle" and it is situated in Bran, near Brasov. 

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

Been there.  It is called "Bran Castle" and it is situated in Bran, near Brasov.

Is that the castle ruins on top of the mount with the river running below? The one where his wife threw herself off the cliff when she falsely believed he had died in battle? It would be kind of interesting place camp overnight…

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »
You will probably do fine in Moldova. I certainly enjoyed my time there however that was in the summer time and I had social pursuits lined up alongside my work which provided the divertissements that you probably would seek to enjoy. In addition, I bet that a side trip to Transniestria or Gagauzia will, given the current silliness be impractical as the Moldovans are playing NATO inspired silly buggers with the borders.

Winter will likely be bloody cold and the sightseeing will be not a patch on what you'd see in the summer. No sunbathing by Lake Ghiddigichi, no trips to the river Nistru at least not unless you are well wrapped up. Even the very pleasant Kishinev parks will be, I am sure, pretty damned desolate - and we met nice people in the parks.

If I were you I'd try to line up some social contacts ahead of time - unless you enjoy solitude and wandering lonely as a cloud!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Boris

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »

I echo that also, in fact I am off there in the early hours of the morning for the umpteenth time, we will be based in Chernivtsi WU and off to the Ukrainian Carpathians a few days later. I have posted a few threads in the culture and travel sections on these areas if you are interested.

Lvov - AKA Little Paris

Chernivtsi - AKA Little Vienna

Kharkov - AKA Little Pittsburgh or Birmingham ... :-)

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
Islamabad?

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
I hear Kabul is nice in the winter.  :hidechair:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
 Fred visiting a city is all what you make of it. I can sit in any city on this planet and find nothing good in it. Or, I can look past the curb and see that every city has something to offer the visitor.  A city is a city, its full of people, concrete and noise. it's up to you to find a vibe and make it work.

Good luck, hope you will report back to us!

Registration