The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Westcoast: Nobody immigrates to the FSU from the west.  (Read 82105 times)

Offline krassavchick

Re: Westcoast: Nobody immigrates to the FSU from the west.
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:22 AM »
Manny, you may not be anti Ukraine, but it is rare if every you say anything good about it.

I never heard any good words about Russia from most of regular forum posters here. I don't count wedon'thaterussianswehateputin statements. So what?  ;D

Millaa it's real easy to determine if Russia or the UK, the US or EU is better. When a WM marries a RW where do they end up living? The answer isn't Russia. That says all there is to say about Russia. What WM wants to live in a mafia state (another name for Russia).

Your logic is very flawed.  I cannot speak for others but I will tell you that if I could afford to live in Moscow I would move there today if I could get the appropriate visas.

If your wife is Russian you can apply for vid na zhitelstvo / residency.  The whole process takes quite a while, but because you are married you have a big advantage.  If you aren't married then there are a limited number available and you'd be competing with everyone else who wants residency in Russia.  If the will was there you could certainly live in Russia!

http://advokats.ru/en/practice/res/

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
Life expectancy is much higher as well. 

People are free to drink themselves to death in the West, if they so choose.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:59 AM »
Manny, you may not be anti Ukraine, but it is rare if every you say anything good about it.

I never heard any good words about Russia from most of regular forum posters here. I don't count wedon'thaterussianswehateputin statements. So what?  ;D

Millaa it's real easy to determine if Russia or the UK, the US or EU is better. When a WM marries a RW where do they end up living? The answer isn't Russia. That says all there is to say about Russia. What WM wants to live in a mafia state (another name for Russia).

Your logic is very flawed.  I cannot speak for others but I will tell you that if I could afford to live in Moscow I would move there today if I could get the appropriate visas.

My logic's flawed? And yet how many of the RUA couples live permanently in Russia or the FSU? They may visit. They may even own property there but few if any plan to live there permanently. Again few if any are planning on raising a family there.

As for you living in Moscow I've heard it before and yet I never see anyone moving to Russia. Aren't you married to a Russian citizen? If yes, a visa shouldn't be a problem. All it takes is planning. Learn the language. Learn a set of skills that have value in Russia. If Moscow is too expensive like the US and Canada I'm sure there are areas of the country that are far cheaper.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline yankee

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

My logic's flawed? And yet how many of the RUA couples live permanently in Russia or the FSU? They may visit. They may even own property there but few if any plan to live there permanently. Again few if any are planning on raising a family there.

As for you living in Moscow I've heard it before and yet I never see anyone moving to Russia. Aren't you married to a Russian citizen? If yes, a visa shouldn't be a problem. All it takes is planning. Learn the language. Learn a set of skills that have value in Russia. If Moscow is too expensive like the US and Canada I'm sure there are areas of the country that are far cheaper.

You have never worked or lived overseas have you?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline TomT

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »

That would necessitate getting out of his comfy armchair.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »

My ex was Chinese born and raised. I've been there a number of times staying up to a few months at a time. After I took a buyout in Vancouver I had a few opportunities to work in China. I speak the language well enough. However the simple fact is I didn't need the money and as nice a city as Shanghai is its air pollution is very bad. At many times during the year breathing masks are a must. Definitely not a healthy environment. To answer your question more fully I've never taken paid work in China, I have done some volunteer work.

In Vancouver I volunteer for an organization that helps immigrants settle in Canada. I know what it takes to immigrate. The paperwork, the prep work, the money, etc. Yankee if you really wanted to live in Russia you would be there now. From posting on this forum and others I've learned most WM never will become fluent in their wife's language whether it's Russia or Chinese, etc. That certainly is a major problem when immigrating. Also most WM don't want to live in a country with such limited medical care and educational institutions.

Yankee I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm pointing out facts. I'm sure your wife is a nice lady. I'm sure Millaa is a great person but the reality is Russia is not a nice country for westerners to live in.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline yankee

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

My ex was Chinese born and raised. I've been there a number of times staying up to a few months at a time. After I took a buyout in Vancouver I had a few opportunities to work in China. I speak the language well enough. However the simple fact is I didn't need the money and as nice a city as Shanghai is its air pollution is very bad. At many times during the year breathing masks are a must. Definitely not a healthy environment. To answer your question more fully I've never taken paid work in China, I have done some volunteer work.

In Vancouver I volunteer for an organization that helps immigrants settle in Canada. I know what it takes to immigrate. The paperwork, the prep work, the money, etc. Yankee if you really wanted to live in Russia you would be there now. From posting on this forum and others I've learned most WM never will become fluent in their wife's language whether it's Russia or Chinese, etc. That certainly is a major problem when immigrating. Also most WM don't want to live in a country with such limited medical care and educational institutions.

Yankee I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm pointing out facts. I'm sure your wife is a nice lady. I'm sure Millaa is a great person but the reality is Russia is not a nice country for westerners to live in.

It sounds like you chose to live in a city you didn’t even like!  No wonder you didn’t like living overseas.     I lived in Hong Kong for a while and don’t recall any air pollution.  Hong Kong was too crowded for me.  Best place in the world for restaurants though!
The reason my RW (you like using that acronym) chose to move to the US is that I make a lot more money here than she did in Russia.  Soon I will be retiring and Moscow is not off the table.  I have never been hassled by the Police or the people of Moscow or any other city that I have been to.  Your preconceptions of Russia are just stupid and you are very ill-informed.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
I have never been hassled by the Police or the people of Moscow or any other city that I have been to.  Your preconceptions of Russia are just stupid and you are very ill-informed.

I have been to Russia (including Moscow) many times also, and I never had any problems with the police either. Why would you if you don't stand out?

The only time I really met them is on the roads, yes I have had tickets and stuff there, but I never paid a bribe there to a traffic cop that I recall. But I did in Poland, Lithuania and Latvia.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »
Also most WM don't want to live in a country with such limited medical care and educational institutions.

I was so "impressed" by medical care, bank service and educational system here already, but I promised my husband not to compare Russia and USA on RUA. So, sorry, I was forced to.  ;D
Nowhere in Russia I was told -  we will not transfer your money, because we are afraid to make a mistake.
Nowhere in Russia I was told - we will not make you a blood test, because you have bad veins.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline yankee

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
Also most WM don't want to live in a country with such limited medical care and educational institutions.

I was so "impressed" by medical care, bank service and educational system here already, but I promised my husband not to compare Russia and USA on RUA. So, sorry, I was forced to.  ;D
Nowhere in Russia I was told -  we will not transfer your money, because we are afraid to make a mistake.
Nowhere in Russia I was told - we will not make you a blood test, because you have bad veins.

My wife is discusted with the level of primary care here.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 04:47:53 PM »

Millaa you grew up in Russia. You're a native speaker. You know what to expect. Even on RUA we hear about people people talking about poor medical care and schools compared to their western counterparts. As we age health care is a deciding factor in many decisions and according to what I've read on RUA and other sites, health care in Russia isn't comparable to that in the west.

As for your points about transferring money, I was a banker and I've never heard of that excuse in Canada or the US. If a financial institution gave me that excuse I'd use another bank. There are lots of banks available.

Don't know about blood tests.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »

It sounds like you chose to live in a city you didn’t even like!  No wonder you didn’t like living overseas.     I lived in Hong Kong for a while and don’t recall any air pollution.  Hong Kong was too crowded for me.  Best place in the world for restaurants though!
The reason my RW (you like using that acronym) chose to move to the US is that I make a lot more money here than she did in Russia.  Soon I will be retiring and Moscow is not off the table.  I have never been hassled by the Police or the people of Moscow or any other city that I have been to.  Your preconceptions of Russia are just stupid and you are very ill-informed.

It's not that I didn't like Shanghai, I know lots of people there and the lifestyle is pretty good, especially for an expat who likes to mingle and can speak the language. It's just that air pollution is so bad and so common it's become a fact of life in many major Chinese cities. It's probably worse in Beijing. I think it has to do with factories, mining, etc. I've read air pollution gets so bad in northern China that it causes air pollution in parts of Japan. Don't know how true that is.

HK great city to visit. It doesn't seem to suffer from air pollution to nearly the same degree as Shanghai and Beijing. Don't know if it's because of location, weather or other factors but the air is better in HK.

This is a common sight in Shanghai. If you go do wear the mask. It looks silly but makes a difference.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/us-china-pollution-idUSBRE90N0CF20130124

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
As for your points about transferring money, I was a banker and I've never heard of that excuse in Canada or the US. If a financial institution gave me that excuse I'd use another bank. There are lots of banks available.

Don't know about blood tests.

It was just my poor 3 months experience. Guess, more surprises in nearest future. If anything did not happen with you, it doesn't mean it can't be happen with others. But I like your try - "Don't know about .... (blood tests)".
Use it more often talking about Russia.  :biggrin:

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »

If you had asked on chat, we would have answered your questions right away.

1. Don't use a bank, use a "credit union" - they are friendlier and have almost the same services, for less money.

2. Not sure where you went, some medical places are staffed by idiots, it is true! -- probably if you go to a nice suburb and use a clinic there, the people there are better paid, more talented.

Anchors Rewoven

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »

1. Don't use a bank, use a "credit union" - they are friendlier and have almost the same services, for less money.

2. Not sure where you went, some medical places are staffed by idiots, it is true! -- probably if you go to a nice suburb and use a clinic there, the people there are better paid, more talented.
Slumba, sorry, I did not ask for help, I know what to do in such situations. It was just an example of "perfect" service which can happen everywhere in the world. So better stop to paint Russia in black colour only till not all problems are fixed in your own country.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »

Slumba, sorry, I did not ask for help, I know what to do in such situations. It was just an example of "perfect" service which can happen everywhere in the world. So better stop to paint Russia in black colour only till not all problems are fixed in your own country.

Millaa read some of my posts in the Obama thread. I have lots to complain about in the US. Same goes for Canada. The difference is in the US and Canada the populace complains loud and often.

Whichever bank is giving you problems check their Twitter feed or Google them and see if others are having the same problems. Complain it's the right of every American, even permanent residents or those waiting for their card. 

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »

All negative aspects of any country can be compensated by good sex with a good man.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
All negative aspects of any country can be compensated by good sex with a good man.

I will not argue. But do you think WestCoast can pretend to be such a good man to live any country?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:53 PM »

I will not argue. But do you think WestCoast can pretend to be such a good man to live any country?

Cannot believe that there is something you do not argue about!! Lucky Lon!

Mr. WestCoast does not pretend to be such a good man.
He is a very good man.

Does it matter for you what is country outside when you are in bed with a good man?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:24 PM »

What is that? It says "You are ignoring this user." Did I do something wrong?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
OK. I fixed it. Sorry.
Is it women's day today on forum?

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

The fact of the matter is that there are many lists out there that will rank cities or countries based on quality of life. None of these lists will say that any of the top ranked places are "perfect" but they do try to give an overall picture of how they rank one compared to the next. The latest one released ranking cities by quality of life, had Australian and Canadian cities taking 8 of the 10 top spots  :-X I have yet to see ANY ranking that includes any Russian city in the top 10 or even top 20 or 25 in terms of quality of life...
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
Rasputin, what are the criteria for 'quality of life'?

We should remember that different cultures have quite different standards in this regard.

I confess, I can't imagine living in pretty much any place in the US that I have ever visited and I have no intention of moving anywhere else at the moment thus it'd seem that, in the end, quality of life is a personal matter - for those who have a choice and based upon the criteria that we each set.

Of course for those who never actually do anything (most people) the matter is moot because whatever shithole they are in is where they are.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
I would move to evpatoria in a heartbeat, if I could find the same paying job as I have here in NL.

Some discomfort people complain about simply can be solved easily by adopting the standing culture (When in Rome.....)

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
 :-\ I would be glad if less people "immigrate" to Moscow :-\
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Registration