Information & Chat > The Expatriate Life: Living in the FSU, Asia or Elsewhere

Westcoast: Nobody immigrates to the FSU from the west.

(1/69) > >>

WestCoast:
The great thing about living in the western world is the ability to move. If you prefer the lifestyle of eastern Europe move there, problem solved.

Nobody immigrates to the FSU from the west.

Manny:

--- Quote from: WestCoast on August 03, 2014, 09:42:00 AM ---Nobody immigrates to the FSU from the West.

--- End quote ---

That isn't quite true is it?

DBNeeley was an American who ended his days living in Ukraine.

Danchik is an American who lives in Russia.

Andrewfi is a Brit who lives in Estonia.

I know several Brits, Finns, and others who live in Estonia too. A pal of mine upped sticks and is now doing very well in Bulgaria.

And that's only a few off the top of my head from here. Head on over to some of the expat forums and they are heaving with Westerners who live in Moscow.

Also, several from here maintain second homes there (not wife's old apartment - places they bought or built since). Some plan to retire or semi-retire there.

As I have said before: Less Googling, more travelling.  :plane:

Halo:
David Neeley, God rest his soul, once posted that if he had a larger retirement income, he would not be living in Ukraine.  He also stated his wife would have to retrain, but that seemed to be a secondary consideration to the financial one.

Manny:

--- Quote from: Halo on August 03, 2014, 02:22:58 PM ---David Neeley, God rest his soul, once posted that if he had a larger retirement income, he would not be living in Ukraine.  He also stated his wife would have to retrain, but that seemed to be a secondary consideration to the financial one.

--- End quote ---

He may not have been a success story in the way we might have hoped, but to counter Westy's patently untrue statement that "nobody immigrates to the FSU from the west" he was a suitable example; being one of many who did.

There was also that myheart2ukraine clown that was an ex British soldier who went to live in Rivne. There are many who *choose* to live in the FSU was my point. I recall another British chap here (I forget his handle) who posts now and again, who was on a farm in Poland with his wife, but they since moved to Moscow. CC3 I read is also now living in Ukraine with his woman.

Point being, Westy was demonstrably wrong.

Halo:
Westy's statement of "all or nothing" was inaccurate.  However, the vast majority do not choose to live in the FSU.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version